No More Curvise Writing In Schools??

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
wrdwrght

Re: No More Curvise Writing In Schools??

Post by wrdwrght »

James Y wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:26 pm
In many cases it’s the parents’ attitudes passed down to the kids, but there are also more and more kids now being influenced by online hate groups. I’m talking about homegrown hate groups.

Jim
And what parental immunities are such kids NOT being given in their homes.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
In many cases it’s the parents’ attitudes passed down to the kids, but there are also more and more kids now being influenced by online hate groups. I’m talking about homegrown hate groups.

Jim

There is always that, being the parents influence the kids, it's always been that way.

The hate group thing can be a lot of different things I believe.

A lot of it as in MOST of it comes from the media however, the media being what they are... ;)

Now for people that can think for themselves aren't influenced by such things. ;)

For sheep? Well that's different...

The media in general is highly unreliable at best and causes most of the real issues either directly or indirectly that is going on currently..

All they are doing is spreading hate and misdirection...

Then there is the educational system, being what they are for the most part isn't helping anything either... They are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

It needs to be gutted IMO and start over with responsible people who aren't pushing their beliefs on the kids. That's from grade 1 all the way through college and graduate schools.

There are a lot of things influencing the kids today as above. I don't think most of them have a chance really these days... Nor the generations after... All most of them will end up being are programed drones with no real thoughts of their own..

What to do about it, well I have my opinions... ;)
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:39 pm
James Y wrote:

Jim

There is always that, being the parents influence the kids, it's always been that way.

A lot of it as in MOST of it comes from the media however, the media being what they are... ;)

Now for people that can think for themselves aren't influenced by such things. ;)

The media in general is highly unreliable at best and causes most of the real issues either directly or indirectly that is going on currently..

Then there is the educational system, being what they are for the most part isn't helping anything either... They are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

It needs to be gutted IMO and start over with responsible people who aren't pushing their beliefs on the kids. That's from grade 1 all the way through college and graduate schools.

There are a lot of things influencing the kids today as above. I don't think most of them have a chance really these days... Nor the generations after...

I agree with this.

Unfortunately, there are a high percentage of people who cannot or will not think for themselves.

As for the educational system, I don’t envy the young people nowadays. It sure as heck was far from perfect when I was a kid, but I still wouldn’t trade places for anything.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:15 pm
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

There are a lot of things influencing the kids today as above. I don't think most of them have a chance really these days... Nor the generations after...

I agree with this.

Unfortunately, there are high percentage of people who cannot or will not think for themselves.

As for the educational system, I don’t envy the young people nowadays. It sure as heck was far from perfect when I was a kid, but I still wouldn’t trade places for anything.

Jim

I always marched to my own drummer personally, never followed the crowd...

If they were going one way I would be going in the other direction.

If there was 9 other people that thought one way I would be the one to question it or ask the other 9 what the **** are they thinking.

Never had any hero worship, never cared about any celebrities' etc... I am of the thought that everyone's the same, we all put our pants on the same way etc.

We all end up the same way in the end no matter what we did in life. :)

Never followed any fads nor cared what was the in thing.

That might not make me popular, but at least I can think for myself and I am not a sheep.

If an academic PHD comes up to me etc, says they are a PHD.. I am like OK, what have you actually done to deserve my respect for me to call you DR. besides prove you have a library card and have an inflated opinion of themselves?

Now a Medical Dr. is different, they actually do something, save lives etc. :)
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:20 pm
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

I agree with this.

Unfortunately, there are high percentage of people who cannot or will not think for themselves.

Jim

If there was 9 other people that thought one way I would be the one to question it or ask the other 9 what the **** are they thinking.

Never had any hero worship, never cared about any celebrities' etc... I am of the thought that everyone's the same, we all put our pants on the same way etc.

That might not make me popular, but at least I can think for myself and I am not a sheep.

If an academic PHD comes up to me etc, says they are a PHD.. I am like OK, what have you actually done to deserve my respect for me to call you DR. besides prove you have a library card and have an inflated opinion of themselves?

