Victorinox "Champ" model?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Victorinox "Champ" model?

Post by JD Spydo »

Just seem a photo of a really huge Victorinox "Champ" knife model that Brother BLOKE just showed us in another thread. However I've never seen one with that many blade selections before that he just showed us :eek: . I've owned a couple of those Victorinox "CHAMP" models in the past and lately I've wondered if they are still making a "Swiss Made" version of that "mega-model"? The one I had most recently had like 35 to 40 blade selections on it. It was so big to where it was kind of even awkward to use. I actually had another one over 10 years ago that had just a few more blade selections so I figure that there must be more than one of those "mega-model" SAKs. But I've never even seen one like this version that BLOKE just showed us :rolleyes: .

First off how many of you have a Victorinox CHAMP model? Second how many different selections of the CHAMP model are there available? Also which CHAMP model is the biggest and how many blade selections does it have? But you all can also show any of the "SUPER-SIZED" Victorinox Swiss Army Knives on this thread if you like. But I would like to restrict it to the VICTORINOX brand and I would also like to restrict this thread to the "Swiss Made" line up of super-sized SWISS ARMY Knives.

I kind of wish I would have kept at least one of those Victorinox CHAMP models. It seems like with the huge amount of multi-tools out there on the open market that you are seeing fewer of the SAKs with that many blade selections? OK let's talk about The Champ model or other models of "mega-model" Victorinox Swiss Army Knives?
ChrisinHove

Re: Victorinox "Champ" model?

Post by ChrisinHove »

I think those monsters are for collectors only!

The biggest I have is the modern Swisschamp and I like it. It’s basically an urban multi-tool. I’ve lost count of the hotel door handles, sunglasses/spectacles, zips and bits of jewellery I’ve fixed with it. No good for pocket carry, though.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:14 am
I think those monsters are for collectors only!

The biggest I have is the modern Swisschamp and I like it. It’s basically an urban multi-tool. I’ve lost count of the hotel door handles, sunglasses/spectacles, zips and bits of jewellery I’ve fixed with it. No good for pocket carry, though.
Yeah the last one I had was no good for EDC or general pocket carry either. I actually had a belt sheath which was also a type of holster that I got for it. But as good as the Victorinox multi-tools are I really so no need for even owning a Victorinox CHAMP model. But the two I had were Swiss made and they were high quality models too.
But I've never seen one like that model that BLOKE displayed. That one really has to be nothing but a collector piece IMO.
James Y

Post by James Y »

The only one of the really thick Victorinox models I have is the Swisschamp. It's really well-made, but in all the years I've owned it I've barely carried it. It stays in a drawer in its sheath. I always EDC two SAKs anyway; a black Executive, and either a red Spartan or Alox Pioneer. They complement each other perfectly, and each sees a good amount of use every day. If I need more tools in a bigger package than that, I'll carry my Victorinox Swisstool Spirit multi-tool on my belt. It's a lot more durable and easier to handle in use than the Swisschamp.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:13 am
The only one of the really thick Victorinox models I have is the Swisschamp. It's really well-made, but in all the years I've owned it I've barely carried it. It stays in a drawer in its sheath. I always EDC two SAKs anyway; a black Executive, and either a red Spartan or Alox Pioneer. They complement each other perfectly, and each sees a good amount of use every day. If I need more tools in a bigger package than that, I'll carry my Victorinox Swisstool Spirit multi-tool on my belt. It's a lot more durable and easier to handle in use than the Swisschamp.

Jim
You make excellent points James. Because I'm completely convinced that virtually no one would ever use a Victorinox CHAMP model in a practical, everyday use setting. It's just not a convenient or ergonomic folder to use with all of the great Multi-tools available>> and with Victorinox being one of the top dogs in the multi-tool sector it just goes without saying. Yeah those Champ models are more of a novelty or odd-ball collector piece than they are a practical tool. It might be a great "Show-OFF" folder for a young kid to impress his pals with at a Boy Scout camp. But that tool as big and awkward as it is>> can not be used as a practical EDC tool IMO.

