Storing fixed blades in nylon sheaths.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Fright_Fox

Storing fixed blades in nylon sheaths.

Post by Fright_Fox »

Hey everyone I have stored fixed blades wiped with tuff glide in kydex sheaths for long periods of time with no corrosion issues, I know leather is a different story and can corrode but what about nylon?
JD Spydo

Re: Storing fixed blades in nylon sheaths.

Post by JD Spydo »

Fright_Fox wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:32 pm
Hey everyone I have stored fixed blades wiped with tuff glide in kydex sheaths for long periods of time with no corrosion issues, I know leather is a different story and can corrode but what about nylon?
Interesting! Because that now makes me think that I'm not so weird after all. Because most of my knife brethren think I'm screwy for not liking or loving leather sheaths. I feel out of love with leather sheaths about 20 years ago. Take my older Spyderco TEMP 1 model for instance that came with a factory TEK-LOK sheath which is either nylon, kydex or some type of polymer material. I absolutely love it and I've had nothing but excellent luck with it. It holds a fixed blade firmly and securely, I've never had a failure of any kind with those polymer sheaths either. I've never experienced any condensation or corrosion of any type. Not to mention that fixed blades deploy so nicely with polymer sheaths. So what more could a guy ask for?
I think that there is a lot of traditional romance involved with most people's love of leather sheaths. To me they are a bit of a maintenance hassle,. I've even had them leave stains on blades before. I just flat out like the newer sheaths made with polymer materials the best for my uses of fixed blade knives.
Oh I'm sure that leather has some certain advantages>> but everything I need in a fixed blade sheath I find that nylon, kydex and similar materials do me just fine.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It should be fine barring any unseen moisture.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

No issues at all.
Fright_Fox

Post by Fright_Fox »

Thanks guys.