Heavy Duty Work Clothing: Your Pick?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Heavy Duty Work Clothing: Your Pick?

Post by JD Spydo »

For the past 35 years of my life I've done some pretty demanding work which has caused me to have replacements for both knees and my right shoulder>> I'm getting close to being a "bionic man" as friends laughingly tell me all the time. What I've really grown to appreciate over the years is my appreciation for really great work clothing. Way back in the late 70s till about the early 90s I was pretty much a Carhartt man but over the years I began to test out other lines of high quality work clothing.

Lately I've really taken a liking to a European line of work clothes known as Blaklader. So far I have 3 pieces of their great clothing and I plan on getting more. Also recently I found a brand of bib overalls I even like better than Carhartt>> they are the USA made "Round House" brand and I do plan on checking out more of their work wear.

I like heavy duty and well made work wear because it lasts a really long time compared to regular clothing. Also there is still a lot of Work Wear that still maintains high quality standards whereas regular clothing seems like it's designed to fail in 3 years or in most cases much less time. OK what brands of Work Wear do you guys prefer? Also if there are other Non USA made brands of work clothing like "Blaklader" I welcome hearing about those as well. I'm always looking for good work clothing so let's talk about what you all like the best.
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Heavy Duty Work Clothing: Your Pick?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Great post, JD. One related question is this: Which brands make clothes appropriate to the above question, that are durable, but, not abrasive and "scratchy" on the person? What has the best balance between comfort and durability? A Japanese person told me that in her opinion, well-made silk if a person can get it has both the combination of comfort and durability, better than modern synthetic materials, and some have claimed linen. But those are pricey to get and have their flaws, too.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I pretty much always worked places that assigned clothing/ uniform so I didn't really have a choice not counting when I worked construction, on the railroad, etc. and I don't recall all that much of what I wore back in the 70's and early 80's doing that. I will give advice to anybody starting out on a job that keeps you standing all day for a career. Don't cheat yourself and get the best footwear you can. Get it sized correctly too. The wear and tear on the body adds up over time. Learn from guys like J.D. Spydo and me.

Think about this. When bone surgeons get to working on you they have similar tools and skills to modern cabinet makers and really good carpenters. Think about Black and Decker drills, surgical rotary tools and such grinding and sawing away at your bones. :) Cold Chisels too. :D No, I'm not exaggerating. I've had 4 so far and stopped despite needing at least that many more.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

My job will destroy any clothing so I don’t buy anything too nice. My employer pays for everything and I mostly wear cheap dickies canvas pants, red wing boots and our company shirts, hats and jackets. It gets pretty cold here so I save most of the clothing money for thermals, wool socks, gloves and hand warmers.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:29 am
Great post, JD. One related question is this: Which brands make clothes appropriate to the above question, that are durable, but, not abrasive and "scratchy" on the person? What has the best balance between comfort and durability? A Japanese person told me that in her opinion, well-made silk if a person can get it has both the combination of comfort and durability, better than modern synthetic materials, and some have claimed linen. But those are pricey to get and have their flaws, too.
So far the two newer brands I mentioned have been the best for me. The company that makes bib overalls and high quality coveralls is Round House and they are USA made. They are notably more comfortable than Carhartt>> and I wish I had all the money I spent over the years on Carhartt work clothing. But the Round House are constructed to take abuse but stil comfortable too.

The European clothing company I mentioned i.e. "Blaklader" has also impressed me. The winter vest I got of theirs a year or so back has been a GOD-Send. It's actually warmer than even one of Carhartt's better vests. And the durable construction of their clothes is probably about the best I've seen so far.

Also as far as work shirts I've been going to running stores and getting shirts and long underwear that wicks moisture away and found that clothing made with that type of material ultimately keeps me warming in winter. The best long underwear I've found for hard work in cold weather is "Merino Wool" long underwear. It not only wicks moisture away from your body but the Merino Wool is extremely comfortable as well. There are a lot of companies now that make "Merino Wool' long underwear really well. I hope that's enough to get you started anyway. Fall and Winter will be here before we know it.
SpyderEdgeForever

