Collectibles

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
benben

Re: Collectibles

Post by benben »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:57 pm
I collect big things. If it weighs less than a 3000 pounds, I'm not interested.
PICT0041.jpeg

Here's a video clip of one of my engines running:

http://youtu.be/eKFVWG7xti8

That's awesome! I know that would have brought a big grin to my dad's face!
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Surfboards, but its not uncommon for many surfers to have a large quiver. You gotta have the right board for the right waves for the right spot, etc.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

A very good friend of mine who has been an avid comic book collector ever since I've known him. He just told me that there are a lot of older comics that have gotten hot lately. Some of the older Mr. Natural, Furry Freak Brothers and Fritz The Cat and several other underground comics from the 70s and 80s have really caught fire.

Well I should say they did before this national emergency set it :( But I guess this national emergency has probably abolished interest in collectibles of all types. It would be interesting to know which sectors of collectibles are weathering the storm so to speak???
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:00 am
A very good friend of mine who has been an avid comic book collector ever since I've known him. He just told me that there are a lot of older comics that have gotten hot lately. Some of the older Mr. Natural, Furry Freak Brothers and Fritz The Cat and several other underground comics from the 70s and 80s have really caught fire.

Well I should say they did before this national emergency set it :( But I guess this national emergency has probably abolished interest in collectibles of all types. It would be interesting to know which sectors of collectibles are weathering the storm so to speak???
Joe,
I have several of those adult “underground comix” from the late ‘60s through the early-to-mid- ‘70s. The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers, Mr. Natural, Zap Comix, and some others. No, they weren’t politically correct; some were even gross or offensive by today’s standards, but some of them were pretty funny.

Jim
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Some of the older Mr. Natural, Furry Freak Brothers and Fritz The Cat and several other underground comics
I'd bet it is very hard finding those in mint condition. In my area they were passed around and read and reread until someone finally threw them away after a year or so.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:29 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:00 am

Joe,
I have several of those adult “underground comix” from the late ‘60s through the early-to-mid- ‘70s. The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers, Mr. Natural, Zap Comix, and some others. No, they weren’t politically correct; some were even gross or offensive by today’s standards, but some of them were pretty funny.

Jim
Yeah I kind of grew up on those underground comics myself. When I was in high school ( back in the jurassic period :rolleyes: ) we had those ZAP, Mr. Natural, Checkered Demon, Fritz The Cat, and all the ones did by Robert Crumb and S. Clay Wilson. If we got caught having one of those at school it was an automatic 3 to 5 day suspension from school :eek: >> yeah there was some really raunchy stuff in those older 70s era underground comics.

I remember my late mother finding a couple of the ZAP comics hidden among my record albums and boy did she blow a fuse :D Thank GOD she never listened to any of my Cheech & Chong albums :rolleyes: or Frank Zappa either for that matter. Actually some of those pale by comparison to some of the newer gangster rap or hip hop stuff they have out now. But those comics were huge back in the day (70s) and if you didn't get to the store when they first came out they sold out super quickly. If they ever did come up with time travel I would love to go back to the 70s. There has never been a time like it.

I bet collecting 70s memorabilia would be profitable if you got the right stuff.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

In the 1950s, my local drug store would tear half the cover off the comics and sell them for a reduced. The distributor must have been reimbursing him for the "unsold" comics evidenced by the half covers returned. Wonder how many of those would have been valuable collector items today.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mad Mac wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:58 pm
In the 1950s, my local drug store would tear half the cover off the comics and sell them for a reduced. The distributor must have been reimbursing him for the "unsold" comics evidenced by the half covers returned. Wonder how many of those would have been valuable collector items today.
Oh any of those 1950s Superman, Batman or any of the other really popular comics of that time would fetch a pretty nickel depending on condition and which superhero. Even Bugs Bunny and Felix the Cat from the 1950s would have brought some nice prices at an auction I'm sure. That friend of mine I mentioned in the other post sold one of his 1958 Superman comic books just recently for just a little over $400>> and it wasn't in that great of condition either. He has gotten some nice prices for those underground comics as well as many of the new and contemporary comics he's collected.

