I started physical therapy

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
PayneTrain

Re: I started physical therapy

Post by PayneTrain »

Congrats on the progress, Doc! I'm currently writing from bed, possibly looking forward to my own round of PT after dropping my motorcycle on my underprotected foot, and I have a renewed appreciation for the work that goes into recovery. The human body is amazing in what it can recover from, and I never underestimate its abilities. In fact, I probably overestimate it. Keep going strong my friend, I'll be looking to you for inspiration soon!

MichaelScott, I have always been a fan of yours and it kills me to hear what you've been going through. I've been surrounded by cancer lately, from human family to even less-deserving dog family, and the very word enrages me. If there's ever anything I can do to help you live life in spite of the odds, my PM's are always open.

I was raised in a family who ignored the problem, which is hardly healthy or productive. I've combined that with the total opposite philosophy of staring a problem in the face, and I think it's resulted in an attitude of going at problems like I'm going to win, like it's just a traffic jam on my road of life. Still not the best way of thinking because I'm not always realistic and can sometimes overlook parts of the process, but nonetheless, I like it. It's gotten me through a lot with style that confuses others. And best of all, so far, I've been 100% right! Someday I'll be wrong, but even then, I think I'd like to hit that wall head first.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Ouch! That sounds painful. Did you break anything?

Having goals and a positive ‘can do’ attitude really helps.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I’m starting to think motorcycles might be dangerous....
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

You might be right.

Lawrence of Arabia was killed on one...an Indian Chief.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:32 am
You might be right.

Lawrence of Arabia was killed on one...an Indian Chief.
It *was* a v-twin but a JAP engined Brough Superior. His eighth of which, awaiting delivery when he died on his seventh, is on display in the Imperial War Museum, London. They cost as much as a house, apparently!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brough_Superior

When I was at school you could ride a 250 without any training. In the era of kamikaze 2-strokes like the Yamaha RD250 and Suzuki RG250Gamma, unsurprisingly every class lost at least one lad. :(
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:02 am
Ouch! That sounds painful. Did you break anything?
It was, but not so bad that I couldn't ride 2 hours home on it. I broke my 5th metatarsal, the bone in the outside of your foot. The surgeon must have done a bang-up job cuz it doesn't hurt at all now. I haven't taken any of the dope they gave me. Feels like kind of a waste. The recovery surely won't be anything like what you've been going through and I'm already hating it, so believe me when I say I really feel for you!

It was a dumb accident though. I was trail riding on my DR650 and hit a slick mud puddle while riding lazily as if I were on pavement. The bike slid out and pinned my foot against apparently the only thing on the ground that wasn't mud. I now have as close to ski boots as they make for motorcycles coming in the mail, and a vow to improve my technique. It is stupid easy to get hurt on these things, as my injury illustrates, but as long as I can still do it physically, I'll just put on as much armor as I can and do the best that I can. It's just such a cool way to see the world!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."