Are Natural Sharpening Stones Totally Obsolete?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Are Natural Sharpening Stones Totally Obsolete?

Post by JD Spydo »

I've been a persistent knife user since the late 60s/early 70s. I even used to carry either a BUCK or KaBar folder to school when I was younger. Back in the day if you had a set of 3 to 4 good grade "Arkansas" stones you were considered "State of The Art" for sharpening gear. Oh there were man made and synthetic stones back then but more workmen and woodworkers I knew at that time just swore by those Arkansas ( novaculite" ) sharpening stones. I still have about 4 of my older Arkansas Stones but very rarely do I try to use them for any kind of sharpening job. About the only one I try to use at all is my extremely ultra-fine BLUE-BLACK Arkansas stone which is just like glass when you run your fingers over it. I use it in similar fashion as I use those F. Dick Sharpening Steels.

In the past few years I'm hearing less and less about any Natural type of sharpening stone anymore. Now I still have one rather coarse natural stone I like to use on occasions to remove extreme dings and dents with. It is an old Norton natural stone with the super weird name "Queer Creek Stone". I got it on Ebay for less than $5 some time back out of curiosity and I've found to to have some interesting properties. But I'm sure that using it in comparison to many of the newer stones that it wouldn't be ranked very high. But it does abrade better than Arkansas stones.

My cousin who is an old fashioned Barber used to brag to me about the Belgium Razor Stones he had ( coticules). I've looked into buying some of them but as pricey as they are I think my money might be better spent on newer, modern stones. Other than diamond I'm wondering if any natural stone is a viable sharpening tool any more with all these new Supersteel blades and tools. Or am I overlooking anything? I've heard that there are some really super high grade Arkansas Stones that some of the woodworkers still use. But other than that I really don't hear much said about Natural sharpening stones of any type. Are Natural Stones Obsolete for today's sharpening needs? If not then what is considered good by today's standards with natural sharpening stones?
Evil D

Re: Are Natural Sharpening Stones Totally Obsolete?

Post by Evil D »

Maybe for modern steels but there are still plenty of 1095 knives out there that work just fine with an Arkansas stone.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:00 am
Maybe for modern steels but there are still plenty of 1095 knives out there that work just fine with an Arkansas stone.
Yep...What he said.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

What I find really strange about the entire shift from Natural type stones regardless of what rock/mineral is used that the stones that Mother Nature provides are no longer considered viable or ideal. Because after all "diamond" is a product of Mother Nature. It would seem that there would be plenty of other rocks and materials out of the earth a guy could find that would take on any of these newer/modern steels.

If diamond is at the tip top of the Moh's Hardness scale then you would think that there would be natural materials close to it in hardness and the other necessary properties to make good abrasives?? :confused:
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

As a KME user i'd say the good ol' Arkansas are still very much alive and well. Just not for the first stages of putting a good edge on a modern (steel) knife, as it would take the patience of Job.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Arkansas stones still have a place. For modern high vanadium powder metal steels? Probably not, except for maybe polishing the bevel, but fine grit ceramic does that just fine.

I'm pretty much all diamond/ceramic, but I do have an Arkansas stone on my smith's tri-hone. It has a coarse ceramic, medium ceramic, and the hard Arkansas, and it works pretty well for certain knives and tools. Was sharpening my hatchet on it earlier, and that Arkansas polished the edge really well! I also use it for my 8cr13mov steel knives and it does a really good job.

I imagine if I had a carbon steel blade or some lower alloy I could use it no problem. But I enjoy my diamonds and ceramics as well. It's always good to have options!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:02 pm
What I find really strange about the entire shift from Natural type stones regardless of what rock/mineral is used that the stones that Mother Nature provides are no longer considered viable or ideal. Because after all "diamond" is a product of Mother Nature. It would seem that there would be plenty of other rocks and materials out of the earth a guy could find that would take on any of these newer/modern steels.

If diamond is at the tip top of the Moh's Hardness scale then you would think that there would be natural materials close to it in hardness and the other necessary properties to make good abrasives?? :confused:

I'm sure it boils down to cost somehow, as all things tend to do. Sapphire is pretty dang hard too but I don't think I've ever seen a bonded sapphire stone like diamond stones are made. Lansky have some "Sapphire stones" but that's just a marketing name. It could also be a simple case of diamonds doing well enough to not bother with anything else.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Not for me, Joe. :)

I have plenty of simple carbon steels particularly Scandis. My little Mora laminated whittling knives for example, I finish on a Translucent or Black Ark’ at zero degrees for silly sharp. :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I use Arkansas stones for my traditionals.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Joe, I was thinking about your question. I suppose in my case they would seem obsolete only because I never use them any more. The synthetic corobondunum-um(?) stones as well as diamonds are so available and work so darn well. If I had to I could go back but I just have had no reason to. I use garnet sandpaper more now to finish my edges before stropping on leather and the whole process is easier than the getting the stones out, oiling them up then cleaning up that mess. At most I use a drop or two of water or windex. It's easier and cleaner.

I started on Arkansas mediums and I just don't feel a real need to go back. I still keep some old ones though.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:08 pm
Not for me, Joe. :)

I have plenty of simple carbon steels particularly Scandis. My little Mora laminated whittling knives for example, I finish on a Translucent or Black Ark’ at zero degrees for silly sharp. :cool:
Wow BLOKE!! I had no idea that Arkansas ( novaculite) stones were even available over there in Steve Irwin land. As big and full of resources your great country is I kind of figured that maybe you guys had your own natural sharpening stones. Now I have heard that there are deposits of novaculite all over the planet. However I've been told that the continental United States is one of the few regions in the world where the novaculite is close enough to the surface to have access to it to mine it and/or extract it from the ground.

I just figured you would go out to Ayers Rock and cut you a piece of that big rock off and use it :D I was told that Ayers Rock is made of sandstone. I'm sure you and Mrs. Bloke probably carved your initials in it when you all were younger :D
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Translucent Arkansas is a beauty with simple carbon steels
vivi

Post by vivi »

Are they obsolete? Absolutely.

Are they still capable of maintaining most steels? Of course.

1980's laptops are obsolete, but one can still use them to make a spreadsheet.
:unicorn
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

GarageBoy wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:52 am
Translucent Arkansas is a beauty with simple carbon steels
I still think that the higher grade of Arkansas Stones have some value for sharpening. Some of those translucent novaculite stones that you made mention of are totally different than the average grade of Arkansas stonese.

I remember in one of the major woodworking magazines a couple of years ago that one of the contributing writers went on record as saying that the really good grades of novaculite had been mined completely out years ago. But in the past few years the Garrett Wade company had found some of these higher grade Arkansas stones.

i was told by one woodworker that some of the better grades of Arkansas stones had a polishing effect that many woodworkers highly desired. I've heard that "coticules" ( Belgium Razor Stones) is rated higher than most Arkansas stones. But the price you have to pay for them you might just as well get one of those high grade Shapton stones.