Who would have ever thought that the comic books and baseball cards that our parents threw in the trash most of the time when we moved out of the house would have become a pricey collector's piece. I had a baseball card collection that spanned 12 years of collecting and my folks took them to the dump just about the time the cards started fetching big money ( early 90s). One Roger Maris card they threw out is now getting close to $750>> but I guess that's why they are so valuable because 95% of all parents did the same thing my folks did :o
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Baseball cards in the 1950s were wrapped with chewing gum to sell the gum.
Then we would pitch the baseball cards from behind a line.
Closest to the wall won the cards thrown. It was rough on the cards.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:53 pm
I remember my late mother finding a couple of the ZAP comics hidden among my record albums and boy did she blow a fuse :D Thank GOD she never listened to any of my Cheech & Chong albums :rolleyes: or Frank Zappa either for that matter. Actually some of those pale by comparison to some of the newer gangster rap or hip hop stuff they have out now. But those comics were huge back in the day (70s) and if you didn't get to the store when they first came out they sold out super quickly. If they ever did come up with time travel I would love to go back to the 70s. There has never been a time like it.

I bet collecting 70s memorabilia would be profitable if you got the right stuff.
The first time I ever heard of Cheech & Chong was back in 5th grade (1973-74 school year). A classmate/friend of mine actually brought a Cheech & Chong album to school for the teacher to play for the class(!). LOL! I vividly remember him showing her the album, and the teacher, who was 30-something, gave him a stern look and said, “Eric, a Cheech & Chong record is NOT appropriate material for the classroom.” All the while, Eric had a big, toothy grin on his face. After school, he invited me and another friend back to his house, and we listened to it and laughed uproariously.

I ended up with some Cheech & Chong records of my own a couple years later, when someone gave us a big, beautiful record player/radio with a huge, ornate wooden frame; there were a couple records the owner had forgotten about inside the stereo in the album holder, and there were some Cheech & Chong albums, which became mine. :). After a while, I knew the dialogue word-for-word. By that time, I had a better understanding of more of the humor.

Jim
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

kiwisailor wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:45 am
Mad Mac wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:38 pm

When we sold the house we talked to an old estate sale auctioneer. We didn't have enough stuff for him to bother with but he told me that the collectibles market peaked in the 1980s and it would never come back. In his opinion, the collectors were dying out and young people had no interest in collectibles. Later, I saw him on American Pickers. He never said a word about doing estate sales and auctions.
Interesting comment.
Here in New Zealand, People still collect stuff.
Maybe the Market that the Dealer identified with, was his perception, not the "modern reality" i.e. Flea bay etc.
These "Digital Auction Houses" seem to be doing a roaring trade..

I picked up a African Assegai at a bricks and mortar Auction House here recently by chance.
Had never seen one before," in the flesh" so to speak.
Very well made and a real Work of Art, with very fine copper wire weaving, binding the head to shaft which in turn is exquisitely even in its' shaping.
You would swear it was done on a lathe.
Suspect it is circa late 1800's or earlier as the Purveyor was known to travel there early 1900's.
KS
Nice find...

If have the time, please could you able to send me a pic or two, via PM?
I have 5, but all still in RSA...
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Hi Stuart, have only just seen this.
Will do so as soon as practical.
Cheers, Wayne
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Seriously though when you think about it who would have ever predicted that Baseball Card craze of the 1990s to explode like it did?

And who ever thought that Barbie Dolls from the late 50s to the early 60s would fetch the prices that some of them have gotten?

A really old lady I recently worked for has one of the most unbelievable salt & pepper shaker collections I've ever seen. At some point I would think that those would gain some value?
PoisonedPizza

Post by PoisonedPizza »

Funko Pops...
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but the knife is cooler than the pen.