Neck Knives? Good or Bad?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Neck Knives? Good or Bad?

Post by JD Spydo »

Many years ago I was given a really cool book entitled "Everybody's Knife Bible" written by a former Green Beret named Don Paul. I don't know if the book is still in print or not I haven't checked it out lately. But it was a very interesting book as far as practical, tactical and survival uses of knives ( fixed blade & folders). There was one recommendation he stated in that book that I kind of took seriously at the time but lately I've been having second thoughts on it. He stated in one chapter that "Neck Knives" were basically a fad and not of much practical use>>> now I'm not quoting that verbatim I'm just paraphrasing what I remember because it's been years since I read it.

But a lot of time and a lot of changes have transpired in the overall knife market since the late 90s when I read that book. The recent issue of OFF GRID magazine which is now one of the very few survival type publications that I even care to read anymore just did a nice article on Neck Knives and they reviewed many of the newer ones on the market at this time. Actually I was sort of impressed with what I read. Just from my personal observation I can' plainly see that most of the Neck Knives on the market today are much better designed and made with much higher quality materials than the "Mall Ninja" stuff that was mainly available back in the late 90s.

So I'm wanting to get your thoughts on Neck Knives? Also is there a type or design you particularly like? What would be one of the better models for practical uses and/or survival? Which companies do you think has really good Neck Knives? Or do you think Mr. Paul had it right to begin with and avoid them all together?
James Y

Re: Neck Knives? Good or Bad?

Post by James Y »

I tried out some neck knives back around the early 2000s, when their early popularity was in full swing. I never could feel comfortable wearing a neck knife. I had some from Cold Steel, Emerson, and even one from CRKT. I hated them twisting around under my shirt, and I hate having anything more than my shirt around my neck. I did not find neck knives any easier to deploy than a regular folder; in fact, it was much slower, having to reach under my shirt to get to it, especially if you tuck your shirt in, which I must do in my work place, for example.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I like them, but when I have one on me it is my last ditch tool. I have two (Spartan Enyo, Bastinelli Picoeur) and don't always wear one. Prefer them in a good steel. Wish that I had more.

In order of desire for carry: 3.5 to 4.5 inch fixed blade knife, 3.5 to 4.0 folder, 2.0+ inch neck knife.

Now that Winter is fast approaching us here in Illinois, and full length coats are worn everywhere, it allows me to carry a fixed blade knife more frequently. Illinois does not have a maximum carry blade length allegedly but if charged with a crime, you start at a felony if a knife is used in the commission of a crime and it has a blade over 3.0 inches in length.

Other knives that may make excellent neck knives are the Spyderco Street Beat, Tops Cut 4.0, Tops "The Quickie," TOPS Street Scalpel 2.0, TOPS I.C.E. Dagger, CRKT Clever Girl, Bastinelli Picoeur, ... but don't get the wrong idea. A neck knife can be any size that you can comfortably wear under a shirt without printing.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

What did disappoint me that with the dozen Neck Knives that were reviewed in the latest issue of OFF GRID magazine was that I didn't see any Spyderco Neck Knives to represent that line up..

Now a few years ago I got a Neck Knife sheath for my Spyderco DODO models from Mike Sastre who in the past has been a great contributor to the Forum as well. I've used it a couple of times and it wasn't bad at all.

I'm thinking that the SWICK model might be a great candidate for a Spyderco Neck Knife :cool:
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Personally, I'm a big fan of neck knives. I find them a useful addition to the folder in my pocket and even more useful when I'm pocket challenged.

That said, I consider many of the neck knives on the market to be too big and heavy to be carried in that manner and better suited to belt carry. IMHO, the best neck knives are around 5.5" (+/- 0.5") and as light as possible. For reference, I'm 5'10" so if you're significantly shorter or taller YMMV.

Most of the neck knives I own are customs, but some good production neckers are the White River Knucklehead 2, any of the Swick models (I have the 2 and the 4), and the SE ARC (smaller than my general preference but it works).
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

dsvirsky wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:48 pm
Personally, I'm a big fan of neck knives. I find them a useful addition to the folder in my pocket and even more useful when I'm pocket challenged.

That said, I consider many of the neck knives on the market to be too big and heavy to be carried in that manner and better suited to belt carry. IMHO, the best neck knives are around 5.5" (+/- 0.5") and as light as possible. For reference, I'm 5'10" so if you're significantly shorter or taller YMMV.

Most of the neck knives I own are customs, but some good production neckers are the White River Knucklehead 2, any of the Swick models (I have the 2 and the 4), and the SE ARC (smaller than my general preference but it works).
Even though I've got the sheath ( and a good one at that) for my Dodo model I'm kind of getting the drift that small fixed blades are probably the way to go if you're serious about carrying a Neck Knife. Also I think a small fixed blade Hawkbill would be ideal for that type of knife carry too.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Maybe for situations like camping or general outdoor use where I could wear it outside my shirt at all times but I don't think I could live with it being under my shirt. I remember Murray Carter really advocating them, he says they're faster to deploy than pocket clips in situations like when you're sitting in a car.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Generally I don’t like them. They are in the way and uncomfortable. However, there are times when nothing else is better. The ARK’s purpose is a good example. Most are too heavy, require two hands to re-sheath, and can knock out your teeth if you run with one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I clip one to the shoulder strap of my backpack when hiking. Usually a BK14 or the Street Beat. I absolutely love it when hiking.

