Oxycodone warning

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
GiftedMisfit

Re: Oxycodone warning

Post by GiftedMisfit »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:46 am
GiftedMisfit wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:31 am
I'm an addict. I've been in recovery for 1.3 years now.

Oxycodone, oxycontin, fentanyl. Whatever I could get that would suffice. I would use. I lost my job, almost lost my wife and kids. You'll do just about anything to get them once they've 'got' you. I was addicted for 8 years.

My wife stuck with me and is the rock in my life. She is so much stronger than I'am. Been sober since may of last year, because of her.

I happened to find spyderco when I needed something to focus on. So from the bottom of this broke heart - Thank you Spyderco.
Good for you. These drugs can be really bad and I think many times the doctors are so busy that they don’t take time to notice what’s going on with their patients. And they don’t take time to see that somebody might be struggling with the medicine and that person ends up becoming dependent and then addicted. I’m glad that your wife was there with you through the journey. She must be very special because I can tell you from watching other peoples lives that many would have abandoned the effort and left you. I hope you treasure her always.

Thanks Doc. It's been a journey I wouldn't wish on an enemy. Its rough, a lot of sleepless nights. My wife is my angel. She watches over me, shes given me 2 beautiful children, worked a full time job and dealt with my ****. I could never repay her for what shes done for me. What shes done to me. I don't know what I did in a past life to deserve such a wonderful woman. I'm a lucky man. I had to figure that out the hard way.

I found spyderco knives (again) when I needed something to really bite into, to focus on. Enter the Kapara. Hence why I post so many pics of it. The redback literally and figuratively bit this guy.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

GiftedMisfit wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:55 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:46 am
GiftedMisfit wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:31 am
I'm an addict. I've been in recovery for 1.3 years now.

Oxycodone, oxycontin, fentanyl. Whatever I could get that would suffice. I would use. I lost my job, almost lost my wife and kids. You'll do just about anything to get them once they've 'got' you. I was addicted for 8 years.

My wife stuck with me and is the rock in my life. She is so much stronger than I'am. Been sober since may of last year, because of her.

I happened to find spyderco when I needed something to focus on. So from the bottom of this broke heart - Thank you Spyderco.
Good for you. These drugs can be really bad and I think many times the doctors are so busy that they don’t take time to notice what’s going on with their patients. And they don’t take time to see that somebody might be struggling with the medicine and that person ends up becoming dependent and then addicted. I’m glad that your wife was there with you through the journey. She must be very special because I can tell you from watching other peoples lives that many would have abandoned the effort and left you. I hope you treasure her always.

Thanks Doc. It's been a journey I wouldn't wish on an enemy. Its rough, a lot of sleepless nights. My wife is my angel. She watches over me, shes given me 2 beautiful children, worked a full time job and dealt with my ****. I could never repay her for what shes done for me. What shes done to me. I don't know what I did in a past life to deserve such a wonderful woman. I'm a lucky man. I had to figure that out the hard way.

I found spyderco knives (again) when I needed something to really bite into, to focus on. Enter the Kapara. Hence why I post so many pics of it. The redback literally and figuratively bit this guy.
It's really a super twisted irony when you put it all in perspective. Here in the past two to three years there has been so much negative publicity about CBC Oil and all other Marijuana products>> and in this instance I'm mainly speaking of the potential of using it as a medication and not to get high on. Because this drug that Doc has brought up i.e. "Oxycodone" has has so much bad publicity that you would think it would have been jerked off the market. But in perspective the real underlying problems are "misuse", illegal street use, and people just flat out not following the directions the doctor gave them.
I don't use marijuana>> I did use it some way back in my high school days for a short time but that's been decades ago. So I don't have a dog in the fight at all. But I do find it extremely ironic that they make such a big deal about a drug that I've yet to hear of a documented overdose>> but with "oxycodone" and other pain killers associated with it according to the main stream news media have been documented to kill several people daily here in the USA do to misuse and overdoses as well as interactions with other drugs.
My point being this>> if cannibis ( marijuana) truly does have any redeeming medical uses then I can't for the life of me understand why they can't at least try it for pain relief.
Another case of "Follow The Money Trail".

