Favorite movie fight scenes

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Re: Favorite movie fight scenes

Post by James Y »

Boxer Rebellion (alternate title: The Bloody Avengers, 1976; filmed in Taiwan). Director: Chang Cheh. Action Director: Lau Kar-Leung.

Note: Video clip is poor quality. It looks like someone filmed an old VHS tape off his TV. But this is the only video of these fights I could find on YouTube. Boxer Rebellion was a very ambitious, high-budget movie at the time, with a good story presented on a massive scale, with hundreds of extras, which is very difficult to discern from these clips. There were few one-on-one fights, but this clip has a couple of them, both involving Chi Kuan-Chun.

The Westerner who fights Chi Kuan-Chun in the second fight was “Alexander Grand,” who appeared in numerous martial arts-related films shot in Hong Kong and Taiwan in the 1970s. His first movie appearance was at the very end of Fist of Fury (1972), as one of the foreigners who shoots Bruce Lee’s character. He did okay in the movies, but his acting was atrocious.

(From 0:00);Leung Kar-Yan vs Japanese soldiers; (from 1:45); Chi Kuan-Chun vs Russian officer{Alexander Grand}; (from 2:44): Chi Kuan-Chun vs Wang Lung-Wei:

https://youtu.be/2zpJnzfakWQ

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

“Battle,of the Legends: Bruce Lee vs Ip Man”

😄

A great little stop-motion animation short film, using two action figures(!). You can see that the mannerisms and movements are the same that both Bruce Lee and Donnie Yen have performed onscreen. It was clearly a labor of love.

https://youtu.be/yQT7aYpqtCs

Jim
Iole

Post by Iole »

More nuts and bolts about the stunt making on the show Warrior, not classic Hong Kong but today style.

James Y

Post by James Y »

Iole wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:33 pm
More nuts and bolts about the stunt making on the show Warrior, not classic Hong Kong but today style.

Great stuff! Thanks, Iole.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

RIP, Sonny Chiba.

https://screenrant.com/sonny-chiba-death-obituary/

Most Americans who knew about him, only knew him from Kill Bill Vol. 1, Fast & Furious: Tokyo Drift, and other American movie appearances. But back in the ‘70s, Sonny Chiba was considered Japan’s answer to Bruce Lee. He wasn’t nearly as refined as Bruce Lee was, but he far exceeded Bruce Lee in onscreen brutality, which sometimes included tearing certain body parts off of opponents. When his movie The Street Fighter was released in the US in 1974, it was considered the first movie to get an X rating for violence, although most of its violence would be considered relatively tame (or even a bit cartoonish) by today’s standards. Sonny Chiba was also a very good dramatic actor.

https://youtu.be/r4_iPBiKKsk

Jim
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I was watching McClintock with my wife yesterday and that fight on the mud hill was fun.

"somebody oughta belt you in the mouth. But I won't, I won't. The **** I won't!"
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:56 am
I was watching McClintock with my wife yesterday and that fight on the mud hill was fun.

"somebody oughta belt you in the mouth. But I won't, I won't. The **** I won't!"

Thanks, Doc!

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Big Brawl (alternate title: Battle Creek Brawl; 1980, USA). Director: Robert Clouse. Stunt coordinators: Pat E. Johnson & Jackie Chan.

This was Jackie Chan’s American movie debut. Many Americans think that Jackie Chan’s first American film was Rush Hour (1998); but it was actually 18 years earlier. Director Robert Clouse, who also directed Enter the Dragon, tried for years to recreate the success of ETD, and although The Big Brawl wasn’t a great film by any stretch of the imagination, it wasn’t awful. It wasn’t awful because it starred a young Jackie Chan. Just like Enter the Dragon was a mega hit because of Bruce Lee, not because Robert Clouse directed it. Clouse would later go on to direct inferior schlock movies like Force: Five, and most infamously, Gymkata.