I've been pretty similar...always nice to hear from others whose viewpoints differ from the standard norm, but in a good way.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:01 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:20 pm
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

I agree with this.

Jim

I've been pretty similar...always nice to hear from others whose viewpoints differ from the standard norm, but in a good way.

Jim

Jim,

Never understood the as you say the standard norm personally.

Maybe because I think differently so it never made any since to me at all.

As the old saying goes....

If all the other people jump off a cliff are you going to follow them?
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:59 pm
The thread title sure is ironic considering the cries of intellectual decline :D
I was wondering who was gonna comment on that first. :D
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:10 pm

I agree with you that we rely too much on technology. Especially millennials and younger who have never lived in a world that wasn’t almost 100% computer-dependent. If the grid ever goes down, things will be far, far worse than they would be if everything and everyone weren’t so tech-dependent. Many people can’t even drive somewhere they’ve never been without using the computer-guided direction systems in their cars (I don’t know what it’s called).

Jim

Or before cellphones. ;)

When I was going to school we didn't have any technology other than simple calculators... We couldn't use them, nobody had them anyway.

There weren't even digital watches yet until I was in high school... And those were LED, the LCD watches came later.

Computers still took up whole rooms and took punch cards..

Basically we didn't have any technology. If we needed to know something we went to the library or we looked at our encyclopedias.

It was all pen and paper and typewriter.

Cordless phones didn't exist, most people still had rotary phones and maybe some LONG cords so they would walk around while talking.

We could read a map, tell the time on a non digital watch and actually read and write.
Last edited by Ankerson on Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Hahahaha, SG for the win!!!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:20 am

I was out of school, and out of the Military for a few YEARS BEFORE I saw my 1st car phone, cell phones didn't exist yet..

When I was in College I used a computer for the 1st time, and that was just a terminal that was hooked into the mainframe like all the others in the Computer room. Had to save everything on a 5 1/4" floppy disk. Was all green screen back then... Just text...

And that was after I was out of the Military for over 5 years.. ;)

Fast forward to today:

People need an app to do anything... Even for the simplest things.... Or they can't do it.

They have to look up how to do even the simplest things that we all knew how to do already for decades..

People don't even talk to each other anymore, even on the phone or even if they are in the same room. They text each other... Even if standing next to each other.

James is right, if there was a technology blackout most people would be in a lot of trouble in a real hurry. Especially the younger generations...

This whole thing is much deeper than just No More Curvise Writing, MUCH deeper.

It's about the lack of basic skills that MOST people don't have today.

Take away technology today and most people would be completely lost, that's the real problem.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:45 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:

I was out of school, and out of the Military for a few YEARS BEFORE I saw my 1st car phone, cell phones didn't exist yet..

When I was in College I used a computer for the 1st time, and that was just a terminal that was hooked into the mainframe like all the others in the Computer room. Had to save everything on a 5 1/4" floppy disk. Was all green screen back then... Just text...

Fast forward to today:

People need an app to do anything... Even for the simplest things.... Or they can't do it.

They have to look up how to do even the simplest things that we all knew how to do already for decades..

People don't even talk to each other anymore, even on the phone or even if they are in the same room. They text each other... Even if standing next to each other.

James is right, if there was a technology blackout most people would be in a lot of trouble in a real hurry. Especially the younger generations...

Take away technology today and most people would be completely lost, that's the real problem.
This is the truth. It’s not about being a Luddite or being “cranky old men,” as some seem to be taking it. The problems arise when technology becomes a crutch instead of a tool. There are too many people whose entire attention is taken up by their iPhones and other tech devices. It cannot be denied that too many nowadays can’t even function without them. And yes, many people, especially many kids and young adults today, can’t even properly speak to other people directly due to lack of socialization, like zombies. Technology should be a tool, not something that runs your entire life. Being overly tech-dependent also makes people easier to control.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:08 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:

Fast forward to today:

This is the truth. It’s not about being a Luddite or being “cranky old men,” as some seem to be taking it. The problems arise when technology becomes a crutch instead of a tool. There are too many people whose entire attention is taken up by their iPhones and other tech devices. It cannot be denied that too many nowadays can’t even function without them. And yes, many people, especially many kids and young adults today, can’t even properly speak to other people directly due to lack of socialization, like zombies. Technology should be a tool, not something that runs your entire life. Being overly tech-dependent also makes people easier to control.

