NFL Season: 2019-2020

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Mushroom

Re: NFL Season: 2019-2020

Post by Mushroom »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:32 am
Mushroom wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:58 am
UNBELIEVABLE!!! :eek:

Forget a suspension, Myles Garret should be facing jail time! I had so much respect for him too, he was one of my favorite players on that team. Well, after that BS I have lost pretty much all respect for him.

Count me on Maurkice Pounceys side too! I'm glad he defended his quarterback, I just think its too bad Myles Garret had a helmet on for the head kick... :rolleyes:
Your absolutely right.
Can you even imagine what wouldve happened had Garrett hit Rudolph on the head , with the crown of that helmet ?
It may have killed him. Those helmets are very heavy and extremely hard. A real lethal weapon in someone like Garrett's hands.
Yeah he’s lucky it wasn’t the crown of the helmet that connected, things could have ended a lot worse! Like you said, it could have been lethal.

And the league has handed down their punishments.
This is from the NFL twitter -

Both Steelers and Browns were fined $250k and Myles Garret suspended indefinitely and it looks like Pouncey didn’t get let off the hook, he’s getting 3 a game suspension.
-Nick :bug-red
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

MacLaren wrote:
Your absolutely right.
Can you even imagine what wouldve happened had Garrett hit Rudolph on the head , with the crown of that helmet ?
It may have killed him. Those helmets are very heavy and extremely hard. A real lethal weapon in someone like Garrett's hands.
They got these helmets designed all wrong. Should be a big marshmallow on their heads. You wouldn’t lead with you head trying to injure anyone with a marshmallow. But that would remove some of the bloodletting from the sport.

These suspensions are an over reaction. They spent 3 hours trying to kill each other, who cares about a helmet or a few kicks. They should do this after every game. Appeals will reduce most of this, especially the team fines is my guess.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

SF Native wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:34 am
MacLaren wrote:
Your absolutely right.
They got these helmets designed all wrong. Should be a big marshmallow on their heads. You wouldn’t lead with you head trying to injure anyone with a marshmallow. But that would remove some of the bloodletting from the sport.

These suspensions are an over reaction. They spent 3 hours trying to kill each other, who cares about a helmet or a few kicks. They should do this after every game. Appeals will reduce most of this, especially the team fines is my guess.
You clearly never played football. This isn't something to joke about. I don't even know where to begin with someone with your mentality on the subject. I played from when I was 7-22 years old in college, there's certain codes to the game that you don't break. Yea, people grab facemasks and open hand smack helmets when things get heated...but Garrett crossed a MAJOR line last night. I was honestly horrified as I watched it happen, expecting to see Rudolph collapse to the field or a stream of blood from a gash on his head. He was extremely lucky he was hit with the padded section of the helmet.

Honestly, don't talk like that if you haven't been there. If you have...you should be ashamed of yourself thinking that way.

The suspensions are in no way an overreaction!! Garrett should be suspended well into next season as well. It's football, their not out there trying to kill each other.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I vehemently disagree with the Pouncey 3 game suspension.
1 game okay, but 3???
Spydiegirl really called that one....
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:45 am
SF Native wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:34 am
MacLaren wrote:
Your absolutely right.

You clearly never played football. This isn't something to joke about. I don't even know where to begin with someone with your mentality on the subject. I played from when I was 7-22 years old in college, there's certain codes to the game that you don't break. Yea, people grab facemasks and open hand smack helmets when things get heated...but Garrett crossed a MAJOR line last night. I was honestly horrified as I watched it happen, expecting to see Rudolph collapse to the field or a stream of blood from a gash on his head. He was extremely lucky he was hit with the padded section of the helmet.

Honestly, don't talk like that if you haven't been there. If you have...you should be ashamed of yourself thinking that way.

The suspensions are in no way an overreaction!! Garrett should be suspended well into next season as well. It's football, their not out there trying to kill each other.
Amen.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:08 pm
1 game okay, but 3???
I know right?? That seems a bit steep, granted he broke the cardinal rule of punching another player, also getting a kick or two in as well...but under those circumstances, I don't agree. He was protecting his teammate, who was without a helmet and MUCH smaller than Garrett. I don't even want to think of what could have happened had neither DeCastro nor Pouncey been there and it was helmetless Rudolph and Garrett toe to toe, we very well might have witnessed a death on the football field. Garrett is a freak of nature, the damage he could do WITHOUT a helmet to Rudolph would be immense...but swinging a helmet, good grief. I totally agree with a 1 game suspension for Pouncey though, that seems fair.

