New 30-30 in the house!! ;)

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: New 30-30 in the house!! ;)

Post by Doc Dan »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:13 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:42 pm
will handle much more powerful ammunition.
Haha! There’s no cure for that mentality!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:13 pm
Hey Doc, I’ve hand loaded since my early twenties. When I first got my ‘94 I loaded up some 175gr projectiles (I think?) with different power weights and went to the range. I started with the lowest charge of coarse and worked through. All was going well enough I s’pose.but nothing was grouping too well from memory. When I fired the first round of what was my highest charge I thought that didn’t feel right. Muzzle blast seem loader and the thing seemed to kick a bit harder.

Anyhow, I won’t bore you with details but it took a cleaning rod used like a drop hammer and a mate’s help to work the action in order to extract the case. Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:24 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:13 pm
Hey Doc, I’ve hand loaded since my early twenties. When I first got my ‘94 I loaded up some 175gr projectiles (I think?) with different power weights and went to the range. I started with the lowest charge of coarse and worked through. All was going well enough I s’pose.but nothing was grouping too well from memory. When I fired the first round of what was my highest charge I thought that didn’t feel right. Muzzle blast seem loader and the thing seemed to kick a bit harder.

Anyhow, I won’t bore you with details but it took a cleaning rod used like a drop hammer and a mate’s help to work the action in order to extract the case. Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :rolleyes:
Hahaha! Marlins are much stronger. Good thing you weren’t hurt.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

murphjd25 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:56 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:02 pm
Thanx Josh!
For anyone wandering were I got this C model, I got it thru the sportsmansguide
I took it on the 4 pay plan.
I paid $142 and they sent me the gun. Then > make 3 more monthly payments interest free
The 4 pay plan the Guide has is a life saver imo
Wow! I have never heard of this! I am going to look into this. Thanks for mentioning this!
Go for it Josh!!
You got nothin to loose my friend!
It's all interest free too :D
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:06 pm
Nice. I love lever guns. I would love to get a .45-70 Marlin someday.
Go for it David. Nothin like a good lever rifle!
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Me too! It's funny, because I've been seriously thinking about getting another one to replace the one I sold some years back.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

bearrowland wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:16 pm
Me too! It's funny, because I've been seriously thinking about getting another one to replace the one I sold some years back.
Seriously, go for it!
They are just so very neat :D
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The Browning BLR and the Henry knock off are two really good and strong rifles.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

In my experience....

Marlin- (especially the pre-Remington, JM Marlin models) the gold standard of lever actions. Rugged, aesthetically pleasing, accurate, good variety of calibers and configurations for your hunting needs.

Savage- often overlooked but is honestly the pinnacle of lever action development. Modern calibers, beautiful lines, very accurate, cartridge counters in many calibers....sadly no longer produced but still widely available.

Winchester- The cowboys favorite. Good solid choice with factory ammo but finicky and subject to bolt setback if you hotrod the 30-30 cartridge which can create headspace issues making them unsafe. Classic lines, limited calibers.

Browning BLR- Beautiful rifle in modern calibers but plagued with accuracy issues since it was developed, ammo finicky, modern rotating bolt lockup is solid and safe. Easy to mount almost any optic to.

Henry- relative newcomer to the scene. Modern materials but not innovative in design. Also subject to bolt setback in all calibers with any high performance ammo. Known to have issues "shooting loose" ie., the lever droops away from the reciever after a few hundred rounds due to wear in the mechanism.

There is a VERY GOOD reason why high performance ammunition manufacturers add the warning "For use in Marlin Rifles only" to their ammo boxes...they can handle it.

I have owned a few of everything listed above....I still own Marlins and Savages. They are the best of the bunch.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

OldHoosier62 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:09 pm
In my experience....

Marlin- (especially the pre-Remington, JM Marlin models) the gold standard of lever actions. Rugged, aesthetically pleasing, accurate, good variety of calibers and configurations for your hunting needs.

Savage- often overlooked but is honestly the pinnacle of lever action development. Modern calibers, beautiful lines, very accurate, cartridge counters in many calibers....sadly no longer produced but still widely available.

Winchester- The cowboys favorite. Good solid choice with factory ammo but finicky and subject to bolt setback if you hotrod the 30-30 cartridge which can create headspace issues making them unsafe. Classic lines, limited calibers.

Browning BLR- Beautiful rifle in modern calibers but plagued with accuracy issues since it was developed, ammo finicky, modern rotating bolt lockup is solid and safe. Easy to mount almost any optic to.

Henry- relative newcomer to the scene. Modern materials but not innovative in design. Also subject to bolt setback in all calibers with any high performance ammo. Known to have issues "shooting loose" ie., the lever droops away from the reciever after a few hundred rounds due to wear in the mechanism.

There is a VERY GOOD reason why high performance ammunition manufacturers add the warning "For use in Marlin Rifles only" to their ammo boxes...they can handle it.

I have owned a few of everything listed above....I still own Marlins and Savages. They are the best of the bunch.
Goo assessment. The barrel band Browning’s with the straight stock you are correct about, but the other model without the band and with the pistol grip seems to be plenty accurate.

The Henry I was speaking of is the new Long Ranger, similar to the Browning. It fires 308 and etc.

The Savage needs to be reintroduced. It was a fine rifle.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

The Rover has a great lever action scene; distopian Australian film. Guy Pearce behind the stock.
Blueboost

Post by Blueboost »

Sportsman's guide! Holy moly that's a blast from the past. Wasnt Spyderco products being sold via those magazines 25+ years ago?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Like I mentioned in my earlier post Marlin also makes a monster lever action in .444 cal. That bad boy can blow walls down with little effort. And like Old Hoosier said they are the "gold standard" for lever action guns with the possible exception of Browning depending on which caliber.

Winchester's top ejection 30-30 always annoyed me something terrible :mad: . And I always found the Marlin to be more accurate too.

But Brother when you get bored with the 30-30 step up to their .444 cal. >> You'll love it immensely :cool:
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I kinda like small caliber lever actions. My dad has a brass Henry in .357 mag. So fun to shoot.

I'm a big Marlin fan though. Would love to get a collection going.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!