NFL Preview of 2019-2020

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Re: NFL Preview of 2019-2020

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:04 am
Andrew was getting slaughtered in Indy, the Colts were no way going to trade him. This is the only way out for Andrew
Cant wait till he returns:)
Holy Cow......wait a year or two until Brady retires, then join Belichick and the Patriots lol.....that would be crazy man
I do believe that Andrew Luck will return to the NFL at some point. There's just too much football in his blood to ride out on the sunset at age 29. Just like Jason Witten returning to the Cowboys I think Luck needed a year or maybe two years off to physically and mentally to recovery from his never ending, constant injuries. Personally I think he did the right thing under the circumstances. And he'll return with the Colts too.

Now there is a possibility that he could go the XFL route when he returns to football >> because his dad is commissioner of that XFL league and very few are aware of that. And there wasn't much said about it at his retirement announcement.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

If Andrew Luck does return to the NFL at some point, I would imagine he returns to the Colts as well. I'm sure he would love playing with Belichick and the Patriots though. Can only imagine their potential together!

They drafted QB Jarrett Stidham from Auburn in the 5th round this year and he has been playing great the whole preseason! A lot of people are already projecting that he will be the next QB when Tom Brady retires. Brady still has a couple years under belt though ;). So it gives Jarret Stidham plenty of time to learn and develop behind him!
-Nick :bug-red
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:00 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Andrew was getting slaughtered in Indy, the Colts were no way going to trade him. This is the only way out for Andrew
Holy Cow......wait a year or two until Brady retires, then join Belichick and the Patriots lol.....that would be crazy man
I do believe that Andrew Luck will return to the NFL at some point. There's just too much football in his blood to ride out on the sunset at age 29. Just like Jason Witten returning to the Cowboys I think Luck needed a year or maybe two years off to physically and mentally to recovery from his never ending, constant injuries. Personally I think he did the right thing under the circumstances. And he'll return with the Colts too.

Now there is a possibility that he could go the XFL route when he returns to football >> because his dad is commissioner of that XFL league and very few are aware of that. And there wasn't much said about it at his retirement announcement.
JD,
I think theres no doubt Luck, will be back.
I also think it a shame he wound up in Indy, and they used him the way they did. Does anyone ever see Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers take shots like Luck did? Have Brady or Rodgers ever suffered a freakin lacerated kidney?
Just Unbelievable they couldn't protect him better than they did.
Andrew Luck could've been the next Brady or Rodgers.
But, I do agree JD, I think Luck will return to the NFL.
But, I also truly believe that the Colts will be the last place he comes back too. I think Andrew really made a statement leaving when he did.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:24 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
MacLaren wrote:

JD,
I also think it a shame he wound up in Indy, and they used him the way they did. Does anyone ever see Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers take shots like Luck did? Have Brady or Rodgers ever suffered a freakin lacerated kidney?
But, I also truly believe that the Colts will be the last place he comes back too. I think Andrew really made a statement leaving when he did.
But I still think it's highly possible that Andrew Luck just might go the XFL route depending on what kind of money he could get because of his dad being the league commissioner>> which would give him the keys to the kingdom so to speak. But to side with what you're saying and to be objective he might feel obligated to return to the Colts because of Jim Isray letting him have all of that $25 Million signing bonus without having to return any of it. Which kind of tells me that maybe the two of them have that planned already.
But as crazy as pro-sports can be at times I still don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that he just might go into his own dad's XFL league>> because I've seen far more weird things than that happen in pro sports. I'm also believing that Jerry Jones knew in advance that Jason Witten was coming back after taking a year off. Especially as much of a beating that most of those tight ends endure during a typical season in the NFL.
Spyder_Flick

Post by Spyder_Flick »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:06 am
Spyder_Flick wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:06 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:44 am
Spyder_Flick wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:33 pm
As a member of the Ravens Flock, it will be interesting to see how Jackson develops as a passer. I think we drafted some good WRs and after signing Ingram, he should be surrounded by a good cast.

For the first time in a while, maybe ever, the defense may be the weakness. Losing Suggs, Mosley (biggest surprise) and Weddle are going to hurt. I am glad that we were able to replace Weddle with someone of Thomas' caliber.

