Is that knife really that important?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Is that knife really that important?

Post by Doc Dan »

There are so many exclusives and So many sprint runs and other things coming out. That’s a good thing in general. Sometimes I feel that being on these forms there is a subtle or maybe not so subtle pressure to buy every new thing, every new knife, every new steel, every new exclusive that comes out. But It can add up to a lot of money. Is it really that important to have everything that comes out?

There are a lot of these exclusive’s that I would dearly love to have but I simply have to just grit my teeth and not buy them. Though I love collecting and that’s not likely to change, I have to be more selective in what I buy. For example I would love to have that new Saint Nick knives Lil Native but I think I’ll try to pass on that because It will not do anything more than mine standard model will. I think for a little while but I will try to put some money towards making my wife happy.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Re: Is that knife really that important?

Post by ChrisinHove »

You’re a wise man, Doc.

For myself I can see there is a difference between the enjoyment of owning an item, and the joy that item itself brings. The latter is nowadays far more important to me, so that owning various iterations of the same knife adds little extra interest. That’s what I keep telling myself, anyway.

Besides, the Mrs is a one-off, and there’s an endless supply of new knives.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Not even slightly.

I’ve got more knives than I could ever use and I feel quite fortunate in the fact that I don’t like many models on offer at all. I’ll buy new Militaries as they become available and I would have done the same with the Stretch had it not been disco balled.

I am however looking forward to the Province and will certainly buy one after it’s released and reviews are positive. I’ve been dancing around a Bradley Bowie for a while too but I’m a little undecided for now at least but reckon I’ll pick one up sooner or later. :)
Last edited by Bloke on Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Have tried to not store knives in boxes anymore. I loose the connection to having them when they are packed in boxes.
Put 5 knives I use commonly in a bowl a few weeks ago and it was like Christmas as 2 I had never used.

Is hard to resist, I have one in a cart at Knifecenter as we speak :confused:
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I can only afford a new knife if i sell an old one. I have found over the years that trying to chase every new shiny thing is futile. I am down to only 3 spyderco folders and i really like it that way. Plus I just got into victorinox which is a much cheaper hobby and I have reached my limit on those as well. For my uses there is nothing that st nicks lil native will do better than the Lil Native I already own and have carried since its release date.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Oh I remember that feeling. I got caught up in the sprint peer pressure early on when I joined. I've passed up more than I remember. I can't use them all and I don't collect so it's fun for those who do but I'm content. I just focus on the ones I can't live without and there really aren't many of those.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I’ve definitely slowed down on my collecting. I’ve always tried to avoid having duplicates, not just exact duplicates but more than one of the same knife. The only exception has been for a Cruwear PM2 and the Cruwear Delica that’s on its way. (One other actually, had to pick up a pair of matching Tenacious’ to take advantage of a shipping offer which essentially made the second one free. One still sits in a box waiting to be gifted). Same thing with my traditional knives, always try for a new pattern or blade combo.
I’ve seen a ton of exclusives or sprints or even interesting models that I’ve convinced myself I don’t need. Sometimes they make it easier for me by not having a left carry option! Other times like the 4v lil’ Native they put the black coating on them so that makes it easier too.
Another thing that helps is I’ve found “the” knife for me in the Smock. I still carry others now and again but the Smock is just so perfect. The only thing that could make it better is a Cruwear sprint!
I don’t think I could reduce my collection to just 3!?! I’ve considered selling some a few times but talk myself out of it by telling myself I need to pass them on to my kids, my nephew and soon to arrive niece. Not to mention all the potential grandkids etc.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
James Y

Post by James Y »

I don't purchase many knives anymore. My system is, if there is a knife I find myself wanting, I'll wait at least a month or two before pulling the trigger. Using that system, 95% of the time I end up not buying it. I find I don't really want it as much as I thought I did. This has saved me a lot of money.