But still the one Victorinox CHAMP model that BLOKE showed us on that thread is different than any of the other CHAMP models I've ever seen in years gone by. It's almost twice as big as either one of the Victorinox CHAMP models I owned. That particular model that BLOKE showed us has got to be some kind of specialty Sprint Run or a really radical promotional of some sort that Victorinox did as an enticement.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

EDIT: Oops! I took this thread to be about the Champion, not its SwissChamp successor. I have the former (bought it about 1970). About the latter, see: https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=SwissChamp.

Shower-thought: Since the arrival of Leatherman 25 years ago, SAKs ceased being knives and became multitools. I love mine (Classic, Mini-Champ II, Adventurer, Picknicker, Handyman, and Champion) no less for that.

I agree. A SAK of more than 6 or 7 layers amounts to a curiosity, not a useable tool.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I regularly carry a Vic. Craftsman which is a six layer SAK, almost as big as the champs. I cannot really carry and use any over 6 layers. I really like my craftsman though. It has sadly been discoed for many years now.

The truth is that these large SAKs are no bigger or heavier than the plier based multitools but they do get awkward to use when they get over six layers. Also, while the pliers on the Vic Craftsman are quality and useful they are better for light duty tasks and don’t compete with a Leatherman at all.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ChrisinHove

Re: Victorinox "Champ" model

Post by ChrisinHove »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:51 am
James Y wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:13 am

Jim
You make excellent points James. Because I'm completely convinced that virtually no one would ever use a Victorinox CHAMP model in a practical, everyday use setting. It's just not a convenient or ergonomic folder to use with all of the great Multi-tools available>> and with Victorinox being one of the top dogs in the multi-tool sector it just goes without saying. Yeah those Champ models are more of a novelty or odd-ball collector piece than they are a practical tool. It might be a great "Show-OFF" folder for a young kid to impress his pals with at a Boy Scout camp. But that tool as big and awkward as it is>> can not be used as a practical EDC tool IMO.

But still the one Victorinox CHAMP model that BLOKE showed us on that thread is different than any of the other CHAMP models I've ever seen in years gone by. It's almost twice as big as either one of the Victorinox CHAMP models I owned. That particular model that BLOKE showed us has got to be some kind of specialty Sprint Run or a really radical promotional of some sort that Victorinox did as an enticement.
Plenty of people edc the 8 layer Swisschamp. It’s tools are definitely limited - but wide ranging and always better than nothing.

I don’t usually edc it, but it will certainly be in my bag for our car trip around Ontario and Quebec over the next 2 weeks - my Surge would be overkill and my Spirit doesn’t have the essential corkscrew/mini screwdriver combo, plus the locking blades are a real potential issue.

I actually much prefer the 6 layer Handyman, but with the plus scales it’s considerably more expensive than the Swisschamp. Go figure!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:32 pm
I regularly carry a Vic. Craftsman which is a six layer SAK, almost as big as the champs. I cannot really carry and use any over 6 layers. I really like my craftsman though. It has sadly been discoed for many years now.

The truth is that these large SAKs are no bigger or heavier than the plier based multitools but they do get awkward to use when they get over six layers. Also, while the pliers on the Vic Craftsman are quality and useful they are better for light duty tasks and don’t compete with a Leatherman at all.
Now that I could live with ( a SAK 6 layers or less). But I most certainly wouldn't want any multi-purpose tool any thicker than that though. There are some Victorinox SAKs with anywhere between 5 to 8 blades that are not even that thick that I feel that do make ideal Swiss Army Knives ( SAK) in size and scope. But again with the selection of all the super good multi-tools that Victorinox and about 4 other competent companies are currently producing it is making the SAK a harder sell as time goes on IMO.

Also Victorinox is getting better at having tools on their SAKs that really work and work very well. One prime example is that "Saw" of theirs on their "SWISSTOOL and SWISSTOOL X multi-tools. I can't tell you all how many times I've been up a tree or just need a small piece of wood cut and I used that little saw in a pinch>> very convenient.

But I totally agree with BFK that you can go so thick on one of those SAK models to where it's much more of a bother and much more cumbersome than it is a help. That's the great thing about many of these modern multi-tools>> they put a lot of tool power in a relatively small package so to speak. There will come a day to where Multi-tools will out sell SAKs about 20 to 1>> and that day probably isn't too far away IMO. Right now they just need to figure how to get the cost of a top quality multi-tool more affordable.
James Y

Post by James Y »

One of the great things about SAKs is that their basic models, like the Spartan, are so light and compact that you can carry more than one. If I have my Swisstool Spirit on my belt AND my Spartan in a pocket, the latter has the corkscrew/mini eyeglass screwdriver that I use so much. And my Executive (in yet another pocket) takes care of light-duty and nail grooming, etc. The Exec also has fine scissors. I wear cargo pants, so neither SAK takes up much space. That way I don't worry about needing to have "one tool that has everything I'll ever need in only one unit."

