If buck 110 had Ti scales and screw construction

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
smitnkp

If buck 110 had Ti scales and screw construction

Post by smitnkp »

Hello everyone, I’m very new here and just want some opinions on my work. I’m not a knife maker and this is just my hobby. Hope you like it.

I wanted a Buck 110 (and the 186 with titanium handle) when I was a teenager back in 80’s but I didn’t have one as I don’t have much money back then. Now I could get one but it’s kind of old, heavy, don’t have a pocket clip (I know buck recently came out with light wieght model with pocket clip) and is still pinned construction which is the thing that bugs me the most. I did this just for fun to see what 110 will look like with screw construction, I changed blade grind to flat grind as I like flat grind more than hollow grind. What do you think of it.

Buck110-0.jpg
Buck110-2.jpg
Buck110-3.jpg
Buck110-5.jpg
Buck110-4.jpg

Note: I drafted 110 out lines form an image but It’s quite distort so I had to redraw and adjust all the lines in 3D software and end up with close but not exactly the 110 dimensions.
Evil D

Re: If buck 110 had Ti scales and screw construction

Post by Evil D »

I'd still pass. I can't go back to the original back lock design. Maybe if it was also updated into a mid lock, but then I'm also not a fan of thumb studs so besides nostalgia there isn't anything here for me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
smitnkp

Post by smitnkp »

Actually, I’m kind of the same as you on the lock and it’s the reason I don’t have any 110 in my possession. I thought of getting it many times just for the sake of filling my childhood dream but I know I’m not going to use it so I leave it alone. I prefer thumb hole but don’t mind thumb stud that much as long as it’s out of the cutting path. Thank you for reply, Evil D.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've had a few BUCK model 110 folders over the years. But the one I had that I truly would like to have back was that specially made version back in the late 90s that had the "Ion Fusion" coating that you only had to sharpen on one side. They also did their fixed blade model 119 that way too. Me and a friend got both of those at a BASS PRO store here in Missouri. My pal still has the model 119 fixed blade with the ION FUSION but my 110 model with that blade got traded many moons ago.

I really don't know why that concept didn't take off. I asked Chuck Buck himself at the 2006 BLADE show about those models and he said people just would not follow the instructions and only sharpen on one side>> I guess old habits are hard to break. But I thought at the time that BUCK was really on to something.

I'm just not sure about Ti handles and screw construction :confused: That's just something that Spyderco and two of the other upper tier knife companies would do>> BUCK is just too traditional for something like that. Oh I would love to see it but I think we would see lower income taxes before that would happen :rolleyes:
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Welcome to the Forum! Thank you for sharing your ideas! Nice graphics. The top two images with the traditional bolsters and scales are the best.

Interesting idea you have, but for me it's a bit too modern for a good, old-fashion lockback. I'm more of a traditionalist and like the Buck 110 Folding Hunter with the brass bolsters, macassar ebony scales, and pinned construction.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
smitnkp

Post by smitnkp »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:00 pm
I've had a few BUCK model 110 folders over the years. But the one I had that I truly would like to have back was that specially made version back in the late 90s that had the "Ion Fusion" coating that you only had to sharpen on one side. They also did their fixed blade model 119 that way too. Me and a friend got both of those at a BASS PRO store here in Missouri. My pal still has the model 119 fixed blade with the ION FUSION but my 110 model with that blade got traded many moons ago.

I really don't know why that concept didn't take off. I asked Chuck Buck himself at the 2006 BLADE show about those models and he said people just would not follow the instructions and only sharpen on one side>> I guess old habits are hard to break. But I thought at the time that BUCK was really on to something.

I'm just not sure about Ti handles and screw construction :confused: That's just something that Spyderco and two of the other upper tier knife companies would do>> BUCK is just too traditional for something like that. Oh I would love to see it but I think we would see lower income taxes before that would happen :rolleyes:
Thanks for infos JD Spydo, I didn't know anything about that, interesting stuff. Knife is not very common thing here in my country, Thailand, even a Victorinox classic on my key ring is kind of strange in many peoples eye. I'm very late in this knife thing. I always interested in knife but all I've owned until my first Spyderco is Just 3 Victorinox knife and a leathetrman which kind of not a multi-tool and not a knife for me. I don't think Buck would do this kind of things and I really agree with what you said that Buck is too traditional.
smitnkp

Post by smitnkp »

Water Bug wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:46 pm
Welcome to the Forum! Thank you for sharing your ideas! Nice graphics. The top two images with the traditional bolsters and scales are the best.

