More on Vitamins: Do they work ?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

More on Vitamins: Do they work ?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

First some basic things to start:

1 I understand I am not seeking medical advice, nor can or would I give it.
2 Obviously, there are certain necessary nutrients the human body needs.

The root of my question is this: Does taking vitamin supplements, such as vitamin C, truly benefit human health, and/or does it very much matter as to how the vitamins are absorbed into the body? Some have told me that taking vitamins in pill form is useless in comparison to getting the vitamins from eating the proper foods, like oranges and other citrus fruits. Is there any solid evidence to prove or substantiate the idea that taking regular vitamins helps boost the immune system and keep us healthy?

I notice that most vitamins and related products have to have a disclaimer in print that reads something to the effect of "This product is not endorsed by the FDA."

However, you have doctors and others who swear by the power of vitamins. Linus Pauling, for example, claimed that if you consume/absorb enough vitamin c every day, you will not suffer from as many colds and sicknesses.

Also, I read there are dangers to taking too much of a vitamin. What happens if you take too much vitamin c?
soc_monki

Re: More on Vitamins: Do they work ?

Post by soc_monki »

Too much of anything is bad. Too much water can kill you, and we are 70% water. You ever see that guy who looked like a smurf because he was constantly taking colloidal silver? It's pretty freaky.

As for vitamins, they work. Problem is, most of it goes right on through. It's not as efficient as eating food containing said vitamins. So are they good? Yes. Do you absolutely need them? Most people don't. I don't take them and I'm perfectly fine. My wife has to take them for certain medical reasons.

So yea, they work, but you'd do better eating a good diet. Listen to your body... If you have a craving it usually means you need something containing a certain mineral.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Glad you brought up this thread SEF ;) Because this is one of the biggest areas of fraud in the entire health food and over the counter drug store business in the USA.
There is a guy who is on Coast To Coast AM about once a month who is a vitamin expert. I'm speaking of Dr. Joel Wallach. He discovered that vitamins are not much good with the vital infusion of trace minerals. Dr. Wallach is just about 80 years old and he looks like he's in his early 50s. He uses a liquid vitamin & mineral concoction that he has religiously taken for about 30 years he says.
He has said on many occasions that vitamins and trace minerals work in tandem with each other. He also stresses that our food supply is so inadequate that you absolutely need supplementation for optimal health.
Most of the vitamins that you get for an extremely low price in many of these chain drug stores throughout the country are a complete waste of money.
I've taken Dr. Wallach's formula in the past and I'm going to start taking it again. I really notice a profound difference when I take his liquid vitamin/mineral formula.
Tims

Post by Tims »

As Joe pointed out, the supplement industry is one of the biggest sham industries going which profits off peoples fear, lack of knowledge, placebo and lazy nutritional habits.
There is so much guess work in supplementing with specific vitamins/minerals so unless there are glaring holes in your nutrition, you are far better off eating whole foods.
How does any one person know their unique nutritional requirements to effectively supplement? Bloods will get you part of the way but won’t give you the full picture.
I used to supplement with vitamins but stopped years ago and haven’t noticed any decline in health or wellbeing. I do use a supergreen sup’ when i remember to restock
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I think a very solid One A Day Vitamin would be excellent for a bug out bag or a prepper. You need a vitamin when you do not have access to food, or a normal meal, and may be eating MREs or sporadically for 1, 2, 3 months due to some bad situation.

I don't see vitamins helping most other people...people with access to a normal every day balanced meal.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Tims

Post by Tims »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:44 pm
I think a very solid One A Day Vitamin would be excellent for a bug out bag or a prepper. You need a vitamin when you do not have access to food, or a normal meal, and may be eating MREs or sporadically for 1, 2, 3 months due to some bad situation.

I don't see vitamins helping most other people...people with access to a normal every day balanced meal.
I agree 100%
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Tims wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:58 pm
Naperville wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:44 pm

I agree 100%
I agree with you guys 100% that there are bogus vitamin products out there. But that stuff that Dr. Joel Wallach has really did do me some good. I'm going to start taking that stuff again. He has some videos explaining how the vitamin industry scams billions of dollars out of people every day. What's really odd about him is his Doctor's Degree is in Veterinary Science :eek: He explains that the Veterinarian Docs found cures for ailments in animals that people also suffer and it's really interesting listening to him as to how he uses similar nutrition to treat people with great results.. But he also explains that they have made far more advancements in the nutrition of animals overall in the past few years than they have with human nutrition. Because when you think about it our food industry for humans is all based on "taste" and not "nutrition". It's been said by some wise people that the American diet is truly the worst diet on the planet>> because it's all based on how good it tastes.

