NFL Season: 2019-2020

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
bearrowland

Re: NFL Season: 2019-2020

Post by bearrowland »

The Steelers were on fire, as well as the Vikings! Rookie QB 2019 is shaping up to be a very exciting season.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearrowland wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:06 pm
The Steelers were on fire, as well as the Vikings! Rookie QB 2019 is shaping up to be a very exciting season.
Seriously have you ever seen a season in the NFL where so many Rookie and Back up QBs have stolen the show so to speak???? I remember some years where maybe two back up QBs will come on strong but nothing like what I've seen this year.

Also the Cowboys falling to the NY Jets :eek: That's another game I wouldn't have bet one thin dime on the Jets winning. There have also been so many huge upsets this season as well. It might even shock us who ends up winning the Superbowl this year. Because this is one really strange year in a lot of ways.
JD Spydo

NFL Teams falling apart rapidly

Post by JD Spydo »

We now have 5 NFL teams that are truly falling apart right in front of us. We have two teams that are totally disintegrating right before our eyes. First and foremost: the Dallas Cowboys are truly self destructing. Losing to the Jets today!!! Are you kidding me!!! :eek:
Second: The KC Chiefs>> we have a defense that is completely "non-existent". No excuse they had the entire "off season" to do repairs. I'm doubtful now if we even make the playoffs unless something dramatic changes in the next two weeks.
Third: The Atlanta Falcons have truly taken a bad nose-dive so far into the 2019 season. It's sickening to watch too.
Fourth: The Browns went into the 2019 season with huge expectations. A team with as much talent as the Browns Roster has the results so far have been pathetic.
Fifth: The Rams who were stalwarts in the NFC last season and the expectations this year were even better>> But the Rams are truly laying a big egg compared to what they did last season. The playoffs are not a certainty for this team either.

What did these organizations accomplish in the off-season :confused: ?? So far I'm not seeing any evidence of any improvements on any of these teams. It truly breaks my heart for the Chief's fans. The Cowboys are just a laughable joke at this point. With the talent that the Chiefs and Cowboys have on their rosters these declines in these two teams are completely UNEXCUSABLE!!! :(
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

As Gregg esterbrook used to say “90% of the action happens away from the ball.”
In the off-season the rams let Suh go on the defense. They also lost left guard Saffold and center Sullivan on the offensive line.

The 49ers really got jimmy g back but picked up dee Ford and bosa on the defensive line. These minor differences make a huge impact. Probably more of an impact than signing a reciever that will touch the ball 4 times a game.

They have not jumped at trading for highly touted receivers or corner backs that will mess up their salary cap when contracts come up next year. They might stay good for a while.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SF Native wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:43 am
As Gregg esterbrook used to say “90% of the action happens away from the ball.”
In the off-season the rams let Suh go on the defense. They also lost left guard Saffold and center Sullivan on the offensive line.

The 49ers really got jimmy g back but picked up dee Ford and bosa on the defensive line. These minor differences make a huge impact. Probably more of an impact than signing a reciever that will touch the ball 4 times a game.

They have not jumped at trading for highly touted receivers or corner backs that will mess up their salary cap when contracts come up next year. They might stay good for a while.
All good points for sure. I Predicted your Niners would beat the Rams even though everyone and his Brother disagreed with me :rolleyes: I'm still on record saying that Wentz is not the QB everyone thinks he is. Him and Mayfield both have a lot to prove yet IMO. Notice the Vikings had no trouble with Wentz yesterday.
The Chiefs are so filthy rich with receivers ( more than they need) so why don't they do some kind of a trade to get a most needed defensive spark plug that could help on that side of the ball :confused: If the Chiefs would have had at least an "average" defensive unit they would be 6-0 right now. But everyone runs the ball at will against us and has since the first day of the season. Why can't these so-called genius coaches figure that out :rolleyes:
I'm rooting for your Niners and Packers both>> but I do hope that something can be done to salvage the Chiefs 2019 season. Two more losses ( especially at home) are going to shipwreck them for the season I'm sure of it :(
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

OK I went 3 out of 5 again. I had predicted that the Giants, Chiefs, Vikings, 49ers and Packers were going to win in week #6. It is really tough to predict these games this year. And the Packers just barely pulled it off. Aaron Rogers I still think may be the best "clutch" QB in the league.

