Opinel Outdoor Folder used for Bushcrafting

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Opinel Outdoor Folder used for Bushcrafting

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Vivi, I thought of your posts about using the Opinel folders for outdoor survival and bushcrafting.

In this video they use the Opinel Outdoor to carry out various cutting and chopping and carving chores. This has a Sandvik 12C27 stainless steel blade and Polyamide polymer handle, and the stainless steel Opinel Viro Bloc Ring Lock. The blade thickness is listed on Opinel sites as being 2.5 mm as opposed to the standard carbon and stainless wood-handled Opinels as being thinner.

When you watch the video scroll back all the way to the beginning. I like when he carves out the spoon and also when he does the batoning with the blade. It shows it to be quite durable and tough. There is one scene where a cucumber is sliced and prepared for roasting.

https://youtu.be/83rJi6-RlBg

Here is the official Opinel page on this knife:

https://www.opinel.com/en/multifunction ... oor-orange
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Opinel Outdoor Folder used for Bushcrafting

Post by Doc Dan »

That's the kind of review I like. Show me what the knife will do and cannot do. Do not clutter up the video with opinions based on nothing, drunken rants, cats, or whatever.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:59 am
That's the kind of review I like. Show me what the knife will do and cannot do. Do not clutter up the video with opinions based on nothing, drunken rants, cats, or whatever.
My thoughts exactly, Doc. Thank you!

Do you like the blade shape Opinel chose for it? It seems very durable and efficient and also cosmetically-pleasing.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:38 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:59 am
My thoughts exactly, Doc. Thank you!

Do you like the blade shape Opinel chose for it? It seems very durable and efficient and also cosmetically-pleasing.
It's the same blade shape Opinel use for 99% of their knives..... full flat ground bowie-style blades have worked for at least 100 years.
I have a No7 or No6 knocking about the knife case that works fine with the thin profile- but a little thicker blade won't hurt.

Personally, I like a nice big choil to park my index finger in for the types of tasks shown- as I have sweaty mitts and I worry about sliding down the handle onto the blade with the Opinel 'shape'.

Otherwise- there's plenty of good work been done by unremarkable pocket knives down the centuries that those of us stamping our feet for the latest super-steel could do well remember ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
vivi

Post by vivi »

Opinels are great for this sort of thing. Part of the beauty of their design is one can modify the handle shape to suit their needs.
:unicorn
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I have one and really like it. It's a well thought out knife and can do pretty much what you throw at it. It's not quite as sharp as it's carbon traditional stable mates but it's a phenomenal knife for the money. It goes on hikes with me all the time.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Incidentally, my son is a sailor, and he said if it was only one hand opening, it would be an ideal sailing knife. He's used his on tours of duty.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

MNOSD member 0032
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I so wish they offered it with a plain-edge. I have no use for serrations in a woods-knife. I've used a few Opinel #8s on official Scout trips where a fixed blade was not allowed. The most recent was a Opinel Ebauche in walnut that I finished the handle on.
WalnutEbauche.jpg
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I like them Halfneck! I've used my traditional Opinels on Scout trips too. They cover pretty much anything I've needed to do.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

When I was in scouting we weren’t allowed to have locking knives either. Not sure why, maybe the adults were scared of a gang of locking-knife-wielding kids?
Last edited by Woodpuppy on Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

The Scouts don't allow fixed blades for scout trips? Seems odd. Especially since I've definitely seen vintage boy scout fixed blades for both Europe and America
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:57 pm
The Scouts don't allow fixed blades for scout trips? Seems odd. Especially since I've definitely seen vintage boy scout fixed blades for both Europe and America
As I was told while a Scout Leader - not on "Official" Scout activities. During individual Troop activities it was up to that Troop's leaders. Seems silly as a fixed blade is safer than a folder, but it is what it is. I usually had a inexpensive Mora stashed on my gear somewhere though.

Kind of timely seeing this as I cut myself with the above Opinel last night. Just a small slip, but it is wickedly sharp. Definitely mine now. Scout discussion is also timely as my oldest's son is having his Eagle Scout Ceremony today. He earned it a few months ago, but schedule conflicts have delayed it. Very proud Father, and I'm going to have to work at not getting choked up.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Congratulations to your son! (And you :D )
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Congratulations! I have one son that is already an Eagle and another almost there. Great job on getting your son there!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032