Victorinox photo and discussion thread!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Makunochimaster

Re: Victorinox photo and discussion thread!

Post by Makunochimaster »

DSC_0792.jpg
Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

So I sent in my victorinox swiss tool spirit because the chisel was full and the phillips was mangled, but the tool other wise was barely used in the 10 years I've had it. They told me they cannot fix it and will replace it for once (one time thing) for $5 (I think for shipping) - really odd - I'd assume they'd be able to grind off the rivet, swap the tools and rivet it back up.

Also, I noted that tip on my rambler was proud. It came back with new scales, new tooth pick and tweezers, but tip still sticks proud... I guess I'll just buy a new one...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I noticed that knifeworks.com and others have Vic Classics in multiple colors of clear scales. Pretty neat.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

Can't stand SAK's. Better off buying a good multi tool.
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

^^^ LOL! Well now, there's a helpful post. ^^^

Thanks for sharing your opinion in this thread :rolleyes:

u.w.
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

u.w. wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:19 pm
^^^ LOL! Well now, there's a helpful post. ^^^

Thanks for sharing your opinion in this thread :rolleyes:

u.w.
You are very welcome. BTW I do like Victorinox's kitchen knives and bayonets. Own quite a few actually. :)
Sorry if I don't like SAK's or see how they are more useful than my Gerber NXT Suspension or Wave. :rolleyes:
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

I like Victorinox kitchen knives too, and didn't even know they made bayonets.

Cool.

Absolutely zero need for any apologies my friend. You are very much entitled to you thoughts & opinions; and I respect them. While there's is little doubt that I would agree with them all, I don't have to :) and it's all good :) I'm also not self centered enough to think that MY perception is The Only Way, lol. Your intention has equal, if not more weight.

I genuinely thought your post in this seemingly SAK appreciation/show-off thread was funny, though perhaps a chance for it to not be the most well received. As in, most posts are folks showing off their SAKs, and talking about how they like them - and then you come in and say you hate them and (I will guess everyone?) would be better off buying a multi-tool.
LOL!!
That's pretty darn funny, I laughed right out loud

(I think SAKs are considered multi-tools by the way - but yes - I know what you mean when you say multi-tool of course)

No doubt about it - both SAKs & multi-tools have their place, and fans. I like both, or either or, depending on what I'm doing.
I do carry a SAK daily, use it very frequently, and find it suits my needs very well.

I'd love to see photos of your Victorinox Bayonets, by the way.

u.w.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Dan In MI wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:13 am
kennethsime wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:25 pm
Has anyone ordered some aftermarket scales for their SAK?
No...but the ones you linked to look pretty cool. If you go through with it, I hope they don't disappoint.
A few months back, I found my 15-year old Victorinox Huntsman at my folks' place, going through old car parts while cleaning out the barn. I had left it in with my old parts because the scales were exposed to hydraulic brake fluid and had started to... well, melt.

I immediately thought about this thread, and those Micarta scales. Rather than shipping them from England, I discovered that DLT stocks an assortment of Micarta scales for Victorinox SAKs made by RGT. These are the Green Linen Micarta - I figured the finer linen would be a closer feel to the original plastic scales. Got the knife all cleaned up, lubricated with nano oil, and re-scaled tonight. Pictured below next to some Bladescales.com Allan Putnam Green Canvas Micarta and some Spyderco Natural Canvas Micarta for comparison.

I'll have to order up some new tweezers and toothpicks after discarding the old ones. The Huntsman is a rather heavy model, much heavier than my usual carry, the Spartan. I'm not sure it'll see a lot of EDC time owing to the extra weight, but definitely coming with me for hikes, backpacking, and camping.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

My well worn Victorinox Recruit.
The big blade has been used up enough that I've had to thin it, and drop it's tip numerous times now. It doesn't even go to the end of the "fat" part of the flat-tip or short blade anymore, when all closed.

I post about grinding the tip down in reference to where I read about someone having a proud tip on one of their SAKs (I think?). Through use and sharpening, mine got that way, which of course will grab/stab/cut you. By making it more "drop point", that problem was solved.
i had to do the same to the Ikutchi I bought way back, though that was brand new and how it came out of the box - unfortunately though it did cut me decently a few times before I learned...

and my first three peppers off my plants this year! :D

u.w.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Knives pictured (from left): Victorinox Sportsman and Compact.

