How funny is this?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ChrisinHove

How funny is this?

Post by ChrisinHove »

I’m visiting a show called Tankfest this weekend.

As the name implies, it’s all about armoured vehicles, historic and modern

The event faq’s state prominently that no knives will be allowed on the site! The irony!

Not even a SAK .... heck, I guess they may even bar my picnic spork.
The Deacon

Re: How funny is this?

Post by The Deacon »

Just like "No Concealable Firearms" signs at gun shows in this country, it's both funny and sad. Without getting too political, to my eyes both our countries are **** bent on becoming mere caricatures of themselves.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:40 am
Just like "No Concealable Firearms" signs at gun shows in this country, it's both funny and sad. Without getting too political, to my eyes both our countries are **** bent on becoming mere caricatures of themselves.

It probably has a lot to do with the property and the licensing they have and or insurance. I had a big reply to this comparing gun shows to gun ranges but there's probably a lot more to it. Around here most gun shows happen at convention centers who's gun policy isn't going to change for a gun show.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Agreed. If you are going to organize an event like that you are probably gonna need insurance and I would expect most insurance companies to want a no weapons policy.

At least that is who I am gonna point the finger at this time. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:06 am
It probably has a lot to do with the property and the licensing they have and or insurance. I had a big reply to this comparing gun shows to gun ranges but there's probably a lot more to it. Around here most gun shows happen at convention centers who's gun policy isn't going to change for a gun show.

You're probably correct, David. One, or both of those things almost certainly the reason excuse for having the signs. But regardiess of the "why" used to justify it, the "what" is still illogical, funny, sad, and annoying - all at the same time.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

That is something. Chris, what was the most unusual or some very unique tank you saw there? I wonder if anyone has reproductions or actual authentic vintage armored vehicles from the late 19th century or early 20th.

Here is an article I found with some pictures of armored weaponized vehicles from back then:

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/milita ... -tank.html
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

SEF - I’ll let you know if I see any! You don’t tend to see anything pre WW1.

Paul hit the nail on the head - illogical, funny, sad and annoying, all at the same time.
benben

Post by benben »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:30 am
Agreed. If you are going to organize an event like that you are probably gonna need insurance and I would expect most insurance companies to want a no weapons policy.

At least that is who I am gonna point the finger at this time. ;)
I work in the automotive collision industry, we point the (middle) finger at them daily!! Legalized crime that would make gangsters like Al Capone and the like blush and shake their head!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:40 pm
That is something. Chris, what was the most unusual or some very unique tank you saw there? I wonder if anyone has reproductions or actual authentic vintage armored vehicles from the late 19th century or early 20th.

Here is an article I found with some pictures of armored weaponized vehicles from back then:

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/milita ... -tank.html
Nope! Nothing pre-WW1. The Fury Sherman was rambling about, and a recently restored Panther. They didn’t have their Tigers running, but plenty 1940’s - date. The sensation from being close to these monsters is visceral.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

The sensation from being close to these monsters is visceral.
Yes, it is. I had the fortune to serve in Mech units in the army ( though I wasn't a tanker) and I will always recall the impression of a large mechanized or armored unit being on the move and being part of it. I honestly felt at that time nothing on earth outside of a nuke can stop an armored brigade from going exactly where it wants. For a while anyways. :)

Joe
Reject

Post by Reject »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:19 pm
The sensation from being close to these monsters is visceral.
Yes, it is. I had the fortune to serve in Mech units in the army ( though I wasn't a tanker) and I will always recall the impression of a large mechanized or armored unit being on the move and being part of it. I honestly felt at that time nothing on earth outside of a nuke can stop an armored brigade from going exactly where it wants. For a while anyways. :)

Joe
;) I don’t know about that.
Back when the wall was still up in Germany, our mechanized company was on an exchange program with the Brits stationed there.

We were on an exercise with the German troops. It was a pitch black night, carriers parked, slit trenches dug in, all but the diggers on watch were asleep.

I was awoken by the roar of engines to find German Leopard tanks doing circle work all over our camp site. :eek: It was only dumb luck that no one got crushed.

One corporal jumped up with a torch to warn the tanks off and started flashing the torch at them. Then someone appeared out of the dark and grabbed him and demanded to know who he was. He identified him self and then the person started flashing his own torch at the tanks yelling at the commanders, “you’re dead, you’re dead, and you’re dead”.

:cool: It seems that our corporal had destroyed 3 leopard tanks with his torch.

So if are going up against tanks, :p always take a torch with you.
How much can a Koala bear?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

So if are going up against tanks, :p always take a torch with you.
:)
I was awoken by the roar of engines to find German Leopard tanks doing circle work all over our camp site. :eek: It was only dumb luck that no one got crushed.
Tanks in the dark are scary even when your own. Unknown tanks doing that in the darkness would be really scary. There is a reason infantry were referred to as "crunchies" by the tankers eh? :D

I've personally had to do investigations on "training accidents" involving humans and tracked vehicles. The term "grease spot" isn't always an exaggeration.

But, being with a large unit on the attack is an exhilarating feeling moving over the open ground fast trying to keep from hitting the steel walls, roof and sometimes floor. :) I liked helo operations better. Flying 30 foot or so above the trees at a hundred or so MPH watching the ground go by was even more fun.

In my days we were pretty much blind in the dark. Now that's when they do their best work. ;)

Joe