Opinion of new Toyota Yaris

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
prndltech

Re: Opinion of new Toyota Yaris

Post by prndltech »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:19 am
This new model is a far cry from the older versions. It’s not a no frill car. The only thing it does not have is power seats. Like the Celica and Corolla before, they keep upgrading until the car is mor luxury car and the cost soars.

I forgot to mention this car also has front and rear cameras with recorders, plus tinted security windows.
Yes, you’re right. I can hardly believe what they have become... the corolla as well! My dad bought a 2015 I think? A year or 2 ago that was a loaner vehicle from the local dealership. It’s almost not even a corolla to me anymore.

Me, my family and extended family all drive Toyota’s or Lexus.

Between us we’ve had/have:
Prius’
Yaris
Matrix
RAV4
tundras
Camry’s
Avalon
ES330
ES350
RX350’s
Maybe some other one I’m forgetting ;)

My opinion... get one. From what I’ve seen to date, you can not go wrong with a Yaris.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

To add to this, the die hard Honda guy next to me... him and his wife now have a corolla and a rav4 and no Honda’s. I sold my 14 Avalon to a coworker who was a die hard Honda lady. Guy that works across from me has an older Lexus (finally) and my boss just bought another sc430 for a little cruiser.... there’s a combined 75+ years experience that says Toyota is pretty freakin solid.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

shunsui wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:13 pm
4Runners are the poor man's Land Cruiser, made in Japan at the same plant.

These things can run forever if you change the oil.

Good deals on 2019 models WITHOUT all the safety radar tech. 2020 models HAVE the safety tech and Apple Car Play, so the dealers probably are having a hard time selling the 2019's. Costco has an auto buying program that will save you some money and the dealer's have $1500 back until Nov 4 IIRC. (Might increase in November)

If you're not a fan of the car's computer playing with your brakes and steering, it might be a good choice. (Software always works perfectly, right ?)

Port injection engine that doesn't build up crud on your valves like direct injection... just an added bonus.

A Savage review:
https://youtu.be/x2d2ZO19AWw
On my mom's 2019 Camry, I played around with the computer and used the car for several hundred miles. There are 3 settings for how much control the computer has for steering the car and braking. The system goes all the way from totally off to making small adjustments...it tries to move you "back in to the lane" if you cross a solid line in the road.

I absolutely do not recommend the computer system, and more than once had the system trying to "fix" the driving situation by grabbing control and steering the car. It can be overridden, by steering the car. The problem is that the computer does not know where the lane is, or which lane you are trying to merge in too, OR stay out of. DO NOT USE THE COMPUTER TO STEER THE CAR.

Other than that the car seems like a very nice car. It's a 4cyl, so it is kind of torquey at the top end. It is more powerful than I thought. It goes from mild mannered to full blast when it gets on the cam.

Has 5,500 miles on it, and averages 26 to 27mpg overall, but you can get in to the 40's if you work on it.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I would check out anything you are planning to buy completely.

With all the issues in the automotive industry these days, and that is across the board, all makers, it really pays to be careful.

You couldn't give me a new car today, I don't care who made it.

Talking to mechanics is your best bet, and not ones who work for Toyota either if you want the real info.

Toyota is well known for fixing issues and or replacing things (issues/flaws) when you take them into the dealers to get worked on.... Even a simple oil change....

So they keep their high ratings with the customers, repairs that the customer never knows about. ;)
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:13 am

Talking to mechanics is your best bet, and not ones who work for Toyota either if you want the real info.

Toyota is well known for fixing issues and or replacing things (issues/flaws) when you take them into the dealers to get worked on.... Even a simple oil change....

So they keep their high ratings with the customers, repairs that the customer never knows about. ;)
I’m with you. All the new stuff is the same. You can thank the EPA for that.

Most wire harnesses are made in Mexico, doesn’t matter what brand of car you buy... there’s only like 2 major airbag manufacturers, so every brand has issues... the list goes on and on. A car might be assembled here, but it is far from made here.

Also, dealers don’t just fix stuff without the customer knowing, unless they themselves messed it up. If it’s a problem with the car that needs to be fixed under warranty, the customer will be made aware of it because it has to be on the ticket for warranty purposes so the dealer can get payed from Toyota. Not to say it can’t happen, but there’s a whole other issue of fraud... things being “fixed” that weren’t really broke to begin with.