These two knives have seen a lot of pocket time recently. Just received the Compact a few weeks ago as an anniversary gift. I was really hoping I would get one ;). The Compact has all the features I was looking for in a relatively compact package—namely: scissors, a nail file, a pin, and a ball point pen. However, I was a bit surprised that it came in longer and heavier than the Sportsman. Overall, I think the Sportsman is about the “perfect” size. I think the Compact would be a home run if it were available in this size too. (I also prefer the nail file on the Sportsman over the Compact, but that’s a minor nitpick).
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

SpyderNut wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:08 pm
Knives pictured (from left): Victorinox Sportsman and Compact.

These two knives have seen a lot of pocket time recently. Just received the Compact a few weeks ago as an anniversary gift. I was really hoping I would get one ;). The Compact has all the features I was looking for in a relatively compact package—namely: scissors, a nail file, a pin, and a ball point pen. However, I was a bit surprised that it came in longer and heavier than the Sportsman. Overall, I think the Sportsman is about the “perfect” size. I think the Compact would be a home run if it were available in this size too. (I also prefer the nail file on the Sportsman over the Compact, but that’s a minor nitpick).
The Sportsman was my first knife I received as a gift from my father when I was 6. My Dad thought it was the perfect gentleman's knife. I still quite enjoy a Sportsman, but I generally carry a Spartan as I prefer the extra sharpened blade. I agree that the 84mm length is pretty much where it's at.

For me, SAKs are all about convenience vs. utility - what are the most useful tools you can get into the most lightweight package? My father was an assistant troop leader for the Girl Scouts when I was a kid (I have sisters). He told me about a time when a new Girl Scout about 8 years old showed up to a camping trip with a brand new SwissChamp - well over 30 tools, and she couldn't use a single one because the thing didn't fit in her hand.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

I bought a Compact at the beginning of this year. It literally has been in my pocket every day since then.
Such a useful tool. Just the perfect combination for my edc.
Now if they just did it with a combo blade, Victorinox style, serrated front and plain edge nearest the scales.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
przemekspce

Post by przemekspce »

Mechanic Jr

:bug-red-white Instagram: przemekspce :bug-red
archangel

Post by archangel »

I have another inbound, the Evo Grip 14. AFAIK this is a former Wenger model. Looking forward to see if I spot differences, apart from the obvious fact that the Evo is a mid size while my Outrider is a large size model.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

archangel wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:00 am
I have another inbound, the Evo Grip 14. AFAIK this is a former Wenger model. Looking forward to see if I spot differences, apart from the obvious fact that the Evo is a mid size while my Outrider is a large size model.
Those EvoGrip models look pretty cool - let us know how you like it!

Makunochimaster

photo_2021-08-15_17-36-06.jpg
photo_2021-08-15_17-35-44.jpg
photo_2021-08-15_17-35-46.jpg
archangel

My family of Wengers / Victorinoxes

Post by archangel »

So, here we are:
20210820_110702_copy_1651x1238.jpg
20210820_110653_copy_1651x1238.jpg
Comparison of blade lengths ;)
20210820_110926_copy_1651x1238.jpg
20210820_110918_copy_1651x1238.jpg
I know I once owned another mid-size, I think it was a Wenger. It was quite loaded with tools. It is MIA. Shame...

The latest addition is the mid-size one with black finger grooves, afaik a former Wenger named Evo Grip. Ergos are very good on this one! I don't see big differences in the quality of the tools except for the scissors. I must say that the Evo Grip's scissors are two steps above the scissors of original Victorinox scissors. Here's why:
20210820_113138_copy_1651x1238.jpg
20210820_113338_copy_1030x772.jpg
Do you see the differences? ;) There are three: The spring is the most obvious. Quite flimsy on the original V, super robust on the W. Secondly, the W's scissors have a lead. Maybe you spot it if you zoom in (I know, pic's too dark), right below the pivot screw. Lastly, (Evil D, are you receiving?) the cutting edges of the W's scissors are serrated! :nerd They cut much better than the V's scissors. Truly superior!

I think I'm good with this little collection. No further additions planned.
Last edited by archangel on Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Makunochimaster

DSC_0182.JPG
kobold

Post by kobold »

The Collected Works of Victorinox. There is still one I want: the Traveller.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
archangel

Post by archangel »

kobold wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:10 am
The Collected Works of Victorinox. There is still one I want: the Traveller.

Impressive. Why two identical Swiss Tools, besides the third one on top?

I realized I forgot that I too own a sharpener pen, just like the one on your picture.
Last edited by archangel on Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael