Riddle me this!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
PStone

Re: Riddle me this!

Post by PStone »

There’s a jungle. In this jungle lives two tribes. One tribe are all lying cannibals. They will NOT truthfully answer any question regardless of what it is. They will lie to you and eat you if they see you. The other tribe are all honest vegetarians. They CANNOT lie no matter what you ask them. They are peaceful will actually protect you from any danger. Got it?

So you’re being chased down a trail in this jungle by a tiger. You then come to a fork. You know at the end of one trail is the cannibal village, the other trail ends at the vegetarian village. But you’ve lost your map and don’t know which one is which. In the middle of the fork is a native from one of the villages. But which village you don’t know. You have time to ask them one question before the tiger reaches you and you die.

What question do you ask them to guarantee you take the correct path and end up in the vegetarian village, and not be eaten by cannibals or the tiger?
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:42 pm
There’s a jungle. In this jungle lives two tribes. One tribe are all lying cannibals. They will NOT truthfully answer any question regardless of what it is. They will lie to you and eat you if they see you. The other tribe are all honest vegetarians. They CANNOT lie no matter what you ask them. They are peaceful will actually protect you from any danger. Got it?

So you’re being chased down a trail in this jungle by a tiger. You then come to a fork. You know at the end of one trail is the cannibal village, the other trail ends at the vegetarian village. But you’ve lost your map and don’t know which one is which. In the middle of the fork is a native from one of the villages. But which village you don’t know. You have time to ask them one question before the tiger reaches you and you die.

What question do you ask them to guarantee you take the correct path and end up in the vegetarian village, and not be eaten by cannibals or the tiger?
That is a good one. Gonna have to think on that.

Also, Dirt, Nice work on your quick and correct response to the "socks in the dark" riddle that you sent me via PM.
PStone

Post by PStone »

There’s a young girl. Age is irrelevant. Her mother unfortunately passes away. While attending the funeral, the girl notices a nice looking boy, but never gets the chance to talk to him. Well a week later that girl kills her sister.

Why did she do it?

I’m sure there are many answers, but only one is correct. I have posed this riddle to many people. Only two people have ever gotten the answer. Both women. Both without even thinking about it.
PStone

Post by PStone »

I have more. This one was told to me by my 11 yo son, and he stumped me.

What is something that tigers have, that no other animal in the world has?
► Show Spoiler
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:00 pm
There’s a young girl. Age is irrelevant. Her mother unfortunately passes away. While attending the funeral, the girl notices a nice looking boy, but never gets the chance to talk to him. Well a week later that girl kills her sister.

Why did she do it?

I’m sure there are many answers, but only one is correct. I have posed this riddle to many people. Only two people have ever gotten the answer. Both women. Both without even thinking about it.
This one stumped me so I had to look it up. Found the answer. Haha. Dark. :p
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Surfingringo wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:37 pm
DirtMcGirt wrote:

Why did she do it?

Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! You’re unreal! :)

You solved a riddle that would’ve stumped Einstein and can’t work out how devious women can be. :confused:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
PStone

Post by PStone »

Surfingringo wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:37 pm

What’s even darker, is how quickly Bloke made #3 on my list of people who have gotten the answer. ;)

And I too also got coins out, and am not giving up on solving which puck is different. If my head doesn’t implode first....
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

My actual train of thought for Lance's riddle.

Weight #1

Weigh 3 vs 3

Scenario 1: If they are even, toss all 6 of them aside.

Scenario 2: If one group of 3 is heavier than the other, mark the heavier group with H and the lighter group with L. Toss the ones you didn't weigh aside. 6 marked pucks remain.

Weight #2

Scenario 1: of the remaining 6 where the culprit resides, weigh 2 vs 2.

Scenario 1a: The 2 are even, toss all 4 of them aside, leaving 2 pucks of different weights.

Scenario 1b: One set of 2 is heavier. Mark the heavier ones with H and the lighter ones with L. Toss the 2 you didn't weight aside. 4 marked pucks remain.

Scenario 2: weigh 2 H's vs 2 L's.

Scenario 2a: the 2 H's are equal in weight to the 2 L's, and you are left with 2 pucks, one being the culprit. One is marked H and the other L.

Scenario 2b: the 2 H's outweigh the 2 L's, and you've only eliminated the 2 you didn't weigh.

Weight #3

Scenario 1a: weigh the last 2 pucks, find that one is heavier than the other, and buy a discontinued Spyderco Sprint run to get your mind off your mental distress because you have no idea if the culprit is heavier or lighter.

Scenario 1b: flip a coin, and either weigh 2 H's or 2 L's. At this point there is a 50% chance you will not only find the culprit but know whether it was heavier or lighter than the rest. You feel like you're getting close, but it's really like Russian Roulette with 3 in the chamber.

Scenario 2a: weigh the puck marked H with another puck marked H you have previously set aside. If it's even, your puck marked L is the culprit and is lighter than the other 11 pucks. If your puck marked H outweighs the other puck marked H, that's the culprit and he's heavier than the other 11 pucks. YAY!

Scenario 2b: Flip a coin and either weigh the H's or the L's. 50% chance of identifying the culprit, 50% chance of robbing a bank and using the money to fly an extremely large group of people to Costa Rica, buy them kayaks, and have them fish daily in all of Lance's favorite spots until the money runs out.

This is insane. I can't imagine thinking about this for more than a few days, good one Lance. I think I give up.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

DirtMcGirt wrote:

Why did she do it?

This one is sick. The researcher says it’s not true...but I’d be careful around those two women! :D :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Pelagic wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:33 pm

Weight #1

Weigh 3 vs 3

Scenario 2: If one group of 3 is heavier than the other, mark the heavier group with H and the lighter group with L. Toss the ones you didn't weigh aside. 6 marked pucks remain.

