NFL Season: 2019-2020

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Re: NFL Season: 2019-2020

Post by MacLaren »

Man, those early to mid 90's Cowboys were the best I've ever seen talent wise. Both sides of ball, they were freakin stacked!!
Like I said before, its untelling how many Super Bowls Jerry has left on the table so to speak....
This coming from a Steelers fan, no less.. :(
SG89

Post by SG89 »

MacLaren wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:45 pm
Man, those early to mid 90's Cowboys were the best I've ever seen talent wise. Both sides of ball, they were freakin stacked!!
Like I said before, its untelling how many Super Bowls Jerry has left on the table so to speak....
Landry should have won more Superbowls than he did considering how long he coached, all the talented teams he had and lack of salary cap... Truly amazing they didn't win more. Lots of unlucky plays that cost them in the playoffs!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:30 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Landry should have won more Superbowls than he did considering how long he coached, all the talented teams he had and lack of salary cap... Truly amazing they didn't win more. Lots of unlucky plays that cost them in the playoffs!
True.
Hearing Tom Landry makes me think of watching Tony Dorsett in the early '80s. I loved watching him run the ball, even if was the Cowboys.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

One thing is for absolute sure though imo.
Super Bowls are just extremely hard to win.
You have to have the talent, that goes without saying.
But, you also HAVE to have a little LUCK sometimes.
Gosh, those Buffalo Teams of the '90s with Jim Kelley, were phenomenal. One would think they should have won at least one Lombardi Trophy.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:30 pm
MacLaren wrote:
I know everyone here thinks I hate the Patriots. No I don't hate them but I do strongly dislike the entire organization. Not only for the cheating allegations but that entire organization does not pass the smell test IMO. Do I think Bill Bellichick is the greatest coach of all time? No I don't. Personally I think his mentor Bill Parcells is even better than him.
I think that distinction of the greatest coach ever goes to two coaches>> and those two would be Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry. It was a lot harder being an NFL coach back in those days and the entire landscape was completely different than it is now. And as far as any coach I really respect>> there are two I can name Tom Landry and Mike Ditka. And I'll leave it at that.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Just off the top of my head, and imo only, the top 5 coaches would be
Bill Belichick, Vince Lombardi, Chuck Knoll, Bill Walsh and Don Shula.
In no particular order either.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well my good buddy MAC has been extremely kind to me lately. Even though my prediction of Mike McCarthy becoming the Cowboy's head coach did indeed come true>> well one could argue that I just got lucky. Maybe so. But I just knew that Jerry Jones wanted a coach with a lot of NFL experience. But here are my predictions for the playoff schedule for this upcoming weekend.
The Vikings over the 49ers
The Packers over the Seahawks
The Chiefs over the Texans
The Titans over the Ravens
Some might say that these are wild predictions but I have solid reasons for all these picks. For instance I believe that the Titans running game with Derrick Henry would be too much for the Ravens.

I'm either going to be getting more "High Fives" or I'm going to be eating a lot of "CROW" and suffer a lot of humiliation :o . But I've got good feelings about all of these picks. This has been a most unusual year from several different standpoints. I don't think these playoffs are going to be any different either.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JD, those are some real picks my friend.
Let's see......here's my picks.
49'ers over the Vikings.
Seahawks over the Packers. ( In a thriller! )
Chiefs over the Texans. ( In a route, no less )
Ravens over the Titans. ( Another route )

This will set up an NFC West Title Game
And, The Chiefs vs Ravens in Baltimore for the AFC Crown
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:07 pm
49'ers over the Vikings.

I"m not the only one picking the Vikings to beat the 49ers. There are two talking heads on NFL Network and one of the guys on Stephen A. Smith's show. And that ain't all. For whatever reason I'm not alone on that pick>> and no one even gave the Vikes even a prayer against the Saints either. Realistically the Ravens have the better team by a wide margin on paper but if the Titans were to pull off an upset ( and considering the Chiefs also win) given that scenario we would play the winner of that game at Arrowhead. No opposing team likes to play at ARROWHEAD :D

I actually fear the Packers more than any of the final teams. They have a lot going for them against the Seahawks. The Packers defense is looking better every game this year. Not to mention they did beat the Chiefs in the regular season But we'll know all the results come Sunday Night :) it's going to be extremely interesting regardless of who wins.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:14 pm
MacLaren wrote:
49'ers over the Vikings.

