Ouch

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
PStone

Ouch

Post by PStone »

Dropped my knife tonight. Hap40 Endura. Foolishly was holding it open while tossing recyclables into the can. Caught my leg on the way down. Got me good. Should’ve just took the quarter second it would’ve taken to close it. Went just over a quarter inch deep, but left me a nice half inch hole in my jeans and leg. So I figured since it happened, I’d share a couple pics. Don’t click the spoilers if you get squeamish. They’re not bad, but figured I should give a warning anyways.

Freshly cleaned:
► Show Spoiler
Liquid Skin is amazing stuff:

End result. You can see how deep the Endura went at the tip. And there’s even a tiny little flock of denim stuck to the point.
► Show Spoiler
Knifes are pointy! Be safe! :spyder:
Naperville

Re: Ouch

Post by Naperville »

I think you need a few stitches. If you have the equipment, throw them in.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Ouch that looks painful!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

You'll be fine. Put some ichthammol and a band aid on it.
More importantly, will your wife be able to sew up the hole in your pants?
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

FYI, Nuskin is only suposed to be used on superficial cuts. That laceration needs butterfly strips at minimum and could definitly benefit from a couple/three sutures. Sorry you suffered the vorpal sharpness of your Spyderco :(
PStone

Post by PStone »

Thank you for the advice guys. Much appreciated. Wife said stitches too. Don’t have the stuff not skills to properly do it myself. So I’ll be headed to promptcare in the morning. Only real pain is my pride. Sucked to walk in and have to tell her what happened :o Which then made me think about of that movie “A Christmas Story” where little Ralphie “shot his eye out”, and had to explain the broken eyeglasses to Mom.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I'd say a stitch or two won't hurt McGrit. As it is it looks like it needs closing, plush a couple of stitches will hasten healing time and leave less of a scar. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
PStone

Post by PStone »

Cycletroll wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:19 pm
FYI, Nuskin is only suposed to be used on superficial cuts. That laceration needs butterfly strips at minimum and could definitly benefit from a couple/three sutures. Sorry you suffered the vorpal sharpness of your Spyderco :(
You’re absolutely right Cycletroll. The liquid skin is not adequate enough for this. Didn’t even make it two hours before bleeding again. It has been amazing on the numerous smaller “spyder-bites” I frequently get on my fingers though. So I’ve re-cleaned everything and have some butterfly strips on until i get to promptcare in the morning. Thank you all again. :spyder:
► Show Spoiler
PStone

Post by PStone »

Right on Bloke. Was typing when you posted. Naperville, Cycletroll, and you make enough votes, that I’d be a fool not to. Headed there when it opens.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Y'know... once the wound starts to heal up, it's too late for stitches. By tomorrow, they'll probably just clean it up, stick some tape on it, give you a shot, enough pills for a week, and send you on your way. Good luck!
PStone

Post by PStone »

Update:
Went to doc before work today, and she held off on the stitches. Basically what RustyIron said. Apparently I did a decent job with the butterfly strips and it already started to heal and stays closed now. Just a cleaning and some new steri-strips glued on. Should be good in 8 days when they fall off. Had a tetanus booster a few ago, so no shot. She also confirmed what Cycletroll said about the liquid skin. That stuff is basically for papercuts.
RustyIron wrote: Y'know... once the wound starts to heal up, it's too late for stitches. By tomorrow, they'll probably just clean it up, stick some tape on it, give you a shot, enough pills for a week, and send you on your way. Good luck!
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Glad to hear you're healing up!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Happy you went and rcvd a professional opinion. Heal up!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
PStone

Post by PStone »

Thank you all for the support. I will definitely be less careless moving forward. It only takes a quarter second to close a knife... :o
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Ouch. I dropped a big Bowie on my foot once. I am sure that if it hadn’t hit a bone it would have gone through. My foot was tender for months. Must have damaged the bone.

Glad you are healing up nicely. Stitches would have just made sure you had a smaller scar. As long as it doesn’t get infected you will heal up just fine. Thanks for sharing! :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?