Concert Security vs. "Assault Leatherman": Guess Who Lost

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SkullBouncer

Concert Security vs. "Assault Leatherman": Guess Who Lost

Post by SkullBouncer »

Last year and this, on the 4th of July, I and three longtime close friends were all treated to adjoining concert seat tickets at Red Rocks Amphitheater by the fourth member in our group, 'Martin' (what a guy, huh! :) ) The Headliner was and is one of my faves and getting to catch the event live every July Fourth on the 'Rocks that I could attend is soooo worth the effort, believe me -- maybe check 'em out on YouTube:

BLUES TRAVELER!!

Back then I wrote in a thread topic about the security screening process to enter the same venue on the same date, same headliner, one year earlier -- not just this year as well -- but now with 31 consecutive gigs under their belts every Independence Day. Now THAT ain't no small feat, folks; Red Rocks is today one of the most sought after outdoor venues to play; world renowned. I grew up on those rocks -- over the course of decades I've hooked up with countless friends all with the same knowledge and sets of experiences hard earned from early on -- completely freestyle (no ropes or hardware) and getting to know virtually every elusive cave, cliff and every nook and cranny largely park- wide back then -- like the proverbial backs of our hands.

We climbed bottom to top (despite the cops down the exterior of this, the 400-foot 'SHIP ROCK' on the north). This particular rock formation consists of a relatively vast interior, replete with caves and successive levels, and 99.999% of visitors are completely oblivious to the hidden wonders which lead to the topside and summit where we would nestle in a recessed eroded bowl sculpted in the rock, openly taunting the police below, against hot- air megaphone threats of arrest / 90 days in jail and a $999.00 fine even if the cops seriously thought of catching us. Never came close... but people have met their maker on the order of hundreds over the years. The crackdown slowly crept up over that time since the park opened in the 1930s -- As far as my 'circle' and I went, we'll call it luck, balls and maybe just a touch of insanity -- fortunately yielding us 100% safety conscious successes, yet the years of barehanded insane races to the top of Ship Rock ended quite a while back, **** -- we're now in our late fifties!! :D

But as the third song was picking up steam, a strong rain squall blew in from the NW, and a good number of faint- hearted tenderfoot types hastily packed their stuff up and hauled *** out of there. The seasoned and experienced concert hangers- on among us knew that in 10 minutes or so the squall would likely move out, which it did; the stormy skies gave way to a starkly rich canopy of stars against the ebony black of infinity reaching beyond all horizons. The Milky Way was familiar, brazen and stunning.
And sure as shootin', the rest of the show went off without a hitch. All we had were light jackets, but they were adequate.

Elevation from the valley on up to the amphitheater base begins approximately at 6.5 thousand feet on up to 7k at the upper level which were formed by the rise of the Rockies / Continental Divide some 50 million years back, today yielding the long 'Hogback Ridge' of ancient Red Rock and associative foundational formations dating back 400 million years (give or take) -- from mindboggling angled depths into the Earth's mantle to ultimately be thrust diagonally upward and westward from the aforementioned Birth of the Rockies so many eons past.

The Blues Travelers and the opening act (new to me, and they were BADASS. Their name escapes me ATM -- I'll look them up). BOTH delivered their Magic, and the entire experience had was beyond Magical.
=================================================================
But I digress -- a Lot. Not the intended focus of this thread! ;)
=================================================================
Last year when the group of us was being screened and admitted, I committed a royal faux pas by assuming I was good with my EDC which included a Leatherman Wave, a Chinook 1 PE rfp, and a Chinook 2 CE lfp.

Bought both and other Chinooks in my collection NIB, so there's +/- $800 on the line for the two I do carry. Anyway, security last year was more laid back to say the least. I was granted permission to leave the venue's interior and took a shuttle back down to where we had parked, put the knives in the trunk, and successfully re- entered, joining up with the group once inside. Only then did I realize that I had my Leatherman Wave on my belt, but the screening wand didn't alert the second time through, plus the same security guy re- screened and admitted me. DEF was a relaxation of the protocols at the time.
=====================================================================

NOW: this year's 4th of July's show went differently, security- wise. Martin bought the same group of us adjoining seat tickets again (DUDE!! :D ), and upon parking we walked up to the lower security checkpoint off to the right of the stage.

I left the Chinooks in my safe at home, and settled on just the Leatherman and my little Persistence I've grown fond of -- one of the first Spydercos I'd ever bought, and for a great price at a time when SFO was having a sale years back. Well, the Persistence WAS left in the car -- but not the Leatherman.

So this security gal (very professional and helpful) did her darned job; I don't fault her for that -- so I pulled out my Leatherman and presented it as a multi- tool -- BUSTED. Denied access, and to make matters worse my group had already passed through the checkpoint and impatiently awaited me to frantically hide the Leatherman in a location I was unfortunately unable to remember after the show was over. Bustling with concertgoers, and as far as our now impatient group went, I would not neglect them further, so I just made the call and we left.

Again, WHAT A SHOW -- but this year they went after my Leatherman with me expecting to breeze right through, given the memory of the previous year trying to not have to sacrifice my Blades / Tools.