I"m not the only one picking the Vikings to beat the 49ers. There are two talking heads on NFL Network and one of the guys on Stephen A. Smith's show. And that ain't all. For whatever reason I'm not alone on that pick>> and no one even gave the Vikes even a prayer against the Saints either. Realistically the Ravens have the better team by a wide margin on paper but if the Titans were to pull off an upset ( and considering the Chiefs also win) given that scenario we would play the winner of that game at Arrowhead. No opposing team likes to play at ARROWHEAD :D

I actually fear the Packers more than any of the final teams. They have a lot going for them against the Seahawks. The Packers defense is looking better every game this year. Not to mention they did beat the Chiefs in the regular season But we'll know all the results come Sunday Night :) it's going to be extremely interesting regardless of who wins.
Oh, I hear ya. Terrell Davis, picked the Vikings to win it ALL.
I just think the 49'ers are better.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:32 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:14 pm
MacLaren wrote:
49'ers over the Vikings.

Oh, I hear ya. Terrell Davis, picked the Vikings to win it ALL.
I just think the 49'ers are better.
Each conference both have their own "Dangerous Team" capable of upsets. The NFC has the Vikings as an upset team>> the AFC has the Titans. Both teams hold the potential of really upsetting all the experts.

As for the Chiefs I really fear playing the Titans more than I do them playing the Ravens. Because with that Derrick Henry they could conceivably ruin anyone's day.

The VIKINGS have just really been a surprise this year. They really don't look at that good on paper but throughout the season they have pulled off some serious upsets>> with the SAINTs being the really big one last weekend. Even if the 49ers beat the Vikings it's not going to be an easy game for them.

Same goes for the Titans playing the Ravens. It's just like Yogi Berra used to say "It Ain't Over Till It's Over". But I do really believe we are in for one big surprise this weekend.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

This is the year of the amazing upsets... I'm calling the Vikings by a field goal!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

As for the Vikings- I really feel their win, was more of a Saints failure to capitalize last week.
I really feel the 49'ers are the better team, with the better QB and will win today. I'll even go so far as saying it could be a blow out loss for the Vikings.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:53 pm
As for the Vikings- I really feel their win, was more of a Saints failure to capitalize last week.
I really feel the 49'ers are the better team, with the better QB and will win today. I'll even go so far as saying it could be a blow out loss for the Vikings.
Oh there's no argument that when you look at statistics the 49ers are a much better team on paper. But let's go back to the 2000-2001 season when the Ravens won their first Superbowl. In the AFC that year the Oakland Raiders were really picked. In the NFC the NY Giants ( the NFC SB opponent) were not at all picked for the Superbowl that year.

In the NFL you have two seasons. You have the regular season>> then you have the playoffs which are at totally separate season all together. The two teams that play in the Superbowl are the two teams that won the Playoff season. I can't tell you how many times the team with the most wins and best overall record did not win the Superbowl.

I just boils down who wins the Playoff Season. No big numbers or good statistics matter at all now.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearrowland wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:13 pm
This is the year of the amazing upsets... I'm calling the Vikings by a field goal!
Oh I think the Vikes are even going to win better than that. But we'll know in a few hours who is right.

But the 49ers and Ravens both are picked by the so-called experts. And they both could be upset by the end of the day. Again it's a completely separate season from the regular season. It's only the Playoff season that counts.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I must be behind the times, just found out that Lamar Jackson runs a 4.34 40. That's pretty much world class speed. ( in the 40 anyway- although he still isn't in the top 11 40 yard runners in the NFL, that's incredibly fast for a QB )
That being said, I can see why teams have such hard time stopping the Raven offense.
I fully expect the AFC Championship to be between the Cheifs and Ravens. And what a dandy it should be!!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:31 pm
I must be behind the times, just found out that Lamar Jackson runs a 4.34 40. That's pretty much world class speed. ( in the 40 anyway- although he still isn't in the top 11 40 yard runners in the NFL, that's incredibly fast for a QB )
That being said, I can see why teams have such hard time stopping the Raven offense.
I fully expect the AFC Championship to be between the Cheifs and Ravens. And what a dandy it should be!!
But MAC believe it or not Tyreek Hill and Mecole Hardman both wide receivers of the Chiefs run even faster than that :eek: OH I was well aware that Jackson also had some speed but Hill and Hardman both have him beat. But Jackson doesn't need to run as fast as those guys need to ;)

Well get the oven turned on because it looks like I'm eating crow again tonight :rolleyes: I'm really surprised in a way too because I thought for certain that the Viking's defense would do better than they did. Just goes to show us all just how hard these things are to predict.

I'm going out on another limb however. I'm still predicting Green Bay to win the NFC in spite of it all. Well it was fun while it lasted :D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This Ravens/Titans game I got a feeling is going to be a real barn burner. Truthfully I would hate the bet any money on this game. But do mark my words>> I do believe that Mike Vrabel is going to be a premier head coach in the NFL in very short order. If he doesn't win it all this year it won't be too long for him I've got a feeling.

I have one problem with Lamar Jackson in this game. This guy just seems to be way too over-confident IMO. Well let the best team win!!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Lookin like a real shocker up in Baltimore!!
I would LOVE to see Tennessee win, even though I predicted the Ravens to blow them out.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Titans are cookin'!!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb