You Get What You Pay For: Yeah You Really Do

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

You Get What You Pay For: Yeah You Really Do

Post by JD Spydo »

One thread going now has brought up the consumer rule that few talk about. It just simply says " You Get What You Pay For". Which goes to say that there are some items that you just can't go cheap on nor can you buy them in bargain stores. Some of the items that immediately come to my brain are "Fishing Line, Tires, House Paint, Clothing Items and most definitely footwear.

I think most of us Spyderville citizens realize this sacred rule of consumer business. Because not settling for Rip-Mart or Flea Market knives has landed many of us to using Spyderco's great knives. So you can say that Knives are truly an item that "You Get What You Pay For". I think for the most part you can put TOOLS of almost any kind in that category. I've been buying many tools off the local Snap-On truck for some time now>> you can't beat their quality but they do have a lofty price tag. Again You Get What You Pay For. There are a few bargains if you look long and hard enough>> but those are the exception and not very often do you get a true bargain.

I've found that even household cleaning products fit that definition too. OK let's talk about items that you most definitely GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR
soc_monki

Re: You Get What You Pay For: Yeah You Really Do

Post by soc_monki »

I agree, definitely. One thing about tools though, is that quite a few things on the tool trucks are rebranded items such as channellock pliers or knipex pliers, which can usually be had for cheaper elsewhere. You pay a markup for the convenience of the tool truck and the name.

But when it comes to my line of work, I tend to get the best I can get. Knipex for most of my pliers, channellock makes the best diagonal cutters imo, picquic for screwdrivers... Etc. Do I have some harbor freight tools? Yes, but that's mostly for just around the house stuff. Some of it is actually good quality, but most is just barely passable.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

soc_monki, thank you for mentioning this! Can you please advise me on some of the other good tool brands? Until you came along I have never heard of Knipex and now I just looked them up and I am pleasantly surprised. Thank you, friend. I would gladly welcome any other good insights into quality tool companies you or anyone else has.

Here is their website:

http://www.knipex-tools.com/home/
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Sef, I basically know about what I use in my line of work (electrician). Different pliers (linemans, channellocks, diagonal cutters, crimpers), screwdrivers, nut drivers, some wrenches and sockets. Klein is OK for some stuff, but I prefer knipex for linemans. Channellock, as I said, makes the best diagonal cutters, but knipex makes better channellocks (water pump pliers) honestly! I like picquic screwdrivers, they are inexpensive, great quality, and great customer service! They replaced my 5 year old screwdriver no questions asked since the handle cracked. Can't ask for better than that!

As for wrenches and sockets, I don't need the highest quality (I'm no millwright!) so I just get stuff from the home depot, mostly husky. It's served me well and has a lifetime warranty.

For multimeters and the like, fluke is the trusted brand. Others work, but fluke has been in the game so long their reputation precedes them.

I have to say though knipex is by far my favorite tool maker. You pay for it, but they are worth every penny. I have the cobra and alligator pliers, and I won't buy anything else. I won't need to, they are built to last!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

In some things, yes. In others there's definitely a point of diminishing returns. Especially if you don't consider "pride of ownership" or "bragging rights" to be worth a substantial amount. Am fairly sure there are watches available for under $500 that will keep time just as accurately, and in some cases more accurately, than those that cost over $10K. Am also not convinced that the really high end 1911's bring anything to the table to justify their cost.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

The Deacon wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:33 am
In some things, yes. In others there's definitely a point of diminishing returns. Especially if you don't consider "pride of ownership" or "bragging rights" to be worth a substantial amount. Am fairly sure there are watches available for under $500 that will keep time just as accurately, and in some cases more accurately, than those that cost over $10K. Am also not convinced that the really high end 1911's bring anything to the table to justify their cost.
I have wondered that about watches, Deacon, and also jewelry. Unless a person is purchasing it for an investment, is the only reason why someone would show off an expensive diamond necklace or ring, or expensive watch, so they can brag and show they could afford it? There are lower cost watches, as you rightly pointed out, that tell time perfectly well, and, there are beautiful pieces of jewelry that are better than a chunk of transparent cubic carbon.
James Y

Post by James Y »

As far as watches go, I have a Timex that is reliable for me. They last a long time, and when one eventually stops working, I get another for anywhere from $30 to $40. I do not need a Rolex, and TBH,,a Timex probably keeps time as well as or better than a Rolex.

As far as knives go, yes, I believe you get what you pay for, up to a point. Even then, more expensive is not always better. I have Victorinox SAKs that are a better value for money, and even cut better, than many high-end knives.

When I buy tools, it's usually common stuff from Home Depot or something. I do try to make sure the tools are at least from a name brand, and I don't go for the cheapest or the most expensive, but whatever I feel will serve my purposes and will at least last for years. I'm kind of picky about that, and I'll pick a few of the same tool to check for any detectable defects.

I will not get the cheapest product solely for the purpose of saving money, though. There is a saying, "Buy quality and cry once."

Jim
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:43 am
The Deacon wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:33 am
I have wondered that about watches, Deacon, and also jewelry. Unless a person is purchasing it for an investment, is the only reason why someone would show off an expensive diamond necklace or ring, or expensive watch, so they can brag and show they could afford it? There are lower cost watches, as you rightly pointed out, that tell time perfectly well, and, there are beautiful pieces of jewelry that are better than a chunk of transparent cubic carbon.

I can understand gold jewelry, and diamonds, to a point. They are both beautiful to look at. They also are two of the most universal currencies, have been for centuries, and probably will be for the foreseeable future. But yes, most times they're primary purpose is to be status symbols. Some folks are going to trust a salesman wearing a Rolex more than one wearing a Timex. Others will wonder if it's a fake, or how many clients he had to screw over in order to get it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

In almost all cases I agree you get what you pay for, but with everything there are differences in attributes that may be more important to each individual.

When I wear a watch, which is not often, I wear a G-Shock. There are other watches that I like as much or more but I've never spent more than $50 on a watch. I would if I had unlimited funds. I might have ten watches even though I can only wear one at a time, and they all might not keep the time any better than my Casio.

The only thing a salesman wearing a Rolex tells you is that they are making their quotas, and then some. That may mean they are overpricing their goods/services, that they have been in the game a bit longer, or that the company they work for is a better company and they close more sales.

I don't buy jewelry, don't have a fast car. I collect knives.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
benben

Post by benben »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:50 am
soc_monki, thank you for mentioning this! Can you please advise me on some of the other good tool brands? Until you came along I have never heard of Knipex and now I just looked them up and I am pleasantly surprised. Thank you, friend. I would gladly welcome any other good insights into quality tool companies you or anyone else has.

Here is their website:

http://www.knipex-tools.com/home/
I have a huge toolbox full of Snap-On and Mac tools, I honestly think Snap-On makes the best wrenches and sockets on the market, and yes they're crazy expensive! And as much as I like Snap-On, to me Knipex pliers are hands down my favorite pliers out there!
awa54

Post by awa54 »

If you twist a wrench for pay, tools are your livelihood, in that case "pro" tools that are unconditionally warranted and have service that comes to you weekly to sell or warrant broken items are worth every penny you pay for them.

For most of us though, well sized, decently finished tools of a slightly lesser grade can be a fine lifetime investment. I have a few Snap-On tools, but more of my mechanics' tools are second tier stuff like S-K, Easco or PR. They do the work I need them to do and cost me a fraction of what their Snap-On and even Mac equivalents would have.

Plenty of designer items don't really fit that statement though, you can get average quality goods that have trending/aspirational/exclusive names on them that have prices that reflect the branding more than the actual quality.

And in some things "you get what you *paid* for" is true for different reasons: (I work in a jewelry store) Quite a few high-end watch owners are flummoxed by the prices they need to pay for replacement parts, or service for their (insert $5000.00+ watch make here)... turns out the bracelet for your $10,000.00 Rolex is $3500.00 to replace when you wear it out! When they complain about how an OEM bracelet is overpriced and the $50.00 aftermarket one isn't nice enough, I usually gently remind them that they essentially bought a Rolls Royce for their wrist, you don't get RR parts at NAPA, and you don't have Midas install them! Maintaining luxury goods usually has a luxurious price tag ;)

Buying jewelry "smart" requires self-education and lots of it... without understanding the reasons for cost and the ways to spot quality, you can see seemingly identical items at wildly different prices. It's a big subject, but my advice is to shop locally with smaller businesses that have a good track record and will talk to you about the merits of a piece and why it's priced the way it is. Also, don't impulse buy on really big ticket items unless you're certain of what you're buying (and almost never on a cruise/in the islands!).
Last edited by awa54 on Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I find it interesting that watches have been brought up because that has become a whole new paradigm in the past few years. It used to be if you wanted a dependable watch you just had to break down and put out the bucks for a premium, craftsman made watch. But really that hasn't been the case for a long time. I wear a watch a lot of times but I have a "Timex" I bought back around 2006 and I've only recently quit using it because I can no longer find a battery for it. It still will work with the right battery to this day.

So figure even at that I got close to 13 years out of a $30 watch still wasn't a bad deal at all considering. Oh for sure a high dollar, Swiss Made watch is much more of a keep sake heirloom but it has gotten to where the far less expensive electronic chronograph type watches will give you years of accurate service.

My main thrust of this thread is focusing on items to where going cheap can really cost you horribly in the long run. Take my examples of fishing line and tires for instance. By only using the finest fishing line that money can buy I was able to land a 12 pound carp on a 4 pound test, Dupont STREN fishing line. Had I used a Rip-Mart discount line my fight with that fish would have been lost early in the fight. And no explanation needs to be made as to how cheap tires could cost you your life.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

awa54 wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:07 am
If you twist a wrench for pay, tools are your livelihood, in that case "pro" tools that are unconditionally warranted and have service that comes to you weekly to sell or warrant broken items are worth every penny you pay for them.

For most of us though, well sized, decently finished tools of a slightly lesser grade can be a fine lifetime investment. I have a few Snap-On tools, but more of my mechanics' tools are second tier stuff like S-K, Easco or PR. They do the work I need them to do and cost me a fraction of what their Snap-On and even Mac equivalents would have.
Hey Brother I'm not trying to pop your bubble at all and to a minor degree I sort of agree with you take on tools. But by the way I have some S-K and BLACKHAWK tools I got all the way back to the 1970s from an old auto parts store that went broke and I got them for under cost I'm sure. Those 1970s era SK & Blackhawk tools both had similar quality as Snap-On and the better grade Craftsman tools.

Now I will say that there are a few no-name USA made tools that are very good quality and considerably cheaper than Snap-On or any of the other upper tier tools. I have some old Montgomery WArds "Power Kraft" tools that are great even by today's standards. But I would put my 1970s era SK tools up against anyone's.

I've been doing a big paint job at our church recently and I'm here to tell you that there is no paint brush made on the planet that can compare to a "Purdy". I've only used "Purdy" paint brushes and other paint tools they make since the 1980s>> I won't use anyone else's unless it's like an epoxy job to where you just throw the brush away instead of cleaning it.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

After responding to SEF's "Cancer" thread it immediately came to mind that there is another item that you do not under any circumstances want to go "cheap" on. Actually it's two distinct items. First off when it comes to medications I've heard people rave about how good of deals they got buying their meds down in Mexico. NOT!!!!!!!! NO!!! don't ever do that. Because Mexico's laws on pharmaceuticals are not like ours at all. Prescription medications are something you want that has undergone the strictest scrutiny possible. One of my old girlfriends had bad stomach problems and was getting a med called "Tagamet">> her daughter got her some from Mexico when she went down there and the stuff made her sicker than a dog that had been poisoned. Learned that one the hard way.

Also I know that there are many of you here that like to use herbs and natural products to help with all kinds of ailments and problems as I do. I don't get any of my health food or vitamins or herbs or any natural product from a Walgreen or any other chain store. I go to a reputable health food or herb store and buy the best quality available. I learned an expensive lesson on that one the hard way too.

And those are two really important items you don't want to bargain hunt for. I can also add those generic, store brand items to that list too. I bought a Walgreen imitation of Vick's Nyquil and the stuff was completely worthless junk and didn't do me any good at all>> I had to throw it away. A $10 mistake I'll never make again.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Joe,

I'd also be very careful about any meds, foods (for humans or pets), or flooring materials made in China.

Jim
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Have to say I am a watch guy first then a knife guy.

Daily wear is a Omega Speedmaster, the same one certified by NASA.
Yes a $50 watch tells the time better
Yes a Rolex for double the price is cooler apparently
But the fact you can still buy a watch that is the same as it was 50 years ago ( before digital watches and just before automatic chronograph watches were made ) that’s manually wound each and every day. The few hundred parts tuned and tick away in precision of up to 5 seconds a day is a part of what it’s all about.

I still have a few digital watches like a Luminox that are worth a 10th of the price but nothing like wearing a piece of vintage mechanical precision that has lasted over 50 years and is still as good as it was 50 years ago.

Rabbit hole warning
More into 1950-60s watches that were showcased in below for precision in time keeping
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuchâtel_Observatory
2B3C3271-BAD1-44CF-937F-09C55518D950.jpeg

Funny as the watch game LEs ( Limited Editions) is exactly like the sprint runs that get snapped up and flipped on EBay for profit.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.