Shipping costs

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Tims

Shipping costs

Post by Tims »

As an Australian who buys 100% of my knives from the US, shipping costs are a large part of my buying experience. Free shipping is not a reality for me, up to 4 week waiting time is.

My buying process typically goes: Decide on knife > find a reputable retailer who will ship to OZ > find cheapest shipping.

‘Cheapest shipping’ tends to narrow my options to just a few retailers. More recently I’ve found it has left me with exactly one retailer having reasonable shipping.
$13 USD vs the next cheapest 33 USD. Approx’ 19 AUD vs 48 AUD respectively.

At around $65 USD/ $95 AUD, I don’t even entertain express options.

Where is the big discrepancy in cost coming from? Assuming retailers are using the same postal services. Is the extra cost in handling?

I guess this is a rant more than anything. I’m a realist and none of these retailers owe me anything. If I have to pay top dollar for shipping than so be it, it’s on me to modify my buying habits.

How do others outside the US feel about shipping costs? Do you just factor in the extra cost and accept it? Do you shop around for the cheapest shipping?
RustyIron

Re: Shipping costs

Post by RustyIron »

Cost of shipping has gone up exorbitantly in recent years. In years past, friends in Oz and I could send fairly heavy packages back and forth for about a buck a pound. Nowadays, it's no longer affordable.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Tims wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:21 pm
I can't say I have too much experience with int'l shipping, and none with Australia, but it's true, shipping costs have gone up dramatically. And I can quite understand your ruling out express options for the price they're wanting, but I've had such headaches over the years with "mishaps" in shipping that I've found air options (the expensive ones) get to where they are supposed to go, intact, on time, far more often than the cheaper alternatives. I can tell you, if I had to wait four weeks for a Sprint Run Spyderco to take a train, then a boat, then a trip through Customs for God knows how long, I'd never make it; they'd find my stroked-out body slumped over the keyboard. On the other hand, I'm a pro at getting refunds from shippers, I know their terms-of-service like the back of my hand.

Come to think of it, there's at least one authorized Spyderco dealer somewhere in Europe isn't there? Lamnia or something? Maybe it's time for one of you antipodean colonials to open up an online shop, start making things easier and cheaper for you lot!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I'm in the US and I've purchased mass produced and custom knives made for me in other countries. Sometimes I have to pay for the shipping from overseas, or the knife maker attends a show in the US and THEN places the item in to US Parcel Post for delivery.

I don't let shipping get in my way if I really want the item, but I may have to wait quite a long time for delivery.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Tims wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:21 pm
‘Cheapest shipping’ tends to narrow my options to just a few retailers. More recently I’ve found it has left me with exactly one retailer having reasonable shipping. $13 USD vs the next cheapest 33 USD. Approx’ 19 AUD vs 48 AUD respectively.

Where is the big discrepancy in cost coming from? Assuming retailers are using the same postal services. Is the extra cost in handling?

I suspect that, in some cases at least, it's how risk averse the dealer is. The guy who charges $13 is crossing his fingers and praying the knife reaches you. He either does enough business at a high enough margin to be willing and able to absorb any losses, or just hasn't been burned often enough or badly enough yet to know better. The one charging $33 has at least some insurance protection, whether from the USPS or a private insurer.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I understand money is tight especially on a luxury like knives, but for international shipping I would personally opt for the most reliable method, regardless of cost.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Knifeworks charges USD 21.95 for shipping by USPS and I’m closer to you, but more out of the way. That comes with insurance and tracking.

Often the cost is due to the shipper and then to the location and difficulty. UPS (not USPS) is very high, as are DHL and FedEx. Some companies only use these options. Location is another. If you are in the Congo or Nigeria or someplace it can cost USD150.00 to ship a knife, or more. If you are in the mountains of NZ or the Outback of Australia with few roads and people, expect to pay more.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Hey Tim, shipping is crazy for us colonials and the indiscrepancies leave me scratching my head. Lamnia in Finland are excellent to deal with and offer free shipping for orders $AU200 and above. Plus they require a signature on receipt and if no one’s home they take the package to your local post office ... nice and safe. :cool:

KnifeCentre, for example ship folders for $US16 but packages are left by the Postie (no signature required), generally unsecured and if the package isn’t there when you get home ... unlucky! :eek:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:05 pm
Hey Tim, shipping is crazy for us colonials and the indiscrepancies leave me scratching my head. Lamnia in Finland are excellent to deal with and offer free shipping for orders $AU200 and above. Plus they require a signature on receipt and if no one’s home they take the package to your local post office ... nice and safe. :cool:

KnifeCentre, for example ship folders for $US16 but packages are left by the Postie (no signature required), generally unsecured and if the package isn’t there when you get home ... unlucky! :eek:
That's surprisingly cheap from knifecenter. Costs me about half that for the same service in USA.
:unicorn
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:23 pm
That's surprisingly cheap from knifecenter. Costs me about half that for the same service in USA.
Yes, I think it’s a good deal but no signature required makes it a little stressful. If beloved wife isn’t home that day I have the neighbors looking out for me. :rolleyes:
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:31 pm
Vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:23 pm
Yes, I think it’s a good deal but no signature required makes it a little stressful. If beloved wife isn’t home that day I have the neighbors looking out for me. :rolleyes:
rough neighborhood? I've always had my shipments left in my mailbox or at my door, and it hasn't been an issue....yet :)

Granted my most expensive mail order knife was only $200, if I were into pricier knives I'd be more worried.
:unicorn
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:35 pm
rough neighborhood?
No, Vivi, to the contrary we live in somewhat of an affluent suburb but what seems to be happening here of late is, there are some pretty well organised grubs that follow Postmen and pick up unsecured parcels as they’re dropped off.

We haven’t lost anything, nor our neighbors but it’s always at the back of my mind. :eek:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Yes, porch pirates follow UPS and FedEx in the USA and steal what they deliver.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050