Cancer question.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Cancer question.

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I hope this is okay to ask, I am just curious, in case I ever had to go through it, but I know some people on here are survivors and still getting through that, but, the question I have is, if I ever had to go through the experience of getting cancer of some form, what should I expect as far as the effects of it on the body? What happens to the state of a person if they decide to refuse all treatment and "let nature take its course" as people say? Again, I am not trying to offend anyone at all. Please just be straight forward to me on that. Thank you in advance.
JD Spydo

Re: Cancer question.

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:52 am
I hope this is okay to ask, I am just curious, in case I ever had to go through it, but I know some people on here are survivors and still getting through that, but, the question I have is, if I ever had to go through the experience of getting cancer of some form, what should I expect as far as the effects of it on the body? What happens to the state of a person if they decide to refuse all treatment and "let nature take its course" as people say? Again, I am not trying to offend anyone at all. Please just be straight forward to me on that. Thank you in advance.
There is a lady who was an orthopedic Doctor who got cancer in both her breasts. She was actually given up for dead until some nutritionists told her that they could fix her cancer. That was about 25 years ago>> she just recently turned 81 years old and is in perfect health. Her name is Dr. Lorraine Day and her story is just totally mind-blowing. I know there's some truth in it because my first cousin's wife got breast cancer and then got on her special diet and now she is cancer free. Some of her videos are available on YT.
There are alternative treatments out there and most of the medical community really looks down on them. There is a Doctor that moved his practice to Mexico and I've talked to two people that went down there and received his treatments with good success. He couldn't practice here in the USA because the medical and legal communities literally ran him out of the country.
There is a recent video I viewed and the guy that presented the video on YT goes by "Deep Thoughts Radio" and the video is entitled "Cancer". He goes through a 90 minute presentation that is mind blowing and extremely informative.
I just know this much>> if I were to ever get cancer in my body I would never take chemo or radiation>> I would go for one of the alternative treatments. I've had family and friends go through the conventional US medical treatments and what some of them experienced was truly straight out of **** itself. I will most definitely opt for alternative treatments and also try the specialized diet recommended by Dr. Lorraine Day. The people in our family who never used tobacco >>none of those family members ever got cancer and most of them lived into their 90s. I avoid tobacco like poison ( it is) and try to eat real food. Also eliminate stress from your life as much as possible and try not to harbor hatred and unforgivemess of others. Believe it or not that is a big help to eliminate stress.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I’ll start by saying my wife works at CancerCare and she’d gladly be unemployed by “the cure for all cancer” pharmaceutical or natural. Unfortunately there is none. There are treatments that work and some patients leave treatment clean and clear of cancer. Some come back. Different treatments effect people differently. Some cancers are more aggressive. People’s immune responses are not the same. For example I heal from a cut very quick but a cold lasts forever. My wife is the opposite. I metabolize medicine very fast too and some don’t work on me at all like codeine, my system cannot metabolize it for some reason. Everyone these days seems to think marijuana is some miracle cure but again my body cannot metabolize THC. Using things like marijuana or other natural medicine along with cancer treatments can help with things like nausea or anxiety but people need to discuss it with their doctor or pharmacist as some of these alternatives can interfere with the medicine being administered.
As far as letting it run it’s course, it would depend on many factors. Type of cancer, persons initial heath,etc. I’ve seen folks who have refused treatment and folks on the heavy duty aggressive meds. It’s not much fun for either but from what I’ve seen, including full recovery, it’s worth going through treatment if it’s an option.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