Regarding quality shoes that are both durable and comfortable for long-term use, what brands and types do you recommend for people, to minimize foot damage and pain? Do you like to get inserts like specialized soles for shock-absorbtion?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Joe, all my cold weather working/hunting and even a little fishing clothing is Carhartt. I have 2 lined to waist sandstone bib overalls, 2 double front flannel lined dungarees (in pic), 2 weather duck dungarees, a 141 jacket (in pic) and a Santa Fe jacket. :)

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:56 pm
Joe, all my cold weather working/hunting and even a little fishing clothing is Carhartt. I have 2 lined to waist sandstone bib overalls, 2 double front flannel lined dungarees (in pic), 2 weather duck dungarees, a 141 jacket (in pic) and a Santa Fe jacket. :)
Hey BLOKE ol' buddy that's a monster CARP you have there!! Do you guys have CARP down in Australia? I knew that they had some CARP species in Southeast Asia but I didn't know they were in other parts of the globe as well. Nice Looking CARHARTT clothes you have there too. I still think that Carhartt has the better looking work clothes for sure. But they are not as durable as they used to be IMO.

Holy Cow!!! that fish looks big enough to stand up a fight. All the CARP I've caught over the years do put up a great fight.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:18 pm
Regarding quality shoes that are both durable and comfortable for long-term use, what brands and types do you recommend for people, to minimize foot damage and pain? Do you like to get inserts like specialized soles for shock-absorbtion?
I listen to a guy in the mornings on the "Republic Broadcast Network" over the internet named John Moore ( www.thelibertyman.com). He is a former Green Beret and he has tested several brands of boots and shoes and he claims that Danner boots are currently the best on the market. I've found that his recommendations to be really good over the past 5 years. Personally I've always had great luck with Redwing products ( boots and shoes) for work. Much of the time anymore I use a really heavy version of a New Balance trainer type athletic shoe. Now they are not good for some of your rougher work in which you would need a nice boot. But for 90% of the work I do they work great and are relatively light weight as well.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

+1 on the footwear!

I’ve had a huge heel spur ground off, and I spend way more time and money on my footwear now.

I use store-bought orthotic insoles, gel insoles, and will swap these around, as temperature and time on my feet can change things.

Some shoes break-in “wrong” from new though, which is frustrating. I’ve learned the hard way to bin or sell those on, and take the hit, rather than try break my feet into those.
SpyderEdgeForever

Thank you very much! This is very helpful shoe info.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:12 am
+1 on the footwear!

I’ve had a huge heel spur ground off, and I spend way more time and money on my footwear now.

I use store-bought orthotic insoles, gel insoles, and will swap these around, as temperature and time on my feet can change things.

Some shoes break-in “wrong” from new though, which is frustrating. I’ve learned the hard way to bin or sell those on, and take the hit, rather than try break my feet into those.
That is a great point there "Chris" because I've read that in two really good survival books that you want to guard and maintain your feet at all costs. Without good, pain free feet you are seriously limited not only in "work" situations but if you were in an emergency situation you would be highly limited.
Which is one reason I launched this thread because if an emergency breaks out ( natural or political) then "function" will be your highest priority. When I'm working I could really care less what I look like>> or if I'm in an emergency situation vanity will be at the very bottom of my list.
Cheap shoes, boots or other cheap foot ware will ultimately cause far more problems that you realize. You can go "cheap" on clothing and get away with it to a large degree>> but cheap foot ware will ultimately destroy you.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I bought a hoodie from these guys but haven't received it yet. It was pretty expensive for a hoodie so I'm a little skeptical but we'll see. If it lives up to the hype it should be the last hoodie I ever buy.

https://www.1620usa.com/
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderEdgeForever

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:17 pm
ChrisinHove wrote:
+1 on the footwear!

That is a great point there "Chris" because I've read that in two really good survival books that you want to guard and maintain your feet at all costs. Without good, pain free feet you are seriously limited not only in "work" situations but if you were in an emergency situation you would be highly limited.
Which is one reason I launched this thread because if an emergency breaks out ( natural or political) then "function" will be your highest priority. When I'm working I could really care less what I look like>> or if I'm in an emergency situation vanity will be at the very bottom of my list.
Cheap shoes, boots or other cheap foot ware will ultimately cause far more problems that you realize. You can go "cheap" on clothing and get away with it to a large degree>> but cheap foot ware will ultimately destroy you.
I understand what you mean but are you saying there is zero possibility that a person can get along with walking shoes in the 30-70 dollar per pair range that are safe, and quality enough to make sure the feet stay comfortable and secure, or, is it possible to find shoes in that price range that are decent and will not cause future foot problems?
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I don’t think price is the main factor but fit.