With the baby-boomer generation getting to the age where surgeries, arthritis, joint replacements or people who have suffered injuries that put them in chronic pain on a permanent basis there just isn't any easy solutions to this at all from what I can determine. With all that being said many people in that paradigm are just "damned if you do & damned if you don't">> and the doctors who truly do want to help people in their heart of hearts are in the biggest quandary of anyone in the entire scenario it seems :confused: :(

Why hasn't there been any serious research into possible non-narcotic pain killers>> again another "Follow The Money Trail" scenario.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Why hasn't there been any serious research into possible non-narcotic pain killers>> again another "Follow The Money Trail" scenario.
There has been a huge amount of money spent researching just this. I'm not just talking about synthetic narcotics such as Fentanyl either. Part of it is how our body works. Whip up a med to turn on the pain relief process and you have essentially just made a drug that has the same addiction potential as real extracts of opium.

Ultram was one that was released as a non scheduled ( like an antibiotic or blood pressure med, it needs prescription but isn't as restricted as codeine, Oxycontin, etc.) and was given out as free samples in doctors offices the same way as blood pressure meds can be. After a few years they found need to change that because it was causing dependency issues just like the real opiates. Now it is like getting the meds it was supposed to phase out.

If they ever find one that works without the problems associated with narcotics they will have a key to the US mint and the ability to print out trillions of dollars. If it was easy though it would have been done. I hope they eventually find something that isn't dangerous and addictive but I honestly don't think that is possible.
Sober_Survival

Post by Sober_Survival »

In Florida, it's an epidemic. Everyone is either on pills or Suboxone. Evil ****.
There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. John 15.13
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sober_Survival wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:08 pm
In Florida, it's an epidemic. Everyone is either on pills or Suboxone. Evil ****.
This is really interesting too. Because there is a young lady where I was recently working that was taking that "Suboxone" to get her off of pain meds. She claimed it worked like a miracle drug for her to get off the stuff she was hooked on >> however I've also heard some horror stories on it too.

I'm wondering if Doctors really know the overall problems that can be potentially caused by some of these meds they write prescriptions for. The pharmacists seem to know a great deal more than the doctors do in many cases with the medications themselves. It seems like there is just a lot of people here in the USA having problems with either pain killers or head meds as I like to call them>> speaking of anti-depressants and anti-anxiety drugs.

I find in many cases that some of your better pharmacists know far more about the meds than many of the doctors do. One thing is for sure>> most doctors have no idea how expensive most of these meds cost the patients. That girl told me that Suboxone was costing somewhere between $400 to $600 for each dosage :eek: It really doesn't seem like they are on the same page at all in most cases.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:45 pm
Sober_Survival wrote:
This is really interesting too. Because there is a young lady where I was recently working that was taking that "Suboxone" to get her off of pain meds. She claimed it worked like a miracle drug for her to get off the stuff she was hooked on >> however I've also heard some horror stories on it too.

I'm wondering if Doctors really know the overall problems that can be potentially caused by some of these meds they write prescriptions for. The pharmacists seem to know a great deal more than the doctors do in many cases with the medications themselves. It seems like there is just a lot of people here in the USA having problems with either pain killers or head meds as I like to call them>> speaking of anti-depressants and anti-anxiety drugs.

I find in many cases that some of your better pharmacists know far more about the meds than many of the doctors do. One thing is for sure>> most doctors have no idea how expensive most of these meds cost the patients. That girl told me that Suboxone was costing somewhere between $400 to $600 for each dosage :eek: It really doesn't seem like they are on the same page at all in most cases.
Here is where I would agree that this is a case of pharmaceutical greed.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sober_Survival

Post by Sober_Survival »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:45 pm
Sober_Survival wrote:
That girl told me that Suboxone was costing somewhere between $400 to $600 for each dosage :eek: It really doesn't seem like they are on the same page at all in most cases.
She probably meant a month. Its about $400-600 month without insurance.
There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. John 15.13
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

It wasnt just misusing oxycodone.
The biggest part was that the maker, Perdue Pharma LIED about how addictive it was to begin with!
Purdue Pharma was eventually sued and forced to pay out 600 million?
I cant quite remember, but they did loose in court.
Also, at the time there was a lot of confusion as to what was really what. Some thought percocet and oxycontin were 2 different things. They are not. They are one in the same.
The only difference is Oxycontin being full 100% oxycodone, but in a time released pill. And, percocet being a lower dosage with acetaminophen.
As mentioned before though, THE BIG KILL was Perdue Pharma, the maker of Oxycontin-Percocet LYING about how addictive it was to begin with.
So, you have doctors freely prescribing this stuff, and come to find out, its DEVASTATINGLY addictive.
My wife is a Pharmacist and, she tells me that Cii & Ciii drugs are pretty much all she and other pharmacists dispense. Meaning they are right at the top of any Pharmacys business.
I always hear her say on Fridays, " oh no, its Cii Friday".....
The Government may have cracked down, but one really cant tell yet. Not by the amount of scripts still prescribed anyways.

