Victorinox "Champ" model?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Re: Victorinox "Champ" model?

Post by JD Spydo »

bearrowland wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:19 am
IMG_20190717_101656.jpgHere is mine. It's a late 80s-early 90s model with the gray mag glass and pliers without crimpers. This is the second one I've owned and this one is a keeper ☺️
That is a nice Champ model. The last one I bought had just about maybe 4 more tools than your does. It was I believe about an early 2000s or 2005 era I believe they told me.

But again as nice and good quality multi-tools as Victorinox makes now a days it's really hard for me to justify owning one any longer. The two Victorinox multi-tools I have will do virtually everything the Champ model will do. And I'm willing to bet that Victorinox is probably going to put more emphasis on their upcoming multi-tools than they are with many of their SAK models.

It's almost like they've made some of their own products obsolete.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I Agree. I'm packing a Swisstool Spirit on my belt today that has almost all the tool kit of the Champ at half the size and heft, plus great pliers!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Walking in the woods yesterday, used the swisschamp saw and large blade to cut and trim fly-switches. Holy **** but Canadian mosquitoes and deer fly can be persistent and vicious.
Used the magnifier a little later to check for a tick head.
The mosquito repellent on my hands has etched my fingerprint on the celidor scales. I don’t know what that says about either the plastic or the repellent!
I love my swisstool spirit, but I left behind this time as it’s locking blade is potentially problematic when travelling and there’s no corkscrew/minidriver. Also the scissors are smaller than those of the 91mm SAKs.
James Y

Post by James Y »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:28 pm
Walking in the woods yesterday, used the swisschamp saw and large blade to cut and trim fly-switches. Holy **** but Canadian mosquitoes and deer fly can be persistent and vicious.
The mosquito repellent on my hands has etched my fingerprint on the celidor scales. I don’t know what that says about either the plastic or the repellent!
I love my swisstool spirit, but I left behind this time as it’s locking blade is potentially problematic when travelling and there’s no corkscrew/minidriver. Also the scissors are smaller than those of the 91mm SAKs.
From what I've heard, you have to be careful with the cellidor (plastic) scales on SAKs, as they are sensitive to things like DEET and other solvents. One good reason to love the Alox scales on certain models. I still carry my Executive and Spartan, though I'm careful about what contacts the scales, as well as being extra careful not to drop them.

Jim
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

The non locking blade is the biggest reason why the Champ is my travel m/t. That mag glass is getting to be a big deal the older I get 😊
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

MNOSD member 0032
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

It's a good knife.
threezero1

Post by threezero1 »

bearrowland wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:19 am
IMG_20190717_101656.jpgHere is mine. It's a late 80s-early 90s model with the gray mag glass and pliers without crimpers. This is the second one I've owned and this one is a keeper ☺️
Have the same one too!
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I agree.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

bearrowland wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:20 pm
That mag glass is getting to be a big deal
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Exactly Bloke!! 😂👍
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

James Y wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:36 pm
ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:28 pm
From what I've heard, you have to be careful with the cellidor (plastic) scales on SAKs, as they are sensitive to things like DEET and other solvents. One good reason to love the Alox scales on certain models. I still carry my Executive and Spartan, though I'm careful about what contacts the scales, as well as being extra careful not to drop them.

Jim
I’ll get out the plastic polish when I get home. I’m at all not bothered as it was bought as a user, and it was about half the price of a Manbug
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

That's a handsome looking unit you have there "bearrowland". What blows me away about Victorinox SAKs and Multi-tools both is that all the tools on these SAKS or Multi-tools actually work and work very well too.

I'll keep saying it Victorinox really gives you good stuff for no more money than you have to spend on them. For high quality and relatively low price Victorinox and Frost Mora both give you the best quality for the money in the entire market IMO.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Thanks JD!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032