COFFEE: Who Drinks The REAL Stuff? Gourmet Beans too?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

COFFEE: Who Drinks The REAL Stuff? Gourmet Beans too?

Post by JD Spydo »

I've been a steady coffee drinker since I was 13 years old. Back in the 1960s I was fishing late one night with one of my uncles and was getting cold and he said to go the concession stand ( it was open 24 hours) and get some coffee and to get him one too. And he got me started the real way. We both drank straight, black coffee until sunrise and the taste of it quickly grew on me. Till then I had never even so much as tasted coffee. My mother who meant well tried to get me to drink it with cream, sugar ect>> It made good coffee taste artifical and I immediately hated anything that covered or altered the true taste of black coffee. I drank it all through high school and have continued to this day and I just turned 65 a while back.

I've tried all of this fancy, schamncy stuff like Latte, Cuppacino and all these other doctored up drinks that you get at these overpriced, rip-off coffee shops. It baffles me and amazes me as to what many people call coffee :confused: . To me all that stuff is an adulterated, over sugared, fake tasting bunch of garbage. So I want to talk to all of you who truly appreciate a real, authentic cup of real black coffee with a true coffee flavor. I have access to some really good gourmet beans from local sources and thank GOD above we have some really good coffee available to us here where I'm living. When I'm at home or work I grind fresh beans and make fresh black coffee and for the people that add stuff to it I go out of my way to give them a hard time :D . So far I've converted two people where I've been working to straight black coffee.

There is one exception>> on occasion I do drink it sometime with maybe a spoonful of organic WildFlower Honey I get from the health food store. But other than that I don't desecrate or alter my coffee in any way. So who else here is a fan of gourmet coffee beans? What kind of bean grinder do you like? I'm always looking for better equipment>> especially better coffee makers and bean grinders. Let's talk REAL COFFEE shall we :cool:
Evil D

Re: COFFEE: Who Drinks The REAL Stuff? Gourmet Beans too?

Post by Evil D »

I've tried but I just can't get a taste for it. By the time I make it drinkable it really isn't coffee anymore, it's more like caffeinated hot chocolate.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I vape nicotine and I drink caffeine in all the forms that God has given man to consume it in.

You know the book, "Green Eggs and Ham" ?, I could probably write a book on nicotine and caffeine!!! :D

I've been through coffee makers of all sorts, French Press systems, pods, espresso machines, you name it, I've probably tried it.

Nothing wrong with ice lattes. Today I probably consumed 30oz of ice lattes from Starbucks. Went to Starbucks because I was there to pick up "egg bites" for our dog...he really likes the bacon infused egg bites. I normally do not stop at Starbucks, I go to Pete's or anywhere else, b/c I don't like Starbucks politics.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I drink it black. The way God intended. I have been known to use Irish whiskey or Rum as a sweetener but day in and day out two cups every morning, black. I have tried French Press, drip, percolator, cold brew, Moka pot and cheap and fancy pour over setups. It’s pour over for me, preferably with estate grown single bean variety coffee beans recently roasted and ground. Like in the last few days. Black.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kodai78 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:21 pm
I drink it black. The way God intended. Black.
YES!!! and AMEN!!! It's refreshing to know that I'm not the only one that realizes that GOD had it right to begin with. There are just so many great things here on planet earth that were right to begin with until man and Wall Street adulterated it and in some cases destroyed it.

BLACK Coffee from freshly roasted beans needs no improvement IMO.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:38 pm
I was fishing
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
remnar

Post by remnar »

https://youtu.be/JANcVXHqNTI One of my favorite scenes :D

I drink about a pot of coffee a day. I used to drink it black but now I'll add just a touch of cream. I started adding cream because it usually makes a lousy cup of coffee a little more palatable and often times I can only get a lousy cup of coffee. I can't stand sugary coffee drinks :(
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:57 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:38 pm
I was fishing
Well BLOKE you better hope there's no Salt Water Crocs in that Billabong you're fishing in :eek: Your place of residence is the last place I would want to fall out of a boat>> or even go for a casual swim as far as that goes :eek:
By the way BLOKE do they grow any coffee beans down under?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:16 pm
Well BLOKE you better hope there's no Salt Water Crocs in that Billabong you're fishing in :eek: Your place of residence is the last place I would want to fall out of a boat>> or even go for a casual swim as far as that goes :eek:
By the way BLOKE do they grow any coffee beans down under?
Ah, hahaha! :D

