NFL Season: 2019-2020

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Re: NFL Season: 2019-2020

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:40 pm
What do you mean IF Cam Newton ends up a starter again? :confused: Cam Newton is NOT going anywhere to play as a backup...
There are so many teams that need a good starting QB right now. What makes you think Cam Newton is suddenly going to devalue himself enough to play as a backup when there will be several starting jobs available?

Of course, he's not going to a top notch contender because those teams already have their starting QB. That's why a dumpster fire team like the Bengals would make sense. I think the Bears makes the most sense for him though because they have a good defense and a decent offense but Trubisky is just hot garbage. If they replace Trubisky with Cam Newton, they might have a legitimate chance at winning the NFC North. They'll never win a Super Bowl with Trubisky though. Theres already talk about the Bears moving on from Mitchell Trubisky and if they do, Cam Newton will most likely be the best available option for them.
Yeah the Bears makes sense as a possible destination for Newton. As far as him being automatically entitled to a starting job>> he'll have to earn that post. Give you an example. A few years ago when the Chiefs landed Joe Montana in a trade with the Niners>> when he first got to the team in a trade the Chiefs already had Dave Kreig for QB. Joe had to compete against Kreig to get his starting job. There was all kinds of QB controversy on that one. And it wasn't automatic because then Coach Marty Schottenheimer really made Joe earn it. Now if you think any QB would have been automatically a starter it would have been MR. Joe Montana>> but no they truly made him earn the starting job. And Dave Kreig was his back up for the two wonderful years we had Joe.

Yeah I've already decided that Trubisky is without any doubt a draft bust and I'm afraid that Mayfield isn't too far behind him unless his circumstances change for the better. His play particularly the past 3 weeks has been nothing but abysmal IMO. OH I agree Coach Kitchens is truly a joke and a bad joke at that. LIke I said of all the coaching candidates they could have had including our own Eric Bieniemy would have been available. It's pretty certain that Eric will be getting a head coaching job after this season and the Browns would be a great place for him to start too. Eric has done great here in KC with all that he has accomplished.

But what the heck we could both be wrong when it all comes out in the wash. But I don't see either Trubisky or Mayfield either one becoming a top notch QB. It's really weird too because it seems like the Browns and about 10 other teams I could mention all seem to have some type of curse on them if I didn't really know better. The Redskins also being a prime example.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

OK it took me a while to decide on this one but here's my Week #10 picks
The Bills over the Browns
The Chiefs over the Titans
The Lions over the Bears
The Bucs over the Cardinals
The Cowboys over the Vikings
The Saints over the Falcons
The Seahawks over the 49ers
I kind of shuffled them around and actually picked 5 of them at random this time. I wish I had put the list together earlier because I just might have gambled on the Raiders>> and congratulations to the Raiders>> to me they might be the most improved team in the NFL in the AFC conference. Without any shred of a doubt the 49ers are the most improved team in the NFC. This second half of the season should make for a very interesting outcome by Week #17. And NO!! I'm not going to pick the division winners just yet. This year has just been too weird and unusual for me to go out on that kind of limb this early :rolleyes:
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I have to agree with Nick, NO WAY will Cam play as a backup. Though, with his injuries the past few years, limiting his mobility, it has proven he's not the best of pocket passers. His mobility and size is what makes him a great quarterback and it's sad to see him not able to play to his abilities these past couple years.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:50 pm
I have to agree with Nick, NO WAY will Cam play as a backup. Though, with his injuries the past few years, limiting his mobility, it has proven he's not the best of pocket passers. His mobility and size is what makes him a great quarterback and it's sad to see him not able to play to his abilities these past couple years.
Oh I bet Cam Newton would play back up rather than retire. He would be a fool to quit early in his career if he's not hurt too badly. Even if he had to be a back up QB for a while ( maybe a third of a season) he probably wouldn't be there very long. I'm 95% certain he would do that rather than retire early>> especially at the rate of pay his agent could get for him.
I was in no way saying that he would be relegated to staying a back up for the rest of his career>> heck no. But recovering from that type of injury he might have to work his way back slowly depending on his overall recovery. I'm sure he's got at least 3 to 5 years left in his playing career. No I wasn't saying that he would be a back up for the remainder of his career.
What the heck Patrick Mahomes started out as a back up for Alex Smith who isn't even half the QB Mahomes has turned out to be. It's all speculation anyway. He might do what Andrew Luck did and just retire before he gets really beat up. And who would have predicted that one :confused: I don't think anyone seen that one coming :confused:???
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:35 pm
The Lions over the Bears
What a weird week. Your picks are getting crushed so far. The bucs are the only hit. Is that right? How did the saints, bills, and chiefs lose?
Some of these other ones I can see but dang.