I will say this however, it does seem that the suboxone has saved a many of lives. There are many people using it with great results.
However, it can be abused too, just like anything else.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:16 am
I don't use marijuana
Imageh
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Suboxone at least contains an opiate agonist (naloxone - which I believe is a derivative of oxymorphone, the strongest morphine derivative) which prevents people from abusing other opiates while using suboxone. For most people, mixing suboxone with other opiates causes withdrawal effects due to the presence of naloxone. But unfortunately, there is also Subutex, which is pure buprenorphine (the main narcotic in Suboxone), which does not do this and can be abused to a greater extent.
Last edited by Pelagic on Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MacLaren wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:44 am
It wasnt just misusing oxycodone.
The biggest part was that the maker, Perdue Pharma LIED about how addictive it was to begin with!
Purdue Pharma was eventually sued and forced to pay out 600 million?
I cant quite remember, but they did loose in court.
Also, at the time there was a lot of confusion as to what was really what. Some thought percocet and oxycontin were 2 different things. They are not. They are one in the same.
The only difference is Oxycontin being full 100% oxycodone, but in a time released pill. And, percocet being a lower dosage with acetaminophen.
As mentioned before though, THE BIG KILL was Perdue Pharma, the maker of Oxycontin-Percocet LYING about how addictive it was to begin with.
So, you have doctors freely prescribing this stuff, and come to find out, its DEVASTATINGLY addictive.
My wife is a Pharmacist and, she tells me that Cii & Ciii drugs are pretty much all she and other pharmacists dispense. Meaning they are right at the top of any Pharmacys business.
I always hear her say on Fridays, " oh no, its Cii Friday".....
The Government may have cracked down, but one really cant tell yet. Not by the amount of scripts still prescribed anyways.

I will say this however, it does seem that the suboxone has saved a many of lives. There are many people using it with great results.
However, it can be abused too, just like anything else.

Kinda like when they used to use Cocaine and Heroin, both as we all know are extremely addictive.

OXY was/is the new problem....
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

With all the talk about Doctors just giving the stuff away and over prescribing It makes me wonder why they never gave that oxy stuff to me after my surgeries. I've read so much about the "epidemic" but I've never even seen the stuff aside from on TV. I think when lawyers and politicians as well as the media are involved a heck of a lot of exaggeration is to be expected.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The Mastiff wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:12 pm
With all the talk about Doctors just giving the stuff away and over prescribing It makes me wonder why they never gave that oxy stuff to me after my surgeries. I've read so much about the "epidemic" but I've never even seen the stuff aside from on TV. I think when lawyers and politicians as well as the media are involved a heck of a lot of exaggeration is to be expected.
There is a LOT of exaggeration, as usual. There is a real problem. We should not ignore it but we should not go to the extremes that these politicians want to take us. We really don’t have any good pain relievers that are not opioids. Someone in my condition for example, it would have been in tolerable without the oxycodone. I do know that in the US many doctors were cold tramadol was a safe alternative. Turns out tramadol was the most dangerous. I think better medicine needs to be developed rather than withholding medicine from people who really need it
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:52 pm
The Mastiff wrote:
. We really don’t have any good pain relievers that are not opioids. Someone in my condition for example, it would have been in tolerable without the oxycodone.
Doc you bring me back to one of the first points I tried to make. With all the sophistication and genius that these pharmaceutical labs supposedly have then why on GOD's blue planet don't they try to come up with some type of "non-narcotic" pain relievers??? :confused: You would think that with high tech stuff like "artificial intelligence" and all of the DNA science that they brag about It would seem to me that all they really need to do is to find out how the opioids affect the brain and central nervous system and replicate it.

