NFL Preview of 2019-2020

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Sober_Survival

Re: NFL Preview of 2019-2020

Post by Sober_Survival »

There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. John 15.13
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Whiny overpaid prima donnas.....I gave up on the NFL many moons ago.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

OldHoosier62 wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:09 pm
OH I hear you loud and clear on that one Oldhoosier ;) IN the sport of baseball it truly killed the spirit of the athletes. None of these "woosies" could play head to head with the likes of Pete Rose or George Brett or even Brooks Robinson for that matter. The case you make applies to baseball much more than it does to football IMO.

But hardly anything is the same as it was in the 70s and 80s IMO.

But there is still some adrenaline left in the NFL>> Even the NBA has gotten lazy compared to the Jordon, Chicago Bulls or the Showtime L.A. Lakers.
Those were all dedicated athletes.

But I can't argue with you that most of these guys are getting way overpaid. But I guess if I was on the recieving end I wouldn't gripe because I could sure put a helluva Spyderco collection together with that kind of loot :D
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

OldHoosier62 wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:09 pm
I agree. The NFL stopped being entertaining years ago. Now I spend my time and money on other interests (like Spyderco! :D )
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

As far as the Tyreek Hill drama goes he is just one out of thousands of sports figures who just can't behave themselves properly. Football in particular seems like it draws those with a thug-like mentality. Let's face it the sport is not for those who take ballet lessons, read poetry or for those who crochet sweaters either for that matter.

And this latest complaint about the players who suffer concussions>> well after all it is a "contact sport". But I can assure you that the sport of boxing, UFC or full contact karate are all far worse.

I never thought in my lifetime I would see a day where it costs almost $70 to park a vehicle at Arrowhead Stadium. But there are plenty of folks that are more than willing to pay it. As long as the popularity keeps rising so will the price tag.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Even though its just the preseason, anyone else excited to finally see some action tomorrow? I know I am.
-Nick :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:56 pm
Even though its just the preseason, anyone else excited to finally see some action tomorrow? I know I am.
The one thing about the KC Chiefs I'm anxious about is their speedster draft pick Mercole Hardman. I do want to see what he's capable of in pre-season. So far I've heard that he's almost as fast as Tyreek Hill. I've also heard that he looks really good in training camp.

Also the Chiefs snagged two great defensive players in the off-season i.e. Frank Clark and Tyrann Mathieu. And they finally got a new defensive coordinator. Last season was a heartbreaker but Patrick Mahomes is going to surprise a lot of people this upcoming season. He's got a defense behind him now and he's also got a couple of new weapons that I'm most optimistic about.

I'm also interested to see how the Cleveland Browns do after acquiring all the high dollar talent they landed in the off-season. They probably stacked the deck more than any other team I can think of at the moment. It's either going to be "Boom Or bust for the Cleveland Browns. I can't believe they got Kareem Hunt & Beckham Jr. both. There's a reason that Andy Reid didn't go for O'Dell Beckham Jr.

I wish that we ( the Chiefs would have gotten LeVeon Bell instead of the NY Jets.

I do believe it's going to be a most interesting season for a lot of teams here in 2019>> and I look for maybe the Raiders to be surprise sleeper.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Normally pre-season games to me are about as boring as watching grass grow in your front yard>> but the Chief's Saturday night game truly was a thriller of sorts. Oh I know their victory was meaningless in the pre-season but they brought out some super new talent that I was frankly really optimistic about. That new speedster that they drafted i.e. Mercole Hardman who can run just about as fast as Tyreek Hill scored a TD on a "reverse" play and this guy I'm sure will be a starter on the team right away.

Also they showed some talent trying out their new running backs. Mahomes still looks as great as he was last year. Kelce looks even better than Tony Gonzales did at this point in his career. But how they corralled all that new talent in the off season frankly blows me away.. This is one of the very few years where I've been kind of interested in the pre-season. I just can't wait till that opening game with Jacksonville starts. They must win that one if they have any hope of the type of season they had last year.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Jacksonville is nothing to worry about for the Chiefs, I would pick them to win that game 10/10 times.