I just had a little search cause I was curious myself Joe. It appears we grow a little bit of coffee on the far north coast of New South Wales but primarily up in Queensland and it appears that Arabica grown in New South Wales won awards in Paris and Rome in the 1880's. :)

It never ceases to amaze me what we Australians can do. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

kodai78 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:21 pm
I drink it black. The way God intended. I have been known to use Irish whiskey or Rum as a sweetener but day in and day out two cups every morning, black. I have tried French Press, drip, percolator, cold brew, Moka pot and cheap and fancy pour over setups. It’s pour over for me, preferably with estate grown single bean variety coffee beans recently roasted and ground. Like in the last few days. Black.

Couldn't help myself on this one.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

remnar wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:10 pm
One of my favorite scenes :D

I drink about a pot of coffee a day. I used to drink it black but now I'll add just a touch of cream. I started adding cream because it usually makes a lousy cup of coffee a little more palatable and often times I can only get a lousy cup of coffee. I can't stand sugary coffee drinks :(
IF you're drinking that much coffee then you need your own bean grinder. Until you enjoy the essence of fresh ground coffee you really haven't lived a quality life yet :cool: And once you go all the way and have your coffee beans be gourmet quality you really haven't experienced true joy in your life yet.
KRUPS ( the german made unit) is a great bean grinder. "Gloria Jeans" is a great vendor for high quality coffee beans. If you want to really be a snob then get some "Jamaican Blue" coffee beans>> then you'll be what can be called a connoisseur of great coffee. Case Closed :)
Last edited by JD Spydo on Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tims

Post by Tims »

Coffee drinker here but far from a connoisseur.
I’ll battle through whatever ground crap the Mrs brings home from the supermarket but my preference is for Aurora Italian style. French Press, strong and white, no sugar.

We had a coffee tree growing up and tried making our own which was fun but didn’t seem worth the effort at the time. I would do it again though and better if I had a tree.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Tims wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:51 am
I’ll battle through whatever ground crap the Mrs brings home from the supermarket but my preference is for Aurora Italian style. French Press, strong and white, no sugar.

We had a coffee tree growing up and tried making our own which was fun but didn’t seem worth the effort at the time. I would do it again though and better if I had a tree.
I was actually kind of surprised that your fellow countryman i.e. BLOKE told us that they have tried to grow coffee beans in Australia. I've heard that the soil has to have a very special PH and acidity balance. I've also heard that climate is a huge factor as well. I actually find it very funny in one sense but also intriguing that places on the planet where coffee can grow good that in most instances that is also a place on the planet where marijuana grows good as well.
I've also been told by a really good friend of mine who both him and his wife are real wine connoisseurs that Australia has in recent years also been known to be a great producer of fine wine. I find Australia to be a very fascinating country and would to go there some day while still on the planet.
Tims

Post by Tims »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:14 am
Tims wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:51 am

I was actually kind of surprised that your fellow countryman i.e. BLOKE told us that they have tried to grow coffee beans in Australia. I've heard that the soil has to have a very special PH and acidity balance. I've also heard that climate is a huge factor as well. I actually find it very funny in one sense but also intriguing that places on the planet where coffee can grow good that in most instances that is also a place on the planet where marijuana grows good as well.
I've also been told by a really good friend of mine who both him and his wife are real wine connoisseurs that Australia has in recent years also been known to be a great producer of fine wine. I find Australia to be a very fascinating country and would to go there some day while still on the planet.
Australia is one of the most biologically diverse countries on earth. I imagine you could successfully grow just about anything in the right places.

My area in particular is inside the caldera of a
partially eroded Miocene shield volcano so has mineral rich volcanic soils. The area produces a wide variety of crops. Sugar cane, tea, coffee, fruit, vegetable, tree crops, beef, dairy etc.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:58 pm
I vape nicotine and I drink caffeine in all the forms that God has given man to consume it in.

