NFL Season: 2019-2020

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SG89

Re: NFL Season: 2019-2020

Post by SG89 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:22 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:02 am
Tanking is pointless if your front office sucks at evaluating draft picks
Well it did work for the Colts back when they had Andrew Luck in their radar. There were even T-Shirts that said "Suck For Luck".

As bad as a few of the NFL teams are at this point I don't think there are more than 2 that a strategy like that would even help much IMO. With the exception of Quarterbacks there really aren't many single players out there that would make a huge difference anyway. I do remember when the Buffalo Bills got Jim Kelly ( Yeah I'm that old :o ) along with coach Marv Levy it did seem to make an almost overnight difference with that team at that time. But those are rare exceptions and very, very few that come to my memory.
Luck retired this year and Manning got another Superbowl with a different team. Hindsight is 20/20 but the Colts are still feeling the effects of what Grigson did to their team.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:31 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:22 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:02 am
Tanking is pointless if your front office sucks at evaluating draft picks
Well it did work for the Colts back when they had Andrew Luck in their radar. There were even T-Shirts that said "Suck For Luck".

As bad as a few of the NFL teams are at this point I don't think there are more than 2 that a strategy like that would even help much IMO. With the exception of Quarterbacks there really aren't many single players out there that would make a huge difference anyway. I do remember when the Buffalo Bills got Jim Kelly ( Yeah I'm that old :o ) along with coach Marv Levy it did seem to make an almost overnight difference with that team at that time. But those are rare exceptions and very, very few that come to my memory.
Luck retired this year and Manning got another Superbowl with a different team. Hindsight is 20/20 but the Colts are still feeling the effects of what Grigson did to their team.
Yeah I'm well aware of Luck's retirement from the game but he did put in a few seasons with them. Although looking back I'm now wondering if they had been better off just keeping Peyton Manning. But those are very hard decisions for owners to make based on what they knew at the time. Also I'm a bit suspicious of Andrew Luck's NFL retirement in some respects especially with his dad being the commissioner of the newly revamped XFL league. But overall I think the Colt's pretty much for the most part got their money's worth with Andrew Luck.

It does seem that in this particular era of the NFL there are more trade busts and draft busts than there are Cinderella success stories like the Kurt Warner surprise of the 1999-2000 season. I don't know of anyone who even gave that a long shot.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Well, looks like the Patriots have released Antonio Brown! Was a weird but exciting ride while it lasted, to say the least!

Back to business as usual. On to the Jets! :D
-Nick :bug-red
SG89

Post by SG89 »

What a waste of talent
Spydergirl88
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Not claiming to be a prophet or a forecaster of the future but that was an easy one concerning Antonio Brown. I think I said earlier that he wouldn't last more than 2 to 3 weeks with the Patriots and turned out to be measured in hours rather than days or months. I just knew in my gut as regimented and strict as New England's system is they just flat won't put up with media trash of that nature.

I think his best bet is to either join up with his old team mate Le'veon Bell ( both malcontents and cry babies :rolleyes: ) and the NY Jets or to go with the Washington Redskins because they are desperate at this point. I doubt if many other teams would even consider him anymore with all the drama and bad blood he has created for himself.

I personally don't like the guy but at the same time I hate to see anyone's life destroyed either. But I can assure all of you that the Antonio Brown "soap opera" is far from over :(
Last edited by JD Spydo on Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:32 am
I predict within 2 to 3 weeks we'll be tuned into the next episode of the AB soap opera. On everyone's favorite soap opera "As The Stomach Churns" :eek: . This ain't going away anytime soon. If master belly-ache or marcia brady think they are exempt then I've got some really bad news for them :rolleyes: . There is a serious short circuit in this guy's brain and the symptoms have just begun. Actually it kind of reminds me of literally running home from school every day to see the next episode of "Dark Shadows" :D And yes AB is a vampire of sorts>> instead of sucking blood he is literally sucking the peace and harmony out of everyone's life around him :rolleyes: and it's not going to stop anytime soon either. You can put that in the next issue of TV Guide :rolleyes:
I was pretty sure that is what I went on record saying that it would last 2 or maybe 3 weeks at the most ;) But I will admit that I didn't think The Antonio Brown saga would blow up this soon. This newly born "soap opera" star Antonio Brown will be lucky at this point if the New York Jets would let him join up with his old team-mate Le'Veon Bell. Or the Washington Redskins team as desperate as they are might roll the dice>> but even if they did I wouldn't advise them to do more than a 1 year contract under these hideous circumstances.

As crazy as this daytime drama is getting to be with his majesty "Antonio Brown" :rolleyes: I'm even scared to even try to predict or speculate the next news item to come from Mr Brown or his Twitter account. I think they should call this one "As The Mind Burns" on all your local TV Networks :rolleyes: This is about as bad as winning the lottery and losing it all on a "one roll" bet :eek:

Yeah "Soap Opera Digest" will be chewing on this one for a while :rolleyes:
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

A.B. is his own worst enemy for a fact. He isn't very intelligent but I get the impression he thinks he is. That's a bad combination ( Narcissism and stupidity). If he has emotional troubles all this stress will likely enhance them. Hopefully he has an emotional support network.

Back to the Kapernick topic I seem to remember him receiving an out of court settlement from the NFL for his lawsuit. I wonder if he really wants to return and be exposed or stay gone and be a hero to some.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well it wasn't pretty like most Chief's victories have been in the past two years>> but that's OK we'll take it. That makes us 3-0 and leading our division. Oh I realize it's very early in the season but if they can keep scoring over 30 points a game they will have a shot at it come January.