I also find it extremely practical while ice fishing. I’m so bundled up that having it around my chest is the best way to go. I often clip a Swick to the shoulder strap on my Carhartt Arctic Bibs. Works awesome.

EDC? Nah, I can’t really get into it.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
A.S.

Post by A.S. »

I swear by a neck knife when i go fishing. It is the handiest way to always have a quick blade when you always seem to have your hands full. Any other day, it is a Spydie clipped in my pocket.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

A.S. wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:44 am
I swear by a neck knife when i go fishing. It is the handiest way to always have a quick blade when you always seem to have your hands full. Any other day, it is a Spydie clipped in my pocket.
That's a great concept and one I plan on trying out. It just makes perfect sense to have a knife more available more quickly while hunting or just on any outdoor activity.

Really when you think about it the older Spyderco "SNAP-It and CLIP-IT models were geared for outdoor activity. Not sure if they would have made good Neck Knives or not but they were designed for quick deployment for sure.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I don't know that neck knifes are necessarily either good or bad.. I think this is another of those subjective concepts that depends entirely on the preferences of the user. Me personally, I'm pretty indifferent towards them. Yes, they can be very useful for keeping a knife easily accessible while performing a moderately stationary task.. Ive used them in this regard and they have proven handy enough. However.. as soon as a lot of movement is added to the mix, I want no part of that knife dangling from my neck and bouncing all around. I also find them to be too much of a PITA when they are covered, as deploying the knife becomes more trouble than it's worth (I may or may not have cut a shirt on accident..) Also, I prefer a knife that offers a solid full 4 finger grip, or at least close to it. I find most neck knives that I've handled to be either too tiny to hold comfortably or too large to carry comfortably around the neck.. there doesn't seem to be much of a happy medium there. They also often seem to have some type of skeletonized handle, which I (normally) find to be quite uncomfortable (and usually way too small) without some type of scale or wrap.

I think neck knives do fill a role, and understand that they can be convenient in certain circumstances, but I find that I almost never carry them. Idk, like I say, it's a matter of preference.. they are not mine.

That said, I am very much looking forward to the upcoming Swick release, though I doubt I'll ever carry it as a true neck knife. I do think it will carry perfectly attached to the shoulder strap on my day-pack though!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I've always wanted a Spyderco ARK, but I wouldn't wear it as a neck knife.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

If I were younger and backpacking again, I would have a Helle Algonquin around my neck when in camp for the night. Handy. Available even in the dark and with a handle big enough to handle any in-camp stuff.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:08 am
I clip one to the shoulder strap of my backpack when hiking. Usually a BK14 or the Street Beat. I absolutely love it when hiking.

I also find it extremely practical while ice fishing. I’m so bundled up that having it around my chest is the best way to go. I often clip a Swick to the shoulder strap on my Carhartt Arctic Bibs. Works awesome.
The more I think about what you've just said the more I'm liking that idea. I think I would even like a conventional Neck Knife better if it wasn't swinging freely the way I've carried one in the past ( my Spyderco Dodo as a Neck Knife).

My late best friend carried his STREETBEAT as an EDC by wearing an ankle sheath but he also had a Neck Knife sheath they he also bought from Mike Sastre ( River City Knives). Mike is also a member of this forum even though I haven't seen or him or heard of him in a while.

I wouldn't be uncomfortable wearing exclusively around my neck if there is a better way of keeping it from swinging freely. And do keep in mind that a really top notch, good quality sheath is extremely important with that type of carry.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MichaelScott wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:23 pm
If I were younger and backpacking again, I would have a Helle Algonquin around my neck when in camp for the night. Handy. Available even in the dark and with a handle big enough to handle any in-camp stuff.
That Helle is a Swedish made knife isn't it? And by the way how long of a blade did you have on that Helle model?
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I've used everything from a Vic Classic to the Bug for a neck knife. While I don't edc one, I like having one out in the woods, or on a run. The Bug is probably my favorite knife for this.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Absolutely!
A.S. wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:44 am
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

FUNNY KNIFE STORY:
I was on a whitewater rafting trip. One of our guides was a petite young lady... aww ****... she was short. She wore a knife inverted on the chest strap of her life vest. It was a sensible accessory to her ensemble, as playing on the river is serious business, and when you NEED a knife, you'd better HAVE a knife.

So we were taking out at the end of the day. The inflatable raft is big and heavy, hundreds of pounds. So you get half a few folks on each side, you grab the rope that encompasses the perimeter, and together you hoist the raft up to shoulder level. It's no big deal. But that day, our petite young lady was standing close to the raft, and when we hoisted it up, the rope caught under her knife sheath, and lifted her several feet off the ground. She was flailing and yelling to PUT THE RAFT DOWN!

The whole thing was hilarious and cute, but I'm sure she was a little embarrassed for a moment. But the take away from this story is that you'd better think long and hard about what you're wearing and how it might become a liability. Personally, I never wear ANYTHING around my neck. Even break-away lanyards are anathema to the way I roll.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

On a shoulder strap yes, around the neck no.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050