You know the book, "Green Eggs and Ham" ?, I could probably write a book on nicotine and caffeine!!! :D

I've been through coffee makers of all sorts, French Press systems, pods, espresso machines, you name it, I've probably tried it.

Nothing wrong with ice lattes. Today I probably consumed 30oz of ice lattes from Starbucks. Went to Starbucks because I was there to pick up "egg bites" for our dog...he really likes the bacon infused egg bites. I normally do not stop at Starbucks, I go to Pete's or anywhere else, b/c I don't like Starbucks politics.
I also vape my nicotine (quit smoking cigs 2 years ago) and use a bit of sugar and reeses creamer (gotta love peanut butter and chocolate!). I can drink good black coffee, but prefer having a strong coffee, with some flavoring. Still get the coffee bite, but with some goodness with it. Sumatra is our coffee of choice.

I also make my own vape juice. Can make sure my nicotine content is correct, make whatever flavor I want, etc. And it's really pretty cheap that way. Nothing better than my caffeine and nicotine in the morning!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

soc_monki wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:04 am
Naperville wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:58 pm

I also vape my nicotine (quit smoking cigs 2 years ago) and use a bit of sugar and reeses creamer (gotta love peanut butter and chocolate!). I can drink good black coffee, but prefer having a strong coffee, with some flavoring. Still get the coffee bite, but with some goodness with it. Sumatra is our coffee of choice.

I also make my own vape juice. Can make sure my nicotine content is correct, make whatever flavor I want, etc. And it's really pretty cheap that way. Nothing better than my caffeine and nicotine in the morning!
Sumatra has produces some good beans over the years. I've also recently got some great beans from Kenya. Try the one sweetener I occasionally use in my black coffee which is a good grade of "WildFlower Honey". Just the right amount of it does not drown out the rich taste of great coffee beans.
I don't do tobacco at all. I don't use "vape" of any kind. But those stores are mushrooming up everywhere here where I live so it must be catching on in huge way. I just recently used some CBD oil for the first time on a wound I had which I got to heal quickly with CBD oil and New Zealand produced Manuka Honey ( $28 for 12 ounces :eek: ) But I'm here to tell that you real, authentic Manuka Honey has healing properties like you wouldn't believe. I'm now wondering if coffee beans might have some type of healing properties as they've discovered that cannabis does.

I'm glad you bring all of this up because I'm starting to see how important it is to get coffee that's as close to nature as you can find. Good Quality coffee has fewer if any additives to it and I believe that moderate amounts of it are helpful. I'm sure that "vaping" is much safer and better than conventional cigarettes are. I can't tell you how many funerals I've been a pallbearer at that I'm 99% sure that cigarettes is what killed them :( I do think you're on to something with the vaping>> I'm sure it's much safer and probably more efficient as well.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:17 am

Sumatra has produces some good beans over the years. I've also recently got some great beans from Kenya. Try the one sweetener I occasionally use in my black coffee which is a good grade of "WildFlower Honey". Just the right amount of it does not drown out the rich taste of great coffee beans.
I don't do tobacco at all. I don't use "vape" of any kind. But those stores are mushrooming up everywhere here where I live so it must be catching on in huge way. I just recently used some CBD oil for the first time on a wound I had which I got to heal quickly with CBD oil and New Zealand produced Manuka Honey ( $28 for 12 ounces :eek: ) But I'm here to tell that you real, authentic Manuka Honey has healing properties like you wouldn't believe. I'm now wondering if coffee beans might have some type of healing properties as they've discovered that cannabis does.

I'm glad you bring all of this up because I'm starting to see how important it is to get coffee that's as close to nature as you can find. Good Quality coffee has fewer if any additives to it and I believe that moderate amounts of it are helpful. I'm sure that "vaping" is much safer and better than conventional cigarettes are. I can't tell you how many funerals I've been a pallbearer at that I'm 99% sure that cigarettes is what killed them :( I do think you're on to something with the vaping>> I'm sure it's much safer and probably more efficient as well.
Well, my wife got me started on the Sumatra. It's a good, strong flavor but not overbearingly bitter. Smooth, I guess you could say. I'll have to try honey in coffee. I've used it in tea, but never thought about putting a spoonful in coffee! We get our honey from local beekeepers or at the Amish store in bethel springs, TN. We just picked up some orange bloosom honey, so it will be interesting to try it against our normal wildflower honey.