I sometimes value redundancy, so I also have a pair of non-spring-loaded, folding scissors on a separate keyring. The folding scissors are stamped "Munkees". That separate keyring also has a mini Photon light, a JetScream pealess whistle, and a mini-prybar. It's nice to have a pair of springless scissors in case the spring on the SAK ones breaks. That particular keyring has no keys on it, and also takes up little space.

If I were going somewhere where locking blades are in issue, I might opt for the Swisschamp for my belt-worn multi-tool instead of my Spirit. But where I live, that won't be a problem, as far as jurisdictions go. Of course, in places like sports venues, courthouses, amusement parks, zoos, etc., ANY knife is prohibited, locking or not, in which case I wouldn't be taking any knives or tools at all inside.

However, I don't wear a multi-tool on my belt every day. My Executive and Spartan are always with me.

Jim
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I have a Swisschamp and don't find it all that bulky to carry, but I pack mine on a belt sheath. I've known a number of people who EDC an ZAVT, which includes a bit driver. The Craftsman, which I'm lucky to have as well, is a whole lot handier and has that torquey back mounted Philips. It, and it's stablemate the Master Craftsman, went to space with the Shuttle and is still being used in the ISS. The great thing about that is decreased gravity takes care of the weight issue!😁
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Swiss champ and others are just too big for me. I carry a pioneer X when I’m caring one, which is often, or a Cadet. However if you only have use of one hand been there a lot less attractive. When you want something like that Buck x tract, Which was a one hand opening multi tool. Unfortunately he has been discontinued but you can still find it on eBay.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

My daughters suitcase lock jammed yesterday at 3am after a 4 hour delay, 7 hour flight, 2 hour drive, and trying 999 combinations.

My swisschamp metal saw/file cut through the locked metal zip pulls in about a minute....
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

👍👍
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

MNOSD member 0032
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I've carried the "Big 3" (Swisschamp, Champion and Handyman) on me for EDC for many years
Almost alway in a belt pouch, "man bag", or hanging with a pocket clip or hanger but never loose in the pocket, they are bricks

In fact today I'm carrying my favorite of those three, the Champion, which is also the most often carried because usually I carry a bigger pliers based tool in addition, and that makes the Vic's pliers quite useless.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

ThePeacent wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:04 am
I've carried the "Big 3" (Swisschamp, Champion and Handyman) on me for EDC for many years
Almost alway in a belt pouch, "man bag", or hanging with a pocket clip or hanger but never loose in the pocket, they are bricks

In fact today I'm carrying my favorite of those three, the Champion, which is also the most often carried because usually I carry a bigger pliers based tool in addition, and that makes the Vic's pliers quite useless.
Ah... The forum is getting back to normal. Thanks, Peacent. :)
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Yeah PEACENT there has most definitely been a void of great pics and super commentary with you being temporarily gone :D >> Heck if I leave for 2 to 3 weeks they'll probably have a celebration :o :D >>> But it's just flat out great to have back here at Spyderville.

I had seen a lot of your really good, Swiss Made Victorinox pieces you had acquired over the years. I still say for the money the two companies that truly give you a great deal knife-wise are Victorinox and Frost Mora. Actually I don't see how they make their stuff as good as they do for the price.

Some Cold Steel stuff is a great deal for the price but not as good as VIC And MORA are.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

You're right. Quality for the price on both brands is phenomenal!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
James Y

Post by James Y »

Victorinox is the largest single cutlery company in Europe, and probably the entire world. The number of quality products they produce in a single day is absolutely astounding, and the fact that their quality is so amazingly consistent is almost unbelievable. I don't make such statements casually.

Jim
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

IMG_20190717_101656.jpg
Here is mine. It's a late 80s-early 90s model with the gray mag glass and pliers without crimpers. This is the second one I've owned and this one is a keeper ☺️
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032