spyderg wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:04 am
I’ll start by saying my wife works at CancerCare and she’d gladly be unemployed by “the cure for all cancer” pharmaceutical or natural. Unfortunately there is none. There are treatments that work and some patients leave treatment clean and clear of cancer. Some come back. Different treatments effect people differently. Some cancers are more aggressive. People’s immune responses are not the same. For example I heal from a cut very quick but a cold lasts forever. My wife is the opposite. I metabolize medicine very fast too and some don’t work on me at all like codeine, my system cannot metabolize it for some reason. Everyone these days seems to think marijuana is some miracle cure but again my body cannot metabolize THC. Using things like marijuana or other natural medicine along with cancer treatments can help with things like nausea or anxiety but people need to discuss it with their doctor or pharmacist as some of these alternatives can interfere with the medicine being administered.
As far as letting it run it’s course, it would depend on many factors. Type of cancer, persons initial heath,etc. I’ve seen folks who have refused treatment and folks on the heavy duty aggressive meds. It’s not much fun for either but from what I’ve seen, including full recovery, it’s worth going through treatment if it’s an option.
Those are some great points "Spyderg" :) Much of that are things we can all learn from. When I testified that my first cousin's wife got on Dr. Lorraine Day's diet regimen and it worked for her because she is still alive to testify to it. But I should have said that it may not work for everyone>> and I'm sure that's the case. There are so many factors involved. Recently in the past 4 years there was a lady talk show host ( Joyce Riley i.e. Power Hour radio show)>> she just recently died from cancer that she fought hard against. She tried a number of alternative treatments and some showed promise and others did not. She tried a lot of natural and alternative treatments but ultimately passed away.
But you make great points that there are so many variables and so many factors that make the human immune system work. Take the ex-basketball player Magic Johnson for instance>> he was diagnosed with HIV in November of 1991>> well that's been 28 years ago. By some strange line up of events MR. Johnson is still living where most people wouldn't have lasted anywhere near that long. And HIV like cancer is due to a broken down immune system in most cases.
But I do believe that there are remedies that Almighty GOD has provided if we can find the one that will work for us as an individual. IT might just be something as simple as doing a complete de-tox of the body. But I still firmly believe that western, conventional treatments are not for me. And I still firmly believe that being poisoned, irradiated and put through a plethora of high dollar meds are not the ultimate ticket to defeating such a foe. But I'm open to hear what might work in most cases. Because I've seen some alternative treatments that did work>> but again maybe not for everyone.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think untreated cancer would be a terrible way to die. I’ve known of a number of people that have gone that way but most were taking treatments. I remember in the movie the shootist Jimmy Stewart was advising John Wayne about what his future was going to be like and told him “I would not die of death like I just described.” Both of my wife Parents died of cancer and it wasn’t all that nice.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I think untreated cancer would be a terrible way to die. I’ve known of a number of people that have gone that way but most were taking treatments. I remember in the movie the shootist Jimmy Stewart was advising John Wayne about what his future was going to be like and told him “I would not die of death like I just described.” Both of my wife Parents died of cancer and it wasn’t all that nice.
Agree. If you see someone in their last days in bed moaning then screaming from pain the highest allowed doses of pain meds doesn't help it will make you understand what Jimmy Stewart was talking about in that movie. Some areas cancer can effect makes pain meds just not all that helpful other than for sedating the person somewhat. It makes me somewhat understanding when I see a doctor who is charged with overdosing patients who are in their last days anyways. ( not talking about other cases) . I knew a RN who worked hospice and she stated she has seen doctors do what they shouldn't do just out of pity for the patient despite the risks. Doctors and nurses who specialize in that type care are often pretty special people.

As far as treatments it depends on too many things to make any blanket statements on what I'd do. How long will I live if I don't ( If I'm already so old or unhealthy than why?) What side effects can I expect? That sort of thing. BY the way, I know a guy who's son died during treatment. His radiation treatment made his tongue swell up so big it strangled him before he could get emergency help. Other than that he was doing well with little side effects. I've had 2 relatives in their 60's shrug off cancer and the treatment without missing a beat and go on with living during and afterward for another 20 years. Every case and person is different.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm not at all oblivious to what you've just said Mastiff. I got to talk to the dad of one of my very best friends in the latter stages of cancer. His dad was basically on his death bed and was so ate up with cancer on several parts of his body it was a literal nightmare just to look him in the face. To stand next to the bed and talk to him was at least 20 times worse than any Stepen King movie I ever saw. He had just come home from a ferocious round of chemo treatments. And like you said they had him on time released morphine sulphate and it didn't do him much good at all. He handed his son ( my friend) a loaded .38 special and begged his son to shoot him in the head to finish him off. I left in a state of shock more or less. I couldn't sleep for almost two days after that. That was about as grim of a dose of reality as I ever had in my life. And that isn't the only death bed cancer case I got to experience first hand>> that was about my 4th one but it was the worst for sure. It's really made me think a lot about physician assisted suicide.

The cancer treatments were so expensive that it forced his mother to sell their farm after his dad died ( 2 days later). My friend was never the same after that. After his dad's funeral he went on a bad drinking binge for over a month before he stopped. So after that I made up my mind that I would personally never take chemo or radiation. If it were ever to come to something like that and natural remedies couldn't help me then it will be my time to see Jesus on the other side. I hope I can stay cancer free and never have to make that decision. I hope none of you who read this ever have to experience anything like that :(
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Possibly 30% of us or more will have cancer in our lifetime. Cancer, stroke and heart disease are the big 3 for killing people.