Btw, I don’t think the browns issues are baker mayfield’s fault. One guy can’t turn around a whole disfuntional franchise.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Today was absolutely shameful for the entire Chief's organization. My first gut feeling is to blame the defense>> but no it goes deeper than that. With all the super talent we have on that team and to lose a game like we did today is just enough to make you throw up on an empty stomach :(

I'm now doubtful that the Chiefs will even win the Western division. I truly think that Oakland will probably be the division Champs by week #17. The coaching is nothing less than disgraceful :mad: And for the lack of execution and allowing the Titans to stay in the game just shows me nothing but lousy coaching. Oh yes I realize that Andy Reid is rated a good coach and people respect him. But come on folks!!! The proof is in a lousy batch of pudding and it's enough to gross you out. I've been a Chief's fan since the days of Hank Stram and Lenny Dawson.. But this is about as low as I've ever been. This loss was totally INEXCUSABLE :mad: It's time for some serious coaching changes> and I think you can already write this team off for the year. I just don't see them as Championhip caliber at all with this coaching staff. This is just sickening :(
Last edited by JD Spydo on Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SF Native wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:36 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:35 pm
The Lions over the Bears
What a weird week. Your picks are getting crushed so far. The bucs are the only hit. Is that right? How did the saints, bills, and chiefs lose?
Some of these other ones I can see but dang.

Btw, I don’t think the browns issues are baker mayfield’s fault. One guy can’t turn around a whole disfuntional franchise.
First off the loss of the KC Chiefs today was a coaching blunder that should be getting some people fired. Reid has had plenty of time to get this team in the neon lights and to the big dance>> and we even got him arguably the best QB in the league and he still can't do anything but lay an egg even with Mahomes on our team. To say that I'm disgusted with today's game would be putting it mildly. But trust me there are about 2 Million other Chief's fans that are in agreement with me. It's not just the defense it's the entire coaching staff. Today's game was completely INEXCUSABLE :mad:

As far as my bad picks>> I've said it about 8 times already>> this has been one of the hardest years to predict games I can ever remember.

If Reid doesn't at least get us to the AFC Championship game again then I say he's just got to go.. No exceptions :mad: We can' waste a super talent like Mahomes, Hill and Kelce. These guys deserve a better coach than this.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Man, I tell ya, when the Falcons and Saints play, you can forget whatever record one or the other has.
It's really untelling who will win. Seems like today however, the Facons wanted it more.

*Edit, and how about the Pittsburgh Steelers!
Super impressive win today. I tell ya, if the Steelers make the playoffs this season, then Mike Tomlin should probably he Coach of the year imo.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:03 pm
Man, I tell ya, when the Falcons and Saints play, you can forget whatever record one or the other has.
It's really untelling who will win. Seems like today however, the Facons wanted it more.

*Edit, and how about the Pittsburgh Steelers!
Super impressive win today. I tell ya, if the Steelers make the playoffs this season, then Mike Tomlin should probably he Coach of the year imo.
Oh yES!!! Stephen A. Smith might just have to eat his words :D Because when Big Ben went down he gave the Steelers no chance what so ever for this season. Rudolph and the Steelers have done much better than I would imagined. They might just get a wild card spot when it's all said and done.

Yesterday truly had to be one of the weirdest and most unpredictable game days in NFL history. There were at least 5 huge upsets that no one hardly would have bet on. Again this has been the year of the back up and Rookie QB>> and it's also been the hardest year to predict games I can remember in my lifetime. Also the Cowboys laid a big egg last night. One more inexcusable loss for the Cowboys and I think we're going to see coach Garrett go "Bye-Bye' :rolleyes:
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Heck of a Monday night game so far
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:35 pm
Heck of a Monday night game so far
Really is. Surprising how a couple good defenses can wreak havoc against both of these offenses.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well for Week #10 I at least I got 2 out of 7 of my picks correct :o :o :( The previous week I was 5 out of 7. But again I don't ever remember a year in which these games were as hard to predict as they are this year. Come Thursday evening I'll get another 7 picks going but if I don't do better this time then I'm going back to my day job :o

But some of the picks I made just didn't even seem fair when you think about it. Who would have thunk the Cowboys would have lost to the Vikings on their home field :confused: :confused: After the horrible slump the Bears were in who would have picked them to beat the much improved Detroit Lions :confused: :confused: Also the Saints losing to the Falcons>> I bet 98% of the betting in Vegas was for the Saints on that game.

This 2019 season is the year of the UPSET and the year of the BACK UP QB and Rookie QB. And nothing else makes any sense at all. I'll be here Thurday Night for the picks of week #11. NO!! please don't wish me luck!! Because the way things are going it might backfire badly :o :confused: .
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Crazy weekend in the NFL! :eek: I went 5 for 12 on my picks this week and 3 of which were underdog wins.

