Fish: What's Everyone's Favorite? Salt or Fresh Water?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Fish: What's Everyone's Favorite? Salt or Fresh Water?

Post by JD Spydo »

I've just got through eating a wonderful fish dinner this evening. I eat fish at least 3 to 4 times a week on average>> needless to say I love all kinds of different fish to eat. This fish I ate tonight was supposed to come from Brother BLOKE's neck of the globe in Australia. The fish is called "Barramundi" and it is delicious. But again I like several types of fish to eat. I like mostly stuff out of fresh water but there are a few salt water fish I love as well.

Red Snapped that I used to eat down in the Florida panhandle was just so good I often almost ate myself sick on it. But we used to smoke it over an open grill with either Mesquite or Pecan wood. And that would make for some gourmet eating too.

What types of fish do you all like. For those of you who know your stuff about nutrition which varieties do you think is best? Also how do you all cook your fish. OK let's talk about one of GOD's most perfect foods>> Fish that is. I also love Walleye, Crappie, Channel Catfish, Bluegill and just about any type of trout or salmon. Halibut is one I really love but you almost have to be a billionaire to eat it anymore. OK let's talk fish shall we?
Tdog

Re: Fish: What's Everyone's Favorite? Salt or Fresh Water?

Post by Tdog »

I fish all the time in Florida (years ago commercial fished offshore). Inshore for me it's hard to beat flounder or a nice whiting caught in the surf. Both are very tasty. I often bake flounder fillets with crab stuffing. mm mmm good. Catch and fillet a LOT of specks (crappie). Fried speck fillets done with panko and peanut oil are a favorite. The lake I fish in doesn't allow gas motors so the water is clean and fish are very tasty. Caught a 9lb. 2 oz. bass while trolling for specks a week ago. Miracle I caught it. They usually throw the small speck jigs on the first jump.

Hard to say a favorite on offshore fish, so many tasty ones. A nice scamp grouper is mighty fine. Key to all is "fresh". Shrimp should start running in Daytona shortly. Chunkin a net in the heat of late is no fun but a fiver of nice shrimp makes it worthwhile. Mahi aren't a favorite but should be catching a bunch with my son in a couple of weeks. If they aren't happening, the yellowtail snapper should be biting. Yes I love to fish. And oh btw, lobster season opens in August with the two day madhouse in the end of July. Whoopee :)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Salt water fish tastes better to me. Flounder, Cod, etc. Grouper can be really good too. If freshwater fish is on the menu then I only like fresh caught stuff. Not farm raised. That tastes like the meal they feed it. For me, Perch, crappie and wild trout ( not farm raised). Wild catfish can be really good. I do not like farm raised Tilapia and I will not eat carp outside of true starvation situations.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Fresh water for me. Bass, Walleye, Trout 😋
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:15 pm
Last edited by JD Spydo on Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:15 pm
Salt water fish tastes better to me. Flounder, Cod, etc. Grouper can be really good too. If freshwater fish is on the menu then I only like fresh caught stuff. Not farm raised. That tastes like the meal they feed it. For me, Perch, crappie and wild trout ( not farm raised). Wild catfish can be really good. I do not like farm raised Tilapia and I will not eat carp outside of true starvation situations.
Interesting that you mention Carp. Because I've got a lot of friends like you that won't eat one for any reason. But I've found the secret to eating Carp. If you get them out of a clear stream or extremely clean water like some of out spring fed rivers here in Missouri. It seems like the cleaner the water the much better they taste. Also I won't eat one that's over 8 pounds or so. Because it seems like they are like catfish in a way>> because the older they get the stronger they taste.
But some good mid sized Carp out of our Current River here in Missouri are not bad at all.
We also have a sub-species of Carp here in Missouri that they call "Buffalo" fish. They are wider/broader and they fight like living **** on a rod and reel. And the Buffalo fish has a really firm meat on them which I find better than a regular Carp.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Most of my fishing has been salt water, as have most of the fish I've eaten. Don't care for strongly flavored fish, so my favorites among the fish I've eaten are flounder, sole, cod, weakfish (aka sea trout), and bluefish. Many people thing bluefish has a strong flavor, but only because they don't remove the trianglura cross sectioned stripe of dark, oily, flesh that runs the length of the fish just below the skin before cooking it. Only freshwater fish I've tried are trout, walleye, and catfish. Walleye wasn't bad, just not as good as the saltwater fish I mentioned. Catfish, at least what I had, was a bit strong for my taste and trout, while mild, was way too bony for me. Only ate it once, after that always practiced catch and release.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Deacon wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:14 am
Most of my fishing has been salt water, as have most of the fish I've eaten. Don't care for strongly flavored fish, so my favorites among the fish I've eaten are flounder, sole, cod, weakfish (aka sea trout), and bluefish. Many people thing bluefish has a strong flavor, but only because they don't remove the trianglura cross sectioned stripe of dark, oily, flesh that runs the length of the fish just below the skin before cooking it. Only freshwater fish I've tried are trout, walleye, and catfish. Walleye wasn't bad, just not as good as the saltwater fish I mentioned. Catfish, at least what I had, was a bit strong for my taste and trout, while mild, was way too bony for me. Only ate it once, after that always practiced catch and release.
I like all of those white meat, salt water fish you've mentioned. I got some North Atlantic Cod ( supposedly from Iceland) about a year ago and I got the best compliments from my friends I ever got. I would eat that Cod any day of the week. Also when I spent a lot of time in the Western part of New York State many of the restaurants there served Haddock>> and I loved that Haddock a lot.