I think that I would do both, go for a natural cure and undergo chemo or a DNA inspired technology. Let's face it, none of us knows how much we can take when the time comes, so I am not going to pretend to say, I'll take chemo for 5+ years to stay alive. It's very hard on people mentally and physically.

I'll do the best that I can if it comes to me.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Knowing many of the proven causes and avoiding them is a huge part of avoiding the disease all together. Although with this current onslaught of GMO foods and so many fake foods, hydrogenated fats, preservatives, flavor enhancers like MSG and fast food that many restaurants serve it's getting to be a real job just trying to avoid many of the causes of this insidious disease.
Also these awful artificial sweeteners like aspertame and others are so prevalent it's as though the powers that be want an epidemic of cancer so wall street can make a ton of money on people's misery.
Not trying to be self righteous because I've got several friends, family members and acquaintances that smoke tobacco. But with all that is known about the hazards of tobacco cigarttes but yet tobacco usage is on the rise just baffles the **** out of me :confused:
I don't care what the news media says because they lie all the time. But tobacco usage is truly on the increase and not the other way around. In spite of the fact that there are so many carcinogens in tobacco>> I just don't get it :confused:
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:

Well my DAD and Aunt both died from Cancer, Stage 4 and Stage 3 respectably.

All I can tell you that it's normally pretty fast, they both died within 3 months of finding out they had it.

Treatment didn't make any difference either for my Aunt, my DAD didn't take any treatment.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:48 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:

Well my DAD and Aunt both died from Cancer, Stage 4 and Stage 3 respectably.

All I can tell you that it's normally pretty fast, they both died within 3 months of finding out they had it.

Treatment didn't make any difference either for my Aunt, my DAD didn't take any treatment.
I’m sorry to hear that. I know that was tough. I hope they did nit suffer much.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Back when I was into SASS, a holster maker friend suddenly got sick and they found liver cancer. He had no pain and died in a couple of weeks.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

4th stage melanoma here. If I'd not had surgery, radiation, and immunotherapy, I'd be dead. As one of the distant tumors was in my R lung I'd probably of died from that. Basically I'd of slowly asphyxiated due to diseased tissue & fluid build up.

The effects on your body totally depend on the type of cancer, stage, and where the tumor is located. I'm lucky to still be alive. That said I'm missing a huge chunk out of the left side of my neck (thus my screen name) I can no longer use my left arm/hand, radiation damaged my thyroid, and I have an ongoing wound I have to treat. But I'm above ground.

Honestly the amount I would have to type to describe what I went through, and continue to deal with, would take pages.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

God bless you all that are survivors. It's taken my mother, aunt, and grandfather. I don't know about prevention, but a positive attitude sure seems to make a difference in fighting it...
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

diet. cancer isn't new to civilization, but occurrences have skyrocketed. you could draw an association with the development of agriculture and the move away from hunting / gathering. you could draw associations with the mcgovern select committee on nutrition which started low fat (with resultant high carbohydrate) diet craze that spread world-wide and started the type II diabetes / obesity / alzheimer's / cancer ball rolling. world-wide.

read

Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It 2010

or

Good Calories Bad Calories 2007

i gave my wife's type II diabetes pcm a copy of the second. she thanked me and i told her to pass it around to others.

also

What if It's All Been a Big Fat Lie? 7-7-2002 [ nytimes ]

and

The Big Fat Surprise by Nina Teicholz 2014.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I want to see Spyderco bring out a baby blue dragonfly and which part of the proceeds goes to pay for men’s cancer treatment and screening.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Halfneck wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:45 am
4th stage melanoma here. If I'd not had surgery, radiation, and immunotherapy, I'd be dead. As one of the distant tumors was in my R lung I'd probably of died from that. Basically I'd of slowly asphyxiated due to diseased tissue & fluid build up.

The effects on your body totally depend on the type of cancer, stage, and where the tumor is located. I'm lucky to still be alive. That said I'm missing a huge chunk out of the left side of my neck (thus my screen name) I can no longer use my left arm/hand, radiation damaged my thyroid, and I have an ongoing wound I have to treat. But I'm above ground.

Honestly the amount I would have to type to describe what I went through, and continue to deal with, would take pages.
Sorry to hear this. I hope that you beat it for good!

