What MLB players should be in the HF but aren’t?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

What MLB players should be in the HF but aren’t?

Post by Doc Dan »

What major league baseball players are not in the Hall of Fame but they should be? Kurt Schilling perhaps? There are a number of really good players that are not in the Hall of Fame for one reason or another. This has nothing to do many times with their playing ability.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
wrdwrght

Re: What MLB players should be in the HF but aren’t?

Post by wrdwrght »

Betting on (as distinct from throwing) games (e.g. Pete Rose), taking performance-enhancing drugs (and not ODing) (e.g. Alex Rodriguez), having objectionable personalities or politics (e.g. Kurt Schilling); such things should not be disqualifying.

MLB is about making money—BIG MONEY—and winning drives this metric far more than personal stats alone. Did my examples (and their too-numerous-to name ilk) not help their teams win?

BTW, when did comparing different eras or players become the Hall of Fame’s (and asterisk’s) purpose.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Well, there are 2 categories for this question imo.
1. Players that didnt do anything wrong, but didnt get in.
Imo, most of these players were probably popular, but just don't have the numbers.
2. Players that have the numbers, but really screwed up by breaking the rules.
So, as for category 1, I really cant think of anyone at the moment.
But.....for category 2, the obvious person with unquestionably best numbers would be Charlie Husltle - Pete Rose
Pete broke the all time hit record without any help.
And, his longevity is as just as impressive.
Pete Rose, was an incredible ball palyer.
That being said, no one else comes close, that not already in the Hall. I say that because by golly steroids WILL MAKE YOU A FREAKIN SUPERMAN. It's very much for real lol....
That being said, I honestly do not believe for one second Barry Bonds would've broken Babe Ruth or Henry Aaron's home run record. Barry Bonds would've prolly gotten in without juice, but he wouldnt of hit all those home runs. Not that late in his career.
Not imo anyways.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

No Barry bonds would not have in them nor would he have hit all those homeruns without the steroids. Is there anybody that should be in the Hall of Fame but is not. Schilling, example did not do anything wrong. He didn’t break the rules. People just did not like his personality or his politics. He probably should have gotten in. Who else?

As for Pete Rose, he knew he was doing wrong and did it anyway. However I think his punishment was too severe. In no other sport would he have been punished this severely. And this goes back to a law enacted during the Great Depression Buy a do-nothing Congress combat organize crime.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Pete is one of the best to ever play the game. It's ridiculous that he isn't in, he was a better player than half the guys in there.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Definitely Pete Rose. And I’m so very happy that Edgar Martinez finally got in this past Sunday!!
Josh
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Pete agreed to a lifetime ban because the commissioner at the time had information that Pete knew would destroy his reputation. He agreed to the ban. While the other parties were alive he kept a low profile. When Bart Giammatti was long gone and the PI he hired passed away Pete re-opened his campaign to be in the Hall of Fame. I say if we can all see that information and judge whether Pete gambled on games he played in then I would consider his candidacy. If that never happens then I think the lifetime ban he agreed to should stand.
Steroids or Performance enhancing drugs are cheating. They threaten the integrity of the game. Allowing A-Rod or Bonds in the Hall (or anyone else guilty of same) is simply wrong. Cheating shouldn’t be rewarded with high honors. Very old fashioned of me to want Pete to keep his word and cheaters not to be honored? Proud to be old fashioned.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

kodai78 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:59 pm
Pete agreed to a lifetime ban because the commissioner at the time had information that Pete knew would destroy his reputation. He agreed to the ban. While the other parties were alive he kept a low profile. When Bart Giammatti was long gone and the PI he hired passed away Pete re-opened his campaign to be in the Hall of Fame. I say if we can all see that information and judge whether Pete gambled on games he played in then I would consider his candidacy. If that never happens then I think the lifetime ban he agreed to should stand.
Steroids or Performance enhancing drugs are cheating. They threaten the integrity of the game. Allowing A-Rod or Bonds in the Hall (or anyone else guilty of same) is simply wrong. Cheating shouldn’t be rewarded with high honors. Very old fashioned of me to want Pete to keep his word and cheaters not to be honored? Proud to be old fashioned.
I agree wholeheartedly with this.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Pete Rose is arguably the best player ever.
But, what he did - if he really gave a dam, he wouldnt have done that. And, I'm a firm believer theres more to the story as mentioned in an earlier post.
It's just a shame. A crying shame.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

murphjd25 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:28 pm
Definitely Pete Rose. And I’m so very happy that Edgar Martinez finally got in this past Sunday!!
Pete Rose for sure>> it's been long enough for wounds to heal and I'm more than sure Pete has learned his lesson and could still contribute to MLB in a big way. And breaking Ty Cobbs record with over 4000 base hits>> no one in modern baseball will ever get close to that IMO <>> I forgive PETE ROSE and everyone else should too at this point.
Also include the entire 1975 Cincinnati Reds team that won the world series that year. It's still about the best World Series I can remember.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

I don't even like baseball and even I know Pete Rose got screwed.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

OldHoosier62 wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:07 pm
I don't even like baseball
:eek: :eek: :eek:

:D

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:58 am
OldHoosier62 wrote:

I agree with OldHoosier >> because like I said earlier none of them play with any intensity like Pete Rose or George Brett did. But I did like the sport when Pete Rose, Willie Mays, Roberto Clemente, And Hank Aaron all played. Now that was "baseball" :cool:

With the exception of Pete Rose I think all of them are in the Hall of Fame including the great George Brett of the KC Royals when they were really a team
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:33 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:58 am
OldHoosier62 wrote:

I agree with OldHoosier >> because like I said earlier none of them play with any intensity like Pete Rose or George Brett did. But I did like the sport when Pete Rose, Willie Mays, Roberto Clemente, And Hank Aaron all played. Now that was "baseball" :cool:

With the exception of Pete Rose I think all of them are in the Hall of Fame including the great George Brett of the KC Royals when they were really a team
Haha. I was just joking with you. Not everyone likes every sport, me included.

The Royals are still good, but of late start off with a bang and fizzle around July or August.

The players you mentioned were some of my heroes growing up, along with Mickey Mantle.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
benben

Post by benben »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:09 pm
murphjd25 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:28 pm
Pete Rose for sure>> it's been long enough for wounds to heal and I'm more than sure Pete has learned his lesson and could still contribute to MLB in a big way. And breaking Ty Cobbs record with over 4000 base hits>> no one in modern baseball will ever get close to that IMO <>> I forgive PETE ROSE and everyone else should too at this point.
Also include the entire 1975 Cincinnati Reds team that won the world series that year. It's still about the best World Series I can remember.
The day-in day-out roster / lineup of the 1975 Reds is probably the best baseball team ever, including the 1927 Yankees Murderers Row team! I’m sure some baseball purists will disagree with me on this!

EDIT: I will add the 2017 Houston Astros has to be added to the list of best lineups in history in the modern era, as far as team payrolls go, ESPECIALLY compared to the Dodgers team and their payroll they beat that year! I didn’t look it up again, but I think Kershaw’s salary himself covered the entire starting lineup of the Astros that year, or maybe the entire roster?? It was something crazy like that!