Spirulina

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Spirulina

Post by Doc Dan »

Do any of you take Spirulina? This is an amazing food. It is a space food they plan to feed astronauts with. It may be the end of starvation around the world. It is very healthy for most people and provides essential nutrients.

It does not taste bad, so I often take it straight with water, but it can be had in pills. You can bake with it, mix it in your bread or oats, eaten on a sandwich with other things, and all sorts of ways. It can be grown easily, and quickly. What's not to love?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearrowland

Re: Spirulina

Post by bearrowland »

We have for years. It's touted as a wonder food, and I can't argue with that.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I used to eat this in the form of chocolate flavored spirulina bars sold at health food stores. They say it is packed with nutrients and vitamins and minerals and is great for you.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I have never tried it with chocolate. It is good for us however.

Here is an article from The Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable ... lnutrition

If spirulina were grown on board the space station, it could cleanse the air of carbon dioxide and be a source of food at the same time.

Also, Spirulina can be grown as part of the water/waste management system and be farmed afterwards for eating. It could end malnutrition globally. Interesting stuff.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:48 am
It does not taste bad

At 73, eating is one of the few pleasures I can still enjoy. So, if that's the best endorsement you can give it, I think I'll pass.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:46 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:48 am
It does not taste bad

At 73, eating is one of the few pleasures I can still enjoy. So, if that's the best endorsement you can give it, I think I'll pass.
HahaHa! Yeah, I get you on that one. However, it might help you live healthier and longer. You can get it in pills, chocolate cookies, and all sorts of things.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Years ago when I was deeply into distance running ( 10Ks, 20Ks, Half Marathons ect) I got into all kinds of different health foods and herbal remedies. Some of them I still use to this very day. I distinctly remember using some Spirulina I got from a big herb store here in Kansas City. I was amazed at how it decreased my appetite and I felt it was doing my body some good.

My question at this time is who would be a good source for buying a high grade of Spirulina from? Because like all other health food items there are so many of them that are cheap immitations and really low quality grade as well. The Spirulina I got from that herb store was the real deal and I'll never forget the taste/flavor it had. If I knew of a good vendor for high grade spirulina I would be tempted to try it again. Also I seem to remember that Spirulina and Bee Pollen both seem to give me a lot of resistance to running in very hot conditions. I was told that both of them have a lot of vital minerals which tend to help in that area.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:00 pm
Years ago when I was deeply into distance running ( 10Ks, 20Ks, Half Marathons ect) I got into all kinds of different health foods and herbal remedies. Some of them I still use to this very day. I distinctly remember using some Spirulina I got from a big herb store here in Kansas City. I was amazed at how it decreased my appetite and I felt it was doing my body some good.

My question at this time is who would be a good source for buying a high grade of Spirulina from? Because like all other health food items there are so many of them that are cheap immitations and really low quality grade as well. The Spirulina I got from that herb store was the real deal and I'll never forget the taste/flavor it had. If I knew of a good vendor for high grade spirulina I would be tempted to try it again. Also I seem to remember that Spirulina and Bee Pollen both seem to give me a lot of resistance to running in very hot conditions. I was told that both of them have a lot of vital minerals which tend to help in that area.
Let me look and I’ll get back to you. I am moving slow because of the accident.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The really high quality Spirulina that I used back in my distance running days had the most beautiful blue-green color I ever seen in nature. I would know it if I saw it again. And like everything else there are high grades and low grades of Spirulina. If I start eating that stuff again I only want the high quality stuff.

I also remember reading a most interesting article about Spirulina in one of the old "Runner's World" magazines. At that time there were some university studies where they believed at one time they could cure the world's hunger crisis using Spirulina as a food and food supplement. I've never heard anything along those lines since but it might be a case of "follow the money trail" on that one. But it is a nutrient rich food for sure. It's funny that you don't hear the health food people talk about it much anymore because it is good stuff.

There's a guy I listen to on the radio/internet that preaches that minerals are actually more important than vitamins are. And he also said once that vitamins don't do much good without the trace minerals with them. And Spirulina is a very mineral rich food for sure>> at least the high grade stuff is.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:38 am
The really high quality Spirulina that I used back in my distance running days had the most beautiful blue-green color I ever seen in nature. I would know it if I saw it again. And like everything else there are high grades and low grades of Spirulina. If I start eating that stuff again I only want the high quality stuff.

I also remember reading a most interesting article about Spirulina in one of the old "Runner's World" magazines. At that time there were some university studies where they believed at one time they could cure the world's hunger crisis using Spirulina as a food and food supplement. I've never heard anything along those lines since but it might be a case of "follow the money trail" on that one. But it is a nutrient rich food for sure. It's funny that you don't hear the health food people talk about it much anymore because it is good stuff.

There's a guy I listen to on the radio/internet that preaches that minerals are actually more important than vitamins are. And he also said once that vitamins don't do much good without the trace minerals with them. And Spirulina is a very mineral rich food for sure>> at least the high grade stuff is
We buy from New Life but there are many good brands. Hawaii turns out good spirulina as do some South American countries.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050