Kudos to the US Postal Service!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Deacon

Kudos to the US Postal Service!

Post by The Deacon »

Seems like the only time anyone posts a thread about the Post Office is when something gets lost or damaged. OTOH, I've always considered their service excellent, and yesterday was no exception. Couple weeks back, I ordered a small part for my Mercedes SLK350 from the eBay listing of outfit in Germany. They shipped promptly, apparently giving it to DHL who handed it off to Deutsche Post who sent it to the USA. It got processed in NY. That was predictable given most mail from EU goes through US Customs there. However, what happened next was another matter, it got routed to a town in PA by the name of Chadds Ford. Why, you ask. Simple, either the sender or DHL screwed up the label royally. Instead of

Name
House Number and Street
Greenville, SC ZIP+4
USA

or at least all that information in a European format, it read:

Name
Street and House Number
Chadds Ford's Zip Code Greenville
United States

Panicked a bit when the tracking showed it being "Undeliverable as addressed - returned to sender" on Tuesday. But, instead of sending it back to Germany, someone in the Postal System took the time to puzzle out my actual state and ZIP and it arrived yesterday. Now granted, given that there's at least one Greenville in each of 34 states, things might have turned out differently if both my last name and my street's name had been more common ones, but it still had to take a decent bit of sleuthing on someone's part. So Kudos to the USPS.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
MacLaren

Re: Kudos to the US Postal Service!

Post by MacLaren »

That's great Paul.
I'm glad they took the time to figure it out.
I've never had anything but great service from USPS
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I send out a lot of mail through my work.. I've seen a lot of letters/paychecks/christmas cards, etc. go undelivered due to ineptitude or laziness on their part.. although given the extremely high percentage of mail that makes it through without issue, I can't really knock them for it. Mistakes happen and they mostly do a great job.

And.. credit where it is due.. I've never not received a knife that was sent to me via USPS! :)

I much prefer the USPS to their big brown competitors..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Awesome!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Great to hear, Paul!

I like the U.S. Postal Service.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Nice when things like that work out in the end. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"