The Big Brawl was released in the summer of 1980; it was the first time I saw Jackie Chan onscreen. The following year he also appeared in The Cannonball Run, directed by Hal Needham, and starring a plethora of Hollywood stars of that time, led by Burt Reynolds. A year later, I saw one of Jackie’s Hong Kong/Taiwan films, Dragon Fist, at a local Vietnamese-owned theater that showed kung fu movies from Hong Kong and Taiwan. I came to realize what all the hype was about, and that Jackie Chan really had been unable to show his full talents in The Big Brawl. The American stuntmen and actors simply couldn’t keep up with him, so Jackie had to slow down and suppress his full abilities to accommodate the American choreography of the time. Anyone familiar with Jackie’s hit movies in Hong Kong at that time can see that Jackie wasn’t even trying in The Big Brawl.

Stunt coordinator Pat E. Johnson, who was a student of Chuck Norris, later went on to become stunt coordinator for The Karate Kid. But it’s clear that he was in over his head trying to choreograph for Jackie Chan. It was like someone with a grade school level in stunt coordination trying to teach someone with a PhD in it.

The Japanese-American actor Mako (Makoto Iwamatsu), who appeared in literally countless Hollywood movies and TV roles, starting in the late 1950s, played Jackie’s uncle, who trains him.

This was one of the very first American movies (or at least the first I ever saw) that featured bali-song butterly knives.

The Big Brawl is set in the 1930s.

The Big Brawl, original 1980 trailer:

https://youtu.be/AAV8n83we_o

Final fights: Jackie Chan vs H.B Haggerty; Mako (Makoto Iwamatsu) vs thugs; Jackie Chan vs Ron Max (theater fight): Jackie Chan vs H.B. Haggerty:

https://youtu.be/K0gKRVJOb8A

Jim
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I remember seeing Jackie Chan in Hong Kong movies, or whatever, back in 1979. I dated a girl who was a fanatic about martial arts movies.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

Born To Defence (alternate title: Born To Defend; 1988, Hong Kong). Director: Jet Li. Action director: Tsui Siu-Ming.

This was Jet Li’s directorial debut. It was filmed during an “in-between” period for Jet Li; a couple years after the last of his “Shaolin Temple” series of films, and a few years before Jet Li experienced a career revival in 1991, with Once Upon A Time In China. The first time I saw this movie in Taiwan, I didn’t like it much. I watched it again several years later, and it wasn’t bad.

Kurt Roland Pettersson, the tall Swedish actor who played the arch-villain, was murdered in 2003 in Spain, during a street attack. According to police, his windpipe had been crushed with a “karate chop” to the throat, and he had also been beaten in the head with an object, probably a pipe.

Paulo Tocha, Jet Li’s boxing opponent, appeared in several Hong Kong and Hollywood movies, including a couple of Jean-Claude Van Damme films: Bloodsport, and Death Warrant.

Boxing fight: Jet Li vs Paulo Tocha:

https://youtu.be/U1JRmksLNCo

Jet Li vs Kurt Roland Pettersson:

https://youtu.be/CALTOxsaGPw

Final fight (French dubbed version): Jet Li vs Paulo Tocha; Jet Li vs Kurt Roland Pettersson:

https://youtu.be/ZM2DKPcUacY

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

:bug-red Master of the Flying Guillotine (alt. title: One-Armed Boxer vs the Flying Guillotine; 1976, Taiwan). Director: Jimmy Wang Yu. Action directors: Lau Kar-Leung & Lau Kar-Wing.

Full movie. I previously posted the final fight in a much earlier post in this thread, but feel that the full movie is worth posting for anyone interested in seeing it. This is the English language version; however, there are some portions that skip over into Mandarin. This was because the best example of the English version had parts that were in poor condition or missing, so they had to be replaced with the Mandarin parts for completion’s sake.

Starring: Jimmy Wang Yu (the One-Armed Boxer), Kam Kang (Master of the Flying Guillotine), Doris Lung Chun-Erh (young woman), Tsen Chien-Po (Thai Boxer), Lung Fei (Japanese fighter), Wang Yung-Sheng (Indian Yogi), etc.

Before Bruce Lee returned to Hong Kong from the US to make The Big Boss, Jimmy Wang Yu was the biggest name in Hong Kong Kung Fu and wuxia films. Exactly why has always been a mystery to me. IMO, Jimmy Wang Yu didn’t have a major star’s looks, and he definitely didn’t have the martial arts skills. But he did possess a certain charisma. Until his popularity was overshadowed by Bruce Lee, Ti Lung, David Chiang, and others.

