Horrible: Store broken into and Spyderco knives, etc stolen.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Horrible: Store broken into and Spyderco knives, etc stolen.

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

https://www.idsnews.com/article/2019/07 ... ay-morning

I hope this is appropriate to post here? I pray they catch whoever did this and recover the stolen items. All stealing is wrong/evil but what caught my eye in the article was that six Spyderco knives were stolen.

From the article:

" Kovach said no safes inside Hoosier Workwear Outlet were tampered with. The owner told the police six Spyderco knives, 12 cans of pepper spray, two Carhart hats, a black bandana, approximately three backpacks and six or eight boonie style hats were stolen. He also thought sweatshirts could be missing from the store but was not sure. The owner valued the damage to the front window at $500. "
JonLeBlanc

Re: Horrible: Store broken into and Spyderco knives, etc stolen.

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Knives, pepper spray, backpacks, and a BLACK BANDANA. For the sake of shiny footprints, no politics, and a general lack of any certain knowledge regarding this incident, I won't say any more, but I am reminded of recent events. Troubling to be sure...
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:31 pm
Knives, pepper spray, backpacks, and a BLACK BANDANA. For the sake of shiny footprints, no politics, and a general lack of any certain knowledge regarding this incident, I won't say any more, but I am reminded of recent events. Troubling to be sure...

. . . to be sure . . .
SG89

Post by SG89 »

What recent events?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

white male caught on security camera
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:44 pm
recent events?
ABX2011 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:02 am
caught on security camera
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
What recent events?

Might just be the actions of the group that acts an awful lot like what they're suppose to be against. ;)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:43 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
What recent events?

Might just be the actions of the group that acts an awful lot like what they're suppose to be against. ;)
Yep, they're "anti" "something" Sorry I had to be cryptic, but like I said, I wanted to stay on the right side of the forum's policies, and anyway I reckon y'all can cipher out what I meant :cool:
Last edited by JonLeBlanc on Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Stealing is getting so bad here where I live that security firms are really doing an excellent business. I've been negotiating a deal to buy a Mountain Bike at a local Bicycle shop in the past 3 months. But the sales guy I've been working with has convinced me to also invest in a high quality Bicycle lock. He informed me that bicycles are stolen so much in our area that Bike Shops like his have to totally document any bike they buy or take in on a trade in. He also told me that Pawn Shops in the area won't even buy a bicycle unless you have the original sales receipt with the proper serial number.
Some of the bicycle locks I've looked at that come with a guarantee are well over $100. But it will probably be about Labor Day before I get the deal completely done because I'm certainly going to take his advice and also get one of those high dollar bike locks that he recommends. He also told me that construction crews locally are even getting heavy equipment ripped off ( bobcats and other equipment). We have a food bank even here in this middle to upper middle class town I live in. And on the days they are giving away food in the old part of the downtown area it's like they are waiting in line for Rolling Stones tickets on those days. Forget what they are telling you on the evening news>> because things are not good even in middle America folks. And where I'm living is like Ward & June Cleaver land by comparison.
Theft incidents like the one you just described will be quite commonplace as time goes on I'm sure of it.
jdw

Post by jdw »

It doesn't have to be this way. We the people actually still have the power by sheer numbers. Vote, organize, unionize for a living wage, and most of all, reach out to your neighbors.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jdw wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:17 am
It doesn't have to be this way. We the people actually still have the power by sheer numbers. Vote, organize, unionize for a living wage, and most of all, reach out to your neighbors.
I agree with you 1000% "jdw" ;) Because with the deterioration of the Labor Unions and the horrendous greed of the sharks on Wall Street our country has turned into a "Survival Of The Richest" scenario. You're either on the bottom rung of the ladder and getting virtually everything you need for free>> or you're in the working class and on a treadmill that is virtually impossible to get off of>> or you are one of the extremely thin veneer of folks at the top 3% of the scale that somehow got rich in spite of the predatory economic environment we are currently trapped into :( Really it's just about that simple overall.

