Old Forum Members: Where Are They These Days?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Old Forum Members: Where Are They These Days?

Post by JD Spydo »

As many of you can see on my profile I've been here since Sept, 2004. But I'm not the only one who has been here for a while. The Deacon and a couple of others have been here longer than myself. I joined back in the days when this forum had a most unique comradery among us. Now fellow member Archimedes was here then under another name ( Worker #9) and one of the first friends I ever made on the forum the honorable Dr. Hannibal Lecter M.D. chimes in from time to time>> as well as our old pal Yablanowitz. But overall many of the original members unfortunately moved on for whatever reason.

Lady Simona ( The Gunting Girl) always had some of the greatest pics of Spyderco classics I ever remember. Old members like VampyreWolf, Daywalker ( Chad), Jimmy Dean, David Lowry, Ghostrider, Irish Lager, and Zeus just to name a few have faded away for whatever reason. Yeah I know that times and life situations change but it would still be nice for some of the older members to check back in occasionally>> and to know what they are doing now-a-days.

So which of the old Senior members do you wish would return out of the 2000-2008 era? Also if any of you know where many of the older members went would be quite interesting as well. And if you're an old member that still lurks occasionally then please check in and tell what you all are up to these days. I really miss the 2004 to 2008 era a lot and would love to see many older members return.
Blueboost

Re: Old Forum Members: Where Are They These Days?

Post by Blueboost »

2006 checking in. Been EDC'ing one spyderco or another for the past 30 years.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Been here since 2006 actually but due to a long hospital stay, a dead computer and life in general my current join date is 2011.

I speak with Dr. Lecter at least once a week and through him I have checked on Dr. Snubnose, Chad Los Banos and a few other folks. It is sad that folks who we form friendships with move on but such is the way of life.

OldHoosier62
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

People grow out of hobbies. I was on two other car related forums for 15 years and just grew away from it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Blame my absence on Microsoft. Windows 8.1 and then 10 destroyed my enjoyment of computers to the point that I no longer have internet at home. When I do post here, I'm using my phone. It's a pain in the butt to do. It doesn't help matters that Spyderco is following their market in a direction I don't care to go, either.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:51 am
People grow out of hobbies. I was on two other car related forums for 15 years and just grew away from it.
Hobby????!!! Did you say "Hobby"??!! Being obsessed with Spyderco's great line up of Hardware is not a hobby Sir!!!! It's a WAY OF LIFE!!! :D :cool:
James Y

Post by James Y »

People come and go in life. IMO, that is one of life’s constants. That includes face to face life. When I lived in Taiwan, I was part of a large, close-knit group of friends, composed of both Taiwan Chinese and various foreigners. I’d had other friends before I went there and after I returned, but I was never a part of that large and close-knit a group growing up here, or after I returned. Some still remained in contact for a decade or so after I returned Stateside, with several even coming to visit me. But time, distance and life changes us and moves us in different directions, And I’m OK with that. Because people grow and change, and those changes often mean the directions of our lives are no longer compatible. When I or others move on and away in life, I’m thankful we had the time that we did share together.

I joined this forum back in 2004, but barely visited, much less participated, until sometime last year or earlier this year (I forget which). TBH, I’m surprised my account has remained intact after all that time.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Yeah Jim I noticed that you joined way before I did. But I was sort of perplexed at your relatively low number of posts for being here that long :confused: ... But hey it's all good and I too am thankful for the friends and acquaintances I've made here.

Yeah people's lives and occupations and relationships change over the years. I guess I should be thankful I've had as many things go my way to where I can do what all I want to do.

I've taken chunks of time off from the forum over the years>> and on at least 4 occasions too. Otherwise I would be right up there with Evil D and The Deacon with total posts :D But I bet they are still looking in their rear view mirrors :rolleyes: :D

We most definitely use to laugh at lot more than we do now a days. But it's still the best knife forum out there IMO.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Been here a bit, just don't post as often as some.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I still see David Lowry over on Bladeforums from time to time.

I’m a newbie myself, but I’m familiar with some of those forum vets from researching different subjects over the years, mostly old threads on different steel types.

I miss Cliff Stamp’s participation, myself. I learned a lot from his posts.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

I've been here since the very earliest days (July 2000). There were a number of years when I was mostly buying custom knives and didn't visit much, but I've been back for a while now. Still don't post much.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

dsvirsky wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:49 am
I've been here since the very earliest days (July 2000). There were a number of years when I was mostly buying custom knives and didn't visit much, but I've been back for a while now. Still don't post much.
This is a most interesting anomaly :) Brother I'm finding that there are a lot of old School Spyderheads here on the Forum like yourself who have not only been here for many years but due to not posting much you kind of forget they are there. But I'm finding that there are a lot more members than I originally thought that have seniority over me. If I remember right I believe my old pal "Vampyrewolf" has even been here since the inception of the Forum ( whenever that was :confused: ) and I believe I heard that it started some time in the late 90s.

And in the past year or so I'm seeing more and more of you guys who have been here a long time with relatively few posts.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:18 am

. . . I believe I heard that it started some time in the late 90s.
The Spyderco forum went "live" on July 19, 2000.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

dsvirsky wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:56 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:18 am

. . . I believe I heard that it started some time in the late 90s.
The Spyderco forum went "live" on July 19, 2000.
Well thanks for the info Brother because I thought Spyderville was older than that. I do know that Bladeforums has been around since about 1998 I was told and I'm kind of surprised that Spyderco.com isn't as old as they are.

It's still amazing how much the landscape has changed over these years since I first joined in 04. So much more change can transpire in a short time than I ever imagined. But it's all good and this is still the best forum group I belong to>> with Bladeforums running second.

I still wish Lady Simona, Daywalker and some more of the old gang would return at some point. It's also been amazing to see how Spyderco has evolved as a specialty knife company over the years as well.