The N.B.A.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Re: The N.B.A.

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:22 pm
Yeah man. If the Lakers could've landed just Kawhi Leonard alone, it would've been game over baby .....
Yeah and I thought after he made that special meeting with Magic Johnson and Jeanie Buss I truly thought it was a "done deal" :( . These guys are getting so arrogant and so two-faced it's just beyond belief :confused:

And you think that Leonard would have wanted to play with the Lakers :confused: . Ever since Dr. Buss passed away the kids just don't have the business savvy that he had :( It wasn't that long ago that Dr. Buss got Pao Gasol for literally a song and got rid of Kwame Brown ( a complete dudd) at the same time. Gasol truly helped win two rings for Phil Jackson and crew.

And the Lakers put way too much confidence in Andrew Bynum who never panned out like they thought he would. Well maybe they can put some type of trade together>> But if the Buss family doesn't let Magic Johnson or someone who has a basketball brain do the deal then the Lakers are probably on their way down I'm afraid :(
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

What's your point with the height posts? Your not saying anything, just listing heights :confused:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

The NBA is ruled by tall people. People over 6ft tall. A team comprised of people less than 6ft tall cannot be fielded and win the championship.

It's not about talent, it's about height.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I whole heartedly, 100% disagree with you. Your saying a team of 7 footers would win a game against a team of say, 6-5" guys?? Not a chance.

They may have the size and length...but they lack the quickness, endurance, ball handling skills of the smaller guys. Smaller players would wipe the floor with them. Especially on fast breaks. Yes they would be at a disadvantage on defense and get posted up often, but if the 7 footers miss...it's an easy 2 the other way...every time.

There have been so many 7ft + guys in the NBA that have been absolute flops. Shawn Bradley, Hasheem Thabeet, Greg Oden, George Muresan come to mind right off the bat. Supposed to rule the NBA, but never got it together one way or another.

Those few players I listed earlier in the threas are very rare to even make the NBA. Tell Iverson he couldn't do something because of his height...because it wasn't about his talent??? Even Steph Curry is only around 6-3"...I'd say he's quite incredible as well.

-Rick
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Just because a guy is 7 ft tall doesn't mean that he can play the game of basketball efficiently. Just look at Kwame Brown for instance>> he was one of the biggest busts in NBA history>> even Michael Jordon was fooled on that one as well as Phil Jackson too :rolleyes: I've met so many guys in my life over 6' 5" tall that didn't have the coordination to tie their own shoes or even walk and chew gum at the same time.

No there are many, many more aspects to the make up of a great basketball player than just their height alone. I will agree that there is a big percentage of the guys who play in the NBA that are tall by comparison>> but I would take John Stockton who was only 6' 1" tall and put him against most of the guys in the league when he was playing against at the time.

Heck just the fact you are tall wouldn't even make you a good volleyball player either for that matter. Height is a valuable asset in basketball but there are at least a dozen talents and gifts that make up a great athlete. And just because a guy is a big guy doesn't necessarily mean that he can play pro football either. No and I don't mean to be mean spirited or arrogant but that just isn't the whole picture. And just because a man is little doesn't automatically mean that he could be a great race horse jockey either. There are so many aspects to the make up of a great athlete. And so many of the so-called experts often get fooled as well.

Appearances are often deceiving in almost every aspect of life.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Thank you Joe! It's basically saying because some guy is a 6-3, 250lbs gym rat that he would win in a street fight against a guy that's 5-10, 180lbs that has a wrestling or boxing, MMA background.

Size doesn't always matter...talents, skills, and God given athleticism do though.

-Rick
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:22 pm
Thank you Joe! It's basically saying because some guy is a 6-3, 250lbs gym rat that he would win in a street fight against a guy that's 5-10, 180lbs that has a wrestling or boxing, MMA background.

Size doesn't always matter...talents, skills, and God given athleticism do though.
In boxing just take a hard look at the old Heavyweight boxer Mike Tyson>> he really didn't have the ideal make up of a great boxer when you look at the stat sheet. But his athletic prowess, inner courage and relentless drive proved many of the experts in that sport totally wrong. Him and Evander Holyfield both were mainly cruiserweights and/or light heavyweights>> most experts didn't even evaluate either one of them as true heavyweights. And when it was all said and done both boxers went down as two of the best ever. But who would have predicted that at the beginning for either one of them?

There are just so many gifts and talents that make up any type of athlete. So many experts are fooled so often. You just don't know until you see what they got in a real life game with harsh competition. Case Closed ;)
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

How does this....
Naperville wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:33 pm
The NBA is ruled by tall people. People over 6ft tall. A team comprised of people less than 6ft tall cannot be fielded and win the championship.

It's not about talent, it's about height.
Turn in to this?
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:00 pm
I whole heartedly, 100% disagree with you. Your saying a team of 7 footers would win a game against a team of say, 6-5" guys?? Not a chance.
I already posted a chart showing that height has grown approximately 6 inches in the NBA over the last 50yrs. It's obvious they are using the attribute of height to win games. Height is not a talent, it is a physical attribute.