Cutting boards

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Jazz

Re: Cutting boards

Post by Jazz »

I use nylon, and we use them in the restaurant, but now I hear we're consuming a lot of plastic. Just can't win. Just don't be an idiot and use glass or marble.
- best wishes, Jazz.
ShaneInDenver

Post by ShaneInDenver »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:45 pm
Epicurean boards are now the standard in our kitchen and camper van. Hygienic and don’t dull edges unduly.
This right here! The Epicurean boards are made of richlite, a paper-based fiber, which is the same material they use to make skateboard ramps. I find them to by very thin and durable, but they can always be sanded down if the gouges start to get too deep.

One thing about plastic cutting boards is you can actually take a planner to them to clean up the gouges. What happens is you get that groove in the plastic cutting board and then you get bacteria forming in that groove and with enough grooves the plastic can actually fold over itself and trap bacteria in the board.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:15 pm
Mine is plastic or nylon. It’s easy on knife edges, and easy to wash and dry.

Jim

Exactly, that's what I use also.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

The laminated bamboo Ikea chopping boards are good value I reckon. I just wash it with detergent, scrub with the scourer on the dish sponge, wipe down with paper towel and leave to dry by a window or something. :)

If the sun’s out like today just take it outside and leave in the sun for ten minutes.

Ten minutes since I used it. :cool: Vegetarian wife none the wiser. Ah, hahahah, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :D

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Go big or go home when it comes to cutting boards

Full size butchers block :D my pride and joy in the kitchen
E6CE16DE-5449-446A-BEE9-F6C5CDC12C99.jpeg
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:29 pm
The laminated bamboo Ikea chopping boards are good value I reckon. I just wash it with detergent, scrub with the scourer on the dish sponge, wipe down with paper towel and leave to dry by a window or something. :)

If the sun’s out like today just take it outside and leave in the sun for ten minutes.

Ten minutes since I used it. :cool: Vegetarian wife none the wiser. Ah, hahahah, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :D
Do you clean and sanitize bamboo as you would do with a conventional wooden cutting board or is there another way you do that?

Also are there any type of "oil" treatments you have to use to maintain bamboo similar that you would implement with a wooden cutting board.

Also does bamboo have distinct advantages over other wooden cutting boards. Forgive my ignorance but I've just never ever used a bamboo cutting board.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

A mixture of woods and nylon, but mainly the latter as they‘re reasonably dishwasher proof.

Our worst was a really tough laminate. My considerably better half was quite cross when she found it in the dustbin - “look at it, it’s barely scratched - there’s loads of wear left it!”

Quite.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:03 am
Do you clean and sanitize bamboo as you would do with a conventional wooden cutting board or is there another way you do that?

Also are there any type of "oil" treatments you have to use to maintain bamboo similar that you would implement with a wooden cutting board.

Also does bamboo have distinct advantages over other wooden cutting boards. Forgive my ignorance but I've just never ever used a bamboo cutting board.
Hey Joe, we don’t do anything fancy, just clean well with detergent, scrub well with the scourer on the the dish sponge, wipe down and dry in the sun if applicable or on a draughty window sill. The main advantage of bamboo is it seems a bit harder and closer grained compared to timber but I don’t rightly know.

On germs, beloved wife is a bit of a germaphobe and generally uses a granite chopping board :eek: but I couldn’t give a flying duck and have no problem with picking up food I drop on the floor or ground, dusting it off and eating it. I used to help a couple of mates shoe horses. I’d drop my rollie (hand rolled cigarette) on the deck, if a horse pooped while I was holding a hind foot I’d brush it aside with my hand cause that’s the easiest way, carry on doing what I did, wipe my hands on my jeans when done and pick up my rollie and re light it. I’ve never had a stomach bug to date and never been sick in my 58+ years on this earth.

