The Plastic Problem and Waste Production/Recycling.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

The Plastic Problem and Waste Production/Recycling.

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

You and I constantly read about and hear about the modern problems of waste/trash and pollution and also plastic waste. There is even a massive patch of plastic in the Pacific Ocean and monofilament line and plastic bags, heaps of waste tires and so much of it.

Now many areas are banning the use of single use plastic bags and in the UK and elsewhere there is a growing movement to ban all single-use plastic items, from drinking straws to bags and even cups and plates.

What are the options, alternatives, and answers?

Here are some:

1 develop recyclable paper products that have the durability of plastic.
2 Biodegradable polymers that break down into harmless materials back into the earth and water.
3 Develop even more advanced technologies to recycle the materials to the atoms and molecules.

The latter is fascinating. Years ago I spoke with a chemical engineer about this and he told me that one of his dreams was for mankind to develop a specialized replicator like machine that could break plastic polymers down to the basic molecules, and rearrange those molecules back into fresh materials, using cheap clean energy such as the solar power or fusion. The Star Trek writers were some of the pioneers in this concept.
The Meat man

Re: The Plastic Problem and Waste Production/Recycling.

Post by The Meat man »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:37 pm
...There is even a massive patch of plastic in the Pacific Ocean and monofilament line and plastic bags, heaps of waste tires and so much of it. ...
While it is true that there is a lot of plastic pollution in the oceans, the popular conception of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch as a mass of floating garbage as far as the eye can reach, is not true.

What it is, is an area of ocean with a higher concentration of plastic particles per square kilometer than average.

As far as cleaning it up, I don't know what the best method would be, or if it's even possible. I imagine the cost would be astronomical.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
bearrowland

Re: The Plastic Problem and Waste Production/Recycling.

Post by bearrowland »

The trick is to get everyone working together. If nations can do that, anything is possible cost wise.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032