Interesting idea you have, but for me it's a bit too modern for a good, old-fashion lockback. I'm more of a traditionalist and like the Buck 110 Folding Hunter with the brass bolsters, macassar ebony scales, and pinned construction.
Actually the first doesn't have bolsters, it's just a slab of titanium and I put textures in the place where the scales are to keep the original look. I like the traditional looked of the 110 too, saw one with buffalo horn and nickel bolster, it's such a beautiful thing to see. I couldn't use something like that though, just too beautiful. I like many classic things (I love classic car and think most cars today look like crap) but I'm more on modern simple design and kind of lean more toward the functional side of things. Big thanks Water Bug, It's really nice to read your comment.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Now I might be tempted to try a BUCK model 110 with a G-10 handle and some high tech supersteel blade. But other than that I don't know what that old model has that Spyderco hasn't already outdone.

Again I'm even surprised that the BUCK 110 model with the Ion Fusion blade didn't take off :confused: . Because in a lot of ways it was kind of ahead of it's time. Because the cutting edge on that set up was literally the material that the Ion Fusion was made with. Which was probably much harder than most blade steels. But I guess one negative aspect of that would be that it would take strictly only diamond stones to sharpen it with. But on the other hand these newer supersteels are getting so hard, so tough and a molecular bond to where eventually only diamond sharpening tools will be able to maintain an edge on those newer, upcoming blade steels.
smitnkp

Post by smitnkp »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:20 am
Now I might be tempted to try a BUCK model 110 with a G-10 handle and some high tech supersteel blade. But other than that I don't know what that old model has that Spyderco hasn't already outdone.

Again I'm even surprised that the BUCK 110 model with the Ion Fusion blade didn't take off :confused: . Because in a lot of ways it was kind of ahead of it's time. Because the cutting edge on that set up was literally the material that the Ion Fusion was made with. Which was probably much harder than most blade steels. But I guess one negative aspect of that would be that it would take strictly only diamond stones to sharpen it with. But on the other hand these newer supersteels are getting so hard, so tough and a molecular bond to where eventually only diamond sharpening tools will be able to maintain an edge on those newer, upcoming blade steels.

I still remember the time when Buck ahead of everyone and quite innovative, the 186 with Ti handle, screw construction and its sort of pocket clip thing, so futuristic back in those days. It's quite sad that Buck seems to stand still when Spyderco and other keep pushing ahead and leave Buck buck behind. I was tempting to get a Buck folder but never did, I handled some but each one seems to have an issue one way or another. It's why I decide to go with Spyderco in the first place for price and quality, and I'm very happy with my decision. I don't know much about blade steels and my experience is very limit. I'd like to try some super steel but they are just too expensive for me and I'm kind of afraid of sharpening them even though I have DMT kit and generally don't have any problem with sharpening my knife. Ion Fusion blade is very interesting I think I should do a bit of research on that.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

smitnkp wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:00 am
Water Bug wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:46 pm

Actually the first doesn't have bolsters, it's just a slab of titanium and I put textures in the place where the scales are to keep the original look. I like the traditional looked of the 110 too, saw one with buffalo horn and nickel bolster, it's such a beautiful thing to see. I couldn't use something like that though, just too beautiful. I like many classic things (I love classic car and think most cars today look like crap) but I'm more on modern simple design and kind of lean more toward the functional side of things. Big thanks Water Bug, It's really nice to read your comment.