Master of the Flying Guillotine was made years after the peak of Jimmy Wang Yu’s popularity, but it was the best movie of his career by far. He wrote, directed, and starred, reprising his role as the One-Armed Boxer. It was also the most famous role for Kam Kang, who played the menacing arch-villain, the master of the flying Guillotine. This movie is legendary among old-school kung fu movie fans. It was made during the time period where most of Taiwan’s best kung fu films were being made. Not because the martial arts shown were the best, but because it had a good storyline and colorful characters. Some of the characters in this movie possess impossible abilities, but it is a fantasy adventure, not intended to be “realistic.” As with any type of action or martial arts movie, it requires an ability to suspend your disbelief. I first saw it at a drive-in theater in 1979, and it is still a favorite of mine.

Although Jimmy Wang Yu’s martial arts skills left much to be desired, in real life, he had a reputation as a very good street fighter with a volatile temper who once beat up multiple opponents in a brawl near the Lung Shan Temple in Taipei, Taiwan.

The swastika on the cloth hanging from the villain’s neck is NOT a Nazi symbol. The swastika was an ancient Asian religious symbol seen in Buddhism, Hinduism, etc., long before the Nazis appropriated and ruined it.

https://youtu.be/sTRXDrdR3zI

Jim
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

The second fight scene in John Wick 3, where he fights the Asian assassins in an old weapons warehouse is epic. They are fighting and both Wick and the combatant pause and realize they are surrounded by walls of knives behind glass. They immediately start breaking the glass and making it a pointy affair. I also love how they incorporated the Belgian Malinois into the fights with Halle Berry. I loved John Wick, just liked JW2 ok, and thought JW3 was better than the rest
James Y

Post by James Y »

twinboysdad wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:27 pm
The second fight scene in John Wick 3, where he fights the Asian assassins in an old weapons warehouse is epic. They are fighting and both Wick and the combatant pause and realize they are surrounded by walls of knives behind glass. They immediately start breaking the glass and making it a pointy affair. I also love how they incorporated the Belgian Malinois into the fights with Halle Berry. I loved John Wick, just liked JW2 ok, and thought JW3 was better than the rest

Thanks for posting, twinboysdad.

I’ll have to watch that ASAP. I’ve seen parts 1 and 2, but for some reason I still haven’t watched part 3 yet.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Heroes of the East (1978; Hong Kong). Director: Lau Kar-Leung. Martial arts director: Lau Kar-Leung.

I already posted some scenes from this movie much earlier in this thread, but for some reason I neglected to post these scenes. Heroes of the East stands out as one of the finest kung fu movies ever made. It featured not only Gordon Liu as the protagonist, but also showcased various Japanese martial arts, performed by actual Japanese actors trained in those arts. Another remarkable aspect of this movie is that there were no true bad guys; the entire conflict between he Chinese and Japanese characters are due to misunderstandings and cultural differences. Most unique of all, none of the characters were killed or even injured.

Heroes of the East remains one of director and choreographer Lau Kar-Leung’s best movies. Lau Kar-Leung also played the Zui Quan (Drunken Fist) master that Gordon Liu’s character tries to learn from, in order to defeat the Japanese karate challenger. To do so, Gordon Liu’s character sends his servants to attack the Drunken Fist master so he can “steal” his strategies and movements.

Note: The first video only contains a link to watch it on YouTube, since it cannot be embedded to play on other websites. It remains my all-time favorite onscreen portrayal of Drunken style, due to Lau Kar-Leung’s amazing physical control.

Drunken scene: Lau Kar-Leung vs Norman Chu & others:

https://youtu.be/aWb8IPb9pn4

Gordon Liu (Drunken Fist) vs Tetsu Sumi (Karate):

https://youtu.be/ZpeRYPVC4rU

This last clip features Jian (Cantonese pronunciation: Gim), or the Chinese straight sword, vs the Japanese katana.

Gordon Liu vs Riki Harada:

https://youtu.be/3LnRwWdNjx8

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Kid From Kwangtung (1982, Hong Kong). Director: Hsu Hsia. Action directors: Hsu Hsia, Yuen Tak & Chui Fat.