OK on to week #7. I'll come up with another 5 tomorrow.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Easy picks this week. 49ers over skins, patriots over jets, bills over Miami.
Tough to call and worth watching...
Texans vs colts. I’m going with colts.
Ravens vs Seahawks. I’m going with Seahawks
Eagles vs cowboys. Eagles. Cowboys keep letting us down. I have no faith.
Saints vs bears. Saints can’t seem to lose.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Is the NFL rigged???
I've NEVER even considered it until last night, - actually I still dont truly consider it, but nonetheless am FURIOUS with those illegal hand to the face penalties last night on the Lions!!
Or better yet, that ref may have been bought and paid for, or had a bundle riding on the game.
Either way, last nights game was just sickening.
I usually dont rant like this, but last night was bad imo.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:35 am
Is the NFL rigged???
I've NEVER even considered it until last night, - actually I still dont truly consider it, but nonetheless am FURIOUS with those illegal hand to the face penalties last night on the Lions!!
Or better yet, that ref may have been bought and paid for, or had a bundle riding on the game.
I agree, the officiating last night was really bad! It was literally the difference between first place and last place for the Lions in that division. :mad: The hands to the face calls were absurd. The Packers player was the one with his hand on Trey Flowers facemask, and Flowers got called for it! :mad:

On top of those terrible calls, the Packers were gifted a 4th quarter touchdown. The receivers knee was clearly down before the ball crossed the goal line. Not to say they wouldn't have been able to punch it in, but they should've had to play it from that spot, because it definitely wasn't a touchdown.
Last edited by Mushroom on Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Nick :bug-red
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:56 am
MacLaren wrote:
Is the NFL rigged???
I agree, the officiating last night was really bad! It was literally the difference between first place and last place for the Lions in that division. :mad: The hands to the face calls were absurd. The Packers player was the one with his hand on Trey Flowers facemask, and Flowers got called for it! :mad:

On top of those terrible calls, the Packers were gifted a 4th quarter touchdown. The receivers knee was clearly down before the ball crossed the goal line. Not to say they wouldn't have been ablate punch it in, but they should've had to play it from that spot, because it definitely wasn't a touchdown.
Dude, it was terrible. The Lions were done a terrible injustice.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Is the NFL rigged???
That's an interesting consideration MacLaren and I've been doing some thinking about that in the past year or so. Case & Point> In last year's playoffs in the final 2 games ( NFC & AFC) I truly felt that both games i.e. Rams vs Saints also Chiefs vs Patriots>> there were some really outrageous calls in both games that I really thought were inexcusable for so-called professional officials. I've watched both of the really bad calls that more or less determined both games quite a few times.
I was watching a Youtube video late last night with a guy describing that "hands to the face" call that I'm sure you're talking about. It was clear to me that his hands were only on the guy's shoulder pads>> I never seen the guy's hands on his face at any time and I watched it about 6 times to see if I missed anything>> I didn't it was just an outright bad call period.
Let's keep one big thing in mind>> the NFL is a profit making business bottom line. The NFL makes it's money on sponsors, Cable TV contracts, Sales of team sovenirs ect, gate receipts at the games ect. I'm also sure they have endorsements and other means of income as well.
As much as I've loved the game since I was about 9 years old I have lately done some soul searching asking myself if this is a good way to spend my time? As much outrageous money as all the people involved are making I'm wondering if I shouldn't find another past time.
I can't prove it but something sure stinks and I know what you're getting at.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Another aspect to the NFL is the involvement of the gaming ( gambling) industry. Take that Cowboys vs the Jets game this past week #6 for instance. I'm wondering what the astronomical odds were for the Jets to beat the Cowboys? And look at all the unpredictable upsets that have happened in this season already>> some even more lop sided than that Cowboys vs Jets game. It does make a person wonder what connections the gaming industry might have with the NFL>> and the overall integrity of the NFL. Money breeds corruption>> always has, always will.