Ah, okay... thank you for the clarification! The texturing looked a lot like scales. And, you're welcome!
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
James Y

Post by James Y »

I own a discontinued Buck 560, which is basically a ti-handled Buck 110. But it still pinnes and doesn't have screw construction.
I like it much better than the regular 110.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

smitnkp wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:08 am
JD Spydo wrote:

I still remember the time when Buck ahead of everyone and quite innovative, the 186 with Ti handle, screw construction and its sort of pocket clip thing, so futuristic back in those days. It's quite sad that Buck seems to stand still when Spyderco and other keep pushing ahead and leave Buck buck behind. I was tempting to get a Buck folder but never did, I handled some but each one seems to have an issue one way or another. It's why I decide to go with Spyderco in the first place for price and quality, and I'm very happy with my decision. I don't know much about blade steels and my experience is very limit. I'd like to try some super steel but they are just too expensive for me and I'm kind of afraid of sharpening them even though I have DMT kit and generally don't have any problem with sharpening my knife. Ion Fusion blade is very interesting I think I should do a bit of research on that.
OH don't get me wrong because the BUCK knife company has a rich history and they are really a piece of "Americana". I personally still own a few of their blades ( mostly older ones) and I still have a lot of respect for the company. BUCK is like Spyderco in that they also sell high quality sharpening gear which few knife companies do. When most American guys think of outdoor type knives or pocket knives the first company that comes to mind for most of them is BUCK. And the BUCK family I believe is now on their 3rd Generation of family owners. I spoke to Chuck Buck himself on two occasions at knife shows actually before he passed away and I also got to speak to two of his employees that both had over 20 years with the company. That says a lot when someone works for a company that long>> especially now a days with the current predatory work environment.

It hasn't been that long ago that BUCK started making their 110 model in S30V and I was kind of surprised to see that. I think if BUCK follows Spyderco's and Benchmade's lead and starts making more blades out of the newer supersteels they could end up being around for a long, long time to come.
smitnkp

Post by smitnkp »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:30 pm
smitnkp wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:08 am
JD Spydo wrote:

OH don't get me wrong because the BUCK knife company has a rich history and they are really a piece of "Americana". I personally still own a few of their blades ( mostly older ones) and I still have a lot of respect for the company. BUCK is like Spyderco in that they also sell high quality sharpening gear which few knife companies do. When most American guys think of outdoor type knives or pocket knives the first company that comes to mind for most of them is BUCK. And the BUCK family I believe is now on their 3rd Generation of family owners. I spoke to Chuck Buck himself on two occasions at knife shows actually before he passed away and I also got to speak to two of his employees that both had over 20 years with the company. That says a lot when someone works for a company that long>> especially now a days with the current predatory work environment.

It hasn't been that long ago that BUCK started making their 110 model in S30V and I was kind of surprised to see that. I think if BUCK follows Spyderco's and Benchmade's lead and starts making more blades out of the newer supersteels they could end up being around for a long, long time to come.
I didn’t mean to disrespect Buck in anyway, and they still made nice knives. By "stand still", I just mean they seems to stick to traditional way of making things, and some issue with QC, but that just about their folder not their fixed blade at all. Buck knives are always priced really reasonable and some compromise have to be made to achieve that, and Buck did very well in that regard. I like their fixed blade but I just wish they could do a bit better with their folder. I believe Buck will stay with us for a long time and I can’t imagine they stop making knife at least not in my life time.
smitnkp

Post by smitnkp »

James Y wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:05 pm
I own a discontinued Buck 560, which is basically a ti-handled Buck 110. But it still pinnes and doesn't have screw construction.
I like it much better than the regular 110.

Jim
Wow, I'm jealous. I didn't know about that model.
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

I like that pocket clip much better than the one they use on the 110 Slim Pro. I've also thought screw together construction would be a huge improvement. Actually, Smitnkp, your design is about as close to the perfect 110 as I've ever seen. Nice job.
smitnkp

Post by smitnkp »

Frozenspyder wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:53 pm
I like that pocket clip much better than the one they use on the 110 Slim Pro. I've also thought screw together construction would be a huge improvement. Actually, Smitnkp, your design is about as close to the perfect 110 as I've ever seen. Nice job.
I’m happy you like it. Thanks for the compliment, Frozenspyder.