I usually don't like putting too much stock into the preseason either. I typically like watching just to see how their players are progressing and to try to get an idea of what the final roster might look like. After watching last Thursday, I was going to post something similar about the Patriots first preseason game! Even though they were just playing the Lions, the whole team looked great. Their roster is deep all around this year!

The entire team was on top of their game; offense, defense, special teams and coaching! The drafted talent this year is really impressive. Their newest receiver, N'Keal Harry, is a stud and going to be a problem for other teams. Their new defensive end, Chase Winovich, already looked like a pro and had some nice plays already! The re-addition of Jamie Collins is huge and paired with Dont'a Hightower they have about 500 lbs at inside linebacker ready to stuff the run! Overall though, their defense hasn't looked this deep in years. I genuinely believe they have the best defense in the league this year!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

And as of not too long ago, today, Josh Gordon has officially been reinstated to the league!
As unreliable he has been to stay on the field in the past, I believe he's going to play this entire season! All reports about his rehab have been positive and I like to think he truly understands his potential on this team and will work even harder to stay on track.

I was already excited for this season, but this news has me more excited than I thought I could be! :D
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Andrew Luck retired today... :confused:

Said he's "mentally worn down." It's a shame to see, really! He's incredibly talented but his O line was just letting him get his a** kicked back there. He had a lot of potential and actually still might. If he takes a couple years off to get his mind right and back to good physical health, I'm sure there would be teams out there willing to give him a work out when he's ready. He's only 29 right now, so he could potentially benefit from a couple years off and come back at 31 ready to play. Either way, hoping the best for him in the future!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Andrew was getting slaughtered in Indy, the Colts were no way going to trade him. This is the only way out for Andrew
Cant wait till he returns:)
Holy Cow......wait a year or two until Brady retires, then join Belichick and the Patriots lol.....that would be crazy man
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That would be incredible. I wonder how that works, since he's under contract with Indy?? Or once he retires he's free to come back and play for whoever would want to pick him up? Glad I found out last night, one of my fantasy drafts is today at noon!

I've always liked him and hope he's happy with his decision. A real shame fans were booing him off the field and burning their jerseys. Very passionate player and has always showed a lot of emotion. I hope for the best for the guy.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Spyder_Flick

Post by Spyder_Flick »

As a member of the Ravens Flock, it will be interesting to see how Jackson develops as a passer. I think we drafted some good WRs and after signing Ingram, he should be surrounded by a good cast.

For the first time in a while, maybe ever, the defense may be the weakness. Losing Suggs, Mosley (biggest surprise) and Weddle are going to hurt. I am glad that we were able to replace Weddle with someone of Thomas' caliber.

The North will be another dog fight. If Cleveland can put everything together, they will be a tough team. Pittsburgh lost there 2 best players, so could be a long season. The bungles are the bungles. Talent but awful coaching and QB. Let's see what they can do with a new coach.
My :spyder: : Native 5 LW
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Spyder_Flick wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:33 pm
As a member of the Ravens Flock, it will be interesting to see how Jackson develops as a passer. I think we drafted some good WRs and after signing Ingram, he should be surrounded by a good cast.

For the first time in a while, maybe ever, the defense may be the weakness. Losing Suggs, Mosley (biggest surprise) and Weddle are going to hurt. I am glad that we were able to replace Weddle with someone of Thomas' caliber.