I feel no pressure to buy sprints or exclusives, or every variant. The only one I've ever purchased is an S35VN, DLC-coated PM2. I really like it and use it, but I don't plan on buying any more exclusives. About 15-20 years ago, I had to buy a new knife or two every month. Those days are long gone. Many years ago, I learned that the enjoyment of owning a knife (for me) is the enjoyment I get from "bonding" with it by carrying and using it. More often than not, that involves standard models.

SAKs are another knife-related passion of mine. I own many, but the only ones I actually carry and use on a regular basis are the Executive, Spartan, and sometimes the Pioneer instead of the Spartan. Those three.

It really helps to have multiple interests. I have many interests outside of knives. o e is less apt to become OCD about accumulating every variant of every model you like.

Jim
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

SAKs are wonderful tools. I have a number of the. I love the Pioneer X, but hope for a Cadet X.

I will still give my opinion on the various knives are coming out. I don’t feel I have to buy everyone that comes out. However I do collect and use knives especially Spydercos and enjoy it. It is a hobby that gives me a lot of pleasure. I won’t stop collecting but I also have to be discerning about buying. So for example, an a little naïve with red and the LC I will pass on though it is very cool because the Steel is not my favorite and the lock is not my favorite and again my standard model does everything that one will. If this had been a K390 that would’ve been a different story altogether since I love that steel or if it had been Elmax.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I've been guilty of buying everything that I thought I had to have (new models, sprints, exclusives, etc). Now that I've found another hobby that's taking up my fun money I've changed my outlook on buying more knives. I already have way more than what's practical (for me). In fact I need to start looking hard at moving a few more. My knife buying has slowed considerably but I did just buy the Cruwear Delica and I'll be getting the St Nick's Lil' Native. I certainly don't need them but they're two that I'd like to have. Unless something drops or there's something on the discontinued list that I absolutely have to have I probably won't be buying too many more this year.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

I usually wait and think about it for a while before buying a new knife. Sometimes it means I miss a Sprint that I decided I wanted, but that means I get the adventure of trying to find one after they're sold out. A knife means a lot more if you've decided you really need it and you've looked for it everywhere before finally getting one. One knife that will never leave my collection is an S30V Delica 4 that I got from another forum member.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I've got this awful collector's mindset. Always wanting two of everything, the complete sets, etc. I got sucked down that rabbit hole with Spyderco. I've got like 5 different delicas, two enduras, 3 pm2s, and all of the blurple s110v models. Even worse is my GEC collecting. There Ive got two of every pattern I own-- one for use and one for the collection.

I've calmed down now. There's one more fixed blade I want to get and will order Friday but after that I'm going to be avoiding getting tempted.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

What little money I have goes in to martial arts training, in person and through video(live streamed and DVD).

I missed the CF S90V Shaman release...no cash at the time. Going for the 4V, Ankerson Bowie. I want them both very badly, but the funds were just not there.

100% of the knives that I want go on a list, and there must be 50 that are must haves out of the 200+ on the list. As long as they are all available when I land my next gig, I'll end up with at least 50 more knives in the 3.5 to 5.5 inch blade territory.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, any time I've bought a knife on impulse, I've ended up regretting the purchase. And, more often than not, I'll end up selling it for a loss. I kinda follow Jim's method, and I'll wait a bit before making the purchase. If, after a few weeks or a month, the knife is still in stock and I still want it, there aren't any other large expenses looming on the horizon, and I still have money in my PayPal account, then I might buy it.

Another aspect that's keeping me from spending money, is I have very specific attributes I look for in a knife, and right now it's hard to find a Spyderco that has all of those.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Sober_Survival

Post by Sober_Survival »

I've never felt "pressured" to buy any certain knife. However, I enjoy collecting Spydies and at 42 years old & the owner of a small business, I am able to buy any of them that I'd like. I'd hope that no one is spending their bill money or rent on knives they don't need and or can't afford.
There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. John 15.13