But I've yet to have a Salt Water fish I like better than that Red Snapped we used to get down in the Florida panhandle. And cooking it over a grill and wood smoking it was fabulous. We used Mesquite and Pecan wood for the best results. For fresh water fish to me it's hard to beat anything in the Pike family>> I constantly crave Walleye.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:24 pm
I've just got through eating a wonderful fish dinner this evening. ...
Hey Joe, sounds like a good score mate. Our Barramundi are both a prized sport fish and table fish. Unfortunately I haven’t eaten Barra in a few years now ‘cause we don’t get them this far south.

With any luck you got a wild saltwater fish. Barra get around both fresh and saltwater plus we’ve been farming them for quite a while now and I see them around but I won’t eat them. There’s nothing wrong with them but you just can’t beat the wild saltwater fish.

We eat saltwater fish regularly here. Species I’d rattle off you’d likely not be familiar with but I like chasing and eating our Flathead most. One fish we have in common are your Bluefish, our Tailor. I’d caught more than you could poke a stick at when we lived in Western Australia. They seem to get biggest there too but I reckon they smell and won’t eat them. I don’t think they like me either. One nearly bit the web out between my little finger and ring finger on my left hand and another one back flipped while I was trying to unpin it and drove a 5/0 hook into my right thumb past the barb while it was still pinned. :eek: Ah, hahaha! :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Grew up eating fish from the sea; manini, uhu, mullet, etc. Nowadays my wife makes alumahan (mackerel) - fries it in olive oil and the heads get crispy and can be eaten.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

z4vdBt wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:32 am
Grew up eating fish from the sea; manini, uhu, mullet, etc. Nowadays my wife makes alumahan (mackerel) - fries it in olive oil and the heads get crispy and can be eaten.
I"ve only ever eaten mackerel either canned or smoked. And it isn't bad at all. I could eat a lot of it in a survival situation. But I actually like a lot of different fish canned or smoked. I bake most of the fish I get anymore. I rarely fry fish at all>> but I don't fry much of anything because of the associated health risks. But about once a year I get ahold of some fresh channel catfish and I'll fry them up in either Sunflower Oil or Safflower Oil. Those two oils tend to take the heat better than a lot of oils that people fry in.

But to me it's hard to go wrong baking any type of fish. And you can just let your imagination be your guide as to how you flavor it or what types of herbs and flavor enhancers you sprinkle on it.