-Rick
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:17 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:08 pm
1 game okay, but 3???
I know right?? That seems a bit steep, granted he broke the cardinal rule of punching another player, also getting a kick or two in as well...but under those circumstances, I don't agree. He was protecting his teammate, who was without a helmet and MUCH smaller than Garrett. I don't even want to think of what could have happened had neither DeCastro nor Pouncey been there and it was helmetless Rudolph and Garrett toe to toe, we very well might have witnessed a death on the football field. Garrett is a freak of nature, the damage he could do WITHOUT a helmet to Rudolph would be immense...but swinging a helmet, good grief. I totally agree with a 1 game suspension for Pouncey though, that seems fair.
Absolutely.
If I were the Steelers front office, I would appeal on the grounds that, Garrett could've taken additional swings at Rudolph!
Ya know? Just like you said, if not for David DeCastro and Pouncey, then who knows?
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

TkoK83Spy wrote:

The joke here is the CODES of conduct you refer to. If a receiver is crossing the middle of field and catches a ball and is laid out by a linebacker, we cheer and say good defensive play. That’s a helmet with the weight of a head and body behind it. If it’s a really hard hit, all the better. The playoffs have even harder hits because the refs swallow the whistles. That is a much more dangerous and weekly occurring play than what happened in this fight.
They are not trying to kill each other? I don’t mean kill literally. But vontaze burfict is still in the league. He tried to hurt guys every week. To him, that’s his job. We are talking about a sport that has a weekly injury report for every team. No one got hurt here.

Another piece for contrast. Hockey players have fights and do much more damage than what these guys did. Getting to be less and less, but they do fight. And they have sticks to hit each other with. Guys regularly lose teeth.
What happened last night was weak sauce. He just wasn’t following the CODES. It doesn’t look good on tv. And we know how that goes, just ask Kaepernick.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

You are correct that fans and players alike enjoy a big hit, but MOST players don't really want to injure another guy. Burfict is an exception to the rule, and has been suspended indefinitely for it...granted it took longer than it should have. The league IS trying to make it safer with all these changes and rules, but players these days are so incredibly strong and fast that injuries are bound to happen while playing. Last night, the potential damage that could have been done...was outside of playing the game. That shouldn't have happened.

Hockey players...those guys are just crazy! I don't follow the sport, but I know those are some tough dudes.

-Rick
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Rick, you remember bountygate?
The whole saints team was paid for injuries to opposing players. The whole team...
no one was saying, “for the integrity of the game, I don’t believe in hurting other players.” They were cashing checks. It didn’t go on for a few weeks. It was a few years. On a team that is good. Not some bad team trying a last ditch effort to stop a losing streak. And it started with the coaches, who are still running the team. Maybe guys played right in collage, but I think the pro’s are as dirty as can be.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:30 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:07 am
MacLaren wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:58 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:53 pm
Pouncey will probably get suspended a game or 2 for kicking and punching Garrett while trying to defend Rudolph.
Dont think he will!
He should only be suspended if he didn't do that.
Seriously, they wont hold that against Pouncey.
Much RESPECT for Pouncey.
Anyone wouldve done what he did.
I am on Pouncey's side but you know how Roger Goodell loves to give out unfair and inconsistent suspensions...
Oh, of course. And, yes Goodell does.
But, I really do believe the backlash and support will be profound for Pouncey, that even Goodell, wont dare touch him
I've let it be known on several occasions that Roger Goodell most definitely has his buddies that he really looks out for. And what MAC says about inconsistent suspensions is right on. I do believe that Goodell is totally corrupt. And if someone isn't one of Goodell's buddies they get super big suspensions and astronomical fines. Pete Rozelle was the last real commissioner the NFL had IMO.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SF Native wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:44 pm
Rick, you remember bountygate?
The whole saints team was paid for injuries to opposing players. The whole team...
no one was saying, “for the integrity of the game, I don’t believe in hurting other players.” They were cashing checks. It didn’t go on for a few weeks. It was a few years. On a team that is good. Not some bad team trying a last ditch effort to stop a losing streak. And it started with the coaches, who are still running the team. Maybe guys played right in collage, but I think the pro’s are as dirty as can be.

On that Bounty-Gate scandal there was also an edict to do any harm to Brett Favre that they could get away with. I think that's why Favre got hurt so bad in that one playoff game with the Saints. If I remember right the head coach Sean Peyton even got an entire year suspension on that one.

However corruption in the NFL has been going on since the 60s that I can remember. The late Al Davis of the Raiders and the LA Rams old owner Rosenbloom I think his name was were both steeped in corruption but very little ever came of it.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

SF Native wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:15 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:

The joke here is the CODES of conduct you refer to. If a receiver is crossing the middle of field and catches a ball and is laid out by a linebacker, we cheer and say good defensive play. That’s a helmet with the weight of a head and body behind it. If it’s a really hard hit, all the better. The playoffs have even harder hits because the refs swallow the whistles. That is a much more dangerous and weekly occurring play than what happened in this fight.
They are not trying to kill each other? I don’t mean kill literally. But vontaze burfict is still in the league. He tried to hurt guys every week. To him, that’s his job. We are talking about a sport that has a weekly injury report for every team. No one got hurt here.