F*CK CANCER!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

My heart goes out to everyone who has had to battle this insidious disease or who has had loved ones who have had their lives stripped from them because of cancer. That's why I'm trying really hard to eliminate anything in my diet or lifestyle that is a known cause of it. It's getting harder too because so much of the food is laced with preservatives, flavor enhancers, Artificial sweeteners( one of the very worst of the cancer causing agents), and even our drinking water is just full of crap that no one should ingest.

I haven't drank any tap water in quite some time now. A good water filter and/or water purifier is probably one of the best investments any of us can make at this time. Water for all intent and purposes is your body's motor oil and just like the oil you put in your car it sure makes a huge difference in what you use. Also it's getting harder and harder to find really good quality produce. Our food supply is truly going down hill. GOD help us all :(
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Cancer is such a bad word, especially when someone you love is told they have it, as was my step-brother, 12 years my junior, who died from non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, after a remission, and left a wife and two young children.

And it’s certainly bad when you are told you have it, as I was last year.

But the word is also bad because it is so inappropriately unspecific. Types and treatments are all over the map. What happens to one cancer victim will not necessarily happen to another. I think it’s crucial for people to refine their dread of cancer.

The one thing that should unify everyone who has so far escaped a cancer diagnosis is ANNUAL SCREENING. If you find you can’t afford an annual screening, why are you buying Spyderco knives?

There are, of course, surprise diagnoses that screenings don’t catch. But, good God, screen annually for the ones that can be caught.

Fortunately, I was caught early. I had had no symptoms.

My bladder cancer didn’t respond to immunotherapy and, so, my bladder was removed and, as is the protocol, also my prostate, which happened also to show cancer (evidently not uncommon for someone my age), and also nearby lymph nodes, which were evidently clear... Inconvenienced and unnerved though I now am, I do feel fine, even though I’m still recovering my stamina and flexibility nine months after surgery.

Have I beat cancer? What an singularly stupid idea!

My daughter, who has a PhD in molecular biology with a specialty in liquid cancers, reminds me regularly that each and every one of us has cancer each and every day, but also that new cells produced daily but gone awry are zapped by our wondrous immune system, that is, until, for some reason, this system fails in some way, such that some kind of cancer takes hold.

What can you do? Watch what you ingest (I was a smoker), watch what you’re exposed to (I traveled jungles where Agent Orange was dropped), and get an ANNUAL SCREENING (I’m alive today because I did).
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:22 am
Cancer is such a bad word, especially when someone you love is told they have it, as was my step-brother, 12 years my junior, who died from non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, after a remission, and left a wife and two young children.

And it’s certainly bad when you are told you have it, as I was last year.

But the word is also bad because it is so inappropriately unspecific. Types and treatments are all over the map. What happens to one cancer victim will not necessarily happen to another. I think it’s crucial for people to refine their dread of cancer.

The one thing that should unify everyone who has so far escaped a cancer diagnosis is ANNUAL SCREENING. If you find you can’t afford an annual screening, why are you buying Spyderco knives?

There are, of course, surprise diagnoses that screenings don’t catch. But, good God, screen annually for the ones that can be caught.

Fortunately, I was caught early. I had had no symptoms.

My bladder cancer didn’t respond to immunotherapy and, so, my bladder was removed and, as is the protocol, also my prostate, which happened also to show cancer (evidently not uncommon for someone my age), and also nearby lymph nodes, which were evidently clear... Inconvenienced and unnerved though I now am, I do feel fine, even though I’m still recovering my stamina and flexibility nine months after surgery.

Have I beat cancer? What an singularly stupid idea!

My daughter, who has a PhD in molecular biology with a specialty in liquid cancers, reminds me regularly that each and every one of us has cancer each and every day, but also that new cells produced daily but gone awry are zapped by our wondrous immune system, that is, until, for some reason, this system fails in some way, such that some kind of cancer takes hold.

What can you do? Watch what you ingest (I was a smoker), watch what you’re exposed to (I traveled jungles where Agent Orange was dropped), and get an ANNUAL SCREENING (I’m alive today because I did).
Excellent post! Everyone should get at least an annual screening. I just had a stool sample test and colonoscopy and although I was afraid of complications, I figured, I'll do the colonoscopy every 5yrs and the stool sample test yearly. We need to do the footwork to stay on top of these issues, or we could die from something easily treated.