Yes there is a counterfeit for everything imaginable>> especially where there is a chunk of money involved :rolleyes:
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

If your doctor recommends the taking of certain vitamins then it's probably a good idea to do so.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Water Bug wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:17 pm
If your doctor recommends the taking of certain vitamins then it's probably a good idea to do so.
That's very interesting "Water Bug">> Now I've heard of M.D. Doctors giving people vitamin B-12 shots for different reasons and it seems like there's been about 3 women in my family that had to take those. One time after a hernia surgery I was recovering real slowly for some strange reason and my primary care Doc wrote me script for a prescription vitamin called "Berrocca". That was a few years back. I asked him why a vitamin would have to be given by a prescription and he said that a really potent vitamin can sometimes mask certain anemia symptoms.

So what other vitamins have you heard about that Doctors either prescribe or recommend? Seriously I'm genuinely curious.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What would you say to a person who takes 2 or 3 000 miligrams of vitamin c a day in the standard vitamin store capsules, thinking it will prevent them from getting a cold germ?
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:16 pm
What would you say to a person who takes 2 or 3 000 miligrams of vitamin c a day in the standard vitamin store capsules, thinking it will prevent them from getting a cold germ?
It is NOT as JD said that I think vitamins are bogus. Vitamins and supplements are not bogus, but there is a time and place for them which is necessary, yet I suspect they are overused. Vitamins are recommended according to daily minimums, and if you have met that, then all organs should function accordingly, nonetheless you have to keep up your caloric intake. Water and Caloric intake must be met or you will loose weight or die.

I grew up taking a one a day vitamin, along with C and E supplements. After taking them for decades, all that I can say is that it MAY have helped. I have no proof. My family provided a very good diet for me, so I may not have needed any of the vitamins. I took vitamins regularly from age 10 until I was in my 30's.

I also use to take the 2,000mg to 3,000mg of vitamin C when I thought that I had a cold coming on. Not sure that worked either. I would look for studies regarding vitamin C, D, E that are not tied to pharma companies.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:57 pm
Water Bug wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:17 pm
That's very interesting "Water Bug">> Now I've heard of M.D. Doctors giving people vitamin B-12 shots for different reasons and it seems like there's been about 3 women in my family that had to take those. One time after a hernia surgery I was recovering real slowly for some strange reason and my primary care Doc wrote me script for a prescription vitamin called "Berrocca". That was a few years back. I asked him why a vitamin would have to be given by a prescription and he said that a really potent vitamin can sometimes mask certain anemia symptoms.

So what other vitamins have you heard about that Doctors either prescribe or recommend? Seriously I'm genuinely curious.

As my primary care provider noted, some people (based on a medical exam performed and/or ordered by the provider) may have nutrient deficiencies. Per available literature, these deficiencies can include...

- Iron deficiency

- Iodine deficiency

- Vitamin D deficiency

- Vitamin B12 deficiency

- Calcium deficiency

- Vitamin A deficiency

- Magnesium deficiency

Which of these these deficiencies apply to an individual, and how they are addressed, depends on that individual's provider.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

I swear by vitamin B to prevent depression.
My Family have issues with this problem and those that take bit. B on a regular basis all agree it helps to the point where if not taken, life can be a drag.
Maybe not for everyone, but a lot better than some of the addictive drugs that can and are prescribed.
Taking tea or coffee within 30 minutes will negate any benefits.
Just my 2 cents worth..
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:16 pm
Taking that much C will boost you adrenal glands and immune system, as has been shown by science. You urinate out what you don’t need.

However, some vitamins, like A, are fatal taken in high doses.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I've taken high doses of vitamin A gel caps for short periods of time to get rid of warts. Can't say it works for everyone but it worked for me. I usually take a multivitamin daily. It's not going to hurt me and the chance it helps is one I'll take.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

A balanced diet every day that is based on fresh produce is your best source of a balanced vitamin intake.

Sounds obvious- but if you read the fine print on your over-the-counter supplement bottle it'll say "Not a substitute for a balanced diet"

Personally, If I know I'm going to be eating badly for a few days (Travel, holidays, nights out and so on)- Then the vitamins will get added in by supplement.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/