Rice: Brown, Red, Black Ect,?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Rice: Brown, Red, Black Ect,?

Post by JD Spydo »

One food I've really been exploring lately and I've been trying out several different types of RICE from my local health food store. I never knew that RICE came in so many different varieties and types. Now I have been eating organic Brown Rice for a long time now but about 3 months ago a really nice lady friend of mine gave me a bag of Black Japonica Rice>> and it is delicious. Also I got some Himilayan Red Rice at my health food store and it's got an interesting flavor as well. There are two brands of organic Brown Rice I really love; they are TEXMATI and Konriko. Those two brown rice varieties have a really nutty flavor.

When I go to my favorite Thai restaurant they use a Jasmine white rice which has a rich satisfying flavor as well. I'm willing to bet that there might be some of you here that might know a lot about the different types of RICE. I discovered that there are only 5 states here in the USA that successfully grow good quality RICE.

Let's talk about the different types of RICE? What varieties of RICE have you all tried and which do you like best? I'm also wondering which is the most nutritious? And if you're from out of the USA I would like to know what type of RICE you have in your country?
James Y

Re: Rice: Brown, Red, Black Ect,?

Post by James Y »

Joe,

Growing up, our family ate rice with most (but not all) dishes. As a kid, it was white rice. As an adult, I only use brown rice. It's much better for you than white rice. The one I prefer is by a company called Diamond G. I'm not a nutritionist, so I cannot say what specific benefits it has over other rice, it is just what I like. I've tried some other, cheaper brands, and in one instance found what looked like a few tiny rocks in them, and they seemed 'dirtier' when rinsing before cooking.

I've tried long-grained rice, but I prefer my rice to be sticky.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:00 am
Joe,

Growing up, our family ate rice with most (but not all) dishes. As a kid, it was white rice. As an adult, I only use brown rice. It's much better for you than white rice. The one I prefer is by a company called Diamond G. I'm not a nutritionist, so I cannot say what specific benefits it has over other rice, it is just what I like. I've tried some other, cheaper brands, and in one instance found what looked like a few tiny rocks in them, and they seemed 'dirtier' when rinsing before cooking.

I've tried long-grained rice, but I prefer my rice to be sticky
JIm have you ever tried either one of those USA grown Brown Rice selections I mentioned ( Texmati & KonRico)? Both of those have a really smooth nut-like flavor to them. Also that Black Japonica Rice I mentioned has a smooth nutty flavor as well. I've heard that those black, red and other colored rice selections are very rich in minerals.

Also that company I mentioned from Louisiana USA i.e. "KonRico">> they have a specialty rice called Wild Pecan Rice and it truly does have a flavor very similar to real pecan nuts. Next time you go to a local health food store check out all the different rice selections that are available. Until that lady friend turned me on to that Black Japonica rice I never even knew it existed. I also just got a Chinese Black Rice at a local grocery store this past weekend I haven't tried yet but I'm gonna make some in the next day or so. This is a bigger food category than I even imagined.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

We usually just eat white rice, but my wife does some amazing things with it. Cooking in chicken stock gives it a great flavor, but she also makes the best Spanish rice ever! We found a chickem/tomato boullion that is used to actually make Spanish rice, and can be found in Walmart. Best to use the cubes, but the powder works as well just needs more.

She's also made yellow rice with turmeric for curry... Mmmm mm. Well have to try some different varieties though, can never have too much rice!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

White rice is rice that has had the grain and goodness removed. I did a thread on this a couple of years back.

I love brown, black, red, and wild rice. Rice can be as healthy as other grains, as long as it is not white.

I like cooking things with black or brown or red rice or even wild rice. Polish sausage red beans and rice go very good with those kinds of rice.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:05 am
White rice is rice that has had the grain and goodness removed. I did a thread on this a couple of years back.

I love brown, black, red, and wild rice. Rice can be as healthy as other grains, as long as it is not white.

I like cooking things with black or brown or red rice or even wild rice. Polish sausage red beans and rice go very good with those kinds of rice.
WE just made some "Red Beans & Rice" out of three types of rice as mentioned and it was great!. We just did that about 5 days ago. Wild Rice from what I understand technically isn't a true rice grain. I've been told by a Native American that I know that used to live in the state of Minnesota that Wild Rice is a type of grass seed that grows in Northern wetlands. A certain Native American tribe are the ones that harvest that "wild rice" in the northern wetlands and this guy convinced me that Wild Rice isn't really a true rice plant at all but a type of grass seed instead.

Now I do like Wild Rice and I mix it with a lot of rice dishes I make as well as stuffing mixes. But when you eat it you can tell that it's different than any rice grain out there.

Doc you are right on about those other grains of rice being delicious. You are also right that white rice is truly a rice that has been bleached and stripped of a lot of it's nutrients. It's almost the same as what they do making white bread which also has very few nutrients.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I make a mean turkey and wild rice soup. I usually use the Lundberg Organic Wild Rice Blend. It is Organic Long Grain Brown Rice, Organic Sweet Brown Rice, Organic Wild Rice, Organic Whole Grain Wehani Rice and Organic Whole Grain Black Japonica Rice.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I had open heart surgery in late 2017. In a class with a dietitian they told us to exclude white rice from our diet. Brown rice was OK. I did not ask about any other rice.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:46 pm
I make a mean turkey and wild rice soup. I usually use the Lundberg Organic Wild Rice Blend. It is Organic Long Grain Brown Rice, Organic Sweet Brown Rice, Organic Wild Rice, Organic Whole Grain Wehani Rice and Organic Whole Grain Black Japonica Rice.
I have used a wide variety of "Lundberg" rice and believe me they have a huge selection. Everything of their's I've tried has been great. That Black Japonica Rice and the Wehani Rice both are super good for all kinds of dishes. I also get a lot of bulk rice at a couple of the health food stores I frequent. Like I said in my intro it's hard to believe how many different variants of rice that there are on the planet.

But again you can't go wrong with any rice with Lundberg's label on it.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:06 pm
I had open heart surgery in late 2017. In a class with a dietitian they told us to exclude white rice from our diet. Brown rice was OK. I did not ask about any other rice.
It's like "Doc Dan" said in his post>> as long as it's not white rice you're OK to eat it and it will not give you any problems at all. Because all white rice has had it's bran and essential nutrients stripped from it>> no exceptions. Rice in it's natural state is truly one of nature's pure, trustworthy foods. Just stay the **** away from any type of white rice. Also stay the **** away from any quick cook type rice like "Minute Rice" or any other rice that can cook up quick. Because any organic, natural rice takes about 45 minutes to an hour and in some cases slightly longer to cook. And don't microwave it either. IT's one food that you've just got to do it the old fashioned way if you want something that tastes great and is very nutritional for you.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I haven't tried any of those other types of rice, only white in the past, and only brown now. Those other types sound good, and worth checking out.

Jim
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Brown and more natural rices are better for you but they sure don't store long term like white rices. I made the mistake of letting 80 or 90 pounds go bad. This was packed in Mylar in 5 gallon buckets with nitrogen too. White rice from that same time still is fine and eatable. It's a good food for sure but not the best for emergency stores unless rotated and used up. It's the higher fat content supposedly that reduces the lifespan.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Being an old fart from a rice every dinner family, I think I have eaten maybe 80% of all kinds of rice, every color, every length, every flavor. And as a PSA to all, I have to expose the lie and say that "wild rice" is NOT rice, it's actually a really tasty edible grass. I will admit that I like brown rice the best, but if you season any rice right I'll switch my loyalty in a second.

With that said, I will take a stand for rice, potatoes, pasta and bread. All you Carb haters can just hate, it just means more for me. :)

I've never understood why "bread & butter" was some kind of torture. :confused:
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:11 pm
I haven't tried any of those other types of rice, only white in the past, and only brown now. Those other types sound good, and worth checking out.

Jim
Jim just go to a good reputable high quality grocery store like Whole Foods or Sprouts or any good health food store. There are more types of really good tasting rice than you can even imagine. The health food store I go to a lot the two clerks there know a lot about the different rice selections. Sometimes the store owners know a lot about their products. I did a search engine stroll last night and there are dozens upon dozens of different types of high quality, natural rice to select from.

Like I said in an earlier post check out the "LUNDBERG" brands of different types of rice. You can't go wrong with any of the LUNDBERG rice selections. Their Black Japonica rice has such a nutty flavor to it that it really doesn't taste much like rice at all. That Himilayan Red Rice is also really tasty too.

Now the country of India has a rice I really love and I get it in the big bulk bags at the wholesale club when getting food for our church dinners. It's called "Basmati" rice. But make sure you get the Brown Basmati>> they have a white version and you don't want white rice at all just like Naperville said in his post. White rice is truly a junk food for all intent and purposes Now there are a lot of counterfeit Basmati Rice selections so be very picky about the brand and where you get it and the country of origin too. But there is a big Texas rice grower that grows their own version of Basmati rice and it's called "TEXMATI" and it is the bomb!! The TEXMATI organic Brown Rice is superb. It's just as good as the real stuff from India IMO. That TEXMATI goes good with about any dish you can serve it with.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Crux wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:15 pm
Being an old fart from a rice every dinner family, I think I have eaten maybe 80% of all kinds of rice, every color, every length, every flavor. And as a PSA to all, I have to expose the lie and say that "wild rice" is NOT rice, it's actually a really tasty edible grass. I will admit that I like brown rice the best, but if you season any rice right I'll switch my loyalty in a second.

With that said, I will take a stand for rice, potatoes, pasta and bread. All you Carb haters can just hate, it just means more for me. :)

I've never understood why "bread & butter" was some kind of torture. :confused:
Crux I just said that in my previous post about "Wild Rice" being a "Grass Seed" and not a real rice. Just check out my last two posts.

The whole thing about "Wild Rice" is interesting though because there are only two to three Native American tribes that are allowed to harvest it. There are actually three different types of wild grass that grow in northern American wetlands. Be it as it may the "Wild Rice" ( or wild grass seed) is a very nutritious food.

But I do applaud you for being aware of that>> because I've had two people call me every name in the book when I told them that. But even the Native Americans that harvest it know the straight scoop on that one.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I normally eat brown rice, white if it's the only option. :)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

've never understood why "bread & butter" was some kind of torture
Yeah, me too. We had to fill up with bread to get enough to eat as a kid. I still really love bread and butter to this day though I do try to limit my intake of both. Fresh still warm bread is one of my favorite things to eat and always will be. As far as butter is concerned Too much of any fats aren't good but some are required. I use butter as a treat now though and not as a standard.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

"I like cooking things with black or brown or red rice or even wild rice. Polish sausage red beans and rice go very good with those kinds of rice."

Me too Doc, and that sounds delicious right now!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

bearrowland wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:16 am
"I like cooking things with black or brown or red rice or even wild rice. Polish sausage red beans and rice go very good with those kinds of rice."

Me too Doc, and that sounds delicious right now!
Time to break out the Zataraines.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

😊. Oh yeah!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032