Riddle me this!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Pelagic

Riddle me this!

Post by Pelagic »

Got any decent riddles?

SPOILER ALERT: FIRST REPLY HAS ANSWER!

What is weightless, can be seen by the naked eye, and if put in a barrel, it would make the barrel lighter?

DON'T SPOIL THE ANSWERS!! :D
Last edited by Pelagic on Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Frozenspyder

Re: Riddle me this!

Post by Frozenspyder »

Hmm... A hole, perhaps?
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Frozenspyder wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:54 pm
Hmm... A hole, perhaps?
Nicely done!
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

What occurs once in a lifetime, twice in a moment, but never in a century?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Frozenspyder wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:11 pm
The letter "M"?
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Frozenspyder wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:11 pm
That one can really get you thinking for a long time down the wrong path!

It has to he the letter "m".

Edit: Bloke, you ninja!
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

Yep. You guys got it
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Suppose a barn has a sloping roof. One slope faces north and the other faces south. The north slope is 5 degrees less than the south. If a rooster lays an egg at the pinnacle of the roof, will it roll to the north or to the south?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:10 am
Suppose a barn has a sloping roof. One slope faces north and the other faces south. The north slope is 5 degrees less than the south. If a rooster lays an egg at the pinnacle of the roof, will it roll to the north or to the south?
Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :)

Doc, you surely don’t have a rooster that lays eggs ... have yah? :confused:
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

acronym recognition...

ottffssent

?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Ok, I LOVE riddles but my taste is more for the mathematical or physics related. I used to love word problems in math class...go figure. Here’s one that was given to me about 20 years ago. I turned this one around in my head for probably 3 months, chewing on it for a good half an hour a day. I actually remember exactly where I was when I caught scent of the solution. I was hitchhiking back from Puntarenas Costa Rica after a surf trip and was in the back of some Jehovas Witness’s van. Haha. I mentally excused myself from the sermon I was receiving and over the course of that hour long ride finally worked it out. I’ll leave it here for you guys. I’m sure you can google it and find the answer but if you spoil it for yourself please don’t share the solution here. And if you don’t like some serious mental grind, just pass this one over, haha.

* You have 12 hockey pucks. All of the hockey pucks look and feel exactly the same. You have been informed however, that one of the 12 hockey pucks has a different weight than the other 11. The problem is, though you know that one of the 12 is different, you do NOT know whether it is heavier or lighter than the other 11. Your only tool is a set of balance scales. You are allowed to use the scales exactly three times (you can place as few or as many of the pucks as you like for each weighing) and after 3 times you must determine which of the 12 pucks is different AND whether it is heavier or lighter than the others. Hope you have as much fun with this one as I did. Buahahaaha.
Tims

Post by Tims »

Surfingringo wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:28 am
Ok, I LOVE riddles but my taste is more for the mathematical or physics related. I used to love word problems in math class...go figure. Here’s one that was given to me about 20 years ago. I turned this one around in my head for probably 3 months, chewing on it for a good half an hour a day. I actually remember exactly where I was when I caught scent of the solution. I was hitchhiking back from Puntarenas Costa Rica after a surf trip and was in the back of some Jehovas Witness’s van. Haha. I mentally excused myself from the sermon I was receiving and over the course of that hour long ride finally worked it out. I’ll leave it here for you guys. I’m sure you can google it and find the answer but if you spoil it for yourself please don’t share the solution here. And if you don’t like some serious mental grind, just pass this one over, haha.

* You have 12 hockey pucks. All of the hockey pucks look and feel exactly the same. You have been informed however, that one of the 12 hockey pucks has a different weight than the other 11. The problem is, though you know that one of the 12 is different, you do NOT know whether it is heavier or lighter than the other 11. Your only tool is a set of balance scales. You are allowed to use the scales exactly three times (you can place as few or as many of the pucks as you like for each weighing) and after 3 times you must determine which of the 12 pucks is different AND whether it is heavier or lighter than the others. Hope you have as much fun with this one as I did. Buahahaaha.
Man, I wish I’d never read that.

I predict your inbox is going to run hot with “is this the answer?” Pm’s
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It’s not a simple answer.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:43 am
It’s not a simple answer.
No it is not. It’s not even a simple answer to write out even if you know it. It was a good mental exercise though and I’m glad I worked it out without assistance. There was a definite sense of satisfaction when I finally got it.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Ooh-err. You got me hooked on this one.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Lance, I'm glad I made this thread. This one's going to have me thinking.

Would you guys like to do all the answers over private message to the poster before answers are spoiled/revealed?
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Tims wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:29 am
Man, I wish I’d never read that.
You and me both Tim!

I read it around 21:00 last night, got 11x 20c coins and a 10c coin figuring I’d work backwards. I messed around for about half an hour and quit for the night. When I went to bed it’s all I could think about so it actually kept me up for a bit. When I woke up this morning it’s the first thing I thought about. :eek:

Good on yah Gringo! :rolleyes:

I’m confident I’ll work out which one is different but how do you work out if it’s lighter of heavier? :confused:
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Surfingringo wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:28 am

Lance, Just PMed you. Pretty sure i got it. When i first looked at this earlier today scratched my head and no answer. I just sat down now and got it in 5 min.

EDITED TO ADD: I did not get it yet. Oops. :p
Last edited by Enactive on Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I was reminded of this one by Lance's riddle:

You are in a situation where you must get dressed, but have to gather a pair of matching socks from a dresser drawer in a completely dark room --without any additional light.

In the sock drawer are 20 black socks and 20 white socks. What is the smallest number of socks that you can take from the drawer and be sure to have a matching pair when you go out in the light? :cool:

Please do not post any SPOILERS in this thread, thanks!

I also wanted to thank Pelagic for starting a great thread here. This is some good content. Thanks Lance for getting me to bend my mind effectively.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Pelagic wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:56 pm
Lance, I'm glad I made this thread. This one's going to have me thinking.

Would you guys like to do all the answers over private message to the poster before answers are spoiled/revealed?
That works for me. I like the No Spoiler policy, as i requested on my last one.