We’re turning into a mob of wusses and causing all sorts of allergies etc. for our kids and grandkids with our unfounded fear of everyday germs. You have to wonder how our predecessors got by without hand sanitisers in their pockets. :confused:

End of rant! :D
Last edited by Bloke on Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

standy99 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:34 am

Andy, that’s one Mother Goose of a chopping block! :cool:
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:30 pm
standy99 wrote:

Andy, that’s one Mother Goose of a chopping block! :cool:
Nice slab of Tasmanian hard wood

Made by “Ian Royce blocks” in Geelong

https://www.butchersblocks.com.au/
0F116EE1-AE93-488E-8280-3D35860684E8.jpeg
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Curly Maple for me.
As far as bacteria, a little bleach and Dawn detergent and scrub real good.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

standy99 wrote:

That's awesome!!
standy99

Post by standy99 »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:42 am
standy99 wrote:

That's awesome!!
The pic was taken a few years ago. The cutting side is a lot more worn out nowadays.

Great for rolling out pizza dough. Prep a whole meal and just move along after each food bit prepped , no need to wash the chopping board In between.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

This is what I am currently using here.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/product ... x=0.0.3223

After being in the food industry for most of my life I prefer to use commercial grade cutting boards.

They are NSF-Certified.

http://www.nsf.org/consumer-resources/w ... ification/

I take food safety seriously as I know what can happen when things go wrong.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I think for the last 20 years or so, we've used cheap bamboo. Never any hygiene issue I'm aware of. We replace them every 5 years or so.

Before that we had a couple fancy wood boards.
Briefly tried the plastic ones somewhere along the line. Wife and I both hated them.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

For all you wood board afficionados:
After years of use, wood acquires a dish. A small board can be run through a planer. A bigger cutting surface might need something more aggressive, like a belt sander. Cutting on a concave surface blows. Cutting on a flat surface is glorious.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:29 pm

That's some really good looking Kangaroo meat you cut up for us Brother :D So Mrs. Bloke is a Vegan :eek: Now that's a surprise.

But what I want to chow down on if I ever make it down there would be some of that really tender EMU meat :cool: I bet that would make for one big drumstick for sure :D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

RustyIron wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:34 pm
After years of use, wood acquires a dish. A small board can be run through a planer. A bigger cutting surface might need something more aggressive, like a belt sander. Cutting on a concave surface blows. Cutting on a flat surface is glorious.
After all that hassle wouldn't it just be time to get a new wood board? Now like I said I myself prefer one of the newer nylon or polymer type boards. I find them much easier to sanitize and they seem to clean up easier too.

However I've often wondered which type of wood makes a better cutting board if you desire to use a wooden board? I've also wondered if "linseed" oil or some other type of oil would not only preserve the wood but would also make it easier to keep clean and sanitary?
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:14 am
I've also wondered if "linseed" oil or some other type of oil would not only preserve the wood but would also make it easier to keep clean and sanitary?
Definitely do NOT use linseed oil on a cutting board. It has a very distinctive smell that would be imparted to your kitchen, your house, and more importantly, your food. You won't like it, guaranteed. On my wooden cutting boards, I've never found a need to clean them beyond regular soap, running water, and allowing them to dry.

And no, it's not a hassle to refurbish nice things. Some nice things can last a lifetime: Our cutting boards are well over thirty years old. Our kitchen knives are also from the same time period. Waffle iron and juicer? From the 1960's, and far nicer than the Chinese junk that can be found at Bed, Bath, and Beyond today. Our Gaffers & Sattler stove is 64 years old. In our kitchen you'll also see a 150 year old L.S. Starrett food chopper and a 100 year old Goodell apple peeler. I don't or a minute buy into the notion that it's "easier" to discard a beautiful cutting board just so I can go out and replace it with a piece of plastic.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:14 am
RustyIron wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:34 pm
Now like I said I myself prefer one of the newer nylon or polymer type boards. I find them much easier to sanitize and they seem to clean up easier too.

Yup, very easy to clean and sanitize.

I just wash mine down with DAWN or if I am cutting meat, especially chicken or pork I wash it down with bleach... And let it sit with bleach on it for 10 mins...

Just can't be too safe these days with all of the issues with meat in general. And yes it is getting worse....

The risk of cross contamination is just too high.

ECOLI is no joke and the issues are getting worse as time goes on. Food poisoning is like getting the sniffles in comparison.. It's extremely serious.