Another piece for contrast. Hockey players have fights and do much more damage than what these guys did. Getting to be less and less, but they do fight. And they have sticks to hit each other with. Guys regularly lose teeth.
What happened last night was weak sauce. He just wasn’t following the CODES. It doesn’t look good on tv. And we know how that goes, just ask Kaepernick.
No, the joke is you not realizing that, had that helmet been turned around the other way, it could've very easily killed Mason Rudolph.
That was way beyond any code. That was flat out lethal had that helmet been turned the other way. It might as well been considered a dam anvil in the hands of Garrett, which btw, NFL players are much stronger and hit a helluva lot harder than hockey players. That's just a fact. Heck, that's why the NFL has outlawed so many types of hits and tackles. Those dudes are flat out dangerous.
I really dont think you understand just how very dangerous that situation was. Mason Rudolph did not have a helmet on.
And, please I'm not trying to.be mean or insensitive, it's just that what happened last night was extremely dangerous and truly trumps whether it was bad tv or.not.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Greg Williams was defensive coordinator for the saints during bountygate.... Guess who is the defensive coordinator for the Browns? Ban Greg Williams for life from the NFL.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:19 pm
Greg Williams was defensive coordinator for the saints during bountygate.... Guess who is the defensive coordinator for the Browns? Ban Greg Williams for life from the NFL.
This might be the only situation in which I would say he is lucky to be with the Jets this season. I agree it would be a horrible look if he were in charge of that Browns defense this year, they’re out of control!
-Nick :bug-red
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:58 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:19 pm
This might be the only situation in which I would say he is lucky to be with the Jets this season. I agree it would be a horrible look if he were in charge of that Browns defense this year, they’re out of control!
Lol my bad he was there last season. Oops.
Spydergirl88
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I still think Gregg Williams is a dirtbag!
Spydergirl88
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Booger McFarland says Rudolph should really press charges
I tend to agree.
Edit* Booger also said that Garrett broke the code.
Again, this is beyond the code. The code they talk about is not taking cheap shots like to the knees, or like Warren Sapp did to Chad .....heck I forget his last name, the code is not to fight or hit someone when their helmet comes off, etc, etc....... But, trying to brain someone, to possibly kill, paralyze or maim someone with no helmet, that's not the code per say.. that's CRIMINAL.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:19 pm
Booger McFarland says Rudolph should really press charges
I tend to agree.
Edit* Booger also said that Garrett broke the code.
Again, this is beyond the code. The code they talk about is not taking cheap shots like to the knees, or like Warren Sapp did to Chad .....heck I forget his last name, the code is not to fight or hit someone when their helmet comes off, etc, etc....... But, trying to brain someone, to possibly kill, paralyze or maim someone with no helmet, that's not the code per say.. that's CRIMINAL.
Hey MAC I see where you're coming from on that one. But I have to go along with what Stephen A. Smith said about the whole scope of the incident. He made the point that no one was seriously injured even though the potential was certainly there. And any defense attorney could make the point that it was a football game with highly spirited circumstances. Now I do 1000% agree that Myles Garrett should be suspended for the remainder of the year and well into next year with a hefty fine attached. Because they should send a harsh message that using a weapon to hit someone in a game will have extremely dire consequences.

There really wasn't anything pre-meditated here at all that I can tell. Even though I did think what M. Garrett did was totally appalling and completely reprehensible. The guy is going to lose close to 2 million dollars just this year alone with wages lost. Not to mention what he'll lose next year before his indefinite suspension is lifted. Personally I think he should be suspended for the first 6 games of next season. That would make anyone else with those tendencies think twice. And if he does it again I think he should be ejected from the league for life. There was no reason in him hitting Rudolph with that helmet>> For God's Sake they had already won the game for crying out loud. And they should make him do a lot of community service while he's suspended as a condition for being let back into the league when he serves the remainder of his time.

I don't think dragging the justice system in this would accomplish anything worth while. All of the money he's losing is going to be a kick in the crotch big time. And I don't think that Pouncey guy should get anything except maybe a moderate fine. He was just coming to the aid of his Quarterback. Garrett should be held responsible for the entire incident. The guy that hit Rudolph in the back should be the one getting three games instead of Pouncey. How cowardly can you get hitting a guy in the back like that :mad: And all that hoodlum got was one game :mad:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Garret should be in jail for attempted murder.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050