After 5 years, I'm now a Journeyman Electrician!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
soc_monki

After 5 years, I'm now a Journeyman Electrician!

Post by soc_monki »

For me it's seemed really quick. Started not knowing a thing, now I look back and wonder why I was so nervous! Took five long years, worked in Mississippi (my home state!), Kentucky, and Maryland and Virginia. Lots of long days, did a month straight of 10 hours days at one time (good money!). Spent lots of money on tools, lots of time on homework and studying (and more than half of that stuff I can barely remember!) and it all came down to taking my hands on test this past Tuesday.

Friend of mine (and possibly business partner soon) took it and failed the first go around. That really worried me, since some of the stuff he had more experience in the field with. But I shouldn't have been so nervous. We had practiced off and on all this past school year.

I went in at 9 am, I got 3 hours to finish, and aside from a few flubs that I fixed before asking to be graded, I passed! Perfect score as far as I know (I didn't look, I was just happy I could now call myself a Journeyman!)

I also got co-top graduate (tied with another in my class), and received a set of engraved linemans pliers and a new multimeter. Not bad! I don't really like getting a lot of attention, I just do my best and would rather not be put on a pedestal, makes me uncomfortable! But I was proud that I made it through the program!

Anyone else here in the trades? Union, non-union, doesn't matter. We're all out there to make a living! Electrician, iron worker, pipe fitter or millwrights? I have friends in all, so don't be shy!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
The Meat man

Re: After 5 years, I'm now a Journeyman Electrician!

Post by The Meat man »

Congratulations sok monki! I'll bet it's nice to have that behind you. Way to go! :)

I guess you could call me a steelworker. Mainly, we do custom CNC laser cutting, but we also have a CNC press brake and shear, several welders, etc. Most days I run either the laser (6kw fiber optic) or press brake (10 ft. long, 170 ton.) We process literally tons of mild steel, stainless, and aluminum parts every week.

Once in awhile we laser cut knife blanks for a local custom maker, often out of AEB-L or CPM 154. That's kinda fun. ;)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I worked in construction from 14 to 26. Did just about everything as my mom worked for a builder. I worked for IBEW 134/152 on a permit and non union. I was never able to figure out how to get in the IBEW so I went off to college.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Congratulations! That is a great accomplishment.

When I was a young feller, from 13 to my late twenties, I worked at a landscaping company, heating and air conditioning, construction, and home remodeling. I also worked on the small family ranch. THAT was really hard work!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I’m a mechanical guy(HVAC). Been a Journeyman the last three years. Lots of work and good money to be had here(Seattle), and I love my job!
Josh
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

My son is an apprentice carpenter at the local union. I'm very proud of him!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Congratulations! I started out as a site labourer, then draughtsman, then via schooling to surveyor, contract and project management, so I’ve been on a site or two. You have every right to be proud of your achievement and trade.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:42 pm
I worked in construction from 14 to 26. Did just about everything as my mom worked for a builder. I worked for IBEW 134/152 on a permit and non union. I was never able to figure out how to get in the IBEW so I went off to college.
From what I understand, it's hard to get into the union in other parts of the country. You have to know someone, be family, or grease some palms it seems. Where I am we have a huge shortage and they will accept almost anyone. That is a good and bad thing, and there is a lot of good young guys coming up, but there are also a lot of guys who seem like they just want to drag a job out as long as possible and do the minimum work, and call you a worm or suckass for trying to do your job. I don't pay attention, I just do my work and let it speak for itself. I may not be the fastest, I'm still learning! But I'm going to make sure people know I take pride in my work. I don't like all the politics and the bs that goes with it.

I went to college as well, first for medical lab tech, then decided on computer programming. Only have an associates, but I do work on the side, and of course I can learn some plc programming and that goes along with electrical. So it's all good!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:31 pm
Congratulations sok monki! I'll bet it's nice to have that behind you. Way to go! :)

I guess you could call me a steelworker. Mainly, we do custom CNC laser cutting, but we also have a CNC press brake and shear, several welders, etc. Most days I run either the laser (6kw fiber optic) or press brake (10 ft. long, 170 ton.) We process literally tons of mild steel, stainless, and aluminum parts every week.

Once in awhile we laser cut knife blanks for a local custom maker, often out of AEB-L or CPM 154. That's kinda fun. ;)
Sounds fun! It's amazing how some of those machines work, and of course cutting knife blanks...thats what you really want to do, isn't it? Lol
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:35 am
Congratulations! That is a great accomplishment.

When I was a young feller, from 13 to my late twenties, I worked at a landscaping company, heating and air conditioning, construction, and home remodeling. I also worked on the small family ranch. THAT was really hard work!
Ranch work I bet is hard work! I just got my own lawnmower, I'm starting to garden, and all the other general stuff owning your own home entails. All of that is hard work, I can't imagine keeping up a ranch!

Maybe I'm just too soft? Haha!
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

murphjd25 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:41 am
I’m a mechanical guy(HVAC). Been a Journeyman the last three years. Lots of work and good money to be had here(Seattle), and I love my job!
Loving your job is everything imo! When I install something and the lights turn on when you hit it with power, that's the greatest feeling! Doing a nice conduit run (I'm still not good at it, because I just don't do it a lot!), or installing a bunch of lights, and it all works correctly... Or trouble shooting and fixing problems. Love it!

The paychecks are nice too!
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

bearrowland wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:52 am
My son is an apprentice carpenter at the local union. I'm very proud of him!

I've known some good carpenters, and some bad. I think it's the same in any trade really! We don't have them much where I am though. I did work with plenty in Kentucky, good group of guys there! They built some awesome scaffolds! The scaffold guys here in Mississippi though... I can't say I trust them that much!

Give me a good carpenter any day over whoever they have here!
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:11 am
Congratulations! I started out as a site labourer, then draughtsman, then via schooling to surveyor, contract and project management, so I’ve been on a site or two. You have every right to be proud of your achievement and trade.

So you're the boss? Down with the man!!

Only kidding!!

There are people who think that way. I don't get it. Sure you have good and bad everywhere, but I think if you do your work, and communicate, most of the problems can be avoided. Have a question? Ask! Some people are too quick to throw around blame and start shouting it to all the wrong people. Case in point...

One of the things we do is install metric plugs. For welders, in case anyone doesn't know. You have to start the plug and twist to plug it in. 480v, lots of amps. The twist is for safety. Anyway, one of the guys employed by the facility didn't know how to plug in the welder, and instead of asking us, or his boss (who got us to install it) he just says it's broken.

Boss sends emails to everyone, starts badmouthing us, calls us incompetent. Etc etc. One of us goes over there with a new receptacle to fix it, and decides to test the old on. Welder plugs in fine.

Gotta be smarter than what you're working with!

We still haven't gotten an apology either, btw. So frustrating!
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Thanks guys! I admire you. I can MacGyver things together, but I'm just not wired to do the real thing. My father in law is an electrician. He got his training as a Seabee a long time ago.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032