Had I bet $1000 on that Cowboys-Jets game I bet the payout would have been colossal. Or the payout on any of the other upsets either for that matter.

I've wondered about the integrity of the NFL or all other pro sports too for that matter for a long time now.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I hear ya JD.
And, ya know the Mafia will always try :)
As a matter of fact, they tried unsuccessfully with some college athletes not long ago. It was in an article that I read.
Last night was BAD.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:52 am
I hear ya JD.
And, ya know the Mafia will always try :)
As a matter of fact, they tried unsuccessfully with some college athletes not long ago. It was in an article that I read.
Last night was BAD.
That's interesting in a way because most of the people I chat with I meet in everyday life all seem to cast more dispersions on college sports than they do pro sports and over the years I've found that quite interesting. Two things to consider is there are far more games to bet on and most college students are financially poor for the most part and would be most vulnerable to caving in and doing something illegal. It's a completely different paradigm all together it seems.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The one time I fall asleep early for a game, I apparently missed something!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:26 am
The one time I fall asleep early for a game, I apparently missed something!
Yeah read the previous 6 to 7 posts. It's something everyone should take a look at. I've been suspecting that some of the more vital/important games might be "monkey rigged" for some time now and it seems like the evidence is growing. Or at least the role the officials play in certain key games.
I'm also now wondering if TV ratings could be playing a part in it???

But on the opposite side of the coin I would have to think that there are way too many people who would be privy of a corruption that appears to be so obvious to some of us. But it would be interesting to know what the odds were on the game out in Vegas. I'm in no way saying I've got a smoking gun because I'm a long, long ways from that. But that so-called "Hands To The Face" penalty was an outright sick joke at best. :(
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

What’s even worse about those hands to the face calls, the player that was called for them, Trey Flowers, has never been flagged for that before in his career! He was with the Patriots for 4 years and using his strength and reach was one of his best defensive traits. He has his technique almost perfected, so it’s just crazy to suddenly be called for it twice in the same quarter...
-Nick :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:03 am
What’s even worse about those hands to the face calls, the player that was called for them, Trey Flowers, has never been flagged for that before in his career! He was with the Patriots for 4 years and using his strength and reach was one of his best defensive traits. He has his technique almost perfected, so it’s just crazy to suddenly be called for it twice in the same quarter...
One horrible, inexcusable bad call in that Cowboy's vs Jets game was when Jason Witten ( Cowboy's tight end) was in the inzone waiting for a pass and that one Jets defender was physically doing everything short of actually mugging the guy>> and you guessed it no call at all :confused: But to any observer of that game that particular foul/penalty was so obvious that it was also a sick joke as well. If I were Jason Witten I would truly be filing a grievance with the league or the Players Union if nothing else. That was so blatant I would think that the commissioner himself would address that one by either fining or suspending that official without pay.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I don’t the no there is anything nefarious going on but there has always been referees influenced by history, team image, etc. I think it’s human nature. It’s why the raiders always seem to have more calls against them for their bad boy image. The lions have traditionally been bad and they get calls against them as if they are losers no matter how good they are. It’s in all sports too. Why does James harden not get called for traveling on every play?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

SF Native wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:34 pm
I don’t the no there is anything nefarious going on but there has always been referees influenced by history, team image, etc. I think it’s human nature. It’s why the raiders always seem to have more calls against them for their bad boy image. The lions have traditionally been bad and they get calls against them as if they are losers no matter how good they are. It’s in all sports too. Why does James harden not get called for traveling on every play?
I hear what your sayin.
But, last night was exceptional imo.
The calls on the Lions were absolutely critical game changers.
You cannot give Aaron Rodgers repeated 1st downs and expect to win. Theres just no way. It wasnt like it was gonna be 3rd and short, - a situation where as you would go for it with a QB like Rodgers, no, this would have been 4th and long. Definitely a punt situation turned into a 1st down. The defense after that was exhausted ...
Last edited by MacLaren on Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.