Or is it this scenario??>>>> maybe on the other hand they aren't as smart as they want us to think they are :rolleyes: Or maybe it's just simply another "follow the money trail" scenario.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Doc Dan wrote:
The Mastiff wrote:
There is a LOT of exaggeration, as usual. There is a real problem. We should not ignore it but we should not go to the extremes that these politicians want to take us. We really don’t have any good pain relievers that are not opioids. Someone in my condition for example, it would have been in tolerable without the oxycodone. I do know that in the US many doctors were cold tramadol was a safe alternative. Turns out tramadol was the most dangerous. I think better medicine needs to be developed rather than withholding medicine from people who really need it
Tramadol the most dangerous?
Talk about exaggerating!!
My God man, you think Tramadol is more dangerous than either oxycodone or fentanyl?
Sure, tramadol can be abused. But, its a far, far, **** cry nearly as powerful or dangerous as oxycodone.

And, Joe what did your doctor give you after surgery?
Vicodin? Tylenol 3 w/codeine?
What type surgery were they?
Honestly, you should be thankful they didnt send ya home with a bottle of percocet.
Ya know, bottom line, anything can be abused.
As for doctors prescribing oxycodone, there have been a lot of doctors blackballed by Pharmacists or Pharmacies for over prescribing. Just because a person has a script from a doctor does not mean that Pharmacist has to fill that script.
It happens a lot actually. I know for s fact, that recently North Carolina would not fill ANY prescriptions for oxycodone that came.out of the state of Florida.
And, Doc, that's no exaggeration.
Last edited by MacLaren on Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:53 am
Doc Dan wrote:
The Mastiff wrote:
My God man, you think Tramadol is more dangerous than either oxycodone or fentanyl?
I totally agree with you MacLaren. They've given me tramadol on two occasions and I didn't even have any side effects from it other than just being tired in the middle of the day. To me it's just a little stronger than a prescription grade 800mg Ibuprofen. I was actually even surprised to discover that it was classified as a narcotic.
Every person's body chemistry is different. I even know one lady that can't even take aspirin at all because of the side effects it caused her.
There's one pain pill that's even more dangerous than the ones you guys have mentioned. The old pain med called Demerol has probably caused more early deaths than any other I'm aware of. There is a list of Hollywood stars that died of Demerol overdoses over the years that's quite staggering.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:03 am
MacLaren wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
The Mastiff wrote:
I totally agree with you MacLaren. They've given me tramadol on two occasions and I didn't even have any side effects from it other than just being tired in the middle of the day. To me it's just a little stronger than a prescription grade 800mg Ibuprofen. I was actually even surprised to discover that it was classified as a narcotic.
Every person's body chemistry is different. I even know one lady that can't even take aspirin at all because of the side effects it caused her.
There's one pain pill that's even more dangerous than the ones you guys have mentioned. The old pain med called Demerol has probably caused more early deaths than any other I'm aware of. There is a list of Hollywood stars that died of Demerol overdoses over the years that's quite staggering.
Joe, I would have to say Fentanyl is the most dangerous.
But, I sure as heck dont discount what you say about Demerol either. I dont know much about it but it sounds like morphine?
awa54

Post by awa54 »

This whole discussion makes me thankful that my tolerance for these drugs is so low and that I hate the way they make me feel. I decided to take the discomfort and skip the pain pills (5/325 hydro/aceta) after my wisdom teeth and then many years later, My gall bladder were removed. Same with my two kidney stones; I took absolutely as few as possible.

The pills are nothing compared to what was given in the ER, that stuff is terrible, but better than the pain... by a little.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Yeah, it's a depressing subject.
I'm done with it. Alls I know is there is no exaggerating how bad the oxycodone epidemic really is.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

MacLaren wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
The Mastiff wrote:
Sure, tramadol can be abused. But, its a far, far, **** cry nearly as powerful or dangerous as oxycodone.

And, Joe what did your doctor give you after surgery?
Vicodin? Tylenol 3 w/codeine?
What type surgery were they?
Honestly, you should be thankful they didnt send ya home with a bottle of percocet.
Ya know, bottom line, anything can be abused.
As for doctors prescribing oxycodone, there have been a lot of doctors blackballed by Pharmacists or Pharmacies for over prescribing. Just because a person has a script from a doctor does not mean that Pharmacist has to fill that script.
It happens a lot actually. I know for s fact, that recently North Carolina would not fill ANY prescriptions for oxycodone that came.out of the state of Florida.
And, Doc, that's no exaggeration.
No, I am referring to an actual scientific study where Tramadol turned out to be the biggest culprit in opioid problems. It’s on my phone. If I can find a way to get it off I’ll post it.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050