I was really shocked the Detroit beat Phillie :eek: That has got to be the upset of the week I'm sure. And we ( The Chief's) play Detroit next week. But I got a feeling our passing game will destroy them>> but I will say that it looks like their defense has sure improved. Then we come back to ARROWHEAD to play the Colts two weeks from today.

This is getting to be kind of a strange season>> because there are a lot of defensive units that have improved including ours.

Also it's been a great day not hearing any more of the media sewage of Antonio Brown today>> so far anyway :rolleyes:
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Well the 49ers are 3-0. A bye week coming up.
Still not sure if they are legit as they took care of business against teams with losing records.
Browns in 2 weeks and rams in 3 weeks will really tell the story.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Bills are 3-0 👀
Spydergirl88
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SF Native wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:45 pm
Still not sure if they are legit as they took care of business against teams with losing records.
Yeah the KC Chiefs traded Dee Ford to the 49ers and I wish they had not done that :( I think the 49ers are for real and look to be going to the play-offs
I'm still mind blown that Detroit beat Phillie :eek: And we got to play those guys this next Sunday
No it's going to take longer than 3 to 4 weeks to see how the Browns and Rams fare this season. Now the Rams may indeed return to the Post Season but my jury is still out on the Browns.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:50 pm
Bills are 3-0 👀
Yeah I've noticed that :) I'm hoping that they will give the Evil Empire a very hard way to go. Being they are in their division.

That franchise hasn't been on track since Jim Kelley retired. It's a darn shame that they didn't at least win one of the 4 Superbowls they went to :(
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:02 pm
SF Native wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:45 pm
Yeah the KC Chiefs traded Dee Ford to the 49ers and I wish they had not done that :( I think the 49ers are for real and look to be going to the play-offs
I'm still mind blown that Detroit beat Phillie :eek: And we got to play those guys this next Sunday
No it's going to take longer than 3 to 4 weeks to see how the Browns and Rams fare this season. Now the Rams may indeed return to the Post Season but my jury is still out on the Browns.
It’s the nlf, any team can pull off an upset. Phillie has been really good but inconsistent the last few years. They couldn’t even decide who the QB is for the team.

Dee Ford has been really good with Bosa. Opposing QB’s have a lot less time to do their thing. That helps the secondary a lot.

Lot of turnovers by 49ers. They need to clean that up.

The browns have a young QB, like a lot of teams. Maybe they figure him out when they have enough tape to see some weaknesses and patterns in his play.
Your chiefs seem to have the real deal though. Kc keeps winning games.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

It's not out of the realm of possibility that the Chiefs and 49ers could face each other in the Superbowl. Also I find it very interesting that over the past 30 years the Chiefs and 49ers have made some most incredible trades with each other over the years. And that goes back to when we traded to get Joe Montana back in the early 90s>> not to mention Elvis Grbac, Steve Bono and Alex Smith. You don't often see two teams trade that much over.that many years. Yeah I have more optimism about 49ers Garappalo than I do Mayfield, Jones, Murray, Turbisky, Wentz ect,. or most of these other newer QBs in the league for that matter.

The niners do have a mean defense. I sure wish the Chiefs had better D :(
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I’m not sure how much longer I’m going to be able to watch the NFL this year. The new rule changes are absolute bullshit, excuse my language. Let them play for gods sake.
Josh
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Yeah these holding calls are crazy
Spydergirl88
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I've seen more than a few plays where the quarterback hit is called where it shouldn't be IMO. I can see protecting helpless players but what I see goes way beyond that. The flag use in general is way too high. In some games it seems like every play has a flag.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:02 pm
I've seen more than a few plays where the quarterback hit is called where it shouldn't be IMO. I can see protecting helpless players but what I see goes way beyond that. The flag use in general is way too high. In some games it seems like every play has a flag.
One of these teams is going to level Lamar Jackson. He’s currently dodging defenders left and right and not protecting himself. Will be interesting how the refs call this when he goes down like RG3.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Injuries humble people and really do change them. Example is Cam Newton. He was acting shell shocked in the games before he went down again this year. He needs a year off to heal i think. :) When I went through the shoulder surgeries if someone told me I was going to have 300 pound people trying to sack me even 6 months later I would have gone into hiding and started carrying a gun. :( Now I can laugh but then it wouldn't have been even remotely funny.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:47 pm
Injuries humble people and really do change them. Example is Cam Newton. He was acting shell shocked in the games before he went down again this year. He needs a year off to heal i think. :) When I went through the shoulder surgeries if someone told me I was going to have 300 pound people trying to sack me even 6 months later I would have gone into hiding and started carrying a gun. :( Now I can laugh but then it wouldn't have been even remotely funny.
What you're saying is so true concerning QBs. Because some QBs are great as long as they have Military-like protection. Take Steve Young the old 49er's QB. As long as he was protected he could pick you apart all day long>> but if they lay a really mean NFL type hit on him then he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn afterwards. I could name off at least a dozen who were just like him.
On the other hand there were a few really brave QBs like Dan Fouts, Bill Kenney, Roger Staubach and our own Lenny Dawson who could take a lot of punishment and seemed get better as the game went along.
Some of those "old-school" QBs were truly warriors in a sense. His majesty Lord Brady is a lot that way. Because once the NY Giant's defense of 10 years ago would hammer him then he was useless. I also doubt if his majesty Lord Brady could have stood a pounding from Mike Ditka's Chicago Bear's defense. I even wonder how our Patrick Mahomes could hold up under an old-school defense. I hope we never have to find out :o