Riddle me this!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
z4vdBt

Re: Riddle me this!

Post by z4vdBt »

z4vdBt wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:40 am
acronym recognition...

ottffssent

?
one two three...
PStone

Post by PStone »

z4vdBt wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:11 am
z4vdBt wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:40 am
acronym recognition...

ottffssent

?
one two three...
That was a good one.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I was given the hockey puck problem by my Dad when I was 12, figured it out 4 years later. There is more than one method, but they arrive at the same destination. He used cue balls instead of hockey pucks.
After I figured it out, I gave it to a few friends, of which only one figured it out.... in 2 days. Made me feel pretty dumb at the time.

The Monty Hall problem is strictly a matter of odds.
Monty

Post by Monty »

It took me a while but I think I figured out the hockey puck riddle.

Wife walked in while I was scribbling on the notepad, I explained the riddle. She said, "I'd just hold them in each hand and judge the weights, don't need the scale." Beaten again.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Monty wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:01 pm
It took me a while but I think I figured out the hockey puck riddle.

Wife walked in while I was scribbling on the notepad, I explained the riddle. She said, "I'd just hold them in each hand and judge the weights, don't need the scale." Beaten again.
Shoot me a pm if you want to know. :spyder:
tangent

Post by tangent »

bgcameron wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:56 pm
Oooh I love these. My favourite one is the Monty Hall problem:

Suppose you're on a game show, and you're given the choice of three doors: Behind one door is a car; behind the others, goats. You pick a door, say No. 1, and the host, who knows what's behind the doors, opens another door, say No. 3, which has a goat. He then says to you, "Do you want to pick door No. 2?" Is it to your advantage to switch your choice?
Simple answer: Yes, always switch your choice...you'll be right 2/3 of the time. Trust me...I'm a math prof.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

tangent wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:34 pm
bgcameron wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:56 pm
Oooh I love these. My favourite one is the Monty Hall problem:

Suppose you're on a game show, and you're given the choice of three doors: Behind one door is a car; behind the others, goats. You pick a door, say No. 1, and the host, who knows what's behind the doors, opens another door, say No. 3, which has a goat. He then says to you, "Do you want to pick door No. 2?" Is it to your advantage to switch your choice?
Simple answer: Yes, always switch your choice...you'll be right 2/3 of the time. Trust me...I'm a math prof.
That’s correct but I find the problem interesting in its subtleties. It’s also interesting to consider both why it makes sense to switch and why it is confusing.

Ultimately, the additional information changes the statistics. For example, were I playing the game I would have a 66% chance of winning if I switched my answer and a 33% chance if I stuck with my original choice. If another contestant came along AFTER one of the three doors was eliminated and was presented the same two choices then he would have a 50/50 chance. The extra information i received changed the odds.
tangent

Post by tangent »

Yeah...I agree. It's an interesting problem. What information you have and WHEN you have it is important.
BTW, Your hockey puck problem is super interesting...and challenging. I know we have to start by weighing 4 pucks vs 4 pucks...and then go from there. Anyway...
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

If it's between doors 1 and 2, you have a 50% chance regardless. What am I missing?

Just like if you flip a coin 10 times and get heads every time. The probability of getting heads on the 11th toss is still 50%.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Pelagic wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:35 am
If it's between doors 1 and 2, you have a 50% chance regardless. What am I missing?

Just like if you flip a coin 10 times and get heads every time. The probability of getting heads on the 11th toss is still 50%.
Explained 2 posts above yours.
tangent

Post by tangent »

Pelagic wrote:

When you choose a door initially, you have a 1/3 chance of selecting the winning door. Once a losing door (of the other two) has been eliminated, when you change your choice to the remaining door, you have in essence selected both doors...giving you a 2/3 chance of selecting the winning door.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

tangent wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:43 am
Pelagic wrote:

When you choose a door initially, you have a 1/3 chance of selecting the winning door. Once a losing door (of the other two) has been eliminated, when you change your choice to the remaining door, you have in essence selected both doors...giving you a 2/3 chance of selecting the winning door.
With only 2 doors remaining, how is there a 2/3 chance of anything?
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
tangent

Post by tangent »

Pelagic wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:04 am
tangent wrote:
Pelagic wrote:

The only way to make you a believer is to ask you to do a simulation...label three red plastic cups (non-see-through) with numbers 1,2 and 3. Have someone place an object under one of the cups (without you looking). Then, you select a cup (without revealing what is or is not under it). Then, the person who knows where the object lies reveals that under one of the remaining cups there is no prize and asks you if you want to switch. Switch your choice and record the results (whether you have won or not). Repeat this 100 times and I guarantee you will select the winning cup around 66% of the time. ;)
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

tangent wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:34 am
Pelagic wrote:
tangent wrote:
Pelagic wrote:

The only way to make you a believer is to ask you to do a simulation...label three red plastic cups (non-see-through) with numbers 1,2 and 3. Have someone place an object under one of the cups (without you looking). Then, you select a cup (without revealing what is or is not under it). Then, the person who knows where the object lies reveals that under one of the remaining cups there is no prize and asks you if you want to switch. Switch your choice and record the results (whether you have won or not). Repeat this 100 times and I guarantee you will select the winning cup around 66% of the time. ;)
So you're saying the person's knowledge of the location of the prize influences statistics?
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

(Might get in a wee bit o' trouble with this one.... :eek: )

What's the difference between the Panama Canal and Nancy Pelosi??