Jim

I agree, although I think it's become much more than just a crutch over the years. It's ingrained into society in such a way that it's gone well beyond just a crutch. It's not a good thing either in any way, what it's become.. Take the technology away and it will cripple a large majority of people because they have no real skills. That and other things you talked about... We have generations now that have no clue how to live without their smart phones/cell phones and all of the technology that does it all for them. It's VERY bad....

I remember talking with others about cell phones and how it was a very bad idea in general..... That's when they 1st came out in the 80's....(Car Phones) Then cell phones in the 90's...

We were right about that one....

Then Smart Phones came out and we talked about that too in the same way, another even worse idea.

Looks like we were also right about that one too.

Sometimes you can see the writing on the wall, and it doesn't say anything positive.....

But it's gotten way out of hand now and there looks to be no end in sight....

They will likely go down in history as the worst invention that humans ever made besides Nuclear and Chemical weapons.... The real difference is that cell phones are much worse ;)

They are for the most part destroying society from the inside out....

Some of us are old enough that we lived and were adults before it all started so we can see how bad it has gotten over the past 30 years. We actually lived through all of the changes and most of them are not good..
vivi

Post by vivi »

Ankerson wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:

Fast forward to today:

On the flip side, how many older posters here had to depend on my guide to figure out how to upload a photo to a web forum? Something I figured out how to do on my own when I was 7 or 8.

80 years ago folks would have been lost without technology too. Same with 800 years ago. Technology =\= smart phones. Building a fire, electricity, a writing system, the concept of money, roads, planned city construction, concrete, metalworking, selective breeding of animals and plants to promote specific traits....these are all examples of technology older generations depended on as much as today's generation depends on their technology.
:unicorn
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:46 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:

Fast forward to today:

On the flip side, how many older posters here had to depend on my guide to figure out how to upload a photo to a web forum? Something I figured out how to do on my own when I was 7 or 8.

80 years ago folks would have been lost without technology too. Same with 800 years ago. Technology =\= smart phones. Building a fire, electricity, a writing system, the concept of money, roads, planned city construction, concrete, metalworking, selective breeding of animals and plants to promote specific traits....these are all examples of technology older generations depended on as much as today's generation depends on their technology.

Not me, I have been very active with computers and or had worked in that industry for about 30 years now...

I do not own a smart phone, nor will I ever own one....

There is a rather large difference in something that is actually or can be beneficial to society such as the wheel as an example. Then there are other things that actually are a hindrance to society like smart phones as an example. One is a tool and is actually beneficial and the other is a hindrance as has been shown.

People started building roads about 5,000 years ago.... ;)

Same with cities, started more than 5,000 years ago. However there are cities that have been dated over 20,000 years ago... They didn't have smart phones either that did everything for them including thinking, they did everything by hand.

However to keep things real here there is a rather large difference in MODERN technology like a smart phone and what it is doing to society and the other things that you outlined. Especially when you take into count what smart phones are doing to society in negative ways. Or to make it clearer society is regressing... The last time that happened was after the fall of the Romain Empire and that lasted well over 1,000 years, it was known as the dark ages..... Smart Phones have caused a disconnect in society that has not been seen in more than 1,500 years....

Humans have been on this planet going on for about 1,000,000 years now in some form.

They were not lost either, they survived obviously or we all wouldn't be here now.

The US is about 230 years old now, people survived and actually lived pretty well without the modern technology like smart phones.

Fast forward to more modern times, there was life before smart phones etc, I know because I and others like me lived for decades before they were invented... They could disappear tomorrow and I doubt a lot of people like me would really miss them.