The North will be another dog fight. If Cleveland can put everything together, they will be a tough team. Pittsburgh lost there 2 best players, so could be a long season. The bungles are the bungles. Talent but awful coaching and QB. Let's see what they can do with a new coach.
Since Ray Lewis retired I've seen the RAVENS kind of steadily go downhill. Flacco had that one good year in which he won the Superbowl and it's been mediocre ever since.
I'm surprised that Denver took Flacco. But I guess he could still be a good back up QB.
My jury is still out on the Ravens new QB Lamar Jackson. Now the Ravens have historically been a good team on defense but the sad fact is they have a lot of re-building to do IMO.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm so glad this boring pre-season is just about done with. But it does seem like the Chiefs did acquire a couple of new, high powered offensive weapons i.e. Hardman and Thompson.
Everyone seems to think that the Cleveland Browns are Superbowl bound. I have my doubts.
But I do believe that the Raiders are doing some serious re-building.

If the Chiefs can win that first game of theirs against Jacksonville I do believe they be off to the races and might win their next 5 of 6 games. I do believe that first game with Jacksonville will be a big test for their new defensive unit and new defensive coordinator. Sept 8 can't come soon enough for me :)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm definitely a Chiefs fan with you this year Joe!! In my $150 buy in fantasy league, I grabbed both Mahomes and Kelce! Hoping for lots of connections and td's!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:23 am
I'm definitely a Chiefs fan with you this year Joe!! In my $150 buy in fantasy league, I grabbed both Mahomes and Kelce! Hoping for lots of connections and td's!
Well I kind of have to admit under extreme embarrassment that I've never played or even learned how to play the bets on "Fantasy Football" :o >> I've got a few friends that are really obsessed with Fantasy Football but I've never been interested enough to learn it because I really can't afford to gamble much at this time.
So I'm saying this just based on my expectations on what Mahomes and the rest of the KC Chiefs offense will do this upcoming season. Frankly I don't see how anyone can lose betting on Mahomes, Kelce, Tyreek Hill and their new speedster Hardman. We also have two radio shows here in KC that strictly and only deal with Fantasy Football.
But with the weapons the Chiefs have this upcoming season I sure wouldn't bet against them or any of their players either for that matter.
Spyder_Flick

Post by Spyder_Flick »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:44 am
Spyder_Flick wrote:

Since Ray Lewis retired I've seen the RAVENS kind of steadily go downhill. Flacco had that one good year in which he won the Superbowl and it's been mediocre ever since.
I'm surprised that Denver took Flacco. But I guess he could still be a good back up QB.
My jury is still out on the Ravens new QB Lamar Jackson. Now the Ravens have historically been a good team on defense but the sad fact is they have a lot of re-building to do IMO.
I agree with you. They have the pieces, they just need to produce. Our offense needs a proven leader, and hopefully Ingram can fill that roll along with Yanda.
Our defense is what I am worrying about. Especially our LB core. Our ILB are inexperienced and we have had a tough time getting to the QB with our pass rush the last few seasons.
My :spyder: : Native 5 LW
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Spyder_Flick wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:06 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:44 am
Spyder_Flick wrote:

I agree with you. They have the pieces, they just need to produce. Our offense needs a proven leader, and hopefully Ingram can fill that roll along with Yanda.
Our defense is what I am worrying about. Especially our LB core. Our ILB are inexperienced and we have had a tough time getting to the QB with our pass rush the last few seasons.
I always rooted for the Ravens especially when they took on the Evil Empire ( Patriots). And Suggs, Lewis and Ed Reed were all defensive monsters that I would have liked to have had on the Chief's roster. But time moves on and things change and that's the hallmark of a good coach is to be able to change with the times. Andy Reid the Chief's head coach seems to be able to do just that but for some strange reason he just can't seem to win the big one :confused: Hopefully now that we have the best QB since we had Joe Montana we can now get over that hump. Getting rid of Bob Sutton who was one of the Chief's worst defensive coordinators I do think is going to change that dynamic of the team.

But your Ravens have a great fan base and I'm confident that they will be back at some point. Lamar Jackson I do believe will develop into a great QB but it may take a year or so. When the Ravens won that 2001 Superbowl they basically did it with defense for the most part. Because Trent Dilfer sure wasn't a prime time QB by any definition. But I do wish your team luck against the Evil Empire. Maybe you guys can be the new Luke Skywalker in that division :D