Massdrop Peddling $11 Rough Riders

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
knivesandbooks

Massdrop Peddling $11 Rough Riders

Post by knivesandbooks »

They're just going to start selling everything Chinese now? I thought they were focusing on knives for enthusiasts.

https://drop.com/buy/rough-rider-thin-man-liner-lock
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Tims

Re: Massdrop Peddling $11 Rough Riders

Post by Tims »

I filled out a knife survey in an email I received from them months ago. Of the dozens of questions, whether or not country of origin mattered was one of them.
Looks like the consensus was that it didn’t matter and they’ve run with it
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

Country of origin doesn't matter, but quality definitely does.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Oh, I agree country doesn't matter and I appreciate many of their exclusives and collabs made by good OEMs like WE,Bestech, Reate. But I don't understand how they could also sell $11 flea market knives too. Seems like it would tarnish their brand. They don't sell hundreds of models or anything. An $11 cheapo really sticks out like a sore thumb.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Tims

Post by Tims »

In the end they’re here to make money and if selling $11 Rough Ryders makes ‘em money, they’ll do it. I have no idea what the profit margin on an $11 knife would be but the Massdrop crowd seem like a fussy bunch, not afraid of returning less than perfect products. Seems like you’d have to sell a lot of them to make it worthwhile, especially considering the inevitable returns your going to get on such a lowly product.
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

Fussy is an understatement. People on there got incredibly worked up when they got S30V natives after Massdrop advertised them as S35VN. Massdrop did everything they could to make up for it, but people still weren't happy. I'd assume they're trying to appeal to a different group of people with those $11 knives.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Have any of you put Rough Ryder/Rider knife steel blades to hard use and what are your comments on them? I ask because I have seen them producing both old-classic patterns and newer models, in fixed and folders, at low prices.

Is it alot of hype or are some of them actually good tools?