You don't miss something that you don't need. ;)
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:26 pm
There is deep sense in this sentence/statement.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
James Y

Post by James Y »

Right near where I live, there are seaside cliffs where, over the last few years (including this year), there have been at least 3 or 4 deaths of young people who went around the clearly placed warning signs and safety barriers, and fell to their deaths trying to get selfies. About 15 miles up the coast, some morons were trying to get a selfie by getting as close as possible to a passing train, and one of them was struck dead by a part of the train. Yet another pedestrian was so engrossed in his iPhone that he absentmindedly went around a barrier at a train crossing, ignoring several people yelling at him, and was struck dead by an oncoming train as he walked towards the tracks at a diagonal, completely engrossed in his iPhone. Apparently, it wasn’t a suicide but negligence on the guy’s part due to his being mesmerized by his iPhone.

I see it all the time. Just this afternoon while driving, there were throngs of middle school-age kids walking home, in groups or alone, and virtually all of them were engrossed in their iPhones. At intersections, some even stepped into the street without even looking up from their iPhones. “Everyone else has to look out for ME, and if not, if I don’t see it, it can’t hurt me” type of mentality.

Now, all of these things might seem perfectly normal if that’s how someone grew up and that’s all they’ve ever known. To someone who ever knew a time before all that, it isn’t normal at all. There are all kinds of ways someone can die, natural or accidental; but dying for a selfie, or because you were so engrossed in your device, is a really dumb (and I’m wording it kindly here for the forum) way to go. There is no nicer way to put it.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

To say that you don't NEED cursive handwriting skills is similar to saying that you don't need math skills>> it's the same as saying you don't need social skills or to possess the skills of a wise consumer. It's such a basic skill that to lose such skills is truly a "dumbing down" process that is by design.

Yeah just wait till everyone is 1000% dependent on smart phones and keyboards and they eliminate libraries. You all may think you don't need any of those traditional skills and provisions now but just wait till their all gone :( . Then you'll maybe see why I launched this thread to begin with.

Sure you can say that I'm old fashioned, or stuck in the mudd or longing for the old days. But when this all becomes an Orwellian nightmare out of **** itself ( which could happen very soon) then you all won't think that I'm an over-reacting nut job :(

This is all by design like the California black-outs, the tyranny at the airports and the elimination of the brick & mortar stores in your local area. It's like the old song lyrics say "You Don't Know What You Got Till It's Gone" >> truly I hope you all can laugh at me in 5 years from now>> but I don't think that will be the case.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:26 pm
Vivi wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:46 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:

Fast forward to today:

Not me, I have been very active with computers and or had worked in that industry for about 30 years now...

I do not own a smart phone, nor will I ever own one....

There is a rather large difference in something that is actually or can be beneficial to society such as the wheel as an example. Then there are other things that actually are a hindrance to society like smart phones as an example. One is a tool and is actually beneficial and the other is a hindrance as has been shown.

People started building roads about 5,000 years ago.... ;)

Same with cities, started more than 5,000 years ago. However there are cities that have been dated over 20,000 years ago... They didn't have smart phones either that did everything for them including thinking, they did everything by hand.

However to keep things real here there is a rather large difference in MODERN technology like a smart phone and what it is doing to society and the other things that you outlined. Especially when you take into count what smart phones are doing to society in negative ways. Or to make it clearer society is regressing... The last time that happened was after the fall of the Romain Empire and that lasted well over 1,000 years, it was known as the dark ages..... Smart Phones have caused a disconnect in society that has not been seen in more than 1,500 years....

Humans have been on this planet going on for about 1,000,000 years now in some form.

They were not lost either, they survived obviously or we all wouldn't be here now.

The US is about 230 years old now, people survived and actually lived pretty well without the modern technology like smart phones.

Fast forward to more modern times, there was life before smart phones etc, I know because I and others like me lived for decades before they were invented... They could disappear tomorrow and I doubt a lot of people like me would really miss them.

So let me get this straight. You're perfectly fine with a desktop computer or laptop (You are active on various internet forums after all), but if that same computer is manufactured to be pocket sized, they're the bane of society?

Why?