Yeah it's getting to where the crime of "Stealing" is almost a sport that you letter in even in middle, Upper middle and some "Well To Do" areas of the country as well. And sad to say a lot of stealing is being done by desperate people who otherwise would have never taken that option. The solution is to somehow get Wall Street out of the equation and that's not going to be easy with the outlandish greed that our country has presently succumbed to unfortunately
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Mmm, I now regret saying what I did, I shouldn't have.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:51 am
jdw wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:17 am
I agree with you 1000% "jdw" ;) Because with the deterioration of the Labor Unions and the horrendous greed of the sharks on Wall Street our country has turned into a "Survival Of The Richest" scenario. You're either on the bottom rung of the ladder and getting virtually everything you need for free>> or you're in the working class and on a treadmill that is virtually impossible to get off of>> or you are one of the extremely thin veneer of folks at the top 3% of the scale that somehow got rich in spite of the predatory economic environment we are currently trapped into :( Really it's just about that simple overall.
It’s pretty much the same here.
Rpp

Post by Rpp »

You guys are scared of everything.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Rpp wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:04 am
The only thing that scares me are gross social injustices that continually go unaddressed.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jdw wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:24 am
Rpp wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:04 am
The only thing that scares me are gross social injustices that continually go unaddressed.
Not only that "jdw" the rising price of food here lately is going up at an exponential rate like I've never seen in my lifetime. The money we have in our pockets has virtually no purchasing power at all. The one Brother must be doing really good relatively speaking and if he is I'm happy for him. But the reality of the average citizen is not good right now. And because of it you are going to see more theft, more break-ins, more shoplifting and more looting. No I don't condone it at all and that is not the answer either. But unfortunately I'm just calling it like I see it.

As far as social injustice goes>> and yes it's bad in some places here in the USA. But you can generally get all the justice you can afford in this country. If you've got a good lawyer you can get off with a slap on the wrist for most offenses. But the guy/gal without a personally retained attorney is probably going to jail. That is the sad reality of our current justice system. And this report of SEF's is going to be quite common in the months ahead if they don't do something to create decent jobs for people.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Perhaps one remedy would be to have store display windows made from some form of laminated transparent polymer/shatterproof glass composite that is break proof and have everything well-anchored into solid steel?
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

One crime and you jump to the conclusion that the perps are antifa? Ridiculous.
He’s a bald guy because of his love of hats.
Construction worker because carhart. Duh.
Likes to fish and hunt because knives.
And his brother is a mail carrier hence the pepper spray. Put me on the case I will have this solved by mid-day.
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:09 am
unless you have the original sales receipt with the proper serial number.
Well then I'd be screwed as almost all my stuff is second hand or custom brazed frame jobs and most of what isn't custom (three of em) the rest is assembled from frame only to my specs. But then I wouldn't pawn a bike anyway, if I'm gonna part with one I wanna know it is going to someone who is going to ride and enjoy it.

Stealing seems to be a huge problem, whether it is smash and grabs like the stolen Spydercos, or bike thefts. (tho I've never had a bike stolen but then I rarely leave one unattended, and when I did commute by bike, I locked it to a fire escape stair three feet off the ground with two diff locks. Plus it was a high end roadbike spray painted to look like crap and converted to fixed gear...)
I think the problem is a general lack of respect for others, coupled with lack of penalty. Let's face it too many plea bargains and a lot of time cops don't investigate, maybe their resources are needed elsewhere whatever but when you stop penalizing people for doing stuff and they aren't taught why its wrong they will do it.
I might get flack for suggesting this but... didn't they use to hang horse thieves? Maybe we need to implement uplifting policies.
In all seriousness, however, it makes me sad to see that so many people tolerate intolerable conduct. Even as late as the early 90's I had friends growing up whose door was always unlocked, you just go in and say hi. Now everybody is ripping off everybody else and I shake my head and say what is wrong with us where did the respect go?
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
James Y

Post by James Y »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:18 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:09 am
unless you have the original sales receipt with the proper serial number.
I think the problem is a general lack of respect for others, coupled with lack of penalty. Let's face it too many plea bargains and a lot of time cops don't investigate, maybe their resources are needed elsewhere whatever but when you stop penalizing people for doing stuff and they aren't taught why its wrong they will do it.
I might get flack for suggesting this but... didn't they use to hang horse thieves? Maybe we need to implement uplifting policies.
In all seriousness, however, it makes me sad to see that so many people tolerate intolerable conduct. Even as late as the early 90's I had friends growing up whose door was always unlocked, you just go in and say hi. Now everybody is ripping off everybody else and I shake my head and say what is wrong with us where did the respect go?
I agree. Too much bad conduct is tolerated, and too many excuses for it are deemed acceptable. People who commit criminal acts are all too often given the benefit of the doubt, while law-abiding citizens have to jump through flaming hoops if they have to defend themselves/their families/property, or if they want simple justice or compensation from the criminals. The "law" is all too often on the side of the criminals. So when things change for the worst in regards to crime, people just parrot the phrase, "It's the new normal," without even stopping to consider the reason is because it's been facilitated by limiting the options for law-abiding people.

Jim