The venue is booked solid night to night.
Now, I have not yet returned for a second time to try to locate the tool's original vicinity, and narrowing it down in a quest to successfully reclaim my Leatherman --
-- ****, I can't even GUESS at the odds of repatriation.

======================================================================

And so, to assuage my angst of parting ways with the Leatherman Wave, I diligently and patiently invested a good amount of time on the 'bay to best inform myself of choices in replacing the one currently MIA.

I've settled on the new Leatherman Charge-Plus / Titanium; the first I've seen with the new CPM- S30V Blade Availability! One hand opening of the blades via asymmetric thumb holes; comes with the 18 piece bit set and nylon belt pouch -- a huge step up from the Wave. If you haven't seen one, I'd wager you will be impressed when you do.

Best price and game plan I've settled on is $169.00 at Home Depot -- not in stock at the store I use but I will order one online from among a satellite store's local inventory -- two days in waiting delivery to my nearby HD -- and a full $100.00 more than I paid for the original Wave (bought it on close- out and discount from HD years ago).

So that's where things sit currently. I will go again at some point to see in the daylight if I can find anything that looks familiar, hopefully leading me to its location. That's somewhat beyond my control, as I'm prepared for and expecting total loss of the Wave.

Again and on the lighter side, I've committed myself to acquire the new Ti Leatherman Charge Plus, regardless of whether I find the original Wave. I did my homework; I will accept whatever outcome befalls me. WISH ME LUCK!! -- I hope I've learned my lesson Well. ;)

================================================================
:spyder: :spyder: Stay Sharp --
-- SB / BRUCE :cool: :cool:
SG89

Re: Concert Security vs. "Assault Leatherman": Guess Who Lost

Post by SG89 »

New Graham has some Wave models in stock
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

Thank you for that; much appreciated! However, even if the former Leatherman Wave is somehow re- acquired / rescued, the new purchase of the titanium scaled Leatherman Charge Plus will still move forward. (That's how my modest upper end Spyderco collection took off and steadily grew the way it has, in the form of satiating my overactive appetite as a serious edged weapons aficionado, user and devotee over the span of many years; not to exclude my firearms collection.)

Tomorrow's another day -- either way, I'll find some semblance of closure and upwardly recover from there.

========================================================================
:spyder: :spyder: SB / BRUCE :cool: :cool:
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Only thing better than a new knife is 2 new knives lol
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

Yes, Ma'am!! :D :D
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

have you had a chance to check out the new Leatherman Free models?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
silvershade255

Post by silvershade255 »

I once had to abandon a sog flash II in an airport trashcan. Hate to hear similar fates. Did you find it by chance?
"Seven for One"
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:32 am
have you had a chance to check out the new Leatherman Free models?
I hadn't looked into the Free line until you brought it up, thanks!
They are certainly attractive, and the P4 particularly caught my attention. :)
The line to me is akin to the Byrd line of Spydercos, both of which are very appealing; each very cool, utilitarian and value oriented in their own rite!

Spent some more time on the Leatherman website, and familiarized myself with other lines I hadn't considered before.

The 'Tool 300' really caught my eye, and its more in the neighborhood of the Surge, Wave and the Ti Charge Plus, as far as layout and price range. The Tool 300 is absolutely another I would like to eventually purchase.

The Ti Charge Plus most likely will remain at the forefront, as far as the order of ranked purchases!
...Man, I can DEF see how addictive collecting the upper Leatherman lines and models can become, alike my Spyderco collection and other product lines previously mentioned. ;)

-- Thanks Again!!
=====================================================================

:spyder: :spyder: Stay Sharp --
-- SB / BRUCE :cool: :cool:
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

silvershade255 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:25 pm
I once had to abandon a sog flash II in an airport trashcan. Hate to hear similar fates. Did you find it by chance?
Yeah, it sucks. But, I can see why they deem such measures necessary.
Same thing as taking a blade into a Broncos Home Game, or concert event at the Pepsi Center, for instance.

The Wave has, to date, not been recovered. As crowded as it was that night, I can easily see that someone (or more) could have been watching where I stashed the Leatherman. :confused:

Last edited by SkullBouncer on Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

dp
Last edited by SkullBouncer on Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

Here's One Drop- Dead Amazing Leatherman Model:
https://www.leatherman.com/mut-29.html

Leatherman MUT Military EOD Stainless Steel Multi-Tool, With Black Oxide Coating and Molle Brown Sheath + 42 Piece Bit Kit + Black Bit Extender + Mut Multi-Tool Wrench
$199.99

Something in which some of you might also be interested -- DEF on the Short List for me! :D :D

====================================================================

benben

Post by benben »

If I had to guess the number of concerts I've been to, 100+

The Blues Traveler show in 1995 at the Charlotte Hornets training center in Fort Mill, SC is a top 3 for me, and I've seen some pretty incredible shows! The Hornets training center was basically a super nice gymnasium, the number of seats it has would purely be a guess, no idea? I remember being shocked at how tight security was getting in, had to walk through a scanner and then at another station we got checked by a hand wand. But once you got inside......look out, it was a pretty wild night and a rowdy crowd!

Once Blues Traveler took the stage they played either 2 or 3 songs then took a 15/20 break backstage? But they came back out with a vengeance, they played for almost 3 straight hours, absolutely killed it! That was my first time seeing them, that night I became a fan for life!