Spyderco Waterway vs Coldsteel Master Hunter 3v

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
knivesandbooks

Spyderco Waterway vs Coldsteel Master Hunter 3v

Post by knivesandbooks »

So I'm thinking about getting a good, synthetic handled fixed blade for utility type things. The two on my mind are the waterway and the master hunter in 3v. Any recommendations on which to get? I like the price point on these for the tasks they will be doing and used for. Cardboard, banding, strapping, yard things. Corrosion isn't a big deal for me on fixed blades like it can be on folders. Lc200n and 3v are some of my favorite steels. Both blade shapes seem good for utility, but probably an edge for the Cold Steel. What do y'all think?
Last edited by knivesandbooks on Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Bloke

Re: Spyderco Waterway vs Coldsteel Master Hunter 3v

Post by Bloke »

I think the Waterway is likely the more versatile knife. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Waterway would be the better choice all around.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Spyderco ought to make a "Water Way 2" that has a blade that is in the 3.5 to 4 mm thickness range and 3.5 to 4 inch blade length, using Lc200N stainless steel, and a FRN handle.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:11 pm
Spyderco ought to make a "Water Way 2" that has a blade that is in the 3.5 to 4 mm thickness range and 3.5 to 4 inch blade length, using Lc200N stainless steel, and a FRN handle.
I'll take everything you said but in 2.5 to 3 mm stock
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:13 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:11 pm
I'll take everything you said but in 2.5 to 3 mm stock
That sounds good to me. It would definitely be a better slicer with that thinner blade stock, and, I think it would be plenty durable. Would you want the FRN handle to have some form of checkering, or the standard Spyderco textures used on the folders, or smooth?
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

I don't have a Waterway (yet) but do have a 3v Master Hunter. It is a supremely useful knife and is the fixed blade i carry all the time in my go bag. It's one of those knives that feels like it could do anything you asked of it. Nice distal taper. Reasonably thin BTE and easy to sharpen. I've had no issues with corrosion but I live in the desert SW.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Honestly I think for the things you described you ought to consider a SE Aqua Salt. Tough to beat for a bomb proof utility blade.

Between the two you're considering I don't think you can go wrong. Both are very well designed models. I don't own the CS but I have used it. No idea how Cold Steels heat treat of 3V is, but on paper it's one of the best steels for rougher use fixed blades, no doubt.

If theres any questions you have about the Waterway specifically, let me know.
:unicorn
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I have used the Master Hunter and I liked it a lot actually. I love the handle material and the blade is quite thick (and pretty thick bte) giving it a sense of being quite durable. I had it for a week or so before giving it much use and formed a pretty high opinion of it. At some point I decided to use it to do some fish processing and yikes, that’s definitely not where it’s going to shine. It felt like I was trying to fillet with an axe, haha. Too beefy and thick behind the edge. The Coldsteel is a very nice knife and would be a good choice if you’re going to be really hammering on it but the Waterway is going to have a big advantage in cutting performance for normal tasks like cardboard, food, etc. Get both. ;)
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I’ve never handled a Cold Steel Master Hunter. I think the Cold Steel Master Hunter very much resembles a couple of Fallkniven knives like the S1. Before the Waterway came about I was seriously considering purchasing a Fallkniven S1 with a laminated VG-10 blade, however fortunately it did not work out that way.

I own a Waterway and I’m quiet impressed with it. I think it’s got great slicing ability, I’ve been using it a lot for food prep and it comes along on hikes too. I would EDC it more but it is mandatory to tuck in our shirts at work and I would much prefer to conceal a fixed blade of that size in an EDC role at work. A knife is made to cut not be used as a pry bar. The he Waterway cuts spectacularly and its usable in so many different applications. I think you would be hard pressed to find any knife with the Waterways performance capabilities but, this is just my opinion.

Thanks for making such an awesome knife Lance and Spyderco!! :D
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
awa54

Post by awa54 »

No input on the Waterway, but I own an original Master Hunter in CarbonV and it's more of a small club with an edge than a knife... I prefer their Recon Tanto pattern for my sharpened pry-bar needs ;)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have a master hunter still in storage. It is the knife that was copied by Fallkniven for the F1. It’s a great design made for skinning large game. However the waterway would be a better all-around choice.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I would say the waterway for your uses, and I'm actually a fairly big cold steel fan. Between those 2 I'd only choose the cold steel if i were cutting things in an environment where there was a high likelihood of edge damage occurring. The waterway also looks better to me, as a bonus.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Someone1

Post by Someone1 »

The waterway. No question about it unless you want a knife with retarded warranties and terrible aesthetics.