Apple slicing...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
awa54

Apple slicing...

Post by awa54 »

Am I the only one here who doesn't view eating an apple as an excuse to use my knife?

We grow a lot of apples in Vermont and pretty much everyone I know just eats them without cutting them up. Throwing the core when you're done is a bit of an art though ;)

It might also be my penchant for not wanting to get food/juice in the works of my folding knives too, I'm much more likely to use a paring or chefs' knife for food prep than many here on the forum seem to be.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
TkoK83Spy

Re: Apple slicing...

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm the same as you David...I was raised to eat an apple by hand, cutting one up is too much work. I did when my stepdaughter was younger, but even now at 7, she likes to eat it by hand without cutting it up.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
James Y

Post by James Y »

I used to eat apples by hand, but for years now I've preferred them sliced. And yes, I use my folder (usually a SAK or one of my Spyders). It's not done as an excuse to use my knife. It's simply what I prefer to do. I've never had any problems getting juice into the knives' pivots, either. If the blade is short, I simply turn the apple as I'm cutting it.

Jim
Tims

Post by Tims »

I eat apples caveman style, core and all.

This very topic came up recently in conversation with a fellow knife fiend and we both agreed it felt weird cutting up apples to eat. So you’re not alone
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

I broke my one of my front teeth when I was young and ever since then I cut my apples when I eat them.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Apples are an excuse to use my pocket knife. I slice them, holding the apple in my hand and drawing the knife towards me, pushing with my thumb. It’s fun. It also shows what knives are good slicers. Some cannot make very thin slices. Some will break the pieces. Some knives are more easily controlled during the slice than others.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hah, yeah, every time I read someone asking “what do you cut your apples with?” I think...ummm, my teeth?

That said I have had a few varieties that are so dang big that it’s really hard to make the first bite into them.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Hahah, I love that this is a thread..

I eat apples by hand probably 90% of the time. But I do sometimes like to eat apples with peanut butter and it's nice to be able to cut them into slices for dipping in that case.. As far as cutting them, I use whatever knife is most convenient. If I'm near my kitchen, I will probably use a pairing knife. If I'm not near my kitchen, whichever Spydie is in my pocket may be called into to duty.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Tims

Post by Tims »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:57 pm
Hah, yeah, every time I read someone asking “what do you cut your apples with?” I think...ummm, my teeth?

That said I have had a few varieties that are so dang big that it’s really hard to make the first bite into them.
I like to punch my upper teeth into those big ones to start ‘em off. It makes a satisfying sound!
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

I prefer to break apples in half before eating. Easier to take bites without a gaping maw, especially for larger apples. Also makes it easy to share, for example when hiking.

Of course slicing can be a fun option when sharing with some folks. "Wait, what else do you use that knife for?" "Well, as you can see, slicing apples, also paring my toenails and so on. Not necessarily in that order..."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Depends on the apple. I rather enjoy the crisp bite of a Honeycrisp but the mushier types get sliced.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I’m 50/50. Some get sliced others just get ate whole. Always a good excuse to use your knife though.
Josh
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Slicing apples with a knife is messy business. :rolleyes:

I think you’re probably best off just holding the stick and biting into them. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I’ll eat an apple from my fist, but when cheese is also on the menu, as it often is in my house, out comes a slicer, sometimes even one with a hole in the blade. Semper gumby, people, semper gumby.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

i ate the skin and threw out the rest lol.

Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

You guys are using your knives wrong in slicing an apple. No wonder there’s no satisfaction. :eek: :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Wow what a great thread! I like to slice apples with knives, and see how thin a slice I can get before it gets too "floppy". I also like to eat apple slices with cheese, does or has anyone else here ever eaten that combination? It actually goes well together.

Regarding eating the whole apple, core and all: I have done that rarely but I read that the seeds contain arsenic and can be dangerous if consumed, is that true?

Generally now I throw away the core. Some people can also compost them.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:24 am
Wow what a great thread! I like to slice apples with knives, and see how thin a slice I can get before it gets too "floppy". I also like to eat apple slices with cheese, does or has anyone else here ever eaten that combination? It actually goes well together.

Regarding eating the whole apple, core and all: I have done that rarely but I read that the seeds contain arsenic and can be dangerous if consumed, is that true?

If you eat the seeds a tree will grow out of your stomach. :D

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Sometimes I cut them up and sometimes I don’t. I often eat apples with peanut butter and I also often eat apples with my breakfast. Scrambled eggs, sliced fruit and cottage cheese is a go to breakfast for me. Those are times I cut them up. Other times I just chomp right into them and sprinkle a little salt on each bite. Mmmmm.... salty apples. :)

I almost never use a folder in the kitchen. I have high performance kitchen knives that make my Spydies look like pry bars. That said, I usually use one of those apple slicing contraptions that cores and wedges the apple for you. Probably not the knife nut way to do it but it is fast and easy.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:54 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:24 am

If you eat the seeds a tree will grow out of your stomach. :D
Haha :)