The North will be another dog fight. If Cleveland can put everything together, they will be a tough team. Pittsburgh lost there 2 best players, so could be a long season. The bungles are the bungles. Talent but awful coaching and QB. Let's see what they can do with a new coach.
Since Ray Lewis retired I've seen the RAVENS kind of steadily go downhill. Flacco had that one good year in which he won the Superbowl and it's been mediocre ever since.
I'm surprised that Denver took Flacco. But I guess he could still be a good back up QB.
My jury is still out on the Ravens new QB Lamar Jackson. Now the Ravens have historically been a good team on defense but the sad fact is they have a lot of re-building to do IMO.
I agree with you. They have the pieces, they just need to produce. Our offense needs a proven leader, and hopefully Ingram can fill that roll along with Yanda.
Our defense is what I am worrying about. Especially our LB core. Our ILB are inexperienced and we have had a tough time getting to the QB with our pass rush the last few seasons.
I always rooted for the Ravens especially when they took on the Evil Empire ( Patriots). And Suggs, Lewis and Ed Reed were all defensive monsters that I would have liked to have had on the Chief's roster. But time moves on and things change and that's the hallmark of a good coach is to be able to change with the times. Andy Reid the Chief's head coach seems to be able to do just that but for some strange reason he just can't seem to win the big one :confused: Hopefully now that we have the best QB since we had Joe Montana we can now get over that hump. Getting rid of Bob Sutton who was one of the Chief's worst defensive coordinators I do think is going to change that dynamic of the team.

But your Ravens have a great fan base and I'm confident that they will be back at some point. Lamar Jackson I do believe will develop into a great QB but it may take a year or so. When the Ravens won that 2001 Superbowl they basically did it with defense for the most part. Because Trent Dilfer sure wasn't a prime time QB by any definition. But I do wish your team luck against the Evil Empire. Maybe you guys can be the new Luke Skywalker in that division :D
The worst part is I live in Patriots country. Everyone in my family except for me is a Pats fan.
My :spyder: : Native 5 LW
Spyder_Flick

Post by Spyder_Flick »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:45 pm
MacLaren wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
MacLaren wrote:

JD,
But I still think it's highly possible that Andrew Luck just might go the XFL route depending on what kind of money he could get because of his dad being the league commissioner>> which would give him the keys to the kingdom so to speak. But to side with what you're saying and to be objective he might feel obligated to return to the Colts because of Jim Isray letting him have all of that $25 Million signing bonus without having to return any of it. Which kind of tells me that maybe the two of them have that planned already.
But as crazy as pro-sports can be at times I still don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that he just might go into his own dad's XFL league>> because I've seen far more weird things than that happen in pro sports. I'm also believing that Jerry Jones knew in advance that Jason Witten was coming back after taking a year off. Especially as much of a beating that most of those tight ends endure during a typical season in the NFL.
Would he be able to join the XFL if Indy still owns his contract?
My :spyder: : Native 5 LW
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Spyder_Flick wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:41 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:45 pm
MacLaren wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

JD,
Would he be able to join the XFL if Indy still owns his contract?
Sure he could. I guess you and many others here were not around when the USFL ( United States Football League) was in operation. That league took a lot of players that later on went to the NFL and vice versa. Also there have been other small leagues in the past 15 years>> however most of them got players that were virtually washed up or couldn't make it in the NFL. There are also guys who go to the Arena Football league and vice versa.

Now if he returns to the NFL then he's contract bound to the Indy Colts. But he's free to be in the XFL if he so desires when he gets healed up from all his injuries.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Dang JD,
I had no idea that Luck's dad was named Commissioner and CEO of the XFL
You may be on to something there.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:45 am
Dang JD,
Well I don't know that for sure that Andrew Luck would go to the XFL but it would be a viable option if he wanted to take it. And with his dad running the entire XFL league he would sure have some advantages if he chose to go that route>> heck he might even be a head coach or work with his dad running the league for that matter.
Also I believe the XFL is going to make it this time around. They've got better TV contracts and they've got some big money backing it from what I'm told. I do believe that Andrew Luck is going to probably take at least 9 months to a year off to heal up good. And then it's anyone's guess as to what path he's going to take.
I think this time around the XFL is going to go over much bigger and better. They've been planning this comeback for a long, long time and they've learned from a lot of other people's mistakes too. Only time will tell.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:03 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:45 am
Dang JD,
Well I don't know that for sure that Andrew Luck would go to the XFL but it would be a viable option if he wanted to take it. And with his dad running the entire XFL league he would sure have some advantages if he chose to go that route>> heck he might even be a head coach or work with his dad running the league for that matter.
Also I believe the XFL is going to make it this time around. They've got better TV contracts and they've got some big money backing it from what I'm told. I do believe that Andrew Luck is going to probably take at least 9 months to a year off to heal up good. And then it's anyone's guess as to what path he's going to take.
I think this time around the XFL is going to go over much bigger and better. They've been planning this comeback for a long, long time and they've learned from a lot of other people's mistakes too. Only time will tell.
Thanx JD
That's very interesting!