These are pocket sized devices that can function as:

Calculator, phone, map, notebook, encyclopedia, dictionary, sketchpad, remote control, flashlight, ruler, camera, video camera, watch, alarm clock, portable backup hard drive, game console, virtual machine for emulating desktop OS's, FTP server....you can carry around your entire book collection in your pocket. Your entire music collection. You can enjoy most of these features without ever connecting to the internet.

You don't have be tied to it 24/7 and incapable of doing basic math or reading a map to find them useful. You can leave it in your car or home, turned off, only using it when you absolutely need to.

It's very strange to me that people in this thread think it's ok sitting at a computer all day, but carrying a computer in your pocket and using it here and there is a bane on society.

I drove a few cities over to hike a mountain yesterday. Had my phone with me the entire time. Never used it for a map, got there using my head. But I got some pretty awesome pictures of me and my niece making it to the summit for the first time together. Am I degrading society by capturing the child wonder on her face as she "looks out at the entire world!" as she put it? Did using a pocket computer for that instead of a dedicated camera ruin the experience for her?

Just because older generations got by without something, does not mean they would not value it. Incans would probably have found value in iron smelting, but they managed pretty will without it until some iron smelters ****ed their **** up in the 1500's.
vivi

Post by vivi »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:57 am
To say that you don't NEED cursive handwriting skills is similar to saying that you don't need math skills>> it's the same as saying you don't need social skills or to possess the skills of a wise consumer. It's such a basic skill that to lose such skills is truly a "dumbing down" process that is by design.
I could not disagree more. Since I left school there hasn't been a single time knowing cursive writing benefited me. Basic math comes in handy daily on the other hand. I get a lot more use out of the evil magic I learned in comp tech 1&2 then I did penmanship. I can say from experience as an 18 year old employers were more interested in my multiple computer certifications than the quality of my writing.
Yeah just wait till everyone is 1000% dependent on smart phones and keyboards and they eliminate libraries. You all may think you don't need any of those traditional skills and provisions now but just wait till their all gone :( . Then you'll maybe see why I launched this thread to begin with.
You depended on a computer and keyboard to relay this message to us JD. Why didn't you write us all cursive letters instead? Because one method is more efficient. Does this mean you made a smart decision based on the value you place on your time, or does this mean you're dad was smart than you, and you're and dependent on technology?

Well, even if you did write letters, you'd be depending on pen and paper technology. Then you'd be depending on some other sort of tech to deliver them, assuming you aren't going to walk mine to my house. Good luck giving Bloke his letter without depending on additional technology! ;)

Carrying my computer in my pocket rather than leaving it on my desk at home lets me do certain tasks in my life more efficiently. Just like using your comouter let you talk to us more efficiently than letters.
Sure you can say that I'm old fashioned, or stuck in the mudd or longing for the old days. But when this all becomes an Orwellian nightmare out of **** itself ( which could happen very soon) then you all won't think that I'm an over-reacting nut job :(

This is all by design like the California black-outs, the tyranny at the airports and the elimination of the brick & mortar stores in your local area. It's like the old song lyrics say "You Don't Know What You Got Till It's Gone" >> truly I hope you all can laugh at me in 5 years from now>> but I don't think that will be the case.
I think you're giving in to misguided fear to be honest. Why do you and Ankerson draw such a distinction between desktop computers and pocket computers? Why do you both espouse the evil of the latter, while using the former to convey that message? How do you justify your position?

You can embrace technology with depending on it JD. I sometimes use a lighter to start a camp fire. Sometimes I use a firesteel. Both pieces of technology. But I can make friction fires too, I've done it hundreds of times. Lighters are a lot more efficient, and let me spend more time with the people I brought with me versus rubbing some sticks together.

I've gone out of my way to learn how to do things "the old way," or by hand. Doesn't mean anytime I want a fire I'm using friction. Just like I'm not rolling a baguette every time I want bread for a sandwich. I've built myself shoes out of things I found in the forest, braiding my own rope and all. I enjoy life more embracing shoe companies. I'd imagine everyone else here does as well ;)