Shoes of cheaper materials *might* not maintain a good fit for as long as those of better materials, however.

Having said that, I have cheap shoes with not-cheap replacement insoles that remain all day comfortable and have virtually worn-out soles. They look rubbish, mind.

On the other hand, purchase price is often related to branding, however, which is not necessarily about optimal quality. Timberlands vary enormously in my experience, for example.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:11 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:17 pm
ChrisinHove wrote:
+1 on the footwear!

I understand what you mean but are you saying there is zero possibility that a person can get along with walking shoes in the 30-70 dollar per pair range that are safe, and quality enough to make sure the feet stay comfortable and secure, or, is it possible to find shoes in that price range that are decent and will not cause future foot problems?
Well I'm not exactly saying that per se but I will go on record as saying that Foot Ware is something in the category that you truly get what you pay for the majority of the time. I've actually found two pairs of USA made New Balance Running Shoes ( worth well of $100 a pair) at a local thrift store with hardly no use to them at all for $15 a pair. But that's a rare exception and certainly not a common, everyday good buy you can usually get at thrift stores.
Most of the time when I've been shopping for high quality foot ware I've found it's best not to bargain hunt but to mainly find the high quality stuff that won't harm your feet or joints. I've had such great luck with Redwing for instance. A few years back I had a pair of RockPort hiking shoes that were awesome and they lasted me just about 10 years. But I've been told by friends that RockPort shoes aren't what they used to be so be careful. And most high quality foot ware will pay for themselves with a long life. But be very careful bargain hunting for quality foot ware and really know your products so you don't buy trash.
Tims

Post by Tims »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:07 am
Bloke wrote:
Hey BLOKE ol' buddy that's a monster CARP you have there!! Do you guys have CARP down in Australia? I knew that they had some CARP species in Southeast Asia but I didn't know they were in other parts of the globe as well. Nice Looking CARHARTT clothes you have there too. I still think that Carhartt has the better looking work clothes for sure. But they are not as durable as they used to be IMO.

Holy Cow!!! that fish looks big enough to stand up a fight. All the CARP I've caught over the years do put up a great fight.
We have Carp in Oz Joe, European Carp, like in Alex’s pic, are considered a pest and are strictly catch and kill. They’ve been nicknamed ‘river rabbits’ because they breed like mad and ruin the environment. They’re like the cane toad of the Murray Darling river system. They call ‘em ‘mud marlin’ too because they are fun on light gear.

We actually have a whole fish fertiliser brand here called Charlie Carp which was developed as a way to utilise culled Carp.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Tims wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:04 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:07 am
Bloke wrote:

We have Carp in Oz Joe, European Carp, like in Alex’s pic, are considered a pest and are strictly catch and kill. They’ve been nicknamed ‘river rabbits’ because they breed like mad and ruin the environment. They’re like the cane toad of the Murray Darling river system. They call ‘em ‘mud marlin’ too because they are fun on light gear.

We actually have a whole fish fertiliser brand here called Charlie Carp which was developed as a way to utilise culled Carp.
Here in the USA if you catch them out of really clean water like the Current River in South Missouri they are really good eating. We have two Carp species here in Missouri USA >> we have just a regular Carp that looks similar to the one in BLOKES picture and one really big broad species that they call "buffalo fish">> the Buffalo are also good but only out of really clean water. You catch one in the Missouri River or the Mississippi River your method of killing them is a great idea because they have a mud like taste out of those major rivers. I've also eaten them out of really clean lakes with good results too. But if it's muddy water or slightly polluted water forget it. But those bad boys really put up a helluva fight especially if they weight ten pounds or more.

Speaking of those Cane Toads they better find a way to kill and eliminate those critters or you guys are going to have a horrible problem in the future. I even heard Steve Irwin say before he died that they needed to kill all of the Cane toads and those wild hogs you guys are having problems with. But Steve Irwin said that the Salt Water Crocs really loved to eat those hogs so maybe there's hope for getting rid of those.

I'm kind of surprised that you guys have a lot of Carhartt clothes over there in Kangaroo Land. If you ever get a chance to try the Blaklader line of work clothes I highly recommend that you and BLOKE both would love them.