...One is a Busy Ditch... :p

If this offends, my friends, I'll delete it.
It's Humor Folks!! :D :D :D

:spyder: :spyder: Stay Sharp --
-- SB / BRUCE :) :)
tangent

Post by tangent »

Pelagic wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:57 am
tangent wrote:
Pelagic wrote:
tangent wrote:

So you're saying the person's knowledge of the location of the prize influences statistics?
It's counter-intuitive and hard to explain via messages like this, but I assure you it's correct.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

tangent wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:56 pm
Pelagic wrote:
tangent wrote:
Pelagic wrote:

It's counter-intuitive and hard to explain via messages like this, but I assure you it's correct.
I'm just trying to wrap my head around it. I know riddles and answers aren't about being 100% mathematically or statistically correct, but correct in their own unique and clever way.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

...Rolling the Bones, could go either way...;)

What's the difference between a cornhusker with epilepsy, and a prostitute with diahhereah?

One shucks between fits... :eek:

:spyder: :spyder: SB / BRUCE :p :p
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Pelagic wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:11 pm
tangent wrote:
Pelagic wrote:
tangent wrote:

I'm just trying to wrap my head around it. I know riddles and answers aren't about being 100% mathematically or statistically correct, but correct in their own unique and clever way.
This is what makes this such a beautiful little riddle. It is indeed 100% mathematically sound. It’s not an overly complicated concept either but it’s one of those scenarios where once the mind conceptualizes something a certain way, it is very difficult to switch the way you see it. This mental illusion is the very essence of a good riddle and why I like this one so much. Let me give you a similar problem and see if this helps.

Let’s say you are on a similar show but there are 50 doors instead of 3. Only one one of them has a prize and the host knows which. You select 1 door. What are the chances that you will win the prize? 1 in 50. Before receiving any other information, if you were able to switch from your 1 door to the other 49 would you do it? Of course you would, because then you would have a 49 out of 50 chance instead of 1 out of 50. The point is, even if the host (remember, he knows where the prize is) eliminates 48 of those 49 doors, you still have the opportunity to choose the set of 49 doors over your 1. It doens’t matter that the guy who knew where the prize was revealed 48 doors that didn’t have the prize. You can trade your door for the 49...before or after he does his thing, it doesn’t matter. Just like in the original problem you can trade your 1-3 chance for the 2-3 chance of the other two doors. Before or after the host has revealed anything, doesn’t matter.

I’m sure it’s clear now, but here’s one other way to think of it. The “trick” is that once one of the doors is Revealed, it looks as if we are given the option of switching one door for the other. This is the illusion. What we are really being given is a chance to switch one door for two.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Surfingringo wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:02 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:11 pm
tangent wrote:
Pelagic wrote:

This is what makes this such a beautiful little riddle. It is indeed 100% mathematically sound. It’s not an overly complicated concept either but it’s one of those scenarios where once the mind conceptualizes something a certain way, it is very difficult to switch the way you see it. This mental illusion is the very essence of a good riddle and why I like this one so much. Let me give you a similar problem and see if this helps.

Let’s say you are on a similar show but there are 50 doors instead of 3. Only one one of them has a prize and the host knows which. You select 1 door. What are the chances that you will win the prize? 1 in 50. Before receiving any other information, if you were able to switch from your 1 door to the other 49 would you do it? Of course you would, because then you would have a 49 out of 50 chance instead of 1 out of 50. The point is, even if the host (remember, he knows where the prize is) eliminates 48 of those 49 doors, you still have the opportunity to choose the set of 49 doors over your 1. It doens’t matter that the guy who knew where the prize was revealed 48 doors that didn’t have the prize. You can trade your door for the 49...before or after he does his thing, it doesn’t matter. Just like in the original problem you can trade your 1-3 chance for the 2-3 chance of the other two doors. Before or after the host has revealed anything, doesn’t matter.

I’m sure it’s clear now, but here’s one other way to think of it. The “trick” is that once one of the doors is Revealed, it looks as if we are given the option of switching one door for the other. This is the illusion. What we are really being given is a chance to switch one door for two.
That specific scenario is clear, but not the 3 door situation. Once a door is eliminated, it's eliminated. There are 2 remaining doors, yet chances of 1/3 and 2/3? I have given up completely on that and frankly am not very interested in understanding it.

The 50 door example did highlight a separate concept I wasn't noticing though, which is cool. I appreciate you taking the time to demonstrate that.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?