I’ve posted some other clips from this movie earlier in this thread, but unfortunately, the best part, the final fight, is not available on YouTube (at least not for free).

This was the first of only two Shaw Brothers Studio movies that Korean martial artist/actor/screen villain (and former member of South Korea's infamous Tiger Division in the Vietnam war) Hwang Jang-Lee appeared in. The other was Ghosts Galore, which I posted the full movie earlier in this thread. Hwang had originally signed a contract to appear in three movies for Shaw Brothers, but he walked off the third one before filming began. The reason was that the lead actor, Wong Yue (who was also the lead protagonist here in this movie) was being lazy and holding up filming. Never one to suffer fools gladly, Hwang went to the producers, asking them to change the lead actor to someone else. When they said no, Hwang simply quit and walked off the set. I don’t know the details of how he got out of his contract for that third movie, or if he simply "persuaded" them to let him out of it. Although generally a good guy in real life, Hwang had a temper. So unfortunately, there never was a third Shaw Brothers film with Hwang as the villain, which is a pity. In Kid From Kwangtung, Hwang did some great work, especially during the final fight.

In the first clip, the lead patriot was played by Unicorn Chan (AKA, “Little Unicorn”). He was a childhood friend of Bruce Lee, and had appeared in 136 movies between 1950 and 1986. But he was most familiar for co-starring with Bruce Lee in Fist of Fury and Way of the Dragon. Unicorn Chan died in a car crash in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, in 1987.

Manchus (Hwang Jang-Lee & henchmen) vs Ming Patriots (Unicorn Chan, Keung Hon, etc.):

https://youtu.be/iLnT1QzLB_s

Yen Shi-Kwan vs henchmen; Hwang Jang-Lee vs Yen Shi-Kwan:

https://youtu.be/iZjCdDYj0_I

Hwang Jang-Lee vs Wong Yue, Cheung Kam & Wong Mei-Mei:

https://youtu.be/JPph0UuZbYY

Jim
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

https://youtu.be/X2bVAGMwi8M

Tom Hardy rocks in this. Love the guttural English accents and brass knuckles
James Y

Post by James Y »

twinboysdad wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:42 pm

Thanks for posting! Legend is a great movie; Tom Hardy did an awesome job in dual roles as the two brothers.

I actually posted that scene earlier in this thread. But it’s so good that it’s always worth seeing it again!

🙂

Jim
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

James Y wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:12 pm
twinboysdad wrote:

Thanks for posting! Legend is a great movie; Tom Hardy did an awesome job in dual roles as the two brothers.

I actually posted that scene earlier in this thread. But it’s so good that it’s always worth seeing it again!

🙂

Jim
Hard to get one by on you Jim! You ever lament not trying your hand at action films? You had the look and the moves!
James Y

Post by James Y »

twinboysdad wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:42 pm
James Y wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:12 pm
twinboysdad wrote:

🙂

Jim
Hard to get one by on you Jim! You ever lament not trying your hand at action films? You had the look and the moves!

Thanks, twinboysdad!

Well, I don’t know if I had the look. I’ve gotta attend to business right now, but I’ll post again later today on my possible “almost-appearance” in a movie, and other related stuff.

🙂

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

OK, so do I lament never having been in action films?

On Page 27 of this thread, I mentioned the time when five of us were training and sparring in a park in Taipei, Taiwan one day, when two men walked up to us. They handed us all their business cards and asked if we wanted to be in a movie. It sounded sketchy to me, so I never followed up. But three of the guys did follow up, and ended up appearing in a movie starring Taiwanese kung fu and action movie star Alexander Lo Rei. Sometime later, I did eventually see that movie in Taiwan (IIRC, someone was playing a VHS tape of it on their TV). I don’t remember the movie’s title. The guys I trained with only appeared in a very brief scene as attackers who were quickly dispatched by Alexander Lo Rei, I think in a parking garage. Nothing special about the scene, and the movie itself sucked. One of the guys, who was from England, had been a very good black belt in Wado-ryu Karate. In the movie, he was dispatched in one or two moves; if you blinked you would’ve missed seeing him.

Do I regret not doing it? Not at all! None of the guys got much money for it, just a flat day’s pay. The movie was ultra-low budget, but didn’t the filmmakers have enough stunt extras for a scene like that? Why search out martial artists training in a park for that? None of them got to show any of their skills. If I was going to be in a kung fu movie and risk getting injured for little pay, I would have at least wanted to be in a big one-on-one fight scene with the lead guy, show some of my stuff, and get some of my own shots in before I lost. Otherwise, it’s a waste of my time. Now, had it been a GOOD movie, I probably would have regretted my decision.

This happened around 1989 or so. By then, the quality Taiwanese period kung fu films of the ‘70s until the mid-‘80s were no longer being made; instead, they were only making modern-day action or ninja-related films, which were poor quality. Alexander Lo Rei had starred in some classic period films in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s, like Shaolin vs Lama (his best; not to be confused with Shaolin Temple Against Lama, which he also starred in), Incredible Kung Fu Mission, Ninja vs Shaolin Guard, Secret Rivals 3, and Shaolin Chastity Kung Fu. But his modern-day action and ninja films that took over from the mid-‘80s to the early ‘90s sucked.

An American friend that I knew in Taiwan and I did write a few action movie scripts together, and we actually came back to the States and spent a few weeks in L.A. in 1987 to register our scripts with the Writers Guild, and to pitch our ideas to film studios. We had written the scripts with the idea of incorporating Hong Kong or Taiwan-style action choreography into American action films, something that at that time was a unique concept. We didn’t actually want to be IN the movies ourselves, just write them and see them get made. We stayed in a cheap motel in Los Feliz and went around and tried pitching our scripts to a bunch of film studios, including Columbia Pictures, Warner Brothers, Paramount, Cannon Films (a now-defunct film company that produced some of the Chuck Norris and Van Damme films in the ‘80s), and others. I can only say that Hollywood is a weird place. Needless to say, nobody ever picked them up, which is probably just as well. Hollywood screen writers, even when their work is accepted for production, often see their work get changed into something unrecognizable from their original concept. After our foray into Hollywood, we went back to Taiwan for several more years.

In Taiwan, I did either know or was acquainted with several actors who had either starred or appeared in old-school kung fu movies in Taiwan. Ironically, one of them (Liu Hao-Yi), who was a senior female classmate of mine at the first kung fu academy I trained at in Taiwan, had co-starred with Alexander Lo Rei in Shaolin Chastity Kung Fu.

MANY years later (10 years ago), at age 48, I actually took up studying film acting for a few years at a reputable school here in San Diego known for producing actors who get work on TV and in films. By then, I just wanted to know more about the craft of acting, and wasn’t really interested in becoming a star or anything. And I wasn’t interested in doing any martial arts on film. After a couple years, I was at best a so-so actor. But I had a lot of experiences (many auditions, as well as showcases in front of top producers in the entertainment industry) that helped me appreciate the craft of acting and taught me a lot about myself. Oddly enough, my best acting was in awkward comedy scenes, as in scripts taken from sitcoms and comedy films that we performed in class, where the characters’ acting styles are more exaggerated and over-the-top. I was also fairly decent at the style of acting for commercials. I had originally thought I’d be more comfortable with a serious, ‘realistic’ acting style, as seen in crime dramas, etc., but that turned out NOT to be the case. Acting is a LOT more difficult than it looks.

The one time I did martial arts in acting class was at a pre-showcase with our acting coach. Everybody in the class had to perform one special talent listed on our resumes in front of the class (I had listed martial arts/kung fu as one of my talents, but hadn’t expected to be called on to do it). The coach wanted me to perform some kung fu. I just threw together a bunch of spontaneous full-speed, continuous fighting combinations from Choy Lee Fut style, similar to shadow boxing, and I was surprised that everyone in the room was so impressed. LOL! But I never wanted to actually showcase martial arts; it was only one of the “special skills” I had listed on my acting resume (the more special talents you have listed on your resume, the better).

But no; I don’t really regret never having been in martial arts or action films.

Oh, look; another long-winded post! 🥵

Jim