Weight #2

Scenario 1a: The 2 are even, toss all 4 of them aside, leaving 2 pucks of different weights.

Scenario 1b: One set of 2 is heavier. Mark the heavier ones with H and the lighter ones with L. Toss the 2 you didn't weight aside. 4 marked pucks remain.

Scenario 2a: the 2 H's are equal in weight to the 2 L's, and you are left with 2 pucks, one being the culprit. One is marked H and the other L.

Scenario 2b: the 2 H's outweigh the 2 L's, and you've only eliminated the 2 you didn't weigh.

Weight #3

Scenario 1a: weigh the last 2 pucks, find that one is heavier than the other, and buy a discontinued Spyderco Sprint run to get your mind off your mental distress because you have no idea if the culprit is heavier or lighter.

Scenario 1b: flip a coin, and either weigh 2 H's or 2 L's. At this point there is a 50% chance you will not only find the culprit but know whether it was heavier or lighter than the rest. You feel like you're getting close, but it's really like Russian Roulette with 3 in the chamber.

Scenario 2a: weigh the puck marked H with another puck marked H you have previously set aside. If it's even, your puck marked L is the culprit and is lighter than the other 11 pucks. If your puck marked H outweighs the other puck marked H, that's the culprit and he's heavier than the other 11 pucks. YAY!

Scenario 2b: Flip a coin and either weigh the H's or the L's. 50% chance of identifying the culprit, 50% chance of robbing a bank and using the money to fly an extremely large group of people to Costa Rica, buy them kayaks, and have them fish daily in all of Lance's favorite spots until the money runs out.

This is insane. I can't imagine thinking about this for more than a few days, good one Lance. I think I give up.
Hah! I was awake at 5am thinking on this one.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

DirtMcGirt wrote:

Why did she do it?

I may have been watching too much “House”, but does it involve a rare genetic disorder, twins, a complicated surgical procedure and another series?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Pelagic wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:33 pm

Weight #1

Weigh 3 vs 3

Weight #2

Weight #3

There is some solid reasoning in here and several of you are on the right line of thinking but I assure you, there is a way to tell definitively which puck is the different and whether it is heavier or lighter every time. There is no “trick” to this one...just reasoning and logic. Pack a lunch though. :)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I’m glad I was told this one before I had all of life’s answers at my fingertips in a telephone. I can be impatient and if I were told today I might not have taken the time to work it out for myself. That would have been a shame because that was a such a sweet satisfaction that I still think of it nearly 20 years later. If this one is remotely interesting to you, I implore you to resist the urge to look up the answer. I haven’t checked but I’m sure one could find it. This is very “doable”, it’s just a long mental grind. Keep tossing it around over the next week or two from different angles. You might surprise yourself. When you think you have it, get a dozen coins and mark one with a marker. Make sure that your formula will work no matter where that coin is in the group and you’ll know you’ve got the correct answer. I also find it helps to have some tangible objects to shift around.
PStone

Post by PStone »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:42 am

I may have been watching too much “House”, but does it involve a rare genetic disorder, twins, a complicated surgical procedure and another series?
Hahaha! I really really wish it did! Would love to hear that answer.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:53 pm

This one is sick. The researcher says it’s not true...but I’d be careful around those two women! :D :D
Well..uh...I’m married to one of them.... :eek: :eek:

But yes, I heard this back in the late 90s, and it has since been debunked as not true. Still a fun riddle for coworkers and friends though.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:36 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:53 pm

Well..uh...I’m married to one of them.... :eek: :eek:

But yes, I heard this back in the late 90s, and it has since been debunked as not true. Still a fun riddle for coworkers and friends though.
Yeah, I got a kick out of it. :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

DirtMcGirt wrote:

I'd take my chances with the tiger.. seems entirely preferable to spending time in a village full of honest vegetarians.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

DSH007 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:11 am
DirtMcGirt wrote:

I'd take my chances with the tiger.. seems entirely preferable to spending time in a village full of honest vegetarians.
Lol! This should be in the jokes thread!!!
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Surfingringo wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:28 am
You have 12 hockey pucks. All of the hockey pucks look and feel exactly the same. You have been informed however, that one of the 12 hockey pucks has a different weight than the other 11. The problem is, though you know that one of the 12 is different, you do NOT know whether it is heavier or lighter than the other 11. Your only tool is a set of balance scales. You are allowed to use the scales exactly three times (you can place as few or as many of the pucks as you like for each weighing) and after 3 times you must determine which of the 12 pucks is different AND whether it is heavier or lighter than the others. Hope you have as much fun with this one as I did. Buahahaaha.
This is really easy to solve.
DirtMcGirt wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:44 pm
And I too also got coins out, and am not giving up on solving which puck is different. If my head doesn’t implode first....
Took me like 30sec to figure it out.

The ones that I cannot get are
DirtMcGirt wrote:

Why did she do it?

and the one about the two tribes.... what the heck?
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:27 pm
Surfingringo wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:28 am
You have 12 hockey pucks. All of the hockey pucks look and feel exactly the same. You have been informed however, that one of the 12 hockey pucks has a different weight than the other 11. The problem is, though you know that one of the 12 is different, you do NOT know whether it is heavier or lighter than the other 11. Your only tool is a set of balance scales. You are allowed to use the scales exactly three times (you can place as few or as many of the pucks as you like for each weighing) and after 3 times you must determine which of the 12 pucks is different AND whether it is heavier or lighter than the others. Hope you have as much fun with this one as I did. Buahahaaha.
This is really easy to solve.
DirtMcGirt wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:44 pm
Took me like 30sec to figure it out.

You got that one in 30 seconds? Sir, if that is true you possess an elite intellect. I’d be interested to hear your method if you want to pm me.