The Lord Jesus ate a lot of fish as recorded in the Bible and if it's good enough for him it's most certainly something I want to eat a lot of :cool:
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I like both fresh and saltwater fish. Truly prefer saltwater but getting it fresh is a bit more difficult in my locale. Ahi Tuna, Wahoo, Mackerel, Swordfish and Yellowfin are my fish of choice.
Heading to the beach in 2 weeks, hoping to do some surf fishing and catch something tasty.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I like cod, tuna, swordfish and Pacific salmon. Here in the Chicagoland area, restaurants on the lake serve up Great Lakes whitefish, but I don't know quite what it is.

I use to eat in sushi bars, but given a chance for bad or infected fish, I quit eating raw fish.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
James Y

Post by James Y »

Our family used to eat fish around once a week, but in recent years, I almost never eat fish anymore. When I used to, it included red snapper, salmon, etc. We also ate some tuna, but I didn't' like tuna. My dad used to like salt water fishing, and for several years, I was the only one in the family who went with him. We caught croaker, perch, and one time, I caught a big corvina. All of which we cleaned and ate. In my teens, I lost interest in going fishing.

When I was living in Taiwan, I don't know what the fish was; it was one big fish brought out onto the table. There were also anchovy-sized fried, breaded whole fish that I think we're small eels that were delicious.

At this point, I'd probably prefer freshwater fish, as I'm no longer certain about the safety of eating ocean fish, especially from the Gulf of Mexico or the Pacific.

Jim
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Saltwater: Pompano, Pomfret, Ribbon Fish (aka Belt fish), Wahoo, Mahi Mahi, Boston Pollack, Haddock, Ling Cod, Black Cod (aka Butterfish and Sablefish)

Freshwater: Walleye, White Crappie
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I like various fish, both salt and fresh, but for some reason salt water fish seems to taste better to me. I like sushi fish like tuna and salmon and also ones like eel, when served, and more "mundane" fish like sardines and canned tuna if good-quality. I am a bit cautious about eating certain types of fish and too much of it because of the dangers of heavy metals and toxins in the fish that we are warned of.

I also like fish sticks and fish and chips, and fish mixed in with stews.

Bloke, about Australia: How likely is it for people to accidentally hook sharks if they go fishing in deep water there?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I like salt water fish the best but I also like freshwater fish such as bass Crappie and bream. What I like to do with property or brown is actually scanned them like a catfish and then roll them in meal and throw them on the grill Yum. My wife cooks the best trout anybody has ever eaten in this world. Somehow she combined it two famous recipes for trout and the combination turned out to be so awesome that it makes your tongue slap your brains out.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

We have more sea than river nearby, so it’s cod (& chips), haddock (& chips), plaice (& chips) for me. Also grilled fresh sardines & mackerel. I looooove anchovies.

Anyone else like kippers?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:44 pm
Bloke, about Australia: How likely is it for people to accidentally hook sharks if they go fishing in deep water there?
Hey SEF, I know you love Shark Tales but I’ve probably told you all I know. Ah, hahaha! :)

They’re more of a pest when they eat the fish you’ve trying to land. :eek:

The Mako’s head weighted 100kg and the picture was taken onboard a pro fishing boat earlier this year, 390km south of Sydney. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:58 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:44 pm
Hey SEF, I know you love Shark Tales but I’ve probably told you all I know. Ah, hahaha! :)

They’re more of a pest when they eat the fish you’ve trying to land. :eek:

The Mako’s head weighted 100kg and the picture was taken onboard a pro fishing boat earlier this year, 390km south of Sydney. :rolleyes:
I've actually eaten Mako Shark on two occasions. The two best types of Shark Meat I've eaten are Mako and Blue Shark. Both had a really wonderful flavor to them. I'm kind of surprised that not many of you have tried the Red Snapper that we used to catch on the Florida Panhandle. To me that is the best Salt Water fish I've ever eaten. Yeah I think at this point the Red Snapper and Haddock might just be my two Salt Water favs. You could put Swordfish in there too on an outdoor grill smoking it with mesquite and/or pecan wood.

Two nights ago I got treated to some Walleye. A great food joint we have here in Blue Springs, MO called "Culver's" has Walleye about 3 to 4 times a year and they really cook it up good too.

Also in Fresh water fish I like about any kind of trout ( especially steelhead and rainbow).