Garlic as a healing remedy?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Garlic as a healing remedy?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I was reading that garlic has been known for centuries or longer as having healing properties for various illnesses and health problems. Obviously everything has their up and down sides.

What do you all know about using garlic in this way?

For example,I read that garlic is good at breaking down mucus and reducing the effect of cold viruses and germs:

https://healthfully.com/488568-garlic-f ... stion.html

https://www.healthline.com/health/home- ... e-remedies

They say people with certain conditions need to be careful of too much garlic, and, it can lead to bad breath and body odor of the garlic-scented type. LOL.
ChrisinHove

Re: Garlic as a healing remedy?

Post by ChrisinHove »

When it comes to garlic, you can certainly have too much of a good thing! I’ve had some very embarrassing experiences....
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:31 pm
For example
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
I was reading that garlic has been known for centuries or longer as having healing properties for various illnesses and health problems. Obviously everything has their up and down sides.

For example,I read that garlic is good at breaking down mucus and reducing the effect of cold viruses and germs:

They say people with certain conditions need to be careful of too much garlic, and, it can lead to bad breath and body odor of the garlic-scented type. LOL.

Just have a lot of mouthwash or mints on hand. :D :eek:
SpyderEdgeForever

Haha good one Ankerson :)
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

it's a great prebiotic. i eat it whenever i can.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

There is some science behind some of the health claims for garlic. I often take the no smell capsules. I get them at Walmart.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

We use garlic in everything here, almost! We love it, literally. Don't know about health benefits, but it sure tastes good! Especially in pastas!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I agree!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

z4vdBt wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:35 am
it's a great prebiotic. i eat it whenever i can.
Garlic has a lot of great nutritional and medicinal properties. Whenever I get a cold, flu or any virus which is not very often anymore thank GOD>> I use raw garlic chopped up in Brown Rice dishes or I put it directly in Chicken soup and garlic will fight any kind of acute illness better than most anything you can get at a local drug store.

Garlic has had a reputation as an infection fighter for centuries. It also has blood purifying properties as well. Sure it doesn't do your breath much good but there are so many breath mints and mouthwashes on the market I just don't sweat that problem at all. When I'm not feeling well I get my hands on fresh garlic ASAP>> and it's a lot cheaper than going to an MD doctor who really doesn't do much for those types of ailments unfortunately.

Other natural remedies similar to garlic are "Oil Of Oregano", Colloidal Silver and massive doses of vitamin C.
Reject

Post by Reject »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:

:rolleyes: SEF’s second link about covers my morning tonic.

Mind you; it is a tonic built on moderation and compromise.

Fresh garlic would be better, but the stomach can’t take that, so a jar of roughly chopped is used. So each morning one teaspoon of a mix of mainly Garlic, with Ginger, a sprinkle of Turmeric, topped with Honey.

Have been on it for about a year. Getting the flu was a yearly thing, but no flu last year and good so far this year and we are in mid winter here.
:) Plus I seem to have a lot more energy this days.
How much can a Koala bear?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Garlic is my favorite seasoning, I put garlic and black pepper on almost everything I eat. I also eat a shocking amount of black pepper, you should read up on the benefits of that (not that I do it for health reasons, I just like the taste). I put about a tablespoon of black pepper on just a salad ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:34 pm
Garlic is my favorite seasoning, I put garlic and black pepper on almost everything I eat. I also eat a shocking amount of black pepper, you should read up on the benefits of that (not that I do it for health reasons, I just like the taste). I put about a tablespoon of black pepper on just a salad ;)
David I'm curious?? Do you eat raw garlic as I do with some dishes or do you cook yours? I don't use garlic salt or garlic powder I use real raw fresh garlic. And in your neck of the woods I would imagine that fresh garlic is probably easy to come by?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:18 pm
Evil D wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:34 pm
David I'm curious?? Do you eat raw garlic as I do with some dishes or do you cook yours? I don't use garlic salt or garlic powder I use real raw fresh garlic. And in your neck of the woods I would imagine that fresh garlic is probably easy to come by?
I use both but mostly the preground stuff. I use raw for cooking more so than seasoning.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I fell in love with it when I worked in a bakery years ago, munching on garlic rolls all day. My waist line paid the price though!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

MNOSD member 0032
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

bearrowland wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:45 pm
I fell in love with it
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Bloke, you are awesome!! 😂😂👍👍
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
SpyderEdgeForever

Wow, thank you! You have bolstered my confidence in eating garlic. It tastes good and it is healthy.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:06 pm
Wow, thank you! You have bolstered my confidence in eating garlic. It tastes good and it is healthy.
I don't know if it's available in their archives or not. But it was sometime around the early 90s that the Discovery Channel did a one hour show on the benefits and accolades of Garlic. I had a recorded VHS tape of that show but it got lost in the shuffle over the years. I would love to have a DVD of that show they did on GARLIC because it was the most informative of any I've seen on a natural plant. That was back in the day when the Discovery Channel was truly a treasure of a cable channel.

Since the scams of Mythbusters and many other absolutely degrading shows that channel stooped low to I hardly ever watch Discovery anymore :(

They have truly become the WWE of documentary channels :( Not even that good either.

There was a guy who was known to be a living legend in the field of herbal medicine. I can't remember his first name but he went by Dr. Christopher. And he wrote a huge reference book on herbs and natural remedies. He used to always sing the praises of GARLIC as being nature's anti-biotic without any bad side effects at all.

Thanks for starting this most interesting thread SEF :)
SpyderEdgeForever

Thank you so much JD my friend, I am honored and also these replies you posted are packed with great knowledge!

I have never heard of Dr. Christopher and don't know about him until you mentioned him. Here is something fascinating I found:

https://www.drchristophersherbshop.com/ ... cs127b.htm

If that is the same person, that looks like a great anti-cold remedy.

Like with anything one has to be careful because as the website has warnings, even herbal supplements can have side-effects or harm if not taken correctly and people should check with medical professionals. At the same time, what happens when medical professionals get corrupt and don't want competition and seek to suppress their competition by disinformation? Education and knowledge are the answer to that. Seek and ye shall find :)