Also, I do not work for Toyota anymore, I haven’t been at a stealership in a long time.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

My friend bought a Yaris when they first came out for his wife who is a Teacher. They were getting incredible fuel mileage he was getting way over 400 miles to the tank.(700 km) but I don't think the new Yaris are quite as good. The car how ever road like a go-cart. The suspension was super stiff, the doors felt flimsy, and it was blander then dirt. If you can afford it I think the Prius actually rides much nicer and you get slightly better mileage. The weird thing with the Prius the bigger 1.8 motor gets way better mileage then the 1.5.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

prndltech wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:38 am
Ankerson wrote:

Most wire harnesses are made in Mexico, doesn’t matter what brand of car you buy... there’s only like 2 major airbag manufacturers, so every brand has issues... the list goes on and on. A car might be assembled here, but it is far from made here.

Also, dealers don’t just fix stuff without the customer knowing, unless they themselves messed it up. If it’s a problem with the car that needs to be fixed under warranty, the customer will be made aware of it because it has to be on the ticket for warranty purposes so the dealer can get payed from Toyota. Not to say it can’t happen, but there’s a whole other issue of fraud... things being “fixed” that weren’t really broke to begin with.

Also, I do not work for Toyota anymore, I haven’t been at a stealership in a long time.

There was an actual writeup on it awhile back.. They got busted... Not sure whatever happened with it though..

Yeah they are on the ticket under some vague listing from what the writeup said.

Was all about inflating the customer ratings etc...

I am keeping the two cars I have, 2005 and 2006, low miles on both. Will not buy a new car...

With all of the massive recalls these days makes one wonder what other issues there are that haven't been found yet...
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:26 pm
prndltech wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

There was an actual writeup on it awhile back.. They got busted... Not sure whatever happened with it though..

Yeah they are on the ticket under some vague listing from what the writeup said.

I am keeping the two cars I have, 2005 and 2006, low miles on both. Will not buy a new car...

With all of the massive recalls these days makes one wonder what other issues there are that haven't been found yet...
Yup. I saw it all... totally criminal.

I’ve always been a truck guy, had em my whole life. I wouldn’t trade my tundras for a Lamborghini... well, I might... but only to sell the Lamborghini, buy another truck and pay off my house!

Also... I only encourage people to buy new cars so I can buy used ;)
Cars aren’t good investments.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

A comparable Honda costs a great deal more that the Toyota because all of the things that are standard on the Yaris are optional or non existent. Nissan is cheaper but an adult male can’t get into one.

Looks like Yaris it is. It is full of features.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

prndltech wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:01 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:26 pm
prndltech wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Yup. I saw it all... totally criminal.

I’ve always been a truck guy, had em my whole life. I wouldn’t trade my tundras for a Lamborghini... well, I might... but only to sell the Lamborghini, buy another truck and pay off my house!

Also... I only encourage people to buy new cars so I can buy used ;)
Cars aren’t good investments.

I am with you there, I own a truck and an SUV.

Haven't owned a regular car since 2005.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ankerson wrote:

I really prefer cars no later than about 2005 but it's getting harder and harder to find them in decent shape. If I had it my way I'd drive even older, but again finding one that isn't rusted out is a challenge.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:35 am
Ankerson wrote:

I really prefer cars no later than about 2005 but it's getting harder and harder to find them in decent shape. If I had it my way I'd drive even older, but again finding one that isn't rusted out is a challenge.

I know that, most people don't take care of their cars either as in general maintenance other maybe than changing the oil on time, that's another problem. I see a lot of cars running on freaking bald tires so they don't even take care of that. That and they put cheap gas in them etc.... Most of the older one look like crap here too. Mine still look pretty new, better than most of the newer ones.

So getting something older can be a rather large risk of ending up with massive repair bills.
yshielynn

Post by yshielynn »

I rented the Yaris in Phuket for 2 days after driving the Jazz, so it's with some authority that I say that the Yaris was way better than the Jazz.

1st of all the Yaris was more stable and more peppy than the Jazz, fuel consumption was also lower. And the city steering wheel was very light, too light but that's something that I could get used to. View from the driver position is also good as the A-pillar does not block the driver's view as per the Jazz. But there were a few things I did not like, like the dials which were in the middle, that was pretty stupid, the fuel gauge is in a digital bar format (which I hate). And the twist style aircon dials pretty much irritated me.And of course, the boot, that is small, but if there are only the two of you in the car most times, then its fine.

However with all its cons, it would still be my choice for a small car but you will have to live with the terrible interior and the small boot.