We did see Manuka honey at kohl's I think... It was so expensive for a tiny jar. We thought about it, but ended up not getting it. I think if trust a better source than kohl's though... I may see if I can find it elsewhere and give it a shot.

As for cigarettes and vaping... There's no comparison. I used to smoke 2 and a half packs a day. I could barely breathe. After a 13 hour trip, and smoking a whole pack, I was done. I switched to vaping full time and I can't tell you how much better it is. It's still not good, per se, but making my own juice means I control all aspects of what I suck in. The base ingredients have been used for years in inhalers, and are safe. The flavors used are high grade also, and as long as you don't use titanium dioxide you're pretty safe (and yes, companies have used titanium dioxide in something you inhale...i refuse to buy from such moronic producers, plus their junk is overpriced and tastes like garbage).

One of these days I'll be completely done with nicotine, but at least I can get it in a safer form than tobacco. Fun fact, there has been no reported cases of people getting cancer from vaping. And popcorn lung is all but a myth. I still avoid diacetyl however, most companies have removed it from their flavors, but I still don't like the buttery taste it gives (its the butter flavor in buttery popcorn lol!)
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Long time ago I had the occasional coffee and enjoyed it. Then I got an ulcer that was really irritated by it so I had to cut out coffee. Fast forward a few years and the ulcer went away along with the cause of it but that’s a long story, now I love/need, lol! my coffee. I usually just use the Tassimo because it’s quick and easy. My wife decided to get one of these pour over thingys and it makes nice coffee but takes too long and it’s not hot enough by the time it’s ready. I decided to try these weird spoon things that hold the grinds and you stir it in. Works well enough but you get some of the fine grounds at the bottom of the cup. Been using coffee beans from some coffee joint in Nova Scotia that she went to when there on business. “Full Steam” I think. Oh, and I drink my coffee black.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I usually drink it black at work. At home I sometimes add milk and a teaspoon of sugar. Sometimes just the milk. Made some cold brew yesterday and it was really smooth. Drank that black. Every now and then I'll get a Java chip Frappuccino no whip cream though. Been drinking some amazing coffee stout beers lately too. Ones a local brewery called the parish and they make REVE. Probably the best coffee stout I've ever had. I like coffee in all it's forms for the most part.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

spyderg wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:46 am
Long time ago I had the occasional coffee and enjoyed it. Then I got an ulcer that was really irritated by it so I had to cut out coffee. Fast forward a few years and the ulcer went away along with the cause of it but that’s a long story, now I love/need, lol! my coffee. I usually just use the Tassimo because it’s quick and easy. My wife decided to get one of these pour over thingys and it makes nice coffee but takes too long and it’s not hot enough by the time it’s ready. I decided to try these weird spoon things that hold the grinds and you stir it in. Works well enough but you get some of the fine grounds at the bottom of the cup. Been using coffee beans from some coffee joint in Nova Scotia that she went to when there on business. “Full Steam” I think. Oh, and I drink my coffee black.
I find it quite interesting that so much is available up there in Canada. The two times I've visited Canada I've loved it up there. The summers are great. The two provinces I would pick to live in would be British Columbia and Alberta. Although the time I spent in New York state ( Niagara Falls area) we went across the border into the Ontario province quite a bit.
I would think that during your long and demanding winter seasons you guys would literally gulp a lot of coffee during those extremely cold times.
I've also heard that the state of Alaska downs quite a bit of coffee in comparison to the lower 48.
I've heard that "French Roast" is really popular up there. I'm not a fan of French Roast>> Oh I'll drink it if there is nothing else left to make breakfast coffee with>> but I almost have to hold my nose while I drink it. The two best coffees I've found so far are true Hawaiian KONA and Jamaican Blue. Those are so good that I'm surprised that they haven't been made illegal :D