A number of games I thought were locks just weren't! I really didn't give the Titans a chance against the Chiefs. Also, I never would have expected the Falcons to beat the Saints. Seems like it might just always be a tough divisional matchup when those teams play. And the Rams over Steelers game was surprising to me, but not nearly as much as the other two games I mentioned. Mike Tomlin is really doing a **** of a job with that team right now and I agree that he is a top coach of the year candidate!

The few games I did manage to predict, I had: Baltimore beating Cincinnati because no one, including Cincinnati fans, had Cincinnati beating Baltimore; then Green Bay over Carolina; and the 3 upset picks I had were Minnesota over Dallas; Seattle over San Francisco; and I picked Miami to cover the spread (11.5) against Indy but didn't expect them to actually win! I dont necessarily count the Miami pick though because I really didn't think they would win the game. Just thought they'd be able to keep it within 11.5 points.
Last edited by Mushroom on Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Nick :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:50 am
Crazy weekend in the NFL! :eek: I went 5 for 12 on my picks this week and 3 of which were underdog wins.

A number of games I thought were locks just weren't! I really didn't give the Titans a chance against the Chiefs. Also, I never would have expected the Falcons to beat the Saints. Seems like it might just always be a tough divisional matchup when those teams play. And the Rams over Steelers game was surprising to me, but not nearly as much as the other two games I mentioned. Mike Tomlin is really doing a **** of a job with that team right now and I agree that he is a top coach of the year candidate!

The few games I did manage to predict, I had: Baltimore beating Cincinnati because no one, including Cincinnati fans, had Cincinnati beating Baltimore; then Green Bay over Carolina; and the 3 upset picks I had were Minnesota over Dallas; Seattle over San Francisco; and I picked Miami to cover the spread (11.5) against Indy but didn't expect them to actually win! I dont necessarily count the Miami pick though because I really didn't think they would win the game. Just thought they'd be able to keep it within 11.5 points.

I'm telling you dude I don't ever remember a season like this one. One of my very best friends years ago literally made a living by betting on NFL and college football games>> until he got really greedy and went to Vegas against the big boys and literally had to have money sent to him just to get back home.
But even during those times which could bite you really hard>> I still don't ever remember a season like this one. Three weeks ago I made 5 predictions and lost everyone of those. Nor do I remember a season in which so many back up and Rookie QBs are truly stealing the show to a large degree.
Well Brother now you know how I've been feeling this entire NFL season :o :o :confused:
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

How about the Steelers 😁. It's a miracle in motion!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearrowland wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:05 pm
How about the Steelers 😁. It's a miracle in motion!
It is a huge surprise what Coach Tomlin has done with the Steelers this season after losing big Ben for the remainder of the year. It truly wouldn't surprise me if them and Oakland both might have a real chance at a wild card slot.

Again this is truly THEE YEAR of the ROOKIE & BACK UP QB throughout the entire league. I'll root for the Steelers any day before I would the Evil Empire. This 2019-2020 Season has sure not played out like I had thought it would. And Who the heck is MASON RUDOLPH anyway :confused: ?? Well I wish him well unless he goes up against the Chiefs in the post season. It is a most interesting season thus far.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Tell me about it JD! It's a crazy season for sure!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Steelers vs Browns... Who you got?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:44 am
Steelers vs Browns... Who you got?
OK I'll go ahead and post my Week #11 picks. Actually I got them done last night. There are two upsets I'm banking on. So here they are. And we'll get the STeelers out of the way first :D
(1) Steelers over the Browns
(2) Falcons over the Panthers
(3) Raiders over the Bengals ( it's going to be closer than you think)
(4) Eagles over the Patriots ( and no it isn't because I changed my mind about Wentz :rolleyes: )
(5) Jaguars over the Colts
(6 Cowboys over the Lions ( even a broken clock is right twice a day :rolleyes: )
(7) The Chiefs over the Chargers ( if the Chiefs let me down on this one I doubt if I pick them anymore this year :( )

Well it should be interesting. And with the dismal results that many of us have had this year I think those picks are about as good as any :rolleyes:
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Surprisingly, I’ve been having a decent season and averaging 7/12 games on the year so far (A little under 60% or so). I personally think many of these games have been relatively predictable, but the past two weeks have had some unexpected results.

On the Browns vs Steeler’s, this is a tough one to predict for a few reasons. It’s a divisional matchup and both teams absolutely need this win, so they’ll both be playing hard! The Browns have more talent on their roster but are way out matched in the coaching department. Steelers are trying to salvage their season and on a good win streak right now! I think they’re going to carry that momentum into this game and take the win.

Also JD, after all the crap you’ve talked about Carson Wentz this season, I’m genuinely curious how